Packers Roster Cut Downs

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

These are coming much faster than usual.

Hard to keep up!
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Good summary of where we are and where we still have to get, as it stands right now.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Stanford Samuels the only surprise for me so far. I thought they’d keep him considering how much dime they play.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Over the past few days at the back of my mind I thought there was a good chance we would keep only 5 WRs. So far It appears to be the case.

All the WR cuts were not a surprise for me. The ones I expected to remain did except Malik Taylor. Based on tweets I thought Malik Turner was ahead of him in the pecking order but I was wrong. However if Taylor is cut then we will have just 4 WRs on the roster. Wow! that would be a far cry from the TT years were we surrounded Rodgers with receiving options.

Ento has a broken toe so I felt Samuels had a really good shot to make it as as the 6th CB but instead it's looking like Sunderland is the 6th guy. I'm quite surprised at that - I haven't heard anything about Sunderland. Perhaps Black, a safety, on the other hand might get the nod.

The likelihood is increasing that we will keep 10 OL on the roster. I thought this was a remote possibility but In my roster prediction I couldn't justify keeping Hanson on the roster because we have Linsley, Patrick and Jenkins as cover for centre. Having a 4th is a bit much so I doggedly stuck with 9 OL. We do need roster spots for ST players and having another fat guy isn't necessarily helpful.

I'm quietly confident Ramsey and Garvin is making the roster. I was disappointed to see Galeai cut though. I thought he had a real shot.
Last edited by Chilli on 05 Sep 2020 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'll say as a reminder: with the new IR rules (only 3 weeks before they can come back, unlimited comebacks) there's a good chance in the bet day or two Kamal Martin goes on IR and POSSIBLY guys like M. Adams and B. Turner, as well. So some guys may be coming right back up for the time being.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Sep 2020 11:33
I'll say as a reminder: with the new IR rules (only 3 weeks before they can come back, unlimited comebacks) there's a good chance in the bet day or two Kamal Martin goes on IR and POSSIBLY guys like M. Adams and B. Turner, as well. So some guys may be coming right back up for the time being.
Yep, absolutely true.

Read More. Post Less.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Sep 2020 11:33
Are you sure that's right. I thought the 3 weeks was only for people on Covid-IR.

Normal IR continues normally like always which is 8 games before the player can be made active with a maximum 3 designated IR-return players a season.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

:dunno:

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
05 Sep 2020 11:40

Maybe has a deal in place after cuts, with whatever that new rule is.

Maybe with GB, maybe elsewhere. He was still very effective last year.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

I think with the expanded practice squad and new rules for practice squad that alot of these guys will be signed to it. I think even Kumerow is now eligible to be on the practice squad.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
05 Sep 2020 11:40

I think it's just a message to rookies and fringe players not making the cut. Tramon was an UDFA cut by the team that drafted him and spent s year mostly on the PS before having a spectacular career. Sounds like inspiration, not anything personal.

Thigh I also have speculated that any veteran additions would be made after week one to avoid guaranteed contacts.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Surprised that Taylor got the last WR spot and, to a lesser extent, that they cut Samuels. No real shockers, though.

I've always felt like training camp predominates the staff's decision for who to cut and who to keep, with preseason being more of a "tie-breaking" process for the back end of the roster and close position battles.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I will say, I'm genuinely shocked Malik Taylor made the team. I'm not shocked at any individual WR was cut. But I'd heard nothing to think he was even the best Malik at the position. Seems like a ST move, I guess.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Freewheelingutey wrote:
05 Sep 2020 12:08
I think with the expanded practice squad and new rules for practice squad that alot of these guys will be signed to it. I think even Kumerow is now eligible to be on the practice squad.
I was thinking exactly the same thing with Kumerow.

Can use the PS now as "deep bench" essentially.