2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I actually do respect not firing mid season. I didn't like how it was done to McCarthy. And I don't know that there's an assistant on the team that could suddenly turn our defense around.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I mean if we want to tank and improve our draft position, then waiting until the end of the season to let Barry walk is a solid strategic move. :P

But ultimately, yeah, I do not really care if it happens now or at the end of the season. If we had a guy in-house that I liked as a potential replacement, I would be more gung-ho about doing it now and seeing how said in-house guy does as interim DC, but nobody in this group looks cut out for it, so whatever, do the classy thing and run out his contract.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Messing up on "day 1" stuff in week 15 is totally not on the D coordinator, says MLF

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

there should be a list a mile long with Cord applicant's, the only people that get job security like this are politicians

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Also, be glad that we don't have a head coach that publicly calls out his assistant coaches. If he did so, it would make it that much harder to find a replacement for Joe Barry.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I hope he looks at past performance as a coach as part of the process this time!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
18 Dec 2023 16:57
Also, be glad that we don't have a head coach that publicly calls out his assistant coaches. If he did so, it would make it that much harder to find a replacement for Joe Barry.
I think it’s going to be hard to find anyone anyways. You have a HC with two straight seasons in which he missed the playoffs and likely losing seasons.

We have a president on his way out and new regimes means new coaches and GMs.

On top of that you have a bunch of defensive players that are underperforming and showing awful effort in tackling, pass rush, and coverage.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Dec 2023 17:49
Acrobat wrote:
I think it’s going to be hard to find anyone anyways. You have a HC with two straight seasons in which he missed the playoffs and likely losing seasons.

On top of that you have a bunch of defensive players that are underperforming and showing awful effort in tackling, pass rush, and coverage.
Eh, if Love good, looking more and more likely, I have a feeling LaFleur gunna be around for a while.

I can’t think of someone who wouldn’t take an offer for this reasons. Maybe like a Belichick? Maybe Evero feels snubbed from last time.

Someone like Al Harris or Jim Leonhard. You go from making like maybe 250-400k a year and someone offers you a $10m guaranteed contract, you are gunna hesitate too much. Packers do have a great reputation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 18:00
lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Dec 2023 17:49
Acrobat wrote:

Eh, if Love good, looking more and more likely, I have a feeling LaFleur gunna be around for a while.

I can’t think of someone who wouldn’t take an offer for this reasons. Maybe like a Belichick? Maybe Evero feels snubbed from last time.

Someone like Al Harris or Jim Leonhard. You go from making like maybe 250-400k a year and someone offers you a $10m guaranteed contract, you are gunna hesitate too much. Packers do have a great reputation.
I’ve seen a lot of Twitter chatter hyping Al Harris as next DC.

Love me some Al Harris but I’m not sold on him making the jump all the way to DC so soon in his coaching career. I think his hiring would be a mistake.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 15:27
Throw out a bunch of names, I’ll whip up a poll. Don’t wanna miss someone potential though, so help me out.

Saleh
Belichick
Al Harris
Evero
Leonhard
Staley
????
I’d add Marquand Manual to the list of candidates.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 09:13

I wouldn't mind giving Downard an interim DC try.
I could see giving Rebrovich an interim shot. His OLBs have always been solid. I’d give Marge in Marketing a shot if it means we’re rid of Barry, tho.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

APB wrote:
18 Dec 2023 22:40

I’ve seen a lot of Twitter chatter hyping Al Harris as next DC.

Love me some Al Harris but I’m not sold on him making the jump all the way to DC so soon in his coaching career. I think his hiring would be a mistake.
Al was always someone that had some decent physical skills and a work ethic that guaranteed he'd be successful. I'd bet on that for DC.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Always felt that the DC brings the plan, and his assistants tune that plan, in that sense I want a cord prospect that knows a lot of coaches around the league, who has earned the respect of all those coaches, and can entice them to come and work for him, Harris may be to young to have those connections.

in order to find such a guy we'll have to give him carte blanc with the assistants, that means no more forced holdovers like Montgomery.

I'd rather a DC with some NFL experience, Saleh is my top prospect, but I'am certainly open to others, Belichick, Bill will get another HC gig, he's to good not to.

we need to add some positional talent on defense, wouldn't matter who the DC is we have to have better talent in the secondary, can't depend on pass rush to keep bailing out a weak secondary

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NFL catching up to the Fangio scheme?

Interesting though, points scored league wide is down a fourth year in a row.

If nearly a sixth of the league uses this D and it’s getting worse, offenses figuring it out. Then other defenses really must be improving rapidly as of late.

Seems like a successful swing back to the Parcells/Belichick defenses lately (Schwarz/MacDonald). Would it be smart to head in that direction? Or would we already be behind the curve going there now?

What is going to be the most successful defensive schemes from like ‘25-‘30 as offenses start retooling and drafting and coaching to beat the current best defenses?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Going just off observation, and stats may prove me wrong, just seems to me what is beating the Fangio schemes is teams are using more small ball tactics, more run and shorter passing to start games, (Dink& Dunk) and if thats successful it forces single high and stronger underneath coverage, thus allowing what the Fangio schemes are designed to stop, big chunk plays, another complaint of these defenses is that it requires quality starting talent to have great success, something in question according to some of us, specially secondary positions.

I think we have the DL to play any front, and we need back 7 talent anyway, so a coach from almost any lineage could do well.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Dec 2023 07:58
do you have a comment on what you just posted? or are you waiting on others so you can comment on what there comment is? :lol:

whatever, Lafleur is losing this team, thats the consensus of the comments on that twitter platform, and are the comments I read elsewhere as well, players lose respect for a person that fails to hold others accountable, this is a bad look for Matt.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
19 Dec 2023 08:15
Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Dec 2023 07:58
do you have a comment on what you just posted? or are you waiting on others so you can comment on what there comment is? :lol:

whatever, Lafleur is losing this team, thats the consensus of the comments on that twitter platform, and are the comments I read elsewhere as well, players lose respect for a person that fails to hold others accountable, this is a bad look for Matt.
No, that isn't the consensus.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

:rotf:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i think you can the guy midseason if their is someone on staff that you think could do better.

I do not think that guy is on the roster.

We hired him, we brought him back. Honor the commitment then move on.

We all knew exactly what we were getting with the guy. He is who he has always been.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23