Week 14 Post-Game: Giants-24 Packers-22

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Dillon is certainly a guy that will get you about 3 yards on average a carry if he gets 8-10 Carries.

He’s a bruiser. He needs 20+ Carries.

Defense will not tackle him with the same zeal come the second half and that average will go way up.

Last night was the perfect game for that too btw
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

JKB wrote:
12 Dec 2023 16:04
Madcity_matt wrote:
12 Dec 2023 09:17
TheSkeptic wrote:
12 Dec 2023 08:58
Last week I posted that we would not really know how much of the recent success was due to a healthy Watson and how much to Love.

Now we know.

But the O still did enough to win. Fire Barry
It seems pretty clear that we are a very different team with Watson on the field. Question is if they can figure out a way to keep him on the field.
Once you have a problematic long term hammy issues. Always will
Yes.

Also looking like Jones is at the point (age) he will always be hurt. That sucks.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Dec 2023 16:26
Dillon is certainly a guy that will get you about 3 yards on average a carry if he gets 8-10 Carries.

Defense will not tackle him with the same zeal come the second half and that average will go way up.

I agree. I actually think Dillon is the type of back you need to feed a lot for him to be effective.

And for that reason, I don't think he should be resigned because he isn't a #1 back but is pretty ineffectve if he doesn't get 20+ carries.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TheSkeptic wrote:
12 Dec 2023 16:01
The current weak link in the Oline is JRJ and he will not be starting for the Packers next year - that alone will make Dillon look better.
I don't think it's that simple. Our offense asks the RBs to run lots of outside zone and stretch plays.

Dillon is adequate at it but it's not his bread-and-butter and so he is probably never going to more than just average. Unless MLF is going to radically change his running playbook, AJ needs to go to a system like the Ravens' that just has its RBs run north-and-south where his running style can shine.

And we need to get guys who can make plays on those sorts of runs.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

JKB wrote:
12 Dec 2023 16:04
It seems pretty clear that we are a very different team with Watson on the field. Question is if they can figure out a way to keep him on the field.
That and not having our RB1 healthy and available for all but 2 quarters this season.

The more success Watson has had it only stands to reason that the packers face two deep safeties more often. "23" could probably look and see if this is true. :lol: Obviously running the ball effectively helps pull them safeties up some. Anyway, they still could have won this game with a little better play all aound.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Eh. I used to think AJ Dillon was quite bad, but the last few games, he has shown something. I think he still has a role.

I think part of the issue with him is the hype he came into the league with, and then the lack of production relative to that hype. But I still think he has a role on the team. Arguably Jamal Williams was better at short yardage, but Dillon has been actually sort of effective, so I would be fine offering him a second contract assuming that contract isn't very expensive. Also there have been a few games this season where he has seemed better than Aaron Jones (when they both played).

Regardless, if we are going to run the MLF/Shanahan offense I think we all want, we need to retool at RB significantly. I am coming around to the opinion of my friend (the football expert), who values the big RBs like not at all and just wants a fast guy. He even mentioned putting Jayden Reed at RB, he values speed alone pretty much. And I think that in today's NFL, that's maybe more of a correct philosophy than it used to be. In any event, I like the Deebo role, and if we are going to be like SF (or TEN, where MLF previously was), we need to greatly upgrade our RB room with at least 1 but probably multiple RBs.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

texas wrote:
12 Dec 2023 19:08
I think part of the issue with him is the hype he came into the league with, and then the lack of production relative to that hype. But I still think he has a role on the team
He has a role. I just don't want him as the main option.
texas wrote:
we need to greatly upgrade our RB room with at least 1 but probably multiple RB
I have been saying this for a couple weeks now. I agree.
texas wrote:
Also there have been a few games this season where he has seemed better than Aaron Jones (when they both played).
I just don't think jones has ever been healthy since the first game and certainly hasn't had any real good practice reps and he is getting older. Its been a lost year for him. Starting to think its a lost year for Jaire too.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The problem is that decent RBs with speed are found on the street every year, multiple times per year…yet we are on what, year 3 of Patrick Taylor?

