Jordan Freaking Love

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

FA vet receivers are expensive.

Look at Lazard and MVS, that is simply the going rate for someone who gets 600-800 a year.

Given we didn’t have $10 million, we had $3 maybe, you shouldn’t expect anyone better than Sammy Watkins at that price.

Maybe would have been an improvement over Toure and worth a roster spot, but don’t think it would move the needle any.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Here's the deal. We did great with rookies and first year players at the receiver position. We hit upon the correct model. Going forward we should:

1. Not sign any veteran WRs
2. Trade Watson, Toure, and doubs at end of season
3. Trade Reed, Musgrave, Kraft, Melton, Wicks and Heath after 2024 season
4. Just keep drafting 3 WRs and a TE every year.

The system works!

Or maybe every draft is different, every player unique (and a risk) and maybe we just caught lightning in a bottle this year with Gute hitting a grand slam. Or maybe Love is outstanding at communicating with receivers and develops a strong rapport much quicker than most QBs. Probably a bit of both is my guess.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
09 Jan 2024 09:14
You can win with vets, you can with with young guys. It does basically come down to just get someone good.
we do it, other teams do it every year, typically ya want a mix of both.

we where broke, that point has merit.

imho if your going to be starting a young first year starting QB then it's best to make it as easy a transition as possible, you do that by providing good protection, and giving him ready to play WR's versus a makeshift OL and a bunch of rookie receivers, we made the start tougher for Love then it needed to be.

where lucky imo that Love was up to the challenge, many aren't and bust out, and the WR group finally bailed him out, and the OL improved.

I wouldn't have done it this way.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

We can complain all we want over the WRs of the past. Can’t make a single complaint about the WRs now.

Gutenbumst identified a weakness and attacked it. No complaints there.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:

Look at Lazard and MVS, that is simply the going rate for someone who gets 600-800 a year.

Given we didn’t have $10 million, we had $3 maybe, you shouldn’t expect anyone better than Sammy Watkins at that price.

Maybe would have been an improvement over Toure and worth a roster spot, but don’t think it would move the needle any.
what makes MVS and Lazard such a hilarious overpay though, and show that they suck a**:

Lazard: 311 yards this year and muliple healthy scratches
MVS: 315 yards and lost his starting spot

2 bums elevated by dbag 12
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 12:51
BF004 wrote:

what makes MVS and Lazard such a hilarious overpay though, and show that they suck a**:

Always 12... I think Matt LaFleur got these guys paid because he knows how to use his receivers to the best of their abilities. It's absolutely opposite Joe Barry. I think most of us understood full well MVS and Lazard were worth a lot more to us than they would be on other teams.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
09 Jan 2024 15:25
Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Always 12... I think Matt LaFleur got these guys paid because he knows how to use his receivers to the best of their abilities. It's absolutely opposite Joe Barry. I think most of us understood full well MVS and Lazard were worth a lot more to us than they would be on other teams.
Ya I don’t think Lafleur is much better at that than say…Andy Reid

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 15:52
I think these guys are better building up what they have than going shopping for new toys. That was my point.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

isn't being compared to Reid sorta a good thing :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

well we know Lazard was important to 12 anyway :rotf:

I think MLF and Vrabel have done a very good job with route design and schemes, our passing yardage attest to that, all rookie receivers supplying that yardage does to.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
09 Jan 2024 16:22
Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:

isn't being compared to Reid sorta a good thing :idn:
Absolutely. I was just saying both coaches are fully capable of scheming open bad receivers

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I know I'm crazy, but between resurrecting Aaron Rodgers to two MVP while completely revamping the offence from the stale MM system, to then moving on to Love and rebuilding the system again to feature Love's and his young weapons' strengths and making the playoffs... So I think LaFleur is a fantastic offensive HC.

Attachments
image.png
image.png (109.45 KiB) Viewed 766 times

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Any 9 game span for any Packer game meeting these criteria:
image.png
image.png (22.67 KiB) Viewed 751 times
image.png
image.png (28.27 KiB) Viewed 751 times
The list if you take out the sack criteria:
image.png
image.png (104.94 KiB) Viewed 751 times
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

AmishMafia wrote:
09 Jan 2024 09:18
Here's the deal. We did great with rookies and first year players at the receiver position. We hit upon the correct model. Going forward we should:

The system works!

Or maybe every draft is different, every player unique (and a risk) and maybe we just caught lightning in a bottle this year with Gute hitting a grand slam. Or maybe Love is outstanding at communicating with receivers and develops a strong rapport much quicker than most QBs. Probably a bit of both is my guess.
I don't know if your suggestion is entirely genuine. Just because we've gotten the results this year that we have doesn't mean we would get the same results in the future if we re-used that same type of situation. Too many variables.

But then, if Love continues to throw to anybody who walks on the field like he has this year...
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I don't believe there is many that thought it was a good idea for 2023 success to go all rookies and 2nd year receiving threats. Almost everyone understood it was a rebuild. Fortunately the rebuild was faster than expected!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Just a reminder of how sometimes things just work out…

…and for the Dolphins, sometimes they don’t.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

AmishMafia wrote:
09 Jan 2024 09:18

The system works!

You won't even get a conditional 7th for Toure

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

salmar80 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 17:06
I know I'm crazy, but between resurrecting Aaron Rodgers to two MVP while completely revamping the offence from the stale MM system, to then moving on to Love and rebuilding the system again to feature Love's and his young weapons' strengths and making the playoffs... So I think LaFleur is a fantastic offensive HC.

Where's the puke bag. Where's the playoff choke list? Where's the number of championships won list? GO PACK GO!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Talk about finishing the year strong