Jordan Freaking Love

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

An interesting point and something different from previous years. Makes the field "bigger" and helps the linemen.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Jan 2024 12:53

An interesting point and something different from previous years. Makes the field "bigger" and helps the linemen.
One comment I will make again and I have mentioned it before quite awhile ago is, I didnt like him doing this . However the reason I didn't was it seemed these throws were flutter balls that hung in the air and ended up being dangerous to be picked. I'm talking about throwing while moving back and off his back foot or even with his feet off the ground. Now, he is using his arm talent and being decisive and letting it rip and some of his most impressive plays have been just that. I will still stick with he is not even close to the same player now as then. He has just gotten so good and confident in himself and the recievers and system.

And yes, staying in the pocket keeps the entire field as an option where as rolling out doesn't. Rodgers rolled out quite a lot to bide some time and was good at it. Maybe this is Jordan Love's niche so to speak.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

MY_TAKE wrote:
17 Jan 2024 14:51
Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Jan 2024 12:53

One comment I will make again and I have mentioned it before quite awhile ago is, I didnt like him doing this . However the reason I didn't was it seemed these throws were flutter balls that hung in the air and ended up being dangerous to be picked. I'm talking about throwing while moving back and off his back foot or even with his feet off the ground. Now, he is using his arm talent and being decisive and letting it rip and some of his most impressive plays have been just that. I will still stick with he is not even close to the same player now as then. He has just gotten so good and confident in himself and the recievers and system.

And yes, staying in the pocket keeps the entire field as an option where as rolling out doesn't. Rodgers rolled out quite a lot to bide some time and was good at it. Maybe this is Jordan Love's niche so to speak.
He still needs to transfer his weight and throw off his front foot more, but you are 100%, he has been more confident with his back foot throws. It will bit him at some point though.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I still don't know what JL will do against the Niners. But after that Boys game, he is still hitting milestones. Every good playoff performance makes a difference for next year and beyond.

I hate to say this next part. But have we seen games where JL WILLED our team to victory? Sometimes, you get the honor of watching a player do that. AR12 did it in that last playoff game in Dallas. And he almost did it his first playoff game against the Cards of Curt Warner. (Only Warner willed it more.)

What happens if we start to see games like that in the playoffs, where our QB asserts himself against all odds. If players drop from injuries, if they need to overcome big plays, if they need a closing TD drive at the end...

That is the one piece I am still wanting to see so bad. Maybe within the next couple of weeks?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
17 Jan 2024 17:49
I still don't know what JL will do against the Niners. But after that Boys game, he is still hitting milestones. Every good playoff performance makes a difference for next year and beyond.

I hate to say this next part. But have we seen games where JL WILLED our team to victory? Sometimes, you get the honor of watching a player do that. AR12 did it in that last playoff game in Dallas. And he almost did it his first playoff game against the Cards of Curt Warner. (Only Warner willed it more.)

What happens if we start to see games like that in the playoffs, where our QB asserts himself against all odds. If players drop from injuries, if they need to overcome big plays, if they need a closing TD drive at the end...

That is the one piece I am still wanting to see so bad. Maybe within the next couple of weeks?
The defense played well, but in the Bears game he willed this team to a win. On top of what he did he had another 2 TDs dropped.

Last week he damn near had a perfect QBR. That’s willing a team to a win.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

We was great last week no doubt, but so was everyone else. Do that when Aaron Jones has a fumble or two and getting 2.5 yards a carry. Or when your receivers have dropped 4-5 pinpoint passes. Or when the oline isn’t getting run over. Or the defense is giving up scores and not making them on ints.

Last week was a pretty sweet game, but I would t classify that as a qb carrying a team.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

It is undeniable that Love is now a top 5 NFL QB. Maybe top 2 on a good week.

But I think we give all QB's too much credit. The young receivers including the TE's have been getting open and making difficult catches. The Oline gets better every week and is now a good Oline. Aaron Jones makes the opposing D respect the Packers running game. MLF had gotten better at calling the plays, in part because no one is making mistakes in execution and he has the full play book available to him.

The D is also better but part of that is because they are fresh because the O is not going 3-and-out.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Love arguably is the best QB in the NFC and he doesn't have much competition, just Dak, Purdy, and Stafford.

We gotta make a serious championship push for the next three seasons while the NFC is this wide open, and before the coming draft adds lots of good QBs.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Jan 2024 06:36
It is undeniable that Love is now a top 5 NFL QB. Maybe top 2 on a good week.

But I think we give all QB's too much credit. The young receivers including the TE's have been getting open and making difficult catches. The Oline gets better every week and is now a good Oline. Aaron Jones makes the opposing D respect the Packers running game. MLF had gotten better at calling the plays, in part because no one is making mistakes in execution and he has the full play book available to him.

