Week 15 Post-Game: Bucs-34 Packers-20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Dec 2023 06:42
dsr wrote:
19 Dec 2023 04:52
lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Dec 2023 19:32
What is the answer to stopping Godwin in the slot? Do you play Nixon there who has been a really bad nickel corner most of the season? Do you bring inside one of your boundary CBs who aren’t even really that great at playing outside? Do you bring down someone from your thin and already very weak S room? Do we continue trying LBs? Do we double him and leave Stokes to get fried by Evans again? Do we just all out blitz and still leave single coverage against Godwin?
You have better ideas than I do about what they could have done, even if you think they wouldn't have worked. But then, we're not paid to make them work. I can well believe that neither you nor I nor the defensive coordinator knew what to do about it, which is why I get paid nothing and you get paid nothing - but why does he get paid a small fortune?
The NFL is buddy league. People just hire their friends. Matt’s not the only one who does it.

I thought Barry actually put Campbell in position to make a ton of plays and he whiffed every time.
:shock:

ILB Campbell in coverage on their no.2 WR Chris Godwin was "putting Campbell in position to make a ton of plays"...?

Campbell on Godwin is a bigtime matchup advantage the Bucs purposely schemed time after time and took advantage of play after play after play with not a single counter-move from Barry all afternoon. Your version of "putting him in position to make a play" was, in reality, putting him in position to be exposed by a far superior athlete on play after play after play.

Dude, just stop. You're exposing yourself.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Dec 2023 06:42
dsr wrote:
19 Dec 2023 04:52
lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Dec 2023 19:32
What is the answer to stopping Godwin in the slot? Do you play Nixon there who has been a really bad nickel corner most of the season? Do you bring inside one of your boundary CBs who aren’t even really that great at playing outside? Do you bring down someone from your thin and already very weak S room? Do we continue trying LBs? Do we double him and leave Stokes to get fried by Evans again? Do we just all out blitz and still leave single coverage against Godwin?
You have better ideas than I do about what they could have done, even if you think they wouldn't have worked. But then, we're not paid to make them work. I can well believe that neither you nor I nor the defensive coordinator knew what to do about it, which is why I get paid nothing and you get paid nothing - but why does he get paid a small fortune?
The NFL is buddy league. People just hire their friends. Matt’s not the only one who does it.

I thought Barry actually put Campbell in position to make a ton of plays and he whiffed every time.
why didn't Barry flip his Middle and Will lbers, Quay would have been a much better matchup on Goodson then Campbell even in his best season could have been.

nothing this defenses has done in sporadic games even suggest Barry is trying to win, in fact at times it looks like he completely clueless about what it would take to limit a offense, and it's not so much a personal issue either, it's been the same craziness when he had better talent.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

APB wrote:
19 Dec 2023 06:30
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Dec 2023 20:33
APB wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:27
No words...except wtf.

One safety THIRTY-FIVE yards off the LOS would be a hair-brained player issue. Two Safeties 35+ yards off the LOS begs for the DC to lose his job because that is what they were coached to do.
Well, according to our resident forum expert there was nothing that could be done. Barry's hands were tied because 1) he's a bad DC and 2) every single defensive player is also bad leaving Barry no viable coverage options. Baker f'ing Mayfield and the Bucs offense was just too talented and resourceful to be competently defended. The defensive alignment we see here is the inevitable result of Gutebumst and his poor drafting and FA signings over the past gabillion years. It's all they had in the bag of tricks which is why we saw this (and similar) alignment on play after play after play....unavoidable.

:roll:
There are times when you are standing at the rail at Saratoga the Graveyard of Champions when you are down to your last two bucks. Should you play it safe and bet the favorite in a place that eats favorites and possibly walk out of that race with $2.10 in your pocket if you win? Or should you take the longest shot on the board. You know, the one that's one step away from a can of dog food. The one that if all the other horses drop dead on the stretch, it will get you a sweet payday. Or do you pick a horse that while it's a risk, has a chance, it's got some speed, it's got some endurance, and if it wins, comes with a reasonable payoff. Money you can go into the last race with, and possibly finish a winner!

The play above illustrates Barry taking the first two options on the same play. Taking the favorite that keeps the Bucs out of the endzone, not a Herculean task since they only want a first down. Yeah! They didn't score! Enjoy your 10 cents. Safeties playing in the next county over is the longest shot on the board. You're just hoping Mayfield drops dead in the middle of the pitch and catch. I'd rather see an 11 man front, 10-1, or 9-2. Any press that puts pressure on them to make the play. You're on the verge of losing anyway. You have to take a calculated risk in order to walk out a winner. Don't make your last bet, be on them, screwing up an uncontested toss. Make the bet on your guys making the play, or forcing them to into a mistake.

