2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Gunna be a fun guessing game for a few months for sure.

Solid argument to be made for both ends.

I think I’d give a lean towards getting a QB on the rookie contract for 5 years and try to build up from there.

But although Fields is limited, the locker room loves him and will go to war for him. Just don’t think he’ll ever be a guy I’d want starting 4 playoff games in a row for me.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

If the packers draft nothing but OL and secondary and ONE mid round RB, the team will be stacked next year

Just 3 OL. 3-4 high football IQ versatile secondary players.

And a RB.

It’s all we need

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Jan 2024 02:05
If the packers draft nothing but OL and secondary and ONE mid round RB, the team will be stacked next year

Just 3 OL. 3-4 high football IQ versatile secondary players.

And a RB.

It’s all we need
Will need a ILB and maybe another DL/OLB. And a kicker.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Slot CB
CB
S
LT
HB
C
G

Summarizes our needs. Sucks because we suck at drafting our top 3 needs.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

If there is any position that I want to spend premium draft stock on:

Star Cornerback
Left Tackle
I'd also even consider HB
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Perfect 2024 NFL Draft prospect for all 32 teams:
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-perfect- ... ix-broncos
GREEN BAY PACKERS: CB COOPER DEJEAN, IOWA

The Packers have secondary needs, both at safety and cornerback. Thankfully, there is a player in this class who could fill either need. DeJean, listed at 6-foot-1 and 207 pounds, has played outside corner for the Hawkeyes over the last two seasons, doing so very well. I would certainly start him there in the NFL. He’s recorded seven interceptions and 13 forced incompletions over the past two seasons and is one of the best secondary playmakers in the class.
Probably a guy already on everyone's radar, and it is such a no-brainer. Our S position arguably is the weakest on the roster, so you are looking at a big upgrade there from the start, plus we are slated to lose Savage, Owens, and Ford after the season.

Or we could use help at CB, namely at nickel, which I believe DeJean has experience playing. Nixon may also leave, which not only leaves you with a bigger hole at nickel, but you also lose a quality KR/PR, and DeJean can even do that for you. We also just like Iowa guys in general.

I am not always down with the fan-favorite draft prospect or the guy that always gets mocked to us, but this just makes too much sense.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I really was out of The Draft buzz last year. When did Draft Network go belly up?

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Depends on who the new DC is and what we are trying to do. If we are staying the Fangio style defense I dont see a point in taking a CB early. Alexander isnt going anywhere. It would be the most dead cap any team has ever taken on in a trade outside of the QB position. Valentine and Ballentine both look capable on the boundary. Theres still Stokes for one more year. I dont think taking a nickel CB in the 1st is good value and safety is historically awful value in the 1st round and almost always backfires.

Right now I'm pretty set on Amarius Mims, OT from Georgia. Hes a RT coming off injury but had he not been beat up this year hes a top 16 pick without a doubt. If we are picking in the early 20s thats my guy. You can get him in over Tom at RT and get a big boost at run blocking and maybe sacrificing a little as a rookie in pass blocking. Then move Tom to C and get a significant upgrade over Myers. I think our run blocking would massively improve.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
03 Jan 2024 11:33
I really was out of The Draft buzz last year. When did Draft Network go belly up?
They basically did last year. They werent updating much and still had old prospects on their site from the previous year. Its a shame because they did good work but I think PFF just put them out of business. Theyre better overall and had a better simulator.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
03 Jan 2024 11:38
Depends on who the new DC is and what we are trying to do. If we are staying the Fangio style defense I dont see a point in taking a CB early. Alexander isnt going anywhere. It would be the most dead cap any team has ever taken on in a trade outside of the QB position. Valentine and Ballentine both look capable on the boundary. Theres still Stokes for one more year. I dont think taking a nickel CB in the 1st is good value and safety is historically awful value in the 1st round and almost always backfires.

Right now I'm pretty set on Amarius Mims, OT from Georgia. Hes a RT coming off injury but had he not been beat up this year hes a top 16 pick without a doubt. If we are picking in the early 20s thats my guy. You can get him in over Tom at RT and get a big boost at run blocking and maybe sacrificing a little as a rookie in pass blocking. Then move Tom to C and get a significant upgrade over Myers. I think our run blocking would massively improve.
I like him. Along the lines of your points about positional value, this would really be a good year to punt out of Round 1 and get some 2nd-round value picks at RB, S, DL, EDGE, etc. It will also be super interesting to see if Gute spends in FA, at all. I could see an OC targeted to replace Myers. Safety, as well, is an obvious FA target.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
03 Jan 2024 11:47
lupedafiasco wrote:

I like him. Along the lines of your points about positional value, this would really be a good year to punt out of Round 1 and get some 2nd-round value picks at RB, S, DL, EDGE, etc. It will also be super interesting to see if Gute spends in FA, at all. I could see an OC targeted to replace Myers. Safety, as well, is an obvious FA target.
I'm not a fan of trading out with two 2nds, two 3rds, and a slew of other picks. I'm not opposed to it but we have had two pretty beefy drafts in a row already that are looking more than promising. Might not want to overdue and start forcing good talent off the roster based on sheer quantity.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:

I want DBs early, CB or safety, and S doesn't have any player worth it, so a CB that could play safety, like Dejean, is very high on my list. I want elite football IQ and versatility to play nickel or safety--big needs for us--and in order to combine that with the athletic profile we prefer, it may have to be early.

