Packers @ 49ers Divisional GDT: Saturday, January 20th, 2024, 7:15 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Based on that chart above, it doesn’t look as though it really matters what coverage you throw at Purdy or Love. They tear up whatever coverage they face.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Jan 2024 23:44
Papa John wrote:
15 Jan 2024 22:58
Drj820 wrote:
15 Jan 2024 21:55
I called the Dallas game from a week away. I said I felt sorry for Big Mike for what we were about to do to him and his coaching career. And I was right….

Do hope I’m not right about the niner game. Do hope that we are just even better than I imagine, and the niners are a little more beatable than I imagine.

I expect the party to end in San Fran, just like it has year after year.

But hey, I do believe in magic.
I expect us to compete in SF. I think it will be a close game, win or lose.

I may not look like the type of guy who has been in a dog fight, but I have been in my fair share of them south of the border. The most dangerous fighter is the one with the least to lose. That's us.
It doesn’t matter if you look like you’ve been in a fight or not. The right questions are can you fight and can you land shot that will make them remember you.

My whole life I’ve gotten into fights and my mentality is either I’m getting a knockout or I’m being the one getting knocked out but before people step in to clear it out I’m taking some teeth with me. I would say I’m undefeated.

That’s what we need. Come in here and look the 49ers in the face like the little punk pussies they are and tell them I like ya and I wants ya. Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way. The choice is yours.
$%@# A. You might be my brother from another mother. We shouldn’t ever hang out together though- we’d both end up in a jail cell. :beer2:
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

My boss is a 9ers fan and I want to tell him to eat my ass after a win so bad.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Jan 2024 21:29
You don’t need a Packers win to do that. Just sayin’…

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

just saw this ranking

NFL playoff divisional round defenses: Fewest points allowed per game

Baltimore Ravens (16.5) (league rank: 1)
Kansas City Chiefs (17.3) (league rank: 2)
San Francisco 49ers (17.5) (league rank: 3)
Buffalo Bills (18.3) (league rank: 4)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (19.1) (league rank: 6)
Green Bay Packers (20.6) (league rank: 10)
Houston Texans (20.8) (league rank: 11)
Detroit Lions (23.2) (league rank: 23)

NFL playoff divisional round defenses: Fewest yards allowed per game

Kansas City Chiefs (289.8) (league rank: 2)
Baltimore Ravens (301.4) (league rank: 6)
San Francisco 49ers (303.9) (league rank: 8)
Buffalo Bills (307.2) (league rank: 9)
Houston Texans (330.7) (league rank: 14)
Green Bay Packers (335.1) (league rank: 18)
Detroit Lions (336.1) (league rank: 19)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (344.2) (league rank: 23)

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ranking-de ... 16573.html

we know stats are but a reference, and that what matter is how you play on Sunday, well last Sunday we exposed and humiliated, !@#$ pounded into submission, the number 6 over all defense in the National football league.

I like being the under dogs, course I doubt the Niners will over look who we are like the Girls from Dallas did, or we'll trounce them too, may happen anyway the way Love and this offense is rolling, GO PACK GO :aok:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Jan 2024 21:29
Possible he is already into that, don't ask, don't get.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just read a piece in The Athletic that says the 49ers main weaknesses are:

1. kick coverage (we have an All Pro kick returner, but the 49ers mostly kick out of the end zone now to mask their coverage issues; look for Nixon to take any opportunity he has)

2. Chase Young doesn't know the scheme yet and is in for Ferrell, who did know it. Not sure if that's a thing we can/will exploit, but it does pair up with the strength of our pass protection

3. Nickel CB. And the Packers have a deep group of weapons (they also got the Cowboys in nickel versus their 2-TE sets and exploited that in the run game, but I doubt the 49ers would play nickel vs 2-TE and make it that easy for us to keep them in it)

4. Interior OL--an injury replacement guard (and a shaky RT, too really) which happens to match up well with the Packers having Clark, Wyatt and Brooks inside (and an athletic pass rushing tandem on the edge)

So my take is that we are well set up to exploit the weaknesses this team does have, if we can limit the impact of their ability to exploit their strength vs our weakness--the middle of the field passing game vs our LBs and safeties in coverage

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The Green Bay Packers will take on the San Francisco 49ers in the Divisional Playoffs.

This will be the 10th postseason meeting between the Packers and 49ers, the most between any two teams in NFL playoff history.
San Francsico holds a 5-4 edge in the postseason series while Green Bay holds the advantage in points (218-204).
Of the nine postseason contests betweeen the Packers and 49ers, only three games have been decided by single digits with all three of those contests having a margin of three points. Two of those three-point games have come in the last three matchups (2013 Wild Card and 2021 Divisional).
Saturday will be the fifth meeting between Green Bay and San Francisco in the Divisional Playoffs, (1995, 1996, 2012, 2021) with each team winnning two games.
Green Bay will be facing San Francisco in the playoffs for the third time in the last four seasons (2020, 2022). Dating back to the 2014 season, the 49ers will become the second opponent the Packers have faced three times in the playoffs (Dallas, 2014, 2016, 2023).
The Packers are 3-2 against San Francisco at Levi's Stadium (including postseason), including wins in each of their last two visits (2020-21). Green Bay has a winning percentage of .600 at Levi's, which is tied with the Arizona Cardinals and Seattle Seahawks (both are 6-4) for No. 1 in the NFL among teams to play there more than twice.
The Packers (56) and 49ers (54) have the top regular-season win totals in the NFC since 2019. Including the playoffs, Green Bay has the top winning percentage in the NFC (.663, 59-30) while the 49ers check in at No. 2 (.652, 60-32) over that span.
https://www.packers.com/news/dope-sheet ... an-20-2024
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah our front 7 is key. The 9ers don't have the OLine they once had.

