Joe Barry

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Joe Barry

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

The man seemingly deserves his own thread.

Oh how I long for the days of Fritz Shurmur.

Have at it!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

At this point I think replacements is a more intriguing conversation.

Honestly I am hoping we go young. I think there will be opportunity in the college ranks as coaches will want to go to the league because of how the college landscape is changing with the portal.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Agree that it's a foregone conclusion that Barry is gone (right?!?!). So, let's turn the page.

Maybe because I LOVED him as a play, I wouldn't mind seeing Al Harris run our defense. Loved his style of play. He's doing really well as an assistant with Dallas.

Do you think Leonard gets another shot or has his ship sailed? At this point with the talent we have on defense, I'm not sure I want to roll the dice with someone who doesn't have NFL experience.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't mind taking a risk on a college guy.

We have always had "vet" D Coordinators and I wouldn't say the results have been spectacular. So I don't see what to lose by taking a risk.

I basically want a guy who likes to run through walls and guys with a new scheme to the league.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Saw the Giants benched Devito today.

Ridder has been benched in Atlanta.

Garoppolo was benched in Vegas.

So 3 of the 8 losses have been to backup level QBs.

Also lost to Kenny Pickett when Joe decided to let the Steelers run for >200 yards.

The D did everything it could yesterday to give the game away yesterday to the worst Offense and worst team in the NFL.

There is no compelling reason for Joe Barry to still be the Defensive Coordinator of the Green Bay Packers tomorrow.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We also lost to a head coach and OCoord that were fired mid-season (Josh McDaniels and Matt Canada) both arguably the worst ones in the league.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The problem with getting a young guy at DC is Lafleur is basically just an OC who seems to know very little about other phases of football. So when they young guy needs help he’s not gonna be able to get much help from his HC.

We need someone who has done it before, and someone who has done it well.

Pettine would have absolutely cooked with this much talent on d, yet people didn’t like him.

Barry had done it before, but was awful at it.

Surely there is someone out there who has shown they are capable of the job in the past.

This team would be a contender if we had fangio or Brian flores as our DC.

But the nice guy brought back Barry
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Dec 2023 00:00
But the nice guy brought back Barry
There is no place in the NFL for nice guys. Particularly as a HC or DC. Although our former Minister of Defense would help a QB or an OT to his feet - and then destroy him again on the next play.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Until MLF actually fires Barry I am not going to dream about his replacement. Matt should have shown him the door last spring. I fear MLF has a blind spot concerning this situation (and it may be his undoing in the end) and no changes will be made any time soon. Man, I hope I'm wrong...

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I have come around to the idea that, if MLF really wants Joe Barry on this staff and believes in him, that's OK. Senior Defensive Assistant, Assistant Head Coach, whatever if might be. The man cannot coordinate a defense, though, and it is laughable at this point that he is being allowed to continue doing so. I have listened to a lot of Joe Barry pressers lately and I really like the guy, but this is a results business. The results dictate it is time for a fresh voice on defense even if Joe Barry is kept around.

As I write this, I think the situation is SO bad, that I don't think anything but a clean break will happen. I just think it's worth, at least, considering alternatives to FIRE BARRY.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
26 Dec 2023 10:38
I have come around to the idea that, if MLF really wants Joe Barry on this staff and believes in him, that's OK. Senior Defensive Assistant, Assistant Head Coach, whatever if might be. The man cannot coordinate a defense, though, and it is laughable at this point that he is being allowed to continue doing so. I have listened to a lot of Joe Barry pressers lately and I really like the guy, but this is a results business. The results dictate it is time for a fresh voice on defense even if Joe Barry is kept around.

As I write this, I think the situation is SO bad, that I don't think anything but a clean break will happen. I just think it's worth, at least, considering alternatives to FIRE BARRY.
I think they just let his contract expire.
Yoop wrote:

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

NCF wrote:

What's there to like? He was on the 0-16 Lions.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Trudge wrote:
26 Dec 2023 10:48
NCF wrote:

His 2021 defense was good. Especially when it mattered most down the stretch.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:

I think Lafleur is operating on damage control now, Barry is a friend, and Loyalty concerning that stuff matters, imo thats reason enough to just let Barry finish his contract, the time for change has come and past long ago.

I'am upset with Alexander, just maybe if he had actually supported Douglas, and spoken up back then it would have forced Lafleur to make a change, who knows, but pulling this team Captain thing is soo childish, simply going out there was over the top, letting alone making the call, then to say the players have my back, Gute should be looking for trade partners as I type this, those are the type comments reserved for players meetings, not the national stage

this has been simmering to a boil since Douglas was traded, that BS excuse Guty gave for the trade was so obviously a lie, Douglas expected accountability concerning Barry, spoke about it and got a ticket out of town, Alexander said he wouldn't remain quiet any longer, not much of a stretch to realize what he was talking about.

then to say the whole team and coaches had to convince him to play Christmas in his home town, thats like saying all the coaches and players called down a Reggie White Miracle so he could play, duh, Miracles are a 7 day a week proposition for anyone that wants one bad enough, if ya can play on Christmas ya better be able to play a week later on New years

thing is players don't just quit on the coaches for no good reason, what happened here this year will make Matt Lafleur a better coach, if it's never happened to him before, he now knows how easy it is to lose a players respect, and the consequences of that happening.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

go pak go wrote:
26 Dec 2023 10:52
Trudge wrote:
NCF wrote:

We had another 32nd in stats that day. Oh Mo...

He took the HC position at his college Citadel, can you guess his first record? I'll give you a hint... :(

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Trudge wrote:
26 Dec 2023 11:54
go pak go wrote:
Trudge wrote:

He took the HC position at his college Citadel, can you guess his first record? I'll give you a hint... :(
Yeah but that's not Barry's fault.

We all know the issues of STs and Offense erasing quite possibly the most dominating playoff game in Packers history.
Yoop wrote:

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I prefer MLF bring on a younger assistant who deserves a chance to run a defense. But if he does go for experience, Mike Zimmer would be my choice. At least Zimmer had success as a DC.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

packman114 wrote:
26 Dec 2023 12:19
I prefer MLF bring on a younger assistant who deserves a chance to run a defense. But if he does go for experience, Mike Zimmer would be my choice. At least Zimmer had success as a DC.
Yeah I think the primary reason I choose a young guy is the "Older Vets" are limited in terms of supply. I think you will have a better shot at finding a good one under a rock if you go for the unproven coach.
Yoop wrote:

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

go pak go wrote:
26 Dec 2023 12:01
Trudge wrote:
26 Dec 2023 11:54
go pak go wrote:

Yeah but that's not Barry's fault.

We all know the issues of STs and Offense erasing quite possibly the most dominating playoff game in Packers history.
I'd have to go back and watch it.

As for Barry...man, I just don't know. I think the Ghost of Pettine may have been alive yet. Our cornerbacks and ILBs seem to have made there positions very clear. Between Campbell, Walker and Smith guarding the WRs or CBs playing 8-10 yards off on 4th and 3 it hasn't looked good.