2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:05
Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:02
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Nov 2023 19:01
If your run defense depends on a defender getting off a block and making a play instead of scheming a one on one with the ball carrier, you are doing it wrong.
there isn't a dc in this league that would agree with that statement
I see you are in argue mode yet again, so I will let you believe your incorrect assumption.
If only you guys would do this, we'd save so much board space. :) I suggest, on a trial basis, letting him believe (by not responding) whatever he wants until/unless somebody else chimes in on his side.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

APB wrote:
27 Nov 2023 11:45
Never would have expected Valentine to perform this well. Still not sure I trust him completely - Mahomes and Co. should provide a good test - but damn he's been a pleasant surprise thus far.

I could not agree more about Valentine and also agree about the upcoming KC game being an excellent opportunity for him to shine. Mahomes is obviously the best, but KC's WRs are meh.

I see a young, very aggressive CB who is "right there" when the ball comes his way. Maybe he is too green to know what he does not know?

My only fear is that he will transformed into a soft, passive corner in the mold that GB seems to prefer.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Hated the 3rd and 18 3-man rush. Still hate the run defense.

But the reality is that the D, currently 14th in ppg, only gave up 19 points to the Chiefs and I have no doubt that it will be a top 10 unit by the end of the season after facing QBs Devito, Mayfield, Young, Dobbs (or Mullens or Hall), and Fields (possibly in his final game ever as a Bear) to end the season.

Joe Barry has not done enough to not get himself fired.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/o ... s-per-game

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

LombardiTime wrote:
04 Dec 2023 10:51

But the reality is that the D, currently 14th in ppg, only gave up 19 points to the Chiefs and I have no doubt that it will be a top 10 unit by the end of the season after facing QBs Devito, Mayfield, Young, Dobbs (or Mullens or Hall), and Fields (possibly in his final game ever as a Bear) to end the season.

Yeah, I don't know how this D can be so frustrating on a play by play basis, yet keep delivering the results we've been seeing the last month or so.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
04 Dec 2023 14:03
LombardiTime wrote:

Yeah, I don't know how this D can be so frustrating on a play by play basis, yet keep delivering the results we've been seeing the last month or so.
I think Barry signed a 3 year deal. This would be his final year which means we don't have to fire him and I think that is an advantage. It means we can seek out others for the position before his termination.

I also think we need to give credit to him here. Say what you will but the end results of:

3 Points
23 Points
20 Points
22 Points
19 Points

While the defense also scored for the Packers in the last 5 games is winning football
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
LombardiTime wrote:

As horrible as it is to watch offenses just walk down the field on long drives we do make it very hard to score and as we seen in this game eventually a penalty, sack or turnover will happen. Mahomes was great and made plays most QBs probably dont on long conversions.

We arent the only ones playing this way either. Pretty much you have the Chiefs/Vikings defenses that just send the house every play or you have what we run where everyone sits back and forces a very patient offense to play mistake free. What we are missing is being more physical and rallying to the ball. Too many defenders tanding around or not tackling well enough. If we allowed less yards after contact this would be an elite defense statistically but thats on the players on the field. Barry has been a good DC this year.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

could it be do to pass rush? without looking I'd bet we are also in this time span doing very well in that category, initial coverage though must be good, I think young CB's can do well if they have good cod skills for man coverage, as long as the pass rush arrives so they don't have to shadow as well as the routes progress, whatever both the tines seem to be doing pretty good, Ballentine had 10 tackles, and plays like a safety, very physical.

still there where times when the pass rush was stymied and the coverage held up very well, very impressive for such a young secondary, Barry has probably gained some job security

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
04 Dec 2023 14:19
BF004 wrote:
LombardiTime wrote:

I think Barry signed a 3 year deal. This would be his final year which means we don't have to fire him and I think that is an advantage. It means we can seek out others for the position before his termination.

I also think we need to give credit to him here. Say what you will but the end results of:

3 Points
23 Points
20 Points
22 Points
19 Points

While the defense also scored for the Packers in the last 5 games is winning football
Barry is on track to return next year unless Selah becomes available for DC. The d has been fine.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
04 Dec 2023 14:40
go pak go wrote:
04 Dec 2023 14:19
BF004 wrote:

3 Points
23 Points
20 Points
22 Points
19 Points

Barry is on track to return next year unless Selah becomes available for DC. The d has been fine.
I'm not willing to go that far as we don't have to extend him. But the case to resigning Barry is growing for sure.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The concern for me with Barry is how is his D going to look when the QB gets paid more and more, and he has less to work with?

Bluntly, I don't believe he deserves a chance to show us. Capers was able to create an elite defense here before we were on the Franchise QB budget, and had been a good DC before GB. Barry has done neither. His defense is just "good enough" with lots of talent.

I don't need to see how he does with less talent to know what will happen. It's common sense: the D will go from "good enough to win" to "costing us games." If common sense is not enough, we have pre-GB years to judge. The personnel did him no favors, but they weren't simply below-average, they were awful. He's never led a defense to be great in his life, as Capers did before and during GB, or even Pettine before GB.

So I'd oppose bringing him back, and this year's D doesn't change my mind. I do not trust him with the D on a budget any tighter than this.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Labrev wrote:
04 Dec 2023 15:20
The concern for me with Barry is how is his D going to look when the QB gets paid more and more, and he has less to work with?

