2024 QB Carousel

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

2024 QB Carousel

Post by BF004 »

Teams looking to need QBs

Patriots - Nothing there, Mac Jones aint it, but we all knew that. Sounds more and more like Belichick gunna be back. Patriots have the #3 pick. Bears gunna go QB at #1, Washington will go QB at #2 (even if neither do, they will trade out and QB's will go 1 and 2). Looking like there are only 2 top QBs in Williams and Maye. Kind of almost a bad spot here. Reach for a Jayden Daniels? Get after an FA? Trade up to 1 or 2 and see if the Bears or Commanders will go with a vet.

Steelers - In the playoffs and don't have a QB. Could be in the area for Penix, McCarthy, Nix area end of the day. Steelers not looking to be flush with cash, don't think they could get a Kirk Cousins or a Russell Wilson, but maybe a Justin Fields or Ryan Tannehill?

Titans - As of now, 4th most projected cap space in 2024. Sitting at pick #7. Tannehill is an URFA coming up. No idea what they do here. Seem to be in more of a rebuilding mode and not sure they get a QB they like at #7? Could see them getting a stop gap starter, psuedo-tank, and look at the '25 draft for a QB?

Raiders - They have pick 13. What a mess they are in right now. No coach, sitting on Garropolo's contract that will cost them $28M in dead cap this year to move on, with basically no cap savings. They might need to burn it down and look to '25-'26 to get a QB.

Broncos - Much like the Raiders, just a disaster, probably even more so. They have pick 12. Cutting Wilson going to result in $85M in dead cap and -$50 against the cap, lol. And they are already projected to be -18M against the cap. Releasing Wilson, they are looking at starting 2024 offseason by $68 million over the cap. :messedup: Burn it all down, start over.

Giants - Doubt they do anything other than bring back Jones, but at pick 6, might be tempting if Jayden Daniels falls here. Otherwise I would expect them to probably find a decent vet backup QB.

Commanders - I think locked into Drake Maye at pick #2.

Bears - I think locked into Caleb Williams at pick #1

Vikings - I think they bring back Kirk, just for lack of better options. You know he works well ,sitting at pick 11, probably gotta give up too much to go get one of the top 3 guys.

Buccaneers - Thinking They'll bring back Baker, but that just isn't a sustainable practice. But he is an URFA.

Saints - Pick 14, but they go 3 QB's that cost a lot of money, lol. But they all suck, wouldn't shock me to see them take a QB at pick 14.

Falcons - Sitting there at pick 8, no coach, no QB. Overall I don't think its too bad of a roster. They should have money to maybe go after someone like Russell Wilson? Wilson grew up in Virginia, he might prefer the east coast.

Rams - Stafford definitely getting up there, Rams will be picking high enough, not sure if there will be a QB there, but I'd probaby expect them to take 1 at some point day 1 or 2.

Seahens - Almost like the Buccaneers, overall good team, QB just good enough to keep them in purgatory, not bad enough to ever make the necessary change. At pick 16, maybe they do go after one of those 2nd tier QB's there.

QB Available
Possible FA Starters -
Russell Wilson
Kirk Cousins
Baker Mayfield

Possible Stop Gaps, Valued Backups -
Ryan Tannehill
Jacoby Brissett
Tyrod Taylor
Jameis Winston
Tyler Huntley

Possible Trade Candidates -
Justin Fields
Jake Browning

Rookies -
Caleb Williams
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
Bo Nix
JJ McCarthy
Michael Penix

My guess

Patriots - JJ McCarthy, I think they'll go Marvin Harrison Jr at 3, miss out on the top 2 guys and aren't willing to pass up Harrison to go for Jayden Daniels. But then they move later for McCarthy.

Steelers - Justin Fields - Seems like the locker room loves Fields, I could see him fitting in well in Pittsburgh with Tomlin and co. I think he would be willing to do what is necessary to make a unique O that fits what Fields can do. Could be exciting. Pitt would have to trade for him.

Titans - Jayden Daniels - I think they'll make a small move up and get Daniels if the Patriots pass on him.

Raiders - Garrapolo and Michael Penix, Pretty much to nothing, roll with Garrapolo, wait to get some cap, and make a move to get Penix near the top of the 2nd.

Broncos - Ryan Tannehill, I think they get him super cheap, like $5M or so, best they can do.

Giants - Daniel Jones and Tyler Huntley - I could see them making it just awkward enough to have QB of similar talent level.

Commanders - Drake Maye

Bears - Caleb Williams

Vikings - Kirk Cousins

Buccaneers - Baker Mayfield

Saints - Carr/Hill

Falcons - Russell Wilson, garbage division, NFC overall weak, pretty talented team, cap room. I could see it happening.

Rams - Stafford, I think they do nothing again, competitive enough to run it back and use the picks to get more talent.

Seahens - Geno Smith and Bo Nix, get the local kid, keeping him in the NW

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Atlanta is getting Justin Fields. I would bank on it regardless of who is the coach or GM. I think Blank will make it happen.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:42
Atlanta is getting Justin Fields. I would bank on it regardless of who is the coach or GM. I think Blank will make it happen.
even if bears want to keep fields?

Like are you saying they will go for him if he is available, or they will move heaven and earth to get him?

