Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Sportrac and Over the Cap both show $27,456,000 either all in '24 or spread over '24/'25, depending on the June 1 thing.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Half Empty wrote:
04 Jan 2024 17:23
Sportrac and Over the Cap both show $27,456,000 either all in '24 or spread over '24/'25, depending on the June 1 thing.
Ah yes, I must have been looking at '23.

Although dead cap is simply a line item to reflect what has happened. 100% most important thing to focus on is the opportunity cost, the alternative, on all aspects.

So just for Jaire's situation, should we happen to trade him, we have $27.5M on the books all come due in 2024. And we'd get the additional draft capital. He has a 2024 cap hit of $24.3M, meaning in 2024, we would add $3.2M to the cap, for him not to be on our team.

However, he also has cap hits of $25.9, $27.9 and $2.4 (void) in 25-27 that would be cleaned up from the cap.

In terms of money yet to be paid, 24 - $15.35, 25 - $16.85, 26 - $18.85. (Includes his $700k workout bonus which he forfeited this year, so could be less)

You just need kind of need all the numbers to make a full decision. Almost somewhat of a wash to be honest. So the question just needs to be asked, do you expect him to be one of the best CB's in the league the next 3 years? If yes, he's almost somewhat of a bargain at 15, 17 and 19M in real money yet to be paid.

If you aren't sure and you don't trust his durability, presence in the locker room, then a trade would be fine too. $$ wise would be close to a push in '24, but we wouldn't get Jaire to play for us that year, but we could get draft picks to, and we would have a lot more freedom in '25 and '26.

Long story short, if we think he is going to be great and he is bought back in, no brainer to keep him. If you think his bad play this year isn't a fluke and you have durability concerns and you think his relationship is broken, trading him is a no brainer then too. Will hurt us for '24, but long term could certainly help us to build a better team 2-3 years down the road.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

If Jaire is on board to be a Packer in 2024...you have to keep him.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We've made our bed with him. If Sul was still around and/or Stokes was looking decent again, then maybe trading him would make sense.

But we dealt Sul, Stokes can't stay healthy and looks, uhh... very "rusty" (being charitable to him) in the rare moments that he is healthy enough to play; I wouldn't count on getting anything from him.

Jaire stays. His shoulder probably needs surgery again. Hopefully it gets fixed this time.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

If we keep Barry, we lose Jaire, but why would we keep Barry? Barry has proven the better the CB situation, the worse his defense is because he reverts right to soft cushion zones, he finally after 13 games this season started blitzing to support the 4 man rush groups that weren't getting pressure.

what boggles the mind is our GM, Russ Ball, Lafleur new the schemes Barry uses, and made Alexander the richest CB in the league after he blew up over Barry's stupid zone coverage and allowed Justin Jefferson to broach 200 yrds a game, and after a injury season, why? there isn't a dam thing about any of this that even makes sense.

we need to keep Jaire and get rid of Barry,

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
05 Jan 2024 09:16
Jaire stays. His shoulder probably needs surgery again. Hopefully it gets fixed this time.
Did he actually have surgery last time? I think they just waited it out and hoped it healed over the offseason.

Read More. Post Less.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Tight end Luke Musgrave (kidney) and running back Emanuel Wilson (shoulder) have both been moved to the 53-man roster off of the injury list. Musgrave, the team’s starting tight end, lacerated his kidney against the Los Angeles Chargers in Week 11 — the same game in which Wilson injured his shoulder. Wilson’s activation seems important, due to AJ Dillon’s thumb injury. On Friday, the Packers officially ruled Dillon out against the Bears, meaning that some combination of Wilson and Patrick Taylor will back up Aaron Jones on Sunday.

To make room for the promotions of Musgrave and Wilson, the Packers released cornerback David Long Jr. and placed safety Rudy Ford on the injured reserve. Long, a former third-round pick in 2019, was claimed off of waivers by Green Bay in Week 13. With cornerback Jaire Alexander presumably healthy, the team must no longer believe they need an extra body at the position.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Super Bowl run imminent
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Dubose elevated from PS.

