Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

lupedafiasco wrote:
05 Dec 2023 22:21
There were very few QBs as inaccurate as Love was in the first half of the season. He was truly awful. A lot of people are saying it but I don’t know if we have ever seen this type of turn around in season. At least not in my lifetime.

He went from missing badly or making everything harder in his receivers to diming them and putting it only were they can get it and it’s consistent.
He wasn't "truly awful". "Not good enough" I would accept, but certainly not awful. Like I have said elsewhere, he only threw interceptions when we were chasing games and taking risks was essential (Oakland game excepted, and that's the one game when you could call him awful).

He still hasn't thrown an interception while we have been leading.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Dec 2023 23:17
lupedafiasco wrote:
05 Dec 2023 22:21
There were very few QBs as inaccurate as Love was in the first half of the season. He was truly awful. A lot of people are saying it but I don’t know if we have ever seen this type of turn around in season. At least not in my lifetime.

He went from missing badly or making everything harder in his receivers to diming them and putting it only were they can get it and it’s consistent.
The problem is can you blame the early season on inaccuracy or was it miscommunication? Given the last month the latter seems more likely.
Probably Both. I honestly am not trying to rip. I am super pumped the way he is playing. There were also times where he didn't throw it to a wide open guy, which would have been the best decision which he didn't always make. Now he seems to be making the right play almost all the time. He is just playing better and thus we have results. Of course its also on other players too, but to act like he is playing the same and everyone else was jacked up is kind of crazy talk to me.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

dsr wrote:
06 Dec 2023 03:52
He wasn't "truly awful". "Not good enough" I would accept
This :lol:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Dec 2023 11:29
Media way overplaying the “Love was atrocious to start the year and now all of a sudden he’s good” angle. Love was good to start the year, struggled in the 2nd quarter of the year along with the rest of the team, and is now playing his best ball.

He has never been “awful” this year
I've been one of Love's biggest defenders but let's be honest, he gave the national media and football fans everywhere plenty of reason to think he didn't have "it"...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
06 Dec 2023 06:32
Drj820 wrote:
Media way overplaying the “Love was atrocious to start the year and now all of a sudden he’s good” angle. Love was good to start the year, struggled in the 2nd quarter of the year along with the rest of the team, and is now playing his best ball.

I've been one of Love's biggest defenders but let's be honest, he gave the national media and football fans everywhere plenty of reason to think he didn't have "it"...

That's also very fair.

I think if you want to see the "true" feelings of this forum of Jordan Love at the low point just go read through the Vikings Game and Post Game Thread.

I know I for one stated that I don't know if Jordan Love is our guy long term.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

APB, that was on Myers for not snapping the ball, it was suppose to be a A gap sneak, I though that was discussed here, or I read it somewhere. :idn:

I tend to agree that Love looked good to start, then the line and the receivers made it harder, love struggled, then it seemed all 3 parts improved, the blocking improved, the receivers quit making mistakes and caught the passes, and Love has made better decisions, imo mostly based on the improvement of those first 2, if either or both had started better LOve would have looked like he did against the Bears.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Yes I am the night shift guy.
So, I just got done watching the "QB school" guy break down some of the film on Love against KC. It was a beautiful thing to watch. The one thing he kept saying or alluding to (and you can see the difference from some other film breakdown) was how quick , decisive and ON TIME and accurate his throws were. QB and recievers on the same page with decisive route running. TWO cases where TWO guys were wide open and Love just had to pick one. He did with perfection. The more REPS the better it gets!!! Yes I am super pumped after watching that. He anticipated things and processed faster I believe. That was my argument earlier. Don't care anymore. He looked even better on breakdown film.!!!!! :banana:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

MY_TAKE wrote:
05 Dec 2023 23:57
oop was trying to say the same thing during the niner/eagle game the other day until Purdy and company destroyed them in the second half.
I said that right after a toss off target that Ayuik (SP) had to stretch to catch which I've seen plenty of with him, then he didn't throw a bad pass again, great, your right he is playing well enough, and your also right, on another team things could be different.
having a bunch of quality skill position players does make the QB's job easier, I've been also saying that a long time :) I think Purdy makes that case.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
06 Dec 2023 06:46
APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

APB, that was on Myers for not snapping the ball, it was suppose to be a A gap sneak, I though that was discussed here, or I read it somewhere. :idn:
First, if it was on Myers, why did none of the other players move when Love did? Were they, too, all at fault while Love remained faultless?

Second, you miss the point.

Regardless of who's fault it is, the take-away from watching that play is Love looks like a fool. Combined with some of the other failures of the offense - an offense Love was leading - it gave media and fans plenty of ammo to label him as inept/atrocious.