The D is also better but part of that is because they are fresh because the O is not going 3-and-out.
Finally this team is supporting the play of there QB, obviously there young and had to mature, but Love could have progressed sooner if they would have as well.

funny how people are picking on technique, the same way we picked on that stuff from the last QB we had, or even the HOFamer prior to him.

thing is asking a player to remake everything he does often ruins that player, Clements and Lafleur know there are limits to that, it's a baby step process, Love is near perfect just the way he is, why mess with that.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Isn't it weird how it seems every player on the team has improved as Jordan Love has taken his play to an elite level?

It's not a coincidence.

Jordan Love playing near perfectly in the system makes everyone on offense's job easier. Easier to block when defense is waiting to figure out run or pass in the first 0.6 seconds. At least 1 WR is going to get open and Love usually finds him. And if nobody is open Love can still make the throw. MLF is looking like a genius more and more with brilliant play designs. Jones is a big part as well - how did he get faster as he got older? He has never looked better!

Defense is helped by playing with a lead and getting long periods of rest while the offense controls the ball.

Then there is the overall confidence and leadership of Love. One of the pundits was saying how it looks like the entire team is looking energized and having fun out there. We haven't seen that in some time. Even when we were in those 13 win seasons. Players look fresh, confident, and excited to make a play.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoopIdol.jpg
YoopIdol.jpg (274.1 KiB) Viewed 604 times
YoopJealous.jpg
YoopJealous.jpg (189.21 KiB) Viewed 604 times

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

thank you :aok:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Feel like we are beating this to death, but dear gawd

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
18 Jan 2024 11:08
Feel like we are beating this to death, but dear gawd

forget the QB's for a moment, imho Mike McCarthy is/or was back then a ultra conservative coach, possibly the game was different and more often a mistake decided the outcome of games more, just look at his passing schemes, iso ( 1x1) vertical pass routes where double coverage was decided by the over the top safety.

that became a hold over with Lafleur till this season with a new QB, now we see more center field crossing routes, and more complexity with route schemes, and a QB who seems unafraid of short center passing.

I think these changes allows a freer Love to play a riskier style, plus he's had success with it, imo the coaches dictate the difference. :idn:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yes, Love is helping the receivers play better. And that goes vice versa too.

I seem to recall that Reed and Doubs have had good hands all year long. Kraft does too, but he barely played before Musgrave got hurt.

All the others have started making contested catches, even impressively. And I'd bet that we have significantly fewer drops too.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

As a counter to my post about a QB willing his team to a win, I'll refer to one writer who said (of great QBs) that if they are playing up to their level, there isn't a defense that can stop them.

I want to think about that for a moment. Is Love at that level these past few weeks?

Admittedly, Love has how many weapons who are peaking along with him. What other team has that?

Wicks, Doubs, Watson, Jones, Musgrave, Kraft, Melton, Reed, etc. (I almost forgot Reed!) It isn't fair for defenses.

At any given play, you are likely to have five of those guys on the field. One will almost always be in the flat. And the Niners will usually guard the field with seven guys. But our guys have learned how to run routes, flow with the QB on busted plays, make contested catches, etc.

If our OLine holds up, Love SHOULD be able to continue racking points and controlling the clock. Jenkins, Tom, and Walker are solid. The other two are good enough. As a unit, they have gelled.

So again, is Love (and our offense) ascending enough that no defense can slow them down? I do think we'll find out on Saturday.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Funny how getting chewed out by their QB in front of millions of people was not at all necessary for the WRs to improve.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Labrev wrote:
18 Jan 2024 20:44
'Funny how getting chewed out by their QB in front of millions of people was not at all necessary for the WRs to improve.
Obviously taking a shot at Rodgers here. I would have preferred him not doing that either. Other legendary QBs have gotten openly testy with their teammates during games on national TV also though. I think we all know that. I am referring to P. Manning and Brady.

Some guys can handle it and it might be a positive, others maybe not so much. I guess I just feel like sticking up for my old QB.

I know MLF (not Rodgers) bitched the hell out of Musgrave this year for something he did wrong openly and then preceded to bench him for a bit. Sometimes its tough to be chill when you practice something over and over and then a teammate or coworker somehow $%@# it up.

Again. I would have preferred Rodgers not do that sort of thing ( although i don't believe he had any malicious point to it, he was just frustrated as a professional athlete.) Sometimes I feel Rogers got criticized too much for this. I do think he got to be a crabby old man a bit toward the end in GB. I will give you that. But, (tears) Thats my QB man. :lol: