Week 15 Post-Game: Bucs-34 Packers-20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

dsr wrote:
18 Dec 2023 17:59
Yoop wrote:
18 Dec 2023 07:48
who else does Barry have that can drop into a zone out of a 50 front base front package? not defending Barry, and maybe others can do it, but I havn't seen LVN drop, or Gary, or Enegbare, imho Smith has to play till someone else can actually be a OLB, and do that stuff, your asking a bunch of DE's who have probably never been asked to drop and cover to do it.

And Smith has played pretty well all year.
I don't much care who he has to fill the role. If he hasn't got anyone who can stop Godwin getting open in midfield for an easy 15 yard gain, then he needs to do something different - not carry on doing the same thing badly.

The D had one tactic - get a sack. If they didn't get a sack, then the completion was there all day long. It is pathetic to see Godwin get his tenth identical catch and the defensive coordinator's attitude is presumably "sorry boys, I'm out of ideas". If Baker Mayfield is throwing a perfect game, then trying something else can hardly make it worse, can it. :bkw:
What is the answer to stopping Godwin in the slot? Do you play Nixon there who has been a really bad nickel corner most of the season? Do you bring inside one of your boundary CBs who aren’t even really that great at playing outside? Do you bring down someone from your thin and already very weak S room? Do we continue trying LBs? Do we double him and leave Stokes to get fried by Evans again? Do we just all out blitz and still leave single coverage against Godwin?
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Dec 2023 19:32
dsr wrote:
18 Dec 2023 17:59
Yoop wrote:
18 Dec 2023 07:48
who else does Barry have that can drop into a zone out of a 50 front base front package? not defending Barry, and maybe others can do it, but I havn't seen LVN drop, or Gary, or Enegbare, imho Smith has to play till someone else can actually be a OLB, and do that stuff, your asking a bunch of DE's who have probably never been asked to drop and cover to do it.

And Smith has played pretty well all year.
I don't much care who he has to fill the role. If he hasn't got anyone who can stop Godwin getting open in midfield for an easy 15 yard gain, then he needs to do something different - not carry on doing the same thing badly.

The D had one tactic - get a sack. If they didn't get a sack, then the completion was there all day long. It is pathetic to see Godwin get his tenth identical catch and the defensive coordinator's attitude is presumably "sorry boys, I'm out of ideas". If Baker Mayfield is throwing a perfect game, then trying something else can hardly make it worse, can it. :bkw:
What is the answer to stopping Godwin in the slot? Do you play Nixon there who has been a really bad nickel corner most of the season? Do you bring inside one of your boundary CBs who aren’t even really that great at playing outside? Do you bring down someone from your thin and already very weak S room? Do we continue trying LBs? Do we double him and leave Stokes to get fried by Evans again? Do we just all out blitz and still leave single coverage against Godwin?
My suggestion: I would put rasul Douglas on him…ah crap nevermind
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

So we put a boundary CB in the slot where he’s not best suited to play?

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Dec 2023 19:51
Yeah, that isn't a good idea. It is a much better job for a LB or OLB.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

wallyuwl wrote:
18 Dec 2023 20:01
lupedafiasco wrote:
I would argue neither is a great idea which is my point. This is the defense put on the field by our GM.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Dec 2023 20:03
wallyuwl wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
I would argue neither is a great idea which is my point. This is the defense put on the field by our GM.
Are you suggesting there is no way to defend that alignment??

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
18 Dec 2023 20:12
lupedafiasco wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

I am not. I think if you have a real slot CB or an ILB that isn’t garbage it makes it increasingly easy. Instead we overevaluated Nixon based on no history of being a competent nickel CB and we gave Campbell a long term deal instead of franchise tagging him and forcing him to duplicate an All Pro season after being a journeyman ILB in his way out of the league. But we couldn’t tag him because we had to tag Adams because he said he would never play for this GM again.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

packman114 wrote:
17 Dec 2023 18:26
I was watching the game with 2 of my cousins who don't know much about the Packers. They're asking me how our defense can suck so bad with all the draft picks on that side of the ball.

I told them about our DCs great record in his other 2 stints as a DC and they laughed. Said it's like hiring an CFO for your business who bankrupted two prior companies.