Fields still under contract. I would keep him and draft a QB if i was the bears
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I figure Titans stick with Will Levis, and I think Aidan O'Connell showed just enough that the Raiders stick with him and Jimmy G as a backup.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Tyler Huntley is an interesting FA option. I also think some poor team is going to give 4th chance to Carson Wentz just based on that season ending game against SF. It will be interesting to see who Chicago and Washington pair with their rookies. Does Howell remain in Washington or, like Fields, push to get out knowing the pressure to play the kids. Aiden O'Connell is a pretty big wildcard if Pierce is retained. It will be super interesting.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:45
NCF wrote:

Like are you saying they will go for him if he is available, or they will move heaven and earth to get him?

There is this player power movement which I kind of agree with. If I am Justin Fields, I refuse to show up for anything or take another snap if Chicago goes QB at #1. I think too much of a circus to try to make it all work. You can only get away with that in GB. LOL.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The fight for QBs in this draft is going to be entertaining.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Labrev wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:46
I figure Titans stick with Will Levis, and I think Aidan O'Connell showed just enough that the Raiders stick with him and Jimmy G as a backup.
Cant have Jimmy backing up at his deal. Either start him or move on but no reason to keep his cap hit on the books.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:

Yeah I just don't see Justin Fields agreeing to be a lame duck QB. There is the whole thing of how much leverage he has, but my guess is there is enough interest from the league to make Fields tradeable.

I think Justin holds out if he finds himself being a lame duck QB.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:

me to, but as has been said, Fields may revolt if it's one of the top 2 in class, team have to start realizing that grooming a guy for a year or 2 is a tried and proven plan

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Agree with Fields, if they go QB, I just don't play.

He is eligible to get paid. Even if its not the $40-50 QB's are hoping for, he has a chance to even sign a 2-3 contract with like $20-40 million guaranteed. Chance to be set for life for he and his family.

And you the Bears, gunna ask him to probably come in, play half a year, risk getting benched and any good FA opportunity, risk tearing an ACL. I just wouldn't do it. I would literally just sit the year out.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
09 Jan 2024 12:00
Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:

me to, but as has been said, Fields may revolt if it's one of the top 2 in class, team have to start realizing that grooming a guy for a year or 2 is a tried and proven plan
Sure, in a perfect world for the Bears, they can just have both QB's next year on relatively dirt cheap contracts. But they aren't in a position like the Packers were to have a QB sit behind an established good vet.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 12:03
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Sure, in a perfect world for the Bears, they can just have both QB's next year on relatively dirt cheap contracts. But they aren't in a position like the Packers were to have a QB sit behind an established good vet.
I think Fields would benefit from a fresh start, new coaches, possibly more friendly QB schemes, that would free the Bears to take Williams or Mayes, and just bring in one of the available UFA QB's to play this season, my whole point is to groom a rookie QB, get a good QB coach, possibly even a new OC, what they have been doing hasn't worked so well.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Are the Jets going to stay pat with hopefully an AR miracle comeback and whoever they are sitting on now?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

i dont think fields has earned himself that much money in the open market. 20m maybe? The upside of playing is just to try to earn his marking into the 35+m market
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I don’t think having Fields over a rookie is beneficial. They would run completely different systems. Fields can’t throw and needs to run. Both Williams and Maye are athletic but they’re passers. You’re going to want to run a scheme that requires… well passing talent. So you would prep a scheme that suits Fields just to move into a future QB that isn’t going to be successful in that scheme. Doesn’t make sense.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 12:20
BF004 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

i dont think fields has earned himself that much money in the open market. 20m maybe? The upside of playing is just to try to earn his marking into the 35+m market
Even he would signed like a Garrapolo-ish contract, something like 3 year $75 million. Still gunna come with a $30m guarantee, give or take, that will give him the realistic ability to be financially set forever.

His rookie contract was $19M, in a high tax state, likely living a lavish nfl lifestyle, no future expected income over the age of like 26, probably just isn’t enough to live off of forever, realistically.

So yeah, I wouldn’t take a snap for the Bears again without a contract. Which he would get from a new team.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Wonder if they convince Fields to just play RB for them. :lol:

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

BF004 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:38
Patriots - Nothing there, Mac Jones aint it, but we all knew that. Sounds more and more like Belichick gunna be back. Patriots have the #3 pick. Bears gunna go QB at #1, Washington will go QB at #2 (even if neither do, they will trade out and QB's will go 1 and 2). Looking like there are only 2 top QBs in Williams and Maye. Kind of almost a bad spot here. Reach for a Jayden Daniels? Get after an FA? Trade up to 1 or 2 and see if the Bears or Commanders will go with a vet.
Based on the limited action I have seen from Bailey Zappe, I actually don't hate him. I think he has a good arm and I have seen him demonstrate good decision making skills. I wouldn't write him off completely.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
09 Jan 2024 12:18
BF004 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I think Fields would benefit from a fresh start, new coaches, possibly more friendly QB schemes, that would free the Bears to take Williams or Mayes, and just bring in one of the available UFA QB's to play this season, my whole point is to groom a rookie QB, get a good QB coach, possibly even a new OC, what they have been doing hasn't worked so well.
Fields' would benefit from a switch to a team that would not utilize nor pay him as a QB. He sucks at QB skills.

His ceiling is short Taysom Hill. Gadget guy who can sometimes throw.