We should be constantly turning over that rb3 spot until we find someone with some lightning in a bottle.

I really like the Drake signing, I wish he was put in the game. There is no spark with pat Taylor

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Dec 2023 19:59
The problem is that decent RBs with speed are found on the street every year, multiple times per year…yet we are on what, year 3 of Patrick Taylor?

We should be constantly turning over that rb3 spot until we find someone with some lightning in a bottle.

I really like the Drake signing, I wish he was put in the game. There is no spark with pat Taylor
Minus the fumbles, Can we find 2003 Ahman Green. Man, I loved that guy. He had one of the best RB years in the history of the NFL that year. 1883 yards if I saw it correctly. :lol: :lol: I had him in fantasy that year

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:

You just said you are happy with Dillons 3.5 yards avg but Taylor's 7.5 yesterday isn't good enough?

Lol what

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
12 Dec 2023 21:42
Drj820 wrote:

You just said you are happy with Dillons 3.5 yards avg but Taylor's 7.5 yesterday isn't good enough?

Lol what
Taylor got like what, 4 Carries? Lol I don’t care about averages when it’s such a tiny sample size

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
12 Dec 2023 16:30
Drj820 wrote:
12 Dec 2023 16:26

I agree. I actually think Dillon is the type of back you need to feed a lot for him to be effective.

And for that reason, I don't think he should be resigned because he isn't a #1 back but is pretty ineffectve if he doesn't get 20+ carries.
actually the stats don't support your theory, Dillons best seasons are when he gets 11 touches a game, thats his average for 2021 and 22 seasons, where he had 803 and 770 yrds respectively.

sure we can do better then Dillon, and we have to, but Dillon is a great change of pace RB if we can retain him at a modest price tag

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Barry gets a F, Lafleur and Bisaccia D's from SI, I suppose youth can be the culprit for O and ST's, but our front 7 on defense gets no youth excuse, and they basically failed at everything Monday, just as with Rodgers after year one, we need to completely retool our defensive coaching staff, our future demands it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/gameday/ ... the-giants

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Its possible Dillon is just washed. It happens to RBs. He had like a million carries at BC. Lots of mileage.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Dillon is the perfect change of pace bruising back. He works best with a speedy sidekick like a healthy Jones type back there too.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Dec 2023 08:06
Its possible Dillon is just washed. It happens to RBs. He had like a million carries at BC. Lots of mileage.
That's true.

He's banged up, which also makes me think. I have heard that guys who are as jacked as Dillon can actually be more injury prone, because their tendons, ligaments, or whatever are weakened from being stretched out to the max. If true or if I remember that right, I wonder how much that could play into stuff like the groin injury he is battling now.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
13 Dec 2023 08:31
Dillon is the perfect change of pace bruising back. He works best with a speedy sidekick like a healthy Jones type back there too.
It would seem predictable that if Jones is in we'll stretch off tackle run, when Dillon is in we'll run inside the tackle box, thing is adjusting a defense from inside to outside contain is a lot harder then it sounds, and why imo that formula is so hard to stop, specially if ya use both backs once in a while in reverse order

running and receiving these two have over 2200 yrds in 2021, and over 2500 last year, why anyone would think thats not a winning formula baffles me, are they both over the hill now? possible sure, whatever we do we need to bring back that kind of production, everything we do on offense suffers lacking it.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If the packers were really innovative they would teach Dillon how to take a snap from under center and practice it every day 100 times.

Then they should do a "tush push" with him getting the ball directly from under center every 3rd and 2 we ever have.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Dec 2023 10:15
If the packers were really innovative they would teach Dillon how to take a snap from under center and practice it every day 100 times.

Then they should do a "tush push" with him getting the ball directly from under center every 3rd and 2 we ever have.
I was actually thinking about this exact thing this morning on the way to work. This is something I would have been grinding to perfection in the offseason. The Eagles efficient at it that from now on they dont need 10 yards for a first down. They need 9 because on 4th and 1 theyre running a play theyve drilled to be successful.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

There are pieces on the team that can be used to move the chains. Just gotta be more creative than 6 end arounds to a wr.