Again, I have made plenty of arguments refuting it all being Love's fault. My biggest point being it was way too early to pass judgment. There is no need to regurgitate any of that here, though. I'm saying the criticism of mid-season Love was, from a national perspective, understandable given the mistakes being made by Love and the offense.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I have been defending Love all along and I still think he is going to be a long term above average NFL starting QB.

But lets see Love without a healthy Watson before we start anointing him. Lets give Reed and Wicks and the TE's a lot of credit too.

And lets give a lot of credit to the Oline, not only for good pass blocking but for giving the Packers a credible running game. Myers has been a plus for the last several games. Jenkins is healthy for the last several games. And Tom and Walker are playing as if they were in their 3rd year and had been drafted in the first two rounds.

IMO Love is an average starting NFL QB right now. And if you give an average NFL starting QB time to throw, an adequate running game and good receivers that get open, good things happen. Good things like beating the defending SB champions.

Doesn't hurt that MLF has started using the entire playbook either.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
06 Dec 2023 08:13
I have been defending Love all along and I still think he is going to be a long term above average NFL starting QB.

But lets see Love without a healthy Watson before we start anointing him.
Absolutely.

Much like the arguments of it being too soon to pass judgment on him when he was struggling, it's also too soon to pass judgment based on a few good games. Sure, he's demonstrated a level of arm talent that gives us hope but Jay Cutler had arm talent, too, and Cutler was also capable of stringing together a few good games.

Give it until seasons end and then we'll have a good idea of whether Love is the real deal or not. I, personally, like what I've seen thus far, though.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

MY_TAKE wrote:
05 Dec 2023 23:57
Raptorman wrote:
05 Dec 2023 22:20
Purdy's abilities are overrated.
Not sure what you exactly mean? Strong Arm? no. Tall and fast? no. Smartest QB ever? I have no idea.

However, since he took over for the niners he has been playing QB at a level that really is top 3 no matter how you slice it. Does he have better weapons than other teams and a great offensive minded coach? no question. Apparently Shannahan thinks fairly high of him considering he shipped his former high #1 pick to Dallas.

I don't want Purdy on the Packers. I want Jordon Love, But you sound like Nick Wright now on "first things first" ( who I find very entertaining). Yoop was trying to say the same thing during the niner/eagle game the other day until Purdy and company destroyed them in the second half.

Your only overrated if the masses think your better than you are. I suppose if you put him on Panthers he might look average at best.(poor Bryce Young), but that goes for basically everyone. All he does is kick ass at playing QB right now and winning with the team he has. If it was just defense that made a QB look good than the Browns QB's should resemble Joe Montana and Marino. :rotf:

Anyway, I think he currently is playing at a fairly high level. Could he have a !@#$ poor game? Of course. I hope he does. Against us in the Playoffs hopefully. :lol: :lol: I should say us Packer fans :roll:
I measure the quality of a QB on what he does when his defense gives up more than 19 points a game. Even the poorest QB has a winning percentage at that level. What happens when he HAS to score 25 points or 35 points to win? That's where the good QBs are found. I'll give you a good example. Mitch Trubiskey. 19 points and under by the defense he's 22-5. 20-25 points, he's 7-9. Purdy doesn't have enough games above 20 to have proved himself. And those that he has, not looking good.

Justin Fields is 5-5 in games under 19. His career is going to be very short.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I can't find anything to back up what I said, at minimum it's just a broken play, if memory serves it was 3rd or 4th and short, and Love is attempting to sneak on the right side of Myers.

it is soooo PC to not admit that Love is one of the hottest QB's in the league these last few games, or to think that wont continue, or that minus all the BS that happened wasn't the cause for most of Loves struggles earlier.

I don't understand how people once very high on Love, now take such a conservative position.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
06 Dec 2023 08:59
I can't find anything to back up what I said, at minimum it's just a broken play, if memory serves it was 3rd or 4th and short, and Love is attempting to sneak on the right side of Myers.

it is soooo PC to not admit that Love is one of the hottest QB's in the league these last few games, or to think that wont continue, or that minus all the BS that happened wasn't the cause for most of Loves struggles earlier.

I don't understand how people once very high on Love, now take such a conservative position.
Absolutely no problem stating Love is one of, if not THE, hottest QB in the league right now based on the last few games.

To project that will continue? I certainly don't expect the same level of play we have seen the last 2 - 3 weeks. The last two - 3 weeks have been God-mode. That is really hard to keep up. Like we are at MVP level if he keeps this up the next 5 games.

I think there are two kind of fans:

1. Roller Coaster emotion and the most recent results get projected to everything moving foward (these are the fans who say "I can't see us winning another game or I can't see us lose another game)

2. The steady eddies. These fans enjoy the moment. Realize there are ups and downs and it's a long season. Wait to express ultimate judgement.

