2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Alright, which one of you was it? :lol:

https://www.firejoebarry.com/
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
18 Dec 2023 11:54
Labrev wrote:
18 Dec 2023 11:44

Fangio D probably isn't the way to go anymore
Is Robert Saleh and the Jets not a "Fangio Style" defense?

Or do we not want to include that in the tweet because it hurts the case?
I honestly don't know whose style of defense Saleh runs. Off of Wikipedia research, I do not see a link between him and Fangio.

His stops before becoming DC in SanFran were Houston under Richard Smith, Seattle under Pete Carroll, and Jacksonville under Gus Bradley.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
18 Dec 2023 12:49
go pak go wrote:
Labrev wrote:
18 Dec 2023 11:44

Fangio D probably isn't the way to go anymore

I honestly don't know whose style of defense Saleh runs. Off of Wikipedia research, I do not see a link between him and Fangio.

His stops before becoming DC in SanFran were Houston under Richard Smith, Seattle under Pete Carroll, and Jacksonville under Gus Bradley.
Huh. I thought Fangio introduced Saleh to the NFL when Saleh was brough on the Texans staff way long ago.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
18 Dec 2023 12:57
Labrev wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Huh. I thought Fangio introduced Saleh to the NFL when Saleh was brough on the Texans staff way long ago.
Sounds possible, both use a 4-3 base, both use a single gap attack style, both use outside lbers to contain the edge, and both get excellent production from there defenses.

the 4-3 imho is on the rise again, better run stopping ability do to more big bodies in the front 7.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:
18 Dec 2023 09:03
If we fire Barry midseason, who do we promote?

I kinda like the new guy we hired for CB coach, as his unit has performed well overall, but then we continue to have communication issues in the backfield and it's probably too early for him to make that jump. So who?

Hard no to Jerry Montgomery, he is trash, maybe an even worse coach than Barry himself.

I guess you look at the ILB or EDGE coach? :dunno: Or the S coach??
Promote? IF Matt finally has the stones to dump Barry (and that isn't a given) I would hope we look outside the organization for his replacement. Sometimes getting someone from another culture/team and perspective can breathe new life into your ball club.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pugger wrote:
18 Dec 2023 14:15
Labrev wrote:

I kinda like the new guy we hired for CB coach, as his unit has performed well overall, but then we continue to have communication issues in the backfield and it's probably too early for him to make that jump. So who?

Hard no to Jerry Montgomery, he is trash, maybe an even worse coach than Barry himself.

Promote? IF Matt finally has the stones to dump Barry (and that isn't a given) I would hope we look outside the organization for his replacement. Sometimes getting someone from another culture/team and perspective can breathe new life into your ball club.
I think he is saying to just finish out the season.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I apologize if someone brought this up before but that KC game 2 years ago was with Gray calling the plays because Barry had COVID, correct?

It's a small sample size but didn't Gray Blitz more and didn't we hold Mahomes down that game. Kind of proves it's the aggressive versus passive play calls that made the difference. I would love to can Barry now and go Blitz crazy the last 3 weeks to see how our players hold up. At least we'll know which players to keep.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

wallyuwl wrote:
18 Dec 2023 14:26
Pugger wrote:
18 Dec 2023 14:15
Labrev wrote:

I think he is saying to just finish out the season.
Probably. But if MLF doesn't move on from Barry this offseason perhaps the HC should be removed. Nepotism has no place in the NFL.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Yoop wrote:
18 Dec 2023 13:20
go pak go wrote:
18 Dec 2023 12:57
Labrev wrote:

Sounds possible, both use a 4-3 base, both use a single gap attack style, both use outside lbers to contain the edge, and both get excellent production from there defenses.

the 4-3 imho is on the rise again, better run stopping ability do to more big bodies in the front 7.
Barry also studied under the Fangio defense, who also pre sets 2 high, seems like half the DC in the league have worked with Fangio at one time or another.

plus, both tutored under the great one, Dandy Dom Capers :lol:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

With Joe B remaining on the job after his unit's performance (A) yesterday, (B) the last 2 weeks, (C) nearly 3 full seasons in Green Bay, and (D) over his career as a Defensive Coordinator, I can only conclude that the Packers, as currently constituted, do not take the defensive side of the ball seriously.

I don't know if it will take Gutey getting his own head coach in to replace the current coach, the next President hiring his/her own new GM/Head Coach, an act of God, or something else to turn it around on defense, but after nearly 6 full seasons and 2 different Defensive Coordinators in Green Bay, Matt LaFleur has made it crystal clear that failure on the defensive side of the ball is perfectly acceptable (or, I should add, he just has no clue how to get the defensive side of the ball right).

Even if he eventually fires Barry, I have ZERO faith in MLF hiring a competent Defensive Coordinator.

Sad.
Last edited by LombardiTime on 18 Dec 2023 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

As I said before, no pitchfork's, yet. Should he remain after January, pitchforks.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 18 Dec 2023 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Throw out a bunch of names, I’ll whip up a poll. Don’t wanna miss someone potential though, so help me out.

Saleh
Belichick
Al Harris
Evero
Leonhard
Staley
????

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Al Harris fits the personality of our current CBs the best. I thought of him all season as a guy I think would fit the personality the best. I don't know how the league views him yet, but he would be my top realistic choice.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

so then for the last 6 years at least the players have not been able to figure out what the coaches want them to do, so tired of listening to Lafleur speak to issues that should have been solved long ago.

every DC uses prevent, or 2 high soft zone, but not 60 minutes every game.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 15:26

As I said before, no pitchfork,s yet. Should he remain after January, pitchforks.
I'm in the crowd of "as long as he's gone before next season, I'm good. This is a year to see what we have, not like a new DC would get us to the Super Bowl.

With that said, I don't really understand MLF's answer. Communication issues and players not knowing what coverage they should be in IS a coaching issue.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Acrobat wrote:
18 Dec 2023 15:45
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 15:26

As I said before, no pitchfork,s yet. Should he remain after January, pitchforks.
I'm in the crowd of "as long as he's gone before next season, I'm good. This is a year to see what we have, not like a new DC would get us to the Super Bowl.

With that said, I don't really understand MLF's answer. Communication issues and players not knowing what coverage they should be in IS a coaching issue.
Ya, I didn't get that either and honestly I think he didn't buy what he was saying too as he prefaced it right after saying it.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

the coaching isn't up to standard, heres a clue Matt, go look at last years games, why did you allow the sub standard coaching last season to carry over into this season, you've run out of excuses.

any defensive assistant we have could do no worse then Barry.