2024 QB Carousel

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 17:10
Yoop wrote:
09 Jan 2024 12:18
BF004 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 12:03

Sure, in a perfect world for the Bears, they can just have both QB's next year on relatively dirt cheap contracts. But they aren't in a position like the Packers were to have a QB sit behind an established good vet.
I think Fields would benefit from a fresh start, new coaches, possibly more friendly QB schemes, that would free the Bears to take Williams or Mayes, and just bring in one of the available UFA QB's to play this season, my whole point is to groom a rookie QB, get a good QB coach, possibly even a new OC, what they have been doing hasn't worked so well.
Fields' would benefit from a switch to a team that would not utilize nor pay him as a QB. He sucks at QB skills.

His ceiling is short Taysom Hill. Gadget guy who can sometimes throw.
I disagree.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

How has no one mentioned the Drew Lock renaissance that we’re bound to see?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I love the idea of the same team drafting Daniels, hiring Monken, and signing Huntley to rebuild a QB room and coaching staff. I don’t care which team. But I like it.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote: Patriots - Nothing there, Mac Jones aint it, but we all knew that.

Then perhaps you need to add another team and player…?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Papa John wrote:
09 Jan 2024 16:22
Based on the limited action I have seen from Bailey Zappe, I actually don't hate him. I think he has a good arm and I have seen him demonstrate good decision making skills. I wouldn't write him off completely.
He wasn't bad in 2022, but he started 6 games this year, and he regressed quite a bit; he was statistically worse than Mac Jones.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:49
Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:45
NCF wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:42
Atlanta is getting Justin Fields. I would bank on it regardless of who is the coach or GM. I think Blank will make it happen.
even if bears want to keep fields?

Like are you saying they will go for him if he is available, or they will move heaven and earth to get him?

Fields still under contract. I would keep him and draft a QB if i was the bears
There is this player power movement which I kind of agree with. If I am Justin Fields, I refuse to show up for anything or take another snap if Chicago goes QB at #1. I think too much of a circus to try to make it all work. You can only get away with that in GB. LOL.
In the right system, Fields is good enough at QB. If Da Bears draft a QB they trade him, avoid the drama and get a good 1st round pick for him. Either a high 1st or also a 3rd.

But I would not do that if I were the Bears GM. I would trade down and keep Fields.

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Jan 2024 03:41
NCF wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:49
Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 11:45

even if bears want to keep fields?

Like are you saying they will go for him if he is available, or they will move heaven and earth to get him?

Fields still under contract. I would keep him and draft a QB if i was the bears
There is this player power movement which I kind of agree with. If I am Justin Fields, I refuse to show up for anything or take another snap if Chicago goes QB at #1. I think too much of a circus to try to make it all work. You can only get away with that in GB. LOL.
In the right system, Fields is good enough at QB. If Da Bears draft a QB they trade him, avoid the drama and get a good 1st round pick for him. Either a high 1st or also a 3rd.

But I would not do that if I were the Bears GM. I would trade down and keep Fields.
Especially if the team that they traded with, next few years first round selection was (and obviously would be) the compensation. The number 1 pick which this year is especially coveted, should be a franchise altering move. Ala, Hershel to the Vikings! I hope the Bares draft Williams, and plunk all that into his future. Give him the job next summer, and let Chicago and the the expectations chew him up.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

BF004 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 13:19
Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 12:20
BF004 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 12:03

Sure, in a perfect world for the Bears, they can just have both QB's next year on relatively dirt cheap contracts. But they aren't in a position like the Packers were to have a QB sit behind an established good vet.
i dont think fields has earned himself that much money in the open market. 20m maybe? The upside of playing is just to try to earn his marking into the 35+m market
Even he would signed like a Garrapolo-ish contract, something like 3 year $75 million. Still gunna come with a $30m guarantee, give or take, that will give him the realistic ability to be financially set forever.

His rookie contract was $19M, in a high tax state, likely living a lavish nfl lifestyle, no future expected income over the age of like 26, probably just isn’t enough to live off of forever, realistically.

So yeah, I wouldn’t take a snap for the Bears again without a contract. Which he would get from a new team.
If $19m less tax isn't enough to live on forever, then neither is $50m. If you can find a way to blue the $19m, you can find a way to blue more.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
09 Jan 2024 21:03

Well if we are looking at first three seasons, gotta remember that Lawrence had a really bad first year under Urban Meyer while Mac looked good/promising that year, while Lawrence more recently has looked good while Mac more recently has looked unplayable. The trajectory on Lawrence has been up overall, even with a disappointing finish this season, and Mac's has been a nosedive (for many reasons that are not his fault, but still).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Labrev wrote:
10 Jan 2024 08:20
APB wrote:

Well if we are looking at first three seasons, gotta remember that Lawrence had a really bad first year under Urban Meyer while Mac looked good/promising that year, while Lawrence more recently has looked good while Mac more recently has looked unplayable. The trajectory on Lawrence has been up overall, even with a disappointing finish this season, and Mac's has been a nosedive (for many reasons that are not his fault, but still).
Lawrence has had several injuries during the last half of the season. I think this really impacted his play.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:

Nah, Jags just had a first year head coach, don’t have a top pick, and have Lawrence signed till ‘25 with this fifth year option. Jacksonville won’t be in the starting QB market.