2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

You do realize we have no idea if Bo Callahan was a bust or not, right?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lol

That movie was so $%@# shtupid

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
14 Jan 2024 21:25
Packers can now get pick 25, 29, 31, or 32nd pick in the draft.
I hope we pick 32nd!!!

OK, so Andy Herman said it first. lol
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scott4Pack wrote:
16 Jan 2024 19:27
BF004 wrote:
14 Jan 2024 21:25
Packers can now get pick 25, 29, 31, or 32nd pick in the draft.
I hope we pick 32nd!!!

OK, so Andy Herman said it first. lol
If didn't tank for top 5, might as well be assigned 32

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wallyuwl wrote:
16 Jan 2024 18:18
go pak go wrote:
14 Jan 2024 21:56
APB wrote:
14 Jan 2024 21:44

Always sabotaging themselves with those low draft slots… :mrgreen:
shoulda tanked in week 9 like wally said.

we could have gotten Caleb Williams :thwap:
I wasn't the only one. But Caleb Williams = Bo Callahan, so no. We need a true #1 WR and could have used a nice and high pick. Though Wicks may become a WR1.
Really? Is the offense struggling without one?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I would lose my frickin' mind (in a bad way) if we spent a first on a WR (aside from Harrison and Nabin, but they're way out of range)

WR and QB are the only positions I feel like we're so good I'd eliminate those positions as first round picks.
RB and TE probably eliminated because of positional value, but we could probably add TE to our too-strong-to-spend-a-first if TEs were worth drafting in the first (I will for sure value Bowers in round one, though; I haven't reconciled how I can feel that so strongly and also feel strongly against 1st round TEs and also feel very positively toward second-round TEs as if there's some magical dividing line between picks 32 and 33 that makes it ok)

working through some things over here.

But anyway, yeah. We do not need a #1 WR

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

While I'm on contradictions I think Caleb Williams HAS to be the number one pick. He's everything.

And also that he HAS to sit a year. He'll misuse everything if he doesn't.

But I want to see him succeed and I know the Bears will bungle it, so I can't see him go to the Bears even as a Packers fan, the Bears taking an elite-ceiling QB who needs refinement and development to gain down-to-down consistency necessary to reach that ceiling and then completely rushing his development and getting a boom-or-bust prospect trending toward bust would be a delight.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jan 2024 21:46
While I'm on contradictions I think Caleb Williams HAS to be the number one pick. He's everything.

And also that he HAS to sit a year. He'll misuse everything if he doesn't.

But I want to see him succeed and I know the Bears will bungle it, so I can't see him go to the Bears even as a Packers fan, the Bears taking an elite-ceiling QB who needs refinement and development to gain down-to-down consistency necessary to reach that ceiling and then completely rushing his development and getting a boom-or-bust prospect trending toward bust would be a delight.
Im not a fan of midget QBs. If they can’t see over the line they are an extreme outlier. If you are taking a QB top 3 he needs to end up being a top 10 QB. I don’t believe in Caleb based on his size. He’s going to get killed.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Jan 2024 21:50
Im not a fan of midget QBs. If they can’t see over the line they are an extreme outlier. If you are taking a QB top 3 he needs to end up being a top 10 QB. I don’t believe in Caleb based on his size. He’s going to get killed.
wait I think I agree with you. I didn't know Williams was small. How small is he? Do I have to rethink everything? After Collapsing for Caleb in Dynasty?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Oh, 6'1" 215. That's fine. I thought you meant like Bryce Young Kyler Murray small.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jan 2024 22:00
Oh, 6'1" 215. That's fine. I thought you meant like Bryce Young Kyler Murray small.
Agree, although I assume that's the ht/wt USC is putting out there...? Don't schools typically take liberty with stretching that information?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
17 Jan 2024 05:44
YoHoChecko wrote:
Agree, although I assume that's the ht/wt USC is putting out there...? Don't schools typically take liberty with stretching that information?

I would more say that you can’t guarantee a school’s listing is accurate than say it’s typically safe to assume that it’s inaccurate.

I’ve never seen him and thought he looks “too small” like I do with some others, but we’ll get the scoop at the combine anyway. And if he goes on a weight gain journey, I’m confident we’ll hear about it just the way we did about Bryce Young’s efforts to hit 200 lbs

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Jan 2024 06:23
APB wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I would more say that you can’t guarantee a school’s listing is accurate than say it’s typically safe to assume that it’s inaccurate.