I JUST started getting into draft stuff, like, today. And I am ALSO intrigued by Mims out of UGA. I don't have a whole OL plan particularly, but Mims' injury and inexperience could cause him to slide far below his talent and upside and traits would merit, and that might be the best value.

I still think Tom is the LT of the future and Idon't understand why people, after one year, are like "no he's good at RT, stay there." He's the prototypical pass-first blocker that you want on the blindside with nearly identical measurables as the guy he would be replacing (Bakh). Plus, Walker being not-as-good-as-Tom should be more of a RT/swing OT in the league. It made sense not to move them after the whole preseason or mid-season. But with an offseason to prepare, you gotta get these guys at their best positions.

And while Tom might be the best C on our roster if he ever embraced it, he also has probably made himself too valuable at OT to make a shift to the middle make sense, in my view.

BTW, as "may be a bargain because of injury history" guys go, there's an ILB I'm into named Payton Wilson. His injury history is long enough that i won't care if we miss him, and he's older than we usually take, but if he's there with our 4th I'd definitely want him. His value is probably closer to our 3rd, but medicals will be telling. He's 6'4" 240, good tape, and great football IQ and the NC St coach (who has been around for a while) said he's never had a player practice and play as hard as Wilson, or something like that.

My theme for this offseason on defense is adding football IQ to the middle of the field (a LB, two safeties, a nickel CB). I want that to come with athleticism, too; butwe have athleticism on our roster. We need the IQ.

Also, maybe more of an outside CB, but a guy Ross Uglem just put in his Packer mock on twitter, so I can't claim to be first on him for us, is TJ Tampa.

If MLF really wants to play a zone-based scheme, he'd be a good get in the 2nd

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
Along the lines of your points about positional value, this would really be a good year to punt out of Round 1 and get some 2nd-round value picks at RB, S, DL, EDGE, etc. It will also be super interesting to see if Gute spends in FA, at all. I could see an OC targeted to replace Myers. Safety, as well, is an obvious FA target.
I've been thinking about how many of our needs are "lower-value" positions, like S, RB, C... but hadn't thought about punting in round 1. Just figured it freed us up to just keep taking the high-ceiling athletes in the first round and then use the Day 2 glut we already have to go after the needs.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jan 2024 16:15
NCF wrote:
Along the lines of your points about positional value, this would really be a good year to punt out of Round 1 and get some 2nd-round value picks at RB, S, DL, EDGE, etc. It will also be super interesting to see if Gute spends in FA, at all. I could see an OC targeted to replace Myers. Safety, as well, is an obvious FA target.
I've been thinking about how many of our needs are "lower-value" positions, like S, RB, C... but hadn't thought about punting in round 1. Just figured it freed us up to just keep taking the high-ceiling athletes in the first round and then use the Day 2 glut we already have to go after the needs.
I prefer that plan to R1 punt. Get that upside athlete regardless of position and then worry about correlating need with value in day 2-3 picks.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
03 Jan 2024 11:39
NCF wrote:
They basically did last year. They werent updating much and still had old prospects on their site from the previous year. Its a shame because they did good work but I think PFF just put them out of business. Theyre better overall and had a better simulator.
RIP JustJeff

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I dont understand the love for LT more than RT anymore. TJ Watt, Bosa, Hunter, etc all rush from the RT side more than LT side now. The days of premier rushers on the LT side is over. Plus I think QBs know how to scan the field and the blind side isn't as big a deal anymore.

I say keep Tom where he is and don't mess with a good thing. Same with Jenkins at LG. Walker could be the real deal but I would draft someone to challenge him.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

APB wrote:
03 Jan 2024 20:21
I prefer that plan to R1 punt. Get that upside athlete regardless of position and then worry about correlating need with value in day 2-3 picks.
My philosophy also.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

MY_TAKE wrote:
04 Jan 2024 19:15
APB wrote:
My philosophy also.
It's the Packers philosophy every year.
Yoop wrote:

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I know I got hammered with my early draft but the OL I liked are now both 1st round prospects. I would be so happy with either Barton from Duke inside anywhere or Fuaga at Ot. Both move ppl and are athletic. Some more muscle to be bullied.

Outside of that I also want help in the secondary. Safeties are scarce but there are some nice CBs and maybe one that could move to safety.

Other then that keep drafting high athletes no matter where and grow long term.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2024 19:51
MY_TAKE wrote:
04 Jan 2024 19:15
APB wrote:
My philosophy also.
It's the Packers philosophy every year.
what makes you think that?

I suppose if you consider Gary to be a BPA, in reality edge rusher, and CB are always need positions, same with ILB in a Barry/Fangio defense

to me all of Alexander, Wyatt, Savage, Stokes, King, LVN, Walker where positional needs, after the top tier group of players BPA is determined by the GM.

was Walker the consensus 22nd best player in that class? or Wyatt 28th? I think not, and none of us think Savage was even a first round talent, no we needed those positional up grades, we took LVN, not only for ability, but also because we'll possibly lose Smith after this season, thats a need pick imo.

if ya don't have pass rush and coverage, it gets really bad really fast :lol: