Post Game: THE PACKERS ARE PLAYOFF BOUND

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

wallyuwl wrote:
08 Jan 2024 22:33
So much excuse making for a low-tier kicker.

Fans shouldn't be praying or have a pit in their stomach before every XP or 41 yard FG. In today's NFL those should be nearly automatic.
If an appreciably better kicker were easily found, then yes, there should be no excuse upgrading the position. It's not, though.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?cat ... Order=desc

The eight guys ahead of Anders are not appreciably better than him, most just have a better percentage because they attempted fewer kicks. So there are only about 15 active kickers that are much of an upgrade over him, not enough to go around in a 32-team league.

XP% is the one area where Carlson stands out as significantly worse than the field. If we can find a guy with comparable FG% that is way better on XPs at a reasonable price, by all means, but it is not the case that kickers that kick above 80% of FG attempts grow on trees.

I mean, Jake Moody is about the same on FG% and way better on XP%, but it took a Round 3 pick to get him. Do you really want to give up Tucker Kraft for a 2% FG improvement and the five XP points we missed, instead of Carlson in the 6th?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

pretty obvious "falling in the lap" would require NOT moving up to get anyone

and

Moving up to get a player is going to get the guy and not waiting on him to "fall to you"
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:07
wallyuwl wrote:

Fans shouldn't be praying or have a pit in their stomach before every XP or 41 yard FG. In today's NFL those should be nearly automatic.
If an appreciably better kicker were easily found, then yes, there should be no excuse upgrading the position. It's not, though.

The eight guys ahead of Anders are not appreciably better than him, most just have a better percentage because they attempted fewer kicks. So there are only about 15 active kickers that are much of an upgrade over him, not enough to go around in a 32-team league.

XP% is the one area where Carlson stands out as significantly worse than the field. If we can find a guy with comparable FG% that is way better on XPs at a reasonable price, by all means, but it is not the case that kickers that kick above 80% of FG attempts grow on trees.

I mean, Jake Moody is about the same on FG% and way better on XP%, but it took a Round 3 pick to get him. Do you really want to give up Tucker Kraft for a 2% FG improvement and the five XP points we missed, instead of Carlson in the 6th?
Yeah. A player who is on a rookie deal (cap wise) and only cost a 6th round getting over 80% FG is pretty good. Add in he can and has hit the long ones.

The Extra Points are really bad. But I also think those are very correctable.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Who the $%@# cares anymore. No reason to hang onto old &%$@. Doesnt smell good. I wasnt a believer but now I am and hes a god.

Love is the guy. Hes ours and hes the future. Does it matter if we moved up or not?
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Ryan Longwell was also 81.6% as a career in GB.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

wallyuwl wrote:
09 Jan 2024 10:22
YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Jan 2024 22:50
wallyuwl wrote:

I will never stop making excuses to impatient angry fans for rookies that don't arrive ready-made. Because it's a good excuse.
He spent 6, that is 6, years in college wirking on his technique. His brother surely has also helped him. And he was crappy in college. It is no surprise he is crappy in the NFL.
We just made the playoffs. In an epic way. Somehow I don't have it in me to spend any energy to hate on a $%@# kicker, when there's so much positive to say about the rest of the roster.

[mention]wallyuwl[/mention] Honestly, why do you never say anything positive about the Packers?

I don't understand why not, unless you've sold your soul to a demon for the Packers' continued success or something like that. You must like SOMETHING, or you would not bother to participate.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:24
Labrev wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Yeah. A player who is on a rookie deal (cap wise) and only cost a 6th round getting over 80% FG is pretty good. Add in he can and has hit the long ones.

The Extra Points are really bad. But I also think those are very correctable.
Carlson had a 71% make percentage in his college career, so a rookie season above 80% shows an ability to improve.

He was way better on XPs in college, but it's a 20-yard PAT in college, 33 in the pros.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:31
wallyuwl wrote:
09 Jan 2024 10:22
YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Jan 2024 22:50

I will never stop making excuses to impatient angry fans for rookies that don't arrive ready-made. Because it's a good excuse.
He spent 6, that is 6, years in college wirking on his technique. His brother surely has also helped him. And he was crappy in college. It is no surprise he is crappy in the NFL.
We just made the playoffs. In an epic way. Somehow I don't have it in me to spend any energy to hate on a $%@# kicker, when there's so much positive to say about the rest of the roster.

@wallyuwl Honestly, why do you never say anything positive about the Packers?

I don't understand why not, unless you've sold your soul to a demon for the Packers' continued success or something like that. You must like SOMETHING, or you would not bother to participate.
heck even I like some stuff :rotf: actually I like most stuff, the stuff I don't like though really pisses me off :rotf:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

go pak go wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:31
Labrev wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Ryan Longwell was also 81.6% as a career in GB.
If we're going to look at "outdoor" kickers and say "That's what we're aiming for", I'd suggest Robbie Gould as the benchmark.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:17

and

Moving up to get a player is going to get the guy and not waiting on him to "fall to you"
If you rated him as a top 10ish guy and you only have to give up a 4th to move up a few spots to grab him, I would call that falling into your lap. But I don't have the time or the inclination to debate semantics with you so you can call it whatever you want.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
09 Jan 2024 10:01
YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Jan 2024 06:22
Foosball wrote:
08 Jan 2024 23:29
As much as I dislike some of LaFleurs play calling where he lacks situational awareness, I do have to say Matt LaFleur deserves to win the NFL coach of the Year award.

As down and out as the team seemed earlier in the year, LaFleur dealt with a group of inexperienced players who were continually making mistakes and somehow guided them to the playoffs.

Matt deserves the award….and then he should take Jordan Love out for a steak dinner.
To me, the Giants and Bucs games eliminated him. The Texans’ Coach deserves it.

But also, do not even start with this MLF is carried by Love idea that you’re hinting at with the steak dinner.

MLF MOLDED JORDAN LOVE. Just like he got the best out of Rodgers and revitalized his career. Just like he had Matt frickin Ryan play at an MVP-winning level. Just like he got RGIII’s play to rookie of the year level. Just like he turned around Goff from a bust to a serviceable starter.

When every QB you touch turns into the best versions of themselves, you don’t owe a steak to them when they lead your team to wins. MLF has coached two different QBs to MVPs and a third to rookie of the year. ONLY Rodgers replicated that level of play without him. And even Rodgers hadn’t shown it in years before MLF arrived.

MLF is a certified QB whisperer. One of the most coveted commodities in the NFL. Clements has a role and we appreciate him. Love, of course, plays a big role and we appreciate him.

But MLF makes QBs better; not just the other way around.

That’s why, despite some of his flaws as a coach, which exist and I don’t deny them all—I will always defend and appreciate MLF. He’s a top 5 coach right now, to me. And it all starts with getting good QB play and designing effective and efficient offenses.

The play calling is inconsistent. The time management and time out usage is subpar but not devastating or inept. His taste in defensive schemes and coaches leaves much to be desired.

But he gets the most out of his QBs, his offensive scheme puts his players in position to produce. And the team plays for him/tends to develop (and re-develop now, in phase two of his tenure) good chemistry under his leadership.

That’s a high quality NFL coach. But THIS year, he was probably a win or two sort of being coach of the year. He probably deserved it for one or two of those 13-win seasons earlier. But the narrative ALWAYS shifts credit to his QB; and I am stoked for Jordan Love, but don’t even start that. The track reached is clear. MLF deserves more credit for his QBs than his QBs deserve credit for MLF.
Why do I get the feeling we are inching toward the

"Love fell in BG's and MLF's lap" just like the narrative switched to that with Rodgers to TT and MM?
No. Rodgers literally fell in that draft. BG and MLF moved up to take Love.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Madcity_matt wrote:
09 Jan 2024 13:27
Drj820 wrote:

and

If you rated him as a top 10ish guy and you only have to give up a 4th to move up a few spots to grab him, I would call that falling into your lap. But I don't have the time or the inclination to debate semantics with you so you can call it whatever you want.
Ding, ding, ding!!! Exactly. Pick 136, the 3rd-last pick in the 4th-round (before comp picks).

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Madcity_matt wrote:
09 Jan 2024 13:27
Drj820 wrote:

and

thx.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 10:19
One thing about Lafleur and Love is I think they have similar personalitites.

Real low key guys. Laid back. But also they have a game face when its needed.

They dont have that dominant alpha energy that Rodgers wanted to show off to everyone at every chance, even when it was just weird

Like i bet Lafleur just tolerated Rodgers. He was always touching lafleur and being strange.

I bet Love and Lafleur actually like being around each other
I'm beginning to suspect MLF low key demeanor is an act, something he presents to the public and at the podium. When we see him in the locker room after big wins with the guys he is definitely not low key. :lol:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

I'd love to get that kicker named Tucker. ;) :lol:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Check out the third play below, the 59 yarder to Reed. LeRoy Butler shows why LaFleur said Reed wasn't even supposed to be in the progression.

Smart move by Reed to extend the route and great awareness by Love to see it.

https://www.packersnews.com/videos/spor ... 155502007/
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I feel like there are 3 simultaneous conversations going on in this thread, very hard to keep up, lol.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 13:46
I feel like there are 3 simultaneous conversations going on in this thread, very hard to keep up, lol.
I can't keep up with singular pointed conversations with this group of lawyer wannabes :thwap: :rotf:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."