2023 MVP Race

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I was just going to an extreme for effect, but I do think AJ Brown is pretty darn special.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Go Pack Go!!! :lol: :)

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Not sure I Love either Hurts or Aj this weekend. I just took their unders in prize picks prop bets in yardage totals this weekend... :rotf: :lol: Hopefully they will suck against the niners.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Obviously don't want to get ahead of myself here, but if Love keeps on his current pace from the last 3 games or even slightly comeback back to earth AND the Packers make the playoffs, he will have finished the season with over 4,000 yards, over 30 TD's and somewhere between 12-14 INT's. Even more impressive though, he would bring a team that lost its All Pro LT and Pro Bowl RB for the majority of the season and is throwing to WR's/TE's who are 1st and 2nd year players.

I think he would at least need to be in the conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Acrobat wrote:
04 Dec 2023 12:50
Obviously don't want to get ahead of myself here, but if Love keeps on his current pace from the last 3 games or even slightly comeback back to earth AND the Packers make the playoffs, he will have finished the season with over 4,000 yards, over 30 TD's and somewhere between 12-14 INT's. Even more impressive though, he would bring a team that lost its All Pro LT and Pro Bowl RB for the majority of the season and is throwing to WR's/TE's who are 1st and 2nd year players.

If he keeps it up, I agree, he should get a mention. But going to be tough to beat out Prescott, Hurts, Jackson, or Purdy. Even Tua could get in the convo. Some are still saying Mahomes, but he's going to need a damn good stretch run as well.

Purdy, Prescott, and Hurts are just about even odds right now with a gap to the rest. Doesn't mean I wouldn't put a buck on Love!
RIP JustJeff

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Prescott and Purdy are probably the favorites right now, but it will matter what happens down the stretch. Should be fun to watch.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

MY_TAKE wrote:
04 Dec 2023 15:27
Prescott and Purdy are probably the favorites right now, but it will matter what happens down the stretch. Should be fun to watch.
Prescott has struggled of late as has Jalen Hurts. That leaves Brock Purdy as the front-runner.

I'd argue Purdy isn't even the MVP on his own team, let alone the entire league.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I hate that it's a QB award now. Purdy is playing well, don't get me wrong. But I can think of about 15 guys that would be just as effective on that team. McC is more valuable on that offense than the QB if you'd ask me, but I don't get a vote.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

musclestang wrote:
21 Dec 2023 06:07
I hate that it's a QB award now. Purdy is playing well, don't get me wrong. But I can think of about 15 guys that would be just as effective on that team. McC is more valuable on that offense than the QB if you'd ask me, but I don't get a vote.
Exactly.

It's a great offensive system littered with great players. There are advantages all over the field on every play. Couple that with a defense that rarely forces the team to play from behind and you'd be hard pressed to screw it up as the QB. And give Purdy credit, he plays within the offense and makes it hum but it's not often he has to carry the team. On those rare occasions they did need to lean on him to bring the team back, he has struggled.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Soooooo true, and Love would be right with these others had freaking Barry carried this offense just a little more, 4 more wins and Love would be in this conversation, wins shouldn't matter concerning individual performance, but we all know they do.

Everyone blames Lafleur for keeping Barry this season, same with keeping Drayton, thing is we had to pony up some real molla to attract Bisaccia, and the powers above Lafleur had to OK that deal, same could be true for the retention of Barry, money. just speculating.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Acrobat wrote:
22 Nov 2023 07:14
I think Tyreek should be in the conversation, especially if he threatens 2,000 years receiving.
The fact that the Dolphins won so handily without him last week probably hurts his chances but I still agree with this. Tyreek is unbelievable. He is more of an x factor than any other current player I can think of. I heard someone describe him as "midget Randy Moss" and I think that that is an appropriate description.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Papa John wrote:
21 Dec 2023 17:51
Acrobat wrote:
I think Tyreek should be in the conversation, especially if he threatens 2,000 years receiving.
The fact that the Dolphins won so handily without him last week probably hurts his chances but I still agree with this. Tyreek is unbelievable. He is more of an x factor than any other current player I can think of. I heard someone describe him as "midget Randy Moss" and I think that that is an appropriate description.
I wish Tyreek still returned punts. He’d probably have a few nice returns to his name, maybe even a score or two, to add to an MVP resume. It’d at least put him legitimately in the conversation. As just a WR in a dynamic offense, though, I don’t think he carries the clout to be seriously considered for MVP.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

APB wrote:
21 Dec 2023 17:57
Papa John wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
I wish Tyreek still returned punts. He’d probably have a few nice returns to his name, maybe even a score or two, to add to an MVP resume. It’d at least put him legitimately in the conversation. As just a WR in a dynamic offense, though, I don’t think he carries the clout to be seriously considered for MVP.
I'd argue that he carries more clout than anyone on that offense. Did they win 30-0 last week without him? Yes. But it was against the Jets. Of all the players in that offense, he is the one that I'd least like to see out for an extended period of time, if I were them. Tua isn't that good.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Papa John wrote:
21 Dec 2023 18:10
APB wrote:
Papa John wrote:

I'd argue that he carries more clout than anyone on that offense. Did they win 30-0 last week without him? Yes. But it was against the Jets. Of all the players in that offense, he is the one that I'd least like to see out for an extended period of time, if I were them. Tua isn't that good.
actually the Jets have the #7 defense in the league, unless they played below that ranking, Tua and that offense minus Hill did pretty good, I didn't see the game though, and am just going off defensive rankings around the league, the Jets where the last of my top 7 defenses anyway.
we where near bottom 1/3 of the league, painful stat :oops:

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Papa John wrote:
APB wrote:
Papa John wrote:

The fact that the Dolphins beat the Jets, who have a much better than average defense, 30-0 favors the fact that Tyreek is NOT that important and should not be in the MVP discussion.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Papa John wrote:
APB wrote:
Papa John wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree with your value ranking for him on that team but the Dolphins showed this past weekend that their offense is every bit as dynamic (against a stout defense) without him. That works against him in the grand scheme of MVP voting.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I'm voting for YOOP for 2023 MVP. :aok:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

MY_TAKE wrote:
28 Nov 2023 16:24
IMO, Mahomes is the MVP. He is the best QB and KC would probably be a .500 team without him. If the Packers had him we would probably be a 1 or 2 seed right now. Thats how I feel. The guy is ridiculously good. Record and QBR and his talent around him backs up my opinion I think.
I disagree. The Packers might be 8-6 instead of 6-8. No more than that. And fyi, if Christian Watson had been healthy all season, the Packers would be 9-5 or better. If Bakh and Watson and Campbell and Alexander had been healthy all season, the Packers would be 12 and 2.

Check that, if Bakh and Watson and Campbell and Alexander had been healthy all season (and Barry had been replaced last spring), the Packers would be 12 and 2.

I could care less about regular season MVP. It is a popularity contest. The only individual honor worth having is SB MVP.
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 22 Dec 2023 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

McCaffrey has like 1800 yards and 20 TDs already?

As an owner of him in my expensive fantasy league, he has my vote.

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

Acrobat wrote:
04 Dec 2023 12:50

In the past the final week or two, seemed to not matter with voting having already taken place.