I’ve never seen him and thought he looks “too small” like I do with some others, but we’ll get the scoop at the combine anyway. And if he goes on a weight gain journey, I’m confident we’ll hear about it just the way we did about Bryce Young’s efforts to hit 200 lbs
would you consider Mayes a big drop from Williams? some think he is more pro typical, some think the Bears would prefer him

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
17 Jan 2024 06:42

would you consider Mayes a big drop from Williams? some think he is more pro typical, some think the Bears would prefer him
Honestly haven't looked at all; as a fan of a team with no need at QB, I'm not digging deep into the top-5 QB group.

My love for Williams stems from him being a relatively local guy (a work buddy went to Georgetown Prep and has been talking about Williams since he was a backup at Oklahoma), then he went to USC--where I attended college for my first 2.5 years before transferring--but in my time there I worked in the athletic office and was very very invested and involved in the day-to-day of football success/failure, so I'm probably a bigger USC football fan than I am Georgia or Maryland (the two schools I actually got degrees from)

Point is, my love for Caleb Williams is emotional, not analytical, which carries over to my opinions of his play. He makes a ton of incredible, Mahomes-like off schedule throws. He buys time and does the crazy arm talent thing. When you see crazy arm talent mixed with the awareness and creativity needed to be a playmaker out of structure, you salivate. That's what it takes to be Mahomes and Love.

But his downside is that he TOO OFTEN goes off schedule and tries to buy time. In a way it reminds me of the late McCarthy Rodgers years, when McCarthy misunderstood the analytics of explosive plays to start trying for them too often, knocking the offense out of rhythm, and Rodgers, even while spiritually feuding with McCarthy on back channels, totally bought into the big play thing and constantly hunted for them.

So that's the sort of habit that scares you as a prospect, because you want rhythm and you need to evaluate whether he has the quick processing to make the right read and throw. That's the sort of skill you enhance a lot better in the playbook and practice than at game speed where the incentive is to break structure and make a play.

So more than a thorough draft analysis, I have a theory of how to find and build elite QBs that Caleb Williams fits beautifully into, if managed correctly. And so unless/until I decide to dive in and say so, take my Caleb Williams takes with that background. It's as a fan and theorist not as a film cruncher and evaluator (which is a thing I like to dabble in a good deal with other positions and prospects)

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
APB wrote:

Maye is always the type I prefer over Williams. What I have learned in recent years with QB scouting is to watch some off-field interviews. Is the guy a D-Bag? Those QB's rarely ever make it. Honestly, it was one of the things that drew me to Jordan Love at the 2020 Combine. If Maye has the personality and work ethic, he is a better prospect than Williams, at least to me.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Nice, quick highlight package with a compare/contrast.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Say the Bears do decide to trade out, stick with Fields or whatever.

What are some trade partners and destinations and what might some trades look like?

I think going from #1 to #3 makes sense with NE, can probably get NE's future first, likely to be very high, and probably even another 2nd and more. Get the best non-QB prospect in the draft, maybe Marvin Harrison.

Tennessee and Atlanta at 7 and 8 would pretty much have to match what the Panthers gave up last year, basically 3 firsts plus more.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
17 Jan 2024 09:30
Yoop wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Maye is always the type I prefer over Williams. What I have learned in recent years with QB scouting is to watch some off-field interviews. Is the guy a D-Bag? Those QB's rarely ever make it. Honestly, it was one of the things that drew me to Jordan Love at the 2020 Combine. If Maye has the personality and work ethic, he is a better prospect than Williams, at least to me.
physically I think either of Williams or Maye's can be very good, it's the thinking part that is hard to evaluate, Williams imho may have the upper hand in that department, he looks so quick when forced to reset, Maye's is so big that he'll be hard to take down, for a pocket passer, size is a great advantage.

Always felt a decent passer could look good and do well in college, games a bit slower, and less diverse then the pro game, still believe even as good as these two seem a year sitting and learning would make them better then they already seem to be.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
17 Jan 2024 09:59
Say the Bears do decide to trade out, stick with Fields or whatever.

What are some trade partners and destinations and what might some trades look like?

I think going from #1 to #3 makes sense with NE, can probably get NE's future first, likely to be very high, and probably even another 2nd and more. Get the best non-QB prospect in the draft, maybe Marvin Harrison.

Tennessee and Atlanta at 7 and 8 would pretty much have to match what the Panthers gave up last year, basically 3 firsts plus more.
If they have really strong conviction, I would consider moving all the way out and getting the bag. Washington, New England, Giants, Titans, Falcons are the Top-10 Teams being talked about, but just after that, I would keep an eye on NY Jets, Vikings, Broncos, Raiders, and Saints. The further they trade back, the more they will get in return and still have Pick 9 to move back up or do whatever else with.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »