2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we all expected Barry would be fired after last season chit show, nope Lafleur retained his hand picked DC to be a failure again this season, we saw Alexander !@#$ a fit 27 games ago over Barry's idiotic robotic zone schemes and stubborn approach, saw Savage have a meltdown last year as well.

we've watched Barry with a healthy secondary flounder and get it roasted with his passive coverage, and we've obviously just seen it toasted with mostly backups, good or bad DB's doesn't matter, minus a pass rush that arrives in under a 2 count our secondary could be full of all pro's and would still fail under the coaching of Joe Barry.

Lafleur said now is not the time to fire the DC, I disagree, imho we would be better off with out him, just have one of the assistants take over.

Love can't handle pressure, and his throws are late, I cringe every time I see it because he leads our receivers into big hits, it's why there always hurt, at the same time we see it almost impossible for yac yards after the catch, the receivers have to adjust to catch his off target throws, there toast as soon as the catch is made
these last 2 games are disgusting to watch.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

This rings so true. I'm pretty much at a point where I'm done bitching about Joe Barry and will instead hold MLF accountable for the continued defensive failures. Barry is who he is and the entire league knows it. Well, all but the Packers HC, anyway...

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

You can't be blind to this, MLF...fire the guy.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I'm not going light the torches until after the season, but Barry does need to go. I do understand not firing him when we are still in the playoff hunt.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 08:36
I'm not going light the torches until after the season, but Barry does need to go. I do understand not firing him when we are still in the playoff hunt.
I like midseason firings. You need to have a power vaccum to see if anyone else on the staff steps up without the leadership.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
18 Dec 2023 08:40
Pckfn23 wrote:
I like midseason firings. You need to have a power vaccum to see if anyone else on the staff steps up without the leadership.
I don't mind them, but I also don't expect them.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 08:41
go pak go wrote:
18 Dec 2023 08:40
Pckfn23 wrote:
I don't mind them, but I also don't expect them.
Yeah I know it won't happen because that's not the Packer way. But this week is a good opportunity to do it. You need to set a standard of what is and what is not acceptable.

Yesterday was not acceptable. This is a great opportunity to let someone else come in and see what they can do in three games. But we won't do it because we never do it (except once in 2018) and I don't agree with that.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

This season is good. We know now that Jordan Love is at least capable of being a Top 10 QB in the league, maybe better. Obviously some mechanics to polish, but he has a high enough floor that I think we can build around him. AND, there's no way we don't move on from Barry next year after this. Playoffs were in reach 2 weeks ago and our defense &%$@ the bed. Pretty obvious what needs to change.

We all wanted clarity going into the offseason, and we have it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

If we fire Barry midseason, who do we promote?

I kinda like the new guy we hired for CB coach, as his unit has performed well overall, but then we continue to have communication issues in the backfield and it's probably too early for him to make that jump. So who?

Hard no to Jerry Montgomery, he is trash, maybe an even worse coach than Barry himself.

I guess you look at the ILB or EDGE coach? :dunno: Or the S coach??
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

this team vastly under performed this year, protection started poorly which magnified problems for Love, coupled with inexperienced or injured receivers made matters worse, losing Jones for most of the season stagnated our Running ability, we saw improvement at times.

the defense has to rely on pass rush to support coverage schemes which allow underneath success to the point we have to use single high, once that happens it opens up the big chunk plays over the top, add in the poor ability to contain or even limit the run, and Barry's defenses are a huge fail.

I think more then anything this was just another lesson of what doesn't work.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
18 Dec 2023 09:03

I kinda like the new guy we hired for CB coach, as his unit has performed well overall, but then we continue to have communication issues in the backfield and it's probably too early for him to make that jump. So who?

Hard no to Jerry Montgomery, he is trash, maybe an even worse coach than Barry himself.

Quite frankly we have no reason to have an answer to this. That is MLF's job. He can see the inner dynamics of the defensive staff. I prefer to give it to a young ascender so yes... Greg Williams comes to mind. But we have no way of knowing.
Yoop wrote:

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Labrev wrote:
30 Apr 2023 14:12
LombardiTime wrote:
30 Apr 2023 11:11
Regarding Joe Barry and 2023, anyone else getting Bob Sanders circa 2008 deja vu?
I have thought about it, but I feel like our defense has too much talent this year for it to get bad enough to fire Barry.
Sad to me that this was all pretty predictable heading into the season.

Pack just always seems to be a year (or more) behind when it comes to the defensive side of the ball.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
18 Dec 2023 09:03

It would almost assuredly be Montgomery, actually who cares though really, not as though anyone would do worse then Barry, Maybe a free hand would actually help Montgomery, we are not getting enough pressure consistently just rushing 4.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

image.png
image.png (354.99 KiB) Viewed 685 times
I wouldn't mind giving Downard an interim DC try.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

LombardiTime wrote:
18 Dec 2023 09:09
Labrev wrote:
30 Apr 2023 14:12
LombardiTime wrote:
30 Apr 2023 11:11
Regarding Joe Barry and 2023, anyone else getting Bob Sanders circa 2008 deja vu?
I have thought about it, but I feel like our defense has too much talent this year for it to get bad enough to fire Barry.
Sad to me that this was all pretty predictable heading into the season.

Pack just always seems to be a year (or more) behind when it comes to the defensive side of the ball.
Organizationally we are reactive and not proactive.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 09:13
image.png

I don't know, seems like it would be a Downard spiral, don't you think?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Acrobat wrote:
18 Dec 2023 09:31
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 09:13
image.png

I don't know, seems like it would be a Downard spiral, don't you think?
I see what you did there!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Think about this:

Eagles are leading their division and competing for the top seed and made a change at DC last week.

We were in playoff position and have now fallen out, and its "not the time to address the situation".
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 09:44
Think about this:

Eagles are leading their division and competing for the top seed and made a change at DC last week.

We were in playoff position and have now fallen out, and its "not the time to address the situation".
Very good point.