Usually these two fans don't jive very well post game.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I was defending Love until that awful streak in October. Though I think I was more in the camp of "He might have it, but this season is going so awful that it's going to destroy him mentally like it does most young QB's in bad situations".

And that is the one thing that excites me a lot. Jordan could have buckled under the pressure, but he didn't.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

go pak go wrote:
06 Dec 2023 09:10
Yoop wrote:

Absolutely no problem stating Love is one of, if not THE, hottest QB in the league right now based on the last few games.

To project that will continue? I certainly don't expect the same level of play we have seen the last 2 - 3 weeks. The last two - 3 weeks have been God-mode. That is really hard to keep up. Like we are at MVP level if he keeps this up the next 5 games.

1. Roller Coaster emotion and the most recent results get projected to everything moving foward (these are the fans who say "I can't see us winning another game or I can't see us lose another game)

2. The steady eddies. These fans enjoy the moment. Realize there are ups and downs and it's a long season. Wait to express ultimate judgement.

Certainly not worth the time to look back, but I'd be willing to bet that there weren't a whole lot of steady eddies advising that we R-E-L-A-X after the close losses to inferior (certainly at the time) teams.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
06 Dec 2023 08:27
Sure, he's demonstrated a level of arm talent that gives us hope but Jay Cutler had arm talent, too, and Cutler was also capable of stringing together a few good games.
Apropos of nothing, but I wonder about Cutler. He looked promising in Denver, then Josh McDaniels came in at HC and ran him out of town on Day 1 of their relationship. Then he went to the franchise where QBs go to die and, while mediocre overall, was more successful than almost anyone else has been there.

If he can be mid in Chicago, I wonder how it plays out if he goes to a franchise that knows how to develop QBs and put together a good supporting cast on O.

Cutler has always been a big "what if?" for me.

Yoop wrote:
Not me. I have seen enough. Love = The Guy, rightful QB1 for the next 3-4 years :) and I am fairly confident that the timeline will lengthen.

There is no rush, so I would still just wait until the end of the season, but an extension is a question of when, not if.

'Could an epic nosedive in his play occur that would get me to withdraw support? Sure, yet I find that highly improbable, based on what his "floor" appears to be, that I am left with no real reservations going forward.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
06 Dec 2023 09:29
APB wrote:
06 Dec 2023 08:27
Sure, he's demonstrated a level of arm talent that gives us hope but Jay Cutler had arm talent, too, and Cutler was also capable of stringing together a few good games.
Apropos of nothing, but I wonder about Cutler. He looked promising in Denver, then Josh McDaniels came in at HC and ran him out of town on Day 1 of their relationship. Then he went to the franchise where QBs go to die and, while mediocre overall, was more successful than almost anyone else has been there.

If he can be mid in Chicago, I wonder how it plays out if he goes to a franchise that knows how to develop QBs and put together a good supporting cast on O.

Cutler has always been a big "what if?" for me.

Yoop wrote:
Not me. I have seen enough. Love = The Guy, rightful QB1 for the next 3-4 years :) and I am fairly confident that the timeline will lengthen.

There is no rush, so I would still just wait until the end of the season, but an extension is a question of when, not if.

'Could an epic nosedive in his play occur that would get me to withdraw support? Sure, yet I find that highly improbable, based on what his "floor" appears to be, that I am left with no real reservations going forward.
spot on, minus the issues I mentioned and Love would have had a much smoother going mid season, Lafleur finally helped out Love by designing better protection, as well as these receivers doing a better job of separating, it's near impossible for even the best vet QB's to make good decision when they never know where the pressure will come from, just that it will come, which is fair to say happened in that span of games.

the object of paying a guy like Bakhtiari is the hope that the QB never has to look in that direction, and a free rusher will never come from that side of the field, I'll stick to my opinion, pass rush ruins more young QB then any other factor, and it isn't even close, it improved with us , and walla, Love also improved.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
06 Dec 2023 09:10
Yoop wrote:

again this is so internet driven, it's not steady eddiness, people take neutral or conservative position because that allows them to NEVER be wrong, thats it. works great in the business world, in something like this though all it does is make you a fence sitter, if ya don't feel strong enough concerning your opinion thats probably where you belong

Love would be doing what he's doing now, or close to it had he a group of more experienced receivers, if he had a LT, as well as other lineman that didn't completely wiff on blocking free rushers, I kept saying that when this stuff was happening, yet you and no one else listened, heck I've preached this stuff since the 3rd game of the season

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Jordan Love had his own failings during the losing streak independent of anyone else. He has improved himself.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 06 Dec 2023 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."