You shouldn't have to be Belichick to realize time's running out, and you need to take that calculated risk. Barry :swear:
Last edited by Cdragon on 19 Dec 2023 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

MFers think you need all 11 starters and all rotational players to be studs to stop Tommy Devito and Baker Mayfield :rotf:

Clearly it is the GMing of the vaunted Saints, Patriots, and Commander teams that kept NYG well under 20. Or Titans, Colts, Panthers(!) that allowed more than 10 points less than we did to TB.

Those teams must have no liabilities on defense, or how could they have stopped the great Baker?
It is this level of delusion that had people in here going like "ohhhh wait 'til ya see how a REAL franchise like the Jets builds up their team!" :thwap:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The worst part of it all is that Joe Barry, in a press conference earlier in the year, was asked about a LB covering a #1 or #2 WR in man, and he said to the media that we need to have a check to get out of that. That was obviously a lie and he has no problem with scheming that to happen.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Dec 2023 21:31
Two things can be true at once. Barry is a bad DC and the players on the field are bad.
I don't think our players as a bad as you are suggesting. Yes, we are thin in the secondary but IMO these kids are not put in the best position to be successful. Somebody has to tell Barry you can run another scheme besides prevent...

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 21:34
How did we beat the Lions, Chargers, and Chiefs then?
Perhaps the Chiefs and Chargers are not as good as advertised? In divisional games records can often be thrown out the window.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pugger wrote:
19 Dec 2023 09:38
Pckfn23 wrote:
Perhaps the Chiefs and Chargers are not as good as advertised? In divisional games records can often be thrown out the window.
How about we have the talent when schemed properly... We played a much more aggressive style and scheme in those 3 games. Bring on 2 mediocre to poor QBs and re revert back to the passive soft zone crap that Barey can't get away from. The talent is there to be better than we are.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 15:22
Rasheed Walker been stringing along some nice games.

I think you try to upgrade, but you also really don’t need to trade up to like #6 or anything to take a tackle.
It is not just this week either. Walker has had good pff grades for the second half of the season. He does not need to be replaced. JRJ at RG needs to be upgraded. That does not necessarily mean that JRJ should not be resigned in the offseason, as he would be a major upgrade to Newman as a backup guard and maybe even backup center. But I would seriously be looking for a guard in the 2nd or 3rd round.

fyi, Kraft broke the 3rd round jinx.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Dec 2023 08:14
The worst part of it all is that Joe Barry, in a press conference earlier in the year, was asked about a LB covering a #1 or #2 WR in man, and he said to the media that we need to have a check to get out of that. That was obviously a lie and he has no problem with scheming that to happen.
It's not a lie. We needed a check then, and we need it now. The man speaks truth.

It's just a shame he forgot to put one in.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

dsr wrote:
19 Dec 2023 11:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
It's not a lie. We needed a check then, and we need it now. The man speaks truth.

Previously, specifically referring to Preston covering WR (IIRC it was covering Davante), he said he just needs to "find a way to survive the down."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

dsr wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

That's what I mean. We need a check, but Barry disagrees or else there would be one.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wallyuwl wrote:
19 Dec 2023 11:59
dsr wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Previously, specifically referring to Preston covering WR (IIRC it was covering Davante), he said he just needs to "find a way to survive the down."
I think it was Jefferson...or likely both if I know Barry.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Dec 2023 09:48
Pugger wrote:
19 Dec 2023 09:38
Pckfn23 wrote:
How about we have the talent when schemed properly... We played a much more aggressive style and scheme in those 3 games. Bring on 2 mediocre to poor QBs and re revert back to the passive soft zone crap that Barey can't get away from. The talent is there to be better than we are.
I think you are correct and this is even a bigger indictment against Barry. Why revert back to being passive just because the QB isn't top tier? My god...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

D focused this time!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Dec 2023 13:55

D focused this time!
After watching that I still blame Barry. He sets up to be out leveraged way too often. But I also blame Gute for drafting and acquiring morons (Walker, Nixon, Stokes).

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I guess John Kuhn “exposed” himself.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Does it bother anyone that we haven't scored more than 30 points than against the Bears week 1? No? Just me then...
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Trudge wrote:
21 Dec 2023 00:15
Does it bother anyone that we haven't scored more than 30 points than against the Bears week 1? No? Just me then...
League average scoring is 21.8 points a game this year and under 30 points per game average even for the winning team, so no, it doesn’t bother me.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Dec 2023 03:40
Trudge wrote:
21 Dec 2023 00:15
League average scoring is 21.8 points a game this year and under 30 points per game average even for the winning team, so no, it doesn’t bother me.
So that puts us at 21.4 points a game.

To be fair...I have no idea where I was going with that. Just thought it was odd. Gotta look up Rodgers now...
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....