Our Front 7 has had games they absolutely took over. We didn't really do that last week. We need to absolutely do that this week.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Darnell Savage makes an appearance on GMF:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Just have to make him think about pass rush, hit him hard and often, do that and we could get some more turn overs :mrgreen:

Purdy responded, though, with a brilliant 2023 campaign in which he threw 31 touchdowns, 11 interceptions and led the NFL in passer rating (113.0) among quarterbacks that threw at least 75 passes.

Purdy had three games, though, where he threw two interceptions, or more. And the common theme was all three teams made Purdy uncomfortable.

Baltimore had nine quarterback hits on Purdy and intercepted him four times during a 33-19 win last month. Cincinnati had two interceptions of Purdy and hit him seven times during a Week 8 win in San Francisco. And Minnesota — which led the NFL in blitz percentage — sent extra rushers at Purdy throughout their Week 7 matchup and intercepted him twice.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreische ... 92a9b84451

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
17 Jan 2024 17:11
Man, it's just hard to believe that their run D could be bad. With those linebackers and that front. But I guess we have seen stranger things.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Captain_Ben wrote:
17 Jan 2024 17:13
BF004 wrote:
Man, it's just hard to believe that their run D could be bad. With those linebackers and that front. But I guess we have seen stranger things.
I’ve been saying this. It’s just like the Cowboys. They’re a fast defense but they’re small. You can shove them around. The key is sticking with it. They will wear down if you lean in them.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Papa John wrote:
15 Jan 2024 15:21
I think we have a legitimate shot a winning it all this year, and my reasoning is this: the rest of the playoff teams feel like old news to me. We've already seen the Bills and the Eagles and the 49ers and even the Ravens play their respective brands of football for multiple years now. Everyone knows what they are. Everyone knows who their best players are. And everyone has all kinds of tape on them.

We don't even know who the #1 receiver on our own team is. Aside from us and maybe the Lions, there is a stale feeling with the rest of these teams. Not saying they aren't good teams. I'm just saying that the element of the unknown is one of the most valuable advantages that a team can have in the playoffs. And this Packers team has it, maybe more than any playoff team I have ever seen.

I'm not afraid to say it. I believe in this team- not just in the future, but right now.
I'd also like it if we have been holding back Jordan Love from running the ball until we absolutely need it, and we can spring the fact that he's actually a tremendous read-option QB on the rest of the league in the postseason.

I love the fact that he has been able to accomplish what he has, without ever running the ball more than like an old geezer 38-year old QB would do, but at the same time, a few well-timed QB runs can be what set apart the Super Bowl champions from the teams who lose along the way. It's great if he never runs at all during the regular season but then pulls it out of the bag come playoff time. Had Rodgers done that at all over the past 4 years we might have won 2 SBs. QBs who run because they have to run rarely if ever amount to anything, but QBs who can dominate you with the pass but then also choose to make the occasional play with their legs become unstoppable.

People forget that Harbaugh nearly rode this strategy to a title in 2012. Alex Smith was their QB for like half the season and when they switched to Kaep, nobody could figure them out. Everyone did of course figure him out and he became pedestrian or worse, but for that first year and a half or so, he was unstoppable.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Captain_Ben wrote:
17 Jan 2024 17:13
BF004 wrote:
I don't mind one bit if Fred Warner makes 20 tackles, as long as most of them are 5+ yards beyond the LOS (on their side).

;-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I live in the SF Bay Area. I’ve said all year that the Niners are going to win the SB.

Great coach, stout defense, and unstoppable playmakers. Are they invincible? No. They can be beat. More on that later.

The Niners beat the Cowboys 42-10 in Oct.

ARik Armstead is back which will greatly help their run D. So is Jauan Jennings which is a nice outlet receiver for Purdy.

CMC and Debo break tackles….multiple tackles and can take it to the house on any play and they have numerous times even in the same game. Who is going to cover Kittle? Savage?

If Fred Warner misses a tackle, a lot of times it’s because he’s trying to punch the ball out.

Purdy had MVP numbers until he threw 4 ints a few games ago in the rain. Rain might be his kryptonite. 9.5” hands compared to JLove’s 10.25”.

The Niners are vulnerable in their pass defense. However, their DBs love to maul the receivers and the refs usually let them get away with it.

I don’t think there will be much rust for the Niners. Shanahan worked Purdy with both the 1’s and the scout team before their last game. Last week was not a normal bye week for them. They practiced like they normally would and had one practice in pads with starting O going against the starting D.

Shanahan has come close and he really wants the SB ring. He ain’t messing around.

The Packers can win by just out scoring them. Jones has an intuitive sense on when and where to hit the hole. He could maybe rush for 80 yards and another 40 through the air. The Packers will need some long returns from Nixon and Reed to shorten the field. Love is going to have to sling it in the 4th qtr.

Packers 41
Niners 36
Love is the answer…

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Saw Romeo doubs on the media circuit today appearing of skips show.

Heard another packer player talking about how Purdy sucks when you pressure him.

Last Time this team left the “hungry phase” and entered the “cocky” phase was after we beat the lions and chiefs and ended up dropping games to the Bucs and Giants.

Not the time to give Purdy and San Fran bulletin board material and not the time to be on tv midweek.

Time to stay hungry and lock in.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23