Protecting the QB

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, John Lynch were the ones I remember.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

again everyone misses the gladiator part of this game, till it's there player sitting out the season.

Alan Turing: ya know why people like to hit others, because it feels good :rotf:

I never saw Ronnie Lott spear a player or do the Human missal on a player like Cecil, Atwater Lynch, etc. maybe he did, I just never saw it.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

APB wrote:
14 Dec 2023 14:27
lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Dec 2023 10:37
I missed the "Jacked Up" days of the NFL. Right now defense is pretty boring the watch. Anytime I actually get up out of my seat for something flashy is when the offense does something exciting. Big catches or big runs are about it. I used to see Brian Dawkins or Sean Taylor lay someone into next week and Id stand up and give the stank face like I smelt a bad fart while screaming "OOOOOOOHHHHHHWEEEE!"

Defense has been so neutered and it gets worse and worse every year.
You'd have loved Chuck Cecil. Dude was a human missile wearing a green and gold uniform. Wasn't terribly good in coverage but that hombre could lay some violence down on the field.
Some examples:

It took Dave Meggett two straight plays to learn to not venture in Cecil's territory:

"Dave Meggett is gonna check for Chuck Cecil's license plate the rest of this day..." :lol:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
15 Dec 2023 06:11

You'd have loved Chuck Cecil. Dude was a human missile wearing a green and gold uniform. Wasn't terribly good in coverage but that hombre could lay some violence down on the field.
IIRC he has CTE pretty bad now

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

wallyuwl wrote:
15 Dec 2023 09:03
APB wrote:

I remember when Joe Theisman did games and his exact words were during the broadcast I believe were " Chuck Cecil is an absolute missle." My fellow Packer buddy and I adopted that saying, and thought it was awesome.

The NFL used kto glorify that, with NFL films like "NFL Crunch time or NFL Crunch Course." As a young fan it was pretty cool, but now I totally get the change. With concussions being a major topic and frankly I do get scared for guys getting laid out, which still happens but is illegal now, I do welcome the change in my maturing years.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wallyuwl wrote:
APB wrote:

He coaches safety's for his alma mater, the Arizona Wildcats. Before that, he coached several years in the NFL, plateauing as DC for the Titans.

If "he has CTE pretty bad now", he's managing it quite well.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

the bridge of his nose cut seemed like it opened up every single game. It was pretty glorious. Definitely one of my faves growing up.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
15 Dec 2023 10:58
wallyuwl wrote:
APB wrote:

He coaches safety's for his alma mater, the Arizona Wildcats. Before that, he coached several years in the NFL, plateauing as DC for the Titans.

Thought I heard it somewhere. Guess it was just the voice in my head. :lol:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

wallyuwl wrote:
15 Dec 2023 11:16
APB wrote:
15 Dec 2023 10:58
wallyuwl wrote:

Thought I heard it somewhere. Guess it was just the voice in my head. :lol:
I was under the impression that CTE couldn't be definitively diagnosed without a brain autopsy.

Anyway, he's certainly at high risk:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 923700001/
Cecil estimated that he suffered “50 to 60” concussions during his playing days, an alarming revelation.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Just listened to a podcast that was asking where did all the good LB and S play go? Why are there very few elite LBs and Ss when the league used to be littered with them. He was asking if its because its just a passing league now and teams only care about coverage and pass rush and I think thats part of it but the other it the defense just neutered those positions.

They were the enforcers on the field. You couldnt run routes in front of certain defenders because you would get killed. Now safeties are just expected to make sure nothing gets behind them and anything in front they need to make sure they tackle carefully but you gotta let them catch it and look upfield first. Its sad. LBs cant hit too hard either. Even when its legal if it looks too violent you get flagged.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Dec 2023 12:40
Just listened to a podcast that was asking where did all the good LB and S play go? Why are there very few elite LBs and Ss when the league used to be littered with them. He was asking if its because its just a passing league now and teams only care about coverage and pass rush and I think thats part of it but the other it the defense just neutered those positions.

They were the enforcers on the field. You couldnt run routes in front of certain defenders because you would get killed. Now safeties are just expected to make sure nothing gets behind them and anything in front they need to make sure they tackle carefully but you gotta let them catch it and look upfield first. Its sad. LBs cant hit too hard either. Even when its legal if it looks too violent you get flagged.
yes
Unfortunately trying to change the rules such as "defenseless reciever" and especially the NFL trying protect the QB, has led to poor improper penalty calls that take away from the game too.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

APB wrote:
13 Dec 2023 11:32
While we're on the subject, I have grown so tired of the QBs who immediately look to the ref just as soon as a defensive player so much as breathes on them. Mahomes is terrible about it. So was Brady. So is Rodgers.

I'd also go so far as to penalize ANY player who, during or after a play, actively solicits the referee to throw a flag. Again, those same culprits I just mentioned are the worst with PI calls and whatever they can convince anybody of.

To be fair, it's not just the QBs. I've also grown tired of defensive players flopping, flailing, and/or making a complete production out of the fact they weren't able to make the play on the ball carrier because, in their mind, they're being held. You see it every week in DL players. It's sickening to see players give up on a play and instead start performing for a flag. Ridiculous.

We mock soccer players for being performative artists but, truth be told, the NFL is headed down the same path.
This week's example, only it's the offensive player:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Dec 2023 14:29
Doug Plank belongs in the conversation as well.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
22 Dec 2023 16:37
Pckfn23 wrote:
Wrong era
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Dec 2023 16:42
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Wrong era
I'm struggling to identify which years/era this conversation is confined to. Doug Plank's era overlaps Jack Tatum's era and Ronnie Lott's era. Brian Dawkins' era overlaps John Lynch's era.
Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated. What are the specific start and end dates that this conversation is confined to? And what is the rationale for selecting these dates?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
22 Dec 2023 19:21
Pckfn23 wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Wrong era
I'm struggling to identify which years/era this conversation is confined to. Doug Plank's era overlaps Jack Tatum's era and Ronnie Lott's era. Brian Dawkins' era overlaps John Lynch's era.
Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated. What are the specific start and end dates that this conversation is confined to? And what is the rationale for selecting these dates?

Well, I was referencing the guys I remember in the 90s, early 00s...

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Dec 2023 19:58
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
22 Dec 2023 19:21
Pckfn23 wrote:

Wrong era

Well, I was referencing the guys I remember in the 90s, early 00s...
Alright, that clarifies this matter. GO PACK GO!