So either Gutey and our scouts have no clue how to draft defensive players or the coaching sucks. Fastest way to find out is to change coaches.
...or use your next seven first round picks on defense! hahahaha
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:27
No words...except wtf.

One safety THIRTY-FIVE yards off the LOS would be a hair-brained player issue. Two Safeties 35+ yards off the LOS begs for the DC to lose his job because that is what they were coached to do.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Dec 2023 20:16
But we couldn’t tag him because we had to tag Adams because he said he would never play for this GM again.
Starting to be a trend

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Dec 2023 20:16
APB wrote:
18 Dec 2023 20:12
lupedafiasco wrote:

I am not. I think if you have a real slot CB or an ILB that isn’t garbage it makes it increasingly easy. Instead we overevaluated Nixon based on no history of being a competent nickel CB and we gave Campbell a long term deal instead of franchise tagging him and forcing him to duplicate an All Pro season after being a journeyman ILB in his way out of the league. But we couldn’t tag him because we had to tag Adams because he said he would never play for this GM again.
Oh, I see.

We’re back to the Gutebumst narrative. I had almost forgot about the post-loss narrative du jour.

Joe Barry doing a fine job. It’s the players and, ultimately, Gutebumst. Got it.

:aok:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Two things can be true at once. Barry is a bad DC and the players on the field are bad.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

How did we beat the Lions, Chargers, and Chiefs then?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 18:32
Actually Rogers had 8 triple digit games in 08 so Love should get there.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 21:34
How did we beat the Lions, Chargers, and Chiefs then?
Those were November players. They were obviously better.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

lupedafiasco wrote:
You have better ideas than I do about what they could have done, even if you think they wouldn't have worked. But then, we're not paid to make them work. I can well believe that neither you nor I nor the defensive coordinator knew what to do about it, which is why I get paid nothing and you get paid nothing - but why does he get paid a small fortune?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Dec 2023 20:33
APB wrote:
No words...except wtf.

One safety THIRTY-FIVE yards off the LOS would be a hair-brained player issue. Two Safeties 35+ yards off the LOS begs for the DC to lose his job because that is what they were coached to do.
Well, according to our resident forum expert there was nothing that could be done. Barry's hands were tied because 1) he's a bad DC and 2) every single defensive player is also bad leaving Barry no viable coverage options. Baker f'ing Mayfield and the Bucs offense was just too talented and resourceful to be competently defended. The defensive alignment we see here is the inevitable result of Gutebumst and his poor drafting and FA signings over the past gabillion years. It's all they had in the bag of tricks which is why we saw this (and similar) alignment on play after play after play....unavoidable.

:roll:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

dsr wrote:
19 Dec 2023 04:52
lupedafiasco wrote:
You have better ideas than I do about what they could have done, even if you think they wouldn't have worked. But then, we're not paid to make them work. I can well believe that neither you nor I nor the defensive coordinator knew what to do about it, which is why I get paid nothing and you get paid nothing - but why does he get paid a small fortune?
The NFL is buddy league. People just hire their friends. Matt’s not the only one who does it.

I thought Barry actually put Campbell in position to make a ton of plays and he whiffed every time.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

that looks farther north then Escanaba, I think he's on the north side of Happy Rock,( Gladstone) possibly closer even to Speedy Creek :lol: (Rapid River) :lol:

one of the funniest moments happened about 4 or so games back ( hard to remember, our defenses look identically terrible game to game) was when I saw Owens at the snap of the ball sprinting 25 yrds deeper then any other player on the field, I wish I could find a clip, thats coaching, no one would do that without being told to. :thwap:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
19 Dec 2023 06:30
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Dec 2023 20:33
APB wrote:
No words...except wtf.

Well, according to our resident forum expert there was nothing that could be done. Barry's hands were tied because 1) he's a bad DC and 2) every single defensive player is also bad leaving Barry no viable coverage options. Baker f'ing Mayfield and the Bucs offense was just too talented and resourceful to be competently defended. The defensive alignment we see here is the inevitable result of Gutebumst and his poor drafting and FA signings over the past gabillion years. It's all they had in the bag of tricks which is why we saw this (and similar) alignment on play after play after play....unavoidable.

:roll:
Time really is a flat circle. I bet you were one of the people bashing the DC for having Ladarius Gunter and Dumbarious Randall as starting CBs.