Guessing some bad news coming on the WR front.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
06 Jan 2024 21:47
Dubose elevated from PS.

My guess is Watson.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
06 Jan 2024 21:57
BF004 wrote:
Dubose elevated from PS.

My guess is Watson.
Could be a precaution. I’m case he can’t go tomorrow. Better to be safe than sorry in the last game.

If Watson doesn’t go though it’s a complete disappointment. Only 9 games out of him on the season and really inly 2 great games.

I still believe he can be great but I think expectations need to be baked in that he will miss time. Like early Mike Thomas. Just hopefully he stays healthy more than not.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Jan 2024 22:06
If Watson doesn’t go though it’s a complete disappointment. Only 9 games out of him on the season and really inly 2 great games.
Exactly. Not sure if it really is a Watson thing at the moment but, as you said, what a disappointment if he cant go! The 9 games he played we never got the best of him, just because he almost never fully practices and gets reps with the playbook or with Jordon Love. How could the team get the best of Watson with what's gone on with his delicate hammies and time missed? :bkw: :bkw:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
05 Jan 2024 09:07
If Jaire is on board to be a Packer in 2024...you have to keep him.
I normally concur with a comment like this. And I am now too. But I will throw a caveat in there. If Jaire turns out to be a little too much on the eccentric side, it’ll show in his play. Or, if he still favors the shoulder that he hurt, he will. Never play up to expectations. He needs to make a new commitment to the team and we’ll see where that takes us. He needs to be known more for his play on the field than his little tricks he does aside from that.

That would be when the Packers “should” keep him. Not a moment before that.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Dubose elevated from PS.

My guess is Watson.
Could be a precaution. I’m case he can’t go tomorrow. Better to be safe than sorry in the last game.

I still believe he can be great but I think expectations need to be baked in that he will miss time. Like early Mike Thomas. Just hopefully he stays healthy more than not.
I was encouraged when it was reported last Sunday that MLF stated one of the largest Packers offseason priorities is to figure out Watson's damn hamstrings.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
07 Jan 2024 09:25
lupedafiasco wrote:
go pak go wrote:

My guess is Watson.

I was encouraged when it was reported last Sunday that MLF stated one of the largest Packers offseason priorities is to figure out Watson's damn hamstrings.
True but Joe Barry says they gotta look at the film and figure out how they keep giving up 200 yards rushers…. So I wouldn’t keep too high of expectations.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jan 2024 10:10
go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

True but Joe Barry says they gotta look at the film and figure out how they keep giving up 200 yards rushers…. So I wouldn’t keep too high of expectations.
we miss Amos, obviously whats happening up front against the run has to be more consistent, but so does the play at ILB and safety, we've seen how well the front can be if we use more 3 dn (hand in the dirt) fronts, which decidedly eliminates the 5 DB that most cords have to use, or a ILB as many cords opt with, whatever, we need to improve the safety position, Savage is serviceable, but Ford, Owens, Levitt etc are players ya hope can be fair backups, not starting, we need another enforcer type in short center, Dejean, or whatever his name is might be available with our RD1 pick, imo he would be a wise choice.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jan 2024 10:10
go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Film? Just stick a mirror in front of him. :munch:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Dubose elevated from PS.

My guess is Watson.
If our med staff is on the fence about him this week, my thinking is it's better to pull him this week if it looks like he legit plays next week. But I think we test him today. We'll suit up 7 WRs today.

All that Watson needs to do today is run the post and open up the 20-25 yard range for Musgrave. If he catches a deep ball, that's an added bonus.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The difference between the Rams' season and the Packers' season--aside from the fact that we waxed them when they had a backup QB--is that the Giants made the game-winning FG to beat us in a disappointing outing, and the Giants missed the game-winning FG to give the Rams a win despite a disappointing outing.

And it was Mason Crosby who missed theirs.

And this whole thing pops into my mind at least once per day

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Can't take away anything from the other playoff teams. They all deserve it. But this Packer squad actually looks like it is still IMPROVING every week. Gonna have lots of confidence next week in the playoffs.