Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I DID like Udoh pre-draft a lot.

But I'm still excited about the Smiths and Gary on opening day; like, I already was excited. It's only gotten better

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

While Reiff isn't much better than average, at best, it still would have been better for them than Cleveland this year.

I can't wait for Raptor to explain how this makes the Vikings better in 2020!!

Vikings quickly looking like the dumpster of the north.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Aug 2020 13:55
While Reiff isn't much better than average, at best, it still would have been better for them than Cleveland this year.

yeah, and nothing against Cleveland as a longer-term prospect. But he's a guy who notably needed to add strength and better his anchor playing with a partial offseason, and our pass rushers are not the kind of guys you want to face when lacking in functional and football strength.

Again, I am worried about the Vikings in 2021-23ish. I really like a lot of their recent draft picks. But I can't imagine how they think they're going to find more success this year than last.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Aug 2020 14:06
Pckfn23 wrote:

yeah, and nothing against Cleveland as a longer-term prospect. But he's a guy who notably needed to add strength and better his anchor playing with a partial offseason, and our pass rushers are not the kind of guys you want to face when lacking in functional and football strength.

Again, I am worried about the Vikings in 2021-23ish. I really like a lot of their recent draft picks. But I can't imagine how they think they're going to find more success this year than last.
Yeah. I also just think moves like this, which on the face appears to be "win now" moved makes them worse for 2021 - 2023.

But for us, our tackles will also be challenged week 1.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Word is the Packers and Jones are hoping to get a deal done before Week 1.

I have been getting the feeling that Jones wants to be a Packer and it will likely not be a ridiculous deal.

Honestly, I think it makes more sense for RBs to not chase high end money because you are more than likely going to get cut 2 to 3 years into it.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
31 Aug 2020 15:18

I have been getting the feeling that Jones wants to be a Packer and it will likely not be a ridiculous deal.

Honestly, I think it makes more sense for RBs to not chase high end money because you are more than likely going to get cut 2 to 3 years into it.
I'd be a happy guy. I know many are on the other side of this argument, but he is a guy I want to keep around.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I have also heard that the Packers and David B. want to get a deal done before week 1.

I have no sources though. Again. Just "rumor".
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
31 Aug 2020 15:23
I have also heard that the Packers and David B. want to get a deal done before week 1.

Bak, I'd imagine, is a far more complicated contract to finish. Not just the money, but everything else that goes into finishing a 3rd-contract with an older vet.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
31 Aug 2020 15:21
go pak go wrote:

I'd be a happy guy. I know many are on the other side of this argument, but he is a guy I want to keep around.
Jones is too far valuable for us to let go. And honestly the RB market is just so hard. Word is Jones really likes it in GB and really wants to stay which helps with negotiations.

I think when you have a good team fit, both sides can make it work. Aaron Jones can still be a very rich man playing for a team he loves to play for if he isn't ridiculous. And there is risk for Jones too. If a deal doesn't get done and Dillon rips it up....Jones's value will go down.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
31 Aug 2020 15:26
go pak go wrote:
31 Aug 2020 15:23

Bak, I'd imagine, is a far more complicated contract to finish. Not just the money, but everything else that goes into finishing a 3rd-contract with an older vet.
My hope is at least for $ amount that Bak won't have really any higher of a cap hit than he does currently. He is at $14MM in cap this year. I would honestly hope and expect that to fall (obviously) the year he signs....go down for next year and then that 3rd/potential 4th year it goes up pretty good.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Aug 2020 14:06
Pckfn23 wrote:

Man, by 2023, likely they won't have Cook at this rate, Thielen will be about all wrapped up, maybe the same with Rudolph, and Barr, and Kendricks and Smith.

They might gain some cap space moving on from some of them, just seems like the entire entity of their team will likely be gone in 2-3 years.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:

If they pay more than 6mil its too much for a RB.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Aug 2020 17:16
go pak go wrote:

Then you will be disappointed.
Yoop wrote:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pckfn23 wrote:

Don't know if it does. But I don know if it makes them much worse. Reiff was okay during the season but 75% of his pressures came in the playoffs.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Raptorman wrote:
31 Aug 2020 19:18
Pckfn23 wrote:

Don't know if it does. But I don know if it makes them much worse. Reiff was okay during the season but 75% of his pressures came in the playoffs.
Nice spin! :lol:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
31 Aug 2020 17:30
lupedafiasco wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I doubt it. I can’t see the team prioritizing Jones over Bak. Bak is better at what he does than Jones at what he does. I’ll divert back to the team drafting Dillon. You don’t make that move to resign Jones.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Raptorman wrote:
31 Aug 2020 19:18
Pckfn23 wrote:

Nice spin! :lol: :aok:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Aug 2020 19:35
go pak go wrote:
31 Aug 2020 17:30
lupedafiasco wrote:

I doubt it. I can’t see the team prioritizing Jones over Bak. Bak is better at what he does than Jones at what he does. I’ll divert back to the team drafting Dillon. You don’t make that move to resign Jones.
We are already paying Bak. So it's not like we need to save much more money because he will get a significantly higher pay day.

I think we can keep both Bak and Jones. I don't think we can all of Bak, Jones and King.

And this is where I have a tough time with things because I like King more than most do. I just think King is going to be tough for us to retain either way.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, we can sign Bak to basically the same deal we signed Clark to; structure and all. Similar value, not hard to get done.

I either want Jones to get a 2-3 year extension or to walk after this year. The extension with the new money/new years headlines but the slightly lower full-contract value is the best way to please all sides.

I disagree with the sentiment that if you draft Dillon you aren't paying Jones. Dillon gives you a cheap player at the position for 4 years which means you can afford to pay one RB.

I can see both takes. I'm fine either way with him. I won't like if the life of the contract hits double digit average annual value. But I like the 1-2 punch with different styles, strengths and weaknesses. If we don't keep Jones, we need to spend a mid-to-late round pick on another RB, too. A 4th round pick is still a lot cheaper than Jones' contract, but I have much less concern about the cap stuff than a lot of people around here do, so I don't see it as much of a sacrifice.

We can definitely still get 2 guys among Bak, Linsley, Jones, and King; if they go Bak and Jones, so be it. If it's Bak and King, cool. If it's not Bak, eeek OT. If it's Linsley ACK, C money is hard to swallow.