Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yeah, the fact these last two games were on national television with the whole world watching makes it all the sweeter. All those “Love sucks” idiots have been silenced and forced to eat their words. Beautiful.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
03 Dec 2023 23:14
Yeah, the fact these last two games were on national television with the whole world watching makes it all the sweeter. All those “Love sucks” idiots have been silenced and forced to eat their words. Beautiful.
Until the final drive madness, that was THE big narrative emerging from this game and I, for one, was so here for it. Two perfect showcase games.

Importantly, his completion percentage in this 3-game winning streak were 67.5, 68.8, 69.4. all very high AND tending up.

As Mina Kimes noted, the dazzling was always there, but the down-to-down, throw-to-throw consistency wasn't, which stunted drives and drove down his completion percentage. That's gone away.

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

I expect to see Jordan Love’s image on a Wheaties cereal box in a grocery store near you soon.
GO PACK GO!!!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Love is much closer to Favre than Rodgers to me. He gives you a couple shots at picking him off but he’s certainly a playmaker.

LaFleur is scheming his ass off giving Love open receivers and when he makes a questionable pass his receivers are bailing him out which was not happening earlier in the year.

This was the game I really had circled in the schedule because I do believe the majority of the league from GMs on down the coaches are actual morons when in comes to real time decision making. I felt most teams have let Love off the hook by not blitzing harder. The Chiefs brought it tonight and Love beat it. That’s what I needed to see for me to say he’s a real player. He is a good QB.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
03 Dec 2023 23:14
It’s the same thing as when Davante Adams.min 2015. He did suck. Then he didn’t. Same thing with Love. His first half of the season was really bad. Now it’s not.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Love was good we beat the chiefs.

It still felt like there could've been 3 ints. Agree with lupe in part. I don't see the arm of Favre but he has that desire to not see a play die.

Also our team is playing really good. Coaches are calling great games.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

bud fox wrote:
04 Dec 2023 02:21

It still felt like there could've been 3 ints. Agree with lupe in part. I don't see the arm of Favre but he has that desire to not see a play die.

Favre had probably the best arm in the history of the game. He threw like 83 yards in a Pro Bowl skills comp in the 90s. Love probably throws about 65.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

wallyuwl wrote:
04 Dec 2023 13:28
bud fox wrote:

Favre had probably the best arm in the history of the game. He threw like 83 yards in a Pro Bowl skills comp in the 90s. Love probably throws about 65.,
I basically agree with this. I don't want to be too negative here as Love has overall really improved, and you can win with that. I think he struggles with them particular throws that take great arm talent. Most QB do. That could be a mirage also. I have noticed rolling out right, under duress, the results haven't been great, in part because the throw wasn't a spiral. Lets be honest, there were times we almost wished Rodgers got forced out of the pocket because so many times he would unload a throw that was a fricken laser with accuracy. In Loves defense, the wr's need to help him out more in the scramble drill. Maybe thats the next thing MLF and coaches can have them improve on.

Go Pack Go.

BTW, Love was really good last night. QBR of 90 +. When he does that they will win more often than not :clap: :banana:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Favre had probably the best arm in the history of the game. He threw like 83 yards in a Pro Bowl skills comp in the 90s. Love probably throws about 65.
This would go about 59-60. Really doesn't step into it much, and throws it sky high, a poor trajectory for distance.

I'd be confident he can smash 65, especially in a pro bowl skills competition setting.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

This is more of a offense as a whole thought, but needs to be led by J. Love. The offense needs to make defenses pay when they blitz. Yes, alot goes into this, more than I know. This will take time, but there was a period of time that teams became fearful of blitzing Rodgers because he and the receivers would make them pay. Something to work on. Yeah I know I am nitpicking, but its sometimes the little things that can make you great.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

MY_TAKE wrote:
04 Dec 2023 15:54
This is more of a offense as a whole thought, but needs to be led by J. Love. The offense needs to make defenses pay when they blitz. Yes, alot goes into this, more than I know. This will take time, but there was a period of time that teams became fearful of blitzing Rodgers because he and the receivers would make them pay. Something to work on. Yeah I know I am nitpicking, but its sometimes the little things that can make you great.
Love has gone from panicking from the blitz to surviving the blitz. Next step is exploiting the blitz. We haven't gotten to that yet. Maybe next season he'll have a signal or few for hot route variations.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

GB and AR had to coax sensei out of retirement; damn glad they did because he's so proficient at developing QBs
This is likely Tom's last stop in his illustrious playing & coaching career. I hope his latest pupil gets him another Championship to add to his well-stocked Trophy cabinet. Clements has gotta be thrilled with young Jordan's progress as an NFL starter.

IT. IS. TIME

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

bud fox wrote:

I must say, you're having to work hard to find the negatives after that one.

Which three passes could have been ints? I don't recall any where the defender touched the ball first.

Love hasn't yet thrown an interception when we were ahead. Against Oakland he threw two interceptions when we were narrowly behind and plenty of time to go; every single one of the other interceptions has either been in a late drive where we must have a TD, or when time was short and we were two or three scores down and must have a TD. In other words, when Love had to take a chance. When being careful is an option, apart from that one game v Oakland, he has kept the ball safe.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Dec 2023 19:16
Make no mistake about it. What Love has done these past few weeks and playing some bums over the next few he’s getting $40M+
Maybe it averages that but I think it will be less. At the very least the cap number will ascend over time, allowing room for the team to grow, along with the cap.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

wallyuwl wrote:
bud fox wrote:

I remember MacArthur Lane on the old NFL TV competition like Superstars. He would throw with the QBs for distance. If I remember I think he threw 80yds.

Love already has AR beat. On 4th down he launched it toward a receiver rather than take sack like AR did several times early in his career.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

dsr wrote:
04 Dec 2023 18:42
bud fox wrote:

I must say, you're having to work hard to find the negatives after that one.

Which three passes could have been ints? I don't recall any where the defender touched the ball first.

Love hasn't yet thrown an interception when we were ahead. Against Oakland he threw two interceptions when we were narrowly behind and plenty of time to go; every single one of the other interceptions has either been in a late drive where we must have a TD, or when time was short and we were two or three scores down and must have a TD. In other words, when Love had to take a chance. When being careful is an option, apart from that one game v Oakland, he has kept the ball safe.
Yeah, I’d be curious to hear which 3 throws were interception level. I believe I saw a PFF eval today that indicated 0 interceptable throws. I sure as hell don’t remember any.

And yeah, hard work indeed letting go of that increasingly poor Jordan Love narrative.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Madcity_matt wrote:
04 Dec 2023 19:27
lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Dec 2023 19:16
Make no mistake about it. What Love has done these past few weeks and playing some bums over the next few he’s getting $40M+
Maybe it averages that but I think it will be less. At the very least the cap number will ascend over time, allowing room for the team to grow, along with the cap.
I think I agree with [mention]lupedafiasco[/mention] on this one.

Love’s play, along with the continually escalating QB salaries, pretty much assure him a contract with an AAV north of $40m/year. There are currently 12 QB contracts already in that range and to expect anything less, based upon how Love has performed of late, is wishful thinking.