Bluntly, I don't believe he deserves a chance to show us. Capers was able to create an elite defense here before we were on the Franchise QB budget, and had been a good DC before GB. Barry has done neither. His defense is just "good enough" with lots of talent.

I don't need to see how he does with less talent to know what will happen. It's common sense: the D will go from "good enough to win" to "costing us games." If common sense is not enough, we have pre-GB years to judge. The personnel did him no favors, but they weren't simply below-average, they were awful. He's never led a defense to be great in his life, as Capers did before and during GB, or even Pettine before GB.

So I'd oppose bringing him back, and this year's D doesn't change my mind. I do not trust him with the D on a budget any tighter than this.
Just as a note, a secondary can't get much cheaper than what we've fielded last few weeks without Alexander and Stokes. Highest paid was Nixon at $2,770,000 cap hit, and he earned it all with an INT.

I'd be in favor of getting an elite DC, but considering what Barry has had to work with, last few weeks have been amazing.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Dec 2023 14:26
BF004 wrote:
LombardiTime wrote:

As horrible as it is to watch offenses just walk down the field on long drives we do make it very hard to score and as we seen in this game eventually a penalty, sack or turnover will happen. Mahomes was great and made plays most QBs probably dont on long conversions.

We arent the only ones playing this way either. Pretty much you have the Chiefs/Vikings defenses that just send the house every play or you have what we run where everyone sits back and forces a very patient offense to play mistake free. What we are missing is being more physical and rallying to the ball. Too many defenders tanding around or not tackling well enough. If we allowed less yards after contact this would be an elite defense statistically but thats on the players on the field. Barry has been a good DC this year.
Big Papa John gonna sign off on this one. I endorse this assessment of Barry's defense.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Labrev wrote:
04 Dec 2023 15:20

I think it’s the reverse. The past several Rodgers years, and this one where we still have love+Rodgers dead cap taking up almost 50. I don’t see any way we are paying love close to that much per year.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Make no mistake about it. What Love has done these past few weeks and playing some bums over the next few he’s getting $40M+
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I moved the last hanful of posts on Love and his contract to the Love thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1349&start=1060

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

these guys are sure helping Barry keep his job.

PFF GB Packers
@PFF_Packers
Most QB pressures this season:

Rashan Gary - 41
Kenny Clark - 41
Devonte Wyatt - 30
Preston Smith - 30
Karl Brooks - 19

161 from these 5 in 12 games, add another 5 games comes to over 220 from this group, seems pretty good to me.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Does anyone know what position David Long played with the Rams? I liked him coming out of Michigan as a late Day 2 pick.

He is a smaller guy but seems pretty tough. Did he end up playing the slot in LA or was he an outside corner?
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

go pak go wrote:
08 Dec 2023 10:20
Does anyone know what position David Long played with the Rams? I liked him coming out of Michigan as a late Day 2 pick.

He is a smaller guy but seems pretty tough. Did he end up playing the slot in LA or was he an outside corner?
Based on limited highlights, looks like he played both. His interception vs AZ was in the slot. His pass breakup vs Hopkins was in the slot.

His interception vs the bears was outside CB
Yoop wrote:

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I'm happy we're winning, but i'm still not sold on this defense. I don't care what the stats say, we should be better. Other than a kneel down in the first half the chiefs didn't score points, but man did they move the ball. Thankfully we got 2 sacks inside the 10 yard line after a 15 play drive. Then our defense followed that up by giving up a 16 play drive where thankfully the chiefs had a 10 yard penalty they couldn't over come.

I $%@# hate this "wait for them to make a mistake" and "survive the down" philosophy that seems to come from the top when we have the players to force a 3 and out and give the ball back to our offense with out giving up points and by giving them good field position.

Then they promptly gave up another drive in the teens for plays run and gave up the TD. Just couldn't survive enough downs I guess on that one.

Then another 14 play drive for another TD. Damn it guys, just survive the down.

and unforced error where MVS shades to the middle of the field rather than outside ended another drive for them and then the end of the game.

We have the players to be better than we are. yeah i'm happy we won, but this is going to be year 4 now? of the same stuff. Barry sucks, we hit a stretch where we win and barry looks like he's doing enough meanwhile it's just minor bounces of the ball making the difference and we have guys to dominate, then we lose when the games matter and the other team doesn't just shoot themselves in the foot for us because we'd rather wait for mistakes than force them from the start.
Last edited by musclestang on 08 Dec 2023 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Still mad that the refs did not give the ball to the Pack on Pickett's lateral that Rashan Gary recovered in Pittsburgh. I think we win if that happens.

That said, after seeing the Steelers get dominated, at home, by the lowly, 2 win Cardinals and Patriots (it was 21-3 NE at one point) within the past 4 days, I remain amazed that Joe Barry went into that game not wanting to get beat by Pitt's awful passing attack and seemed OK letting the Steelers run for 200+ yards.

10, 20, 10, 16, 10, 18, and 23 are Pittsburgh's point totals the past 7 weeks. We lost 23-19 to the Steelers.

The Giants have scored 0, 12, 3, 16, 9, 14, 10, 6, 17, and 10 in games so far this season. They average 12.3 ppg and only the Jets are wore.

Planning for NY to rely upon Barkley in the running game and holding them to 17 or fewer points should be the expectation Monday night.