2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jan 2024 21:40
I would lose my frickin' mind (in a bad way) if we spent a first on a WR (aside from Harrison and Nabin, but they're way out of range)

WR and QB are the only positions I feel like we're so good I'd eliminate those positions as first round picks.
RB and TE probably eliminated because of positional value, but we could probably add TE to our too-strong-to-spend-a-first if TEs were worth drafting in the first (I will for sure value Bowers in round one, though; I haven't reconciled how I can feel that so strongly and also feel strongly against 1st round TEs and also feel very positively toward second-round TEs as if there's some magical dividing line between picks 32 and 33 that makes it ok)

working through some things over here.

But anyway, yeah. We do not need a #1 WR
We have a #1 WR. Unfortunately he has hammy problems. But when he is healthy he is unstoppable and will put up 100 yards on 5 catches every game if not double covered on every play. And that means someone else will be open on every play.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The Packers need a safety. They will need to replace Campbell soon and they need a swing tackle assuming Nijman is not resigned. It is also possible that JRJ is not resigned so in that case they need a guard/backup center. A RB is a need too if they don't resign Dillon, but I think they will.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Jan 2024 06:58
The Packers need a safety. They will need to replace Campbell soon and they need a swing tackle assuming Nijman is not resigned. It is also possible that JRJ is not resigned so in that case they need a guard/backup center. A RB is a need too if they don't resign Dillon, but I think they will.
JMO

RB is #1 need, let Dillon go, buy a safety and draft a safety, doubling up with a walk on ready to play safety and drafting one to coach up should fix that position, interior positions, specially because we play so much zone imo takes longer to learn, same at ILB, I think about these positions like we do TE, to much stuff to know to expect rookies to do well.

what seemed like a weakness 3 or 4 months ago has vastly improved over the course of the season, our OL has no real weakness now, sure we'd always like to make improvements or have the luxury to just take a player maybe two, but not over taking a lber to groom.

we still have games to play to evaluate the players we have now, but RB to me seems our biggest need, this offense is night and day better when we can run the ball.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
18 Jan 2024 07:12
TheSkeptic wrote:
JMO

RB is #1 need, let Dillon go, buy a safety and draft a safety, doubling up with a walk on ready to play safety and drafting one to coach up should fix that position, interior positions, specially because we play so much zone imo takes longer to learn, same at ILB, I think about these positions like we do TE, to much stuff to know to expect rookies to do well.

what seemed like a weakness 3 or 4 months ago has vastly improved over the course of the season, our OL has no real weakness now, sure we'd always like to make improvements or have the luxury to just take a player maybe two, but not over taking a lber to groom.

we still have games to play to evaluate the players we have now, but RB to me seems our biggest need, this offense is night and day better when we can run the ball.
I don't think Dillon is going to break the bank. Being hurt in the playoffs and therefore invisible is not going to help his bank account. I would certainly be looking for a RB in the draft but not until the 3rd round or later. Plus I like Wilson - he is not as big as Dillon but he is faster and quicker. Let Dillon test the water and find it too cold and resign cheap

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Get me Derrick Henry or another 2nd round back.

No real desire to have Dillon. He’s much better than Taylor and Wilson, but his availability is awful too. Might as well get someone with more upside or actual production.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
18 Jan 2024 09:05
Get me Derrick Henry or another 2nd round back.

No real desire to have Dillon. He’s much better than Taylor and Wilson, but his availability is awful too. Might as well get someone with more upside or actual production.
I think this is the first year he has missed any games sue to injury.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Jan 2024 08:02
Yoop wrote:
18 Jan 2024 07:12
TheSkeptic wrote:
JMO

I don't think Dillon is going to break the bank. Being hurt in the playoffs and therefore invisible is not going to help his bank account. I would certainly be looking for a RB in the draft but not until the 3rd round or later. Plus I like Wilson - he is not as big as Dillon but he is faster and quicker. Let Dillon test the water and find it too cold and resign cheap
Dillon is like taking a knife to a gun fight, your going to get a dull result, I want the best RB in the draft, which sound like at late 1 or early 2nd round pick, but I've done no real research on who that RB is.

Wilson is almost as slow as Dillon, and neither have the vision of Jones, and while Jones may retain health next season, he is on the downside of RB shelf life, time to attempt to replace his production.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
18 Jan 2024 09:40
[I don't think Dillon is going to break the bank. Being hurt in the playoffs and therefore invisible is not going to help his bank account. I would certainly be looking for a RB in the draft but not until the 3rd round or later. Plus I like Wilson - he is not as big as Dillon but he is faster and quicker. Let Dillon test the water and find it too cold and resign cheap

Dillon is like taking a knife to a gun fight, your going to get a dull result, I want the best RB in the draft, which sound like at late 1 or early 2nd round pick, but I've done no real research on who that RB is.

Wilson is almost as slow as Dillon, and neither have the vision of Jones, and while Jones may retain health next season, he is on the downside of RB shelf life, time to attempt to replace his production.
Who has better vision than Jones?

As for Wilson being slow, watch again:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Jan 2024 10:11
Yoop wrote:
18 Jan 2024 09:40
[I don't think Dillon is going to break the bank. Being hurt in the playoffs and therefore invisible is not going to help his bank account. I would certainly be looking for a RB in the draft but not until the 3rd round or later. Plus I like Wilson - he is not as big as Dillon but he is faster and quicker. Let Dillon test the water and find it too cold and resign cheap

Who has better vision than Jones?

As for Wilson being slow, watch again:
Wilson did look pretty fast out running that safety, but he doesn't have the short area quicks I want in a feature RB like Jones does, as to Vision there are several RB's that do in this draft, probably more if I research deeper.

I'd keep Jones another season and draft his replacement in this draft, we rely on being able to run the ball, I don't want to go 5 or more games next season minus the production Jones brings which our PA success depends on. :)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
21 Dec 2023 15:55
Anyone wanna go splitskis on a pff mock draft simulator pro account?

Think it would roughly be like $85 for a full year subscription and basically about the same doing it month by month for 5 months. Pretty much negligible.

https://www.pff.com/draft/nfl-mock-draft-simulator
:?:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
18 Jan 2024 10:39
BF004 wrote:

Think it would roughly be like $85 for a full year subscription and basically about the same doing it month by month for 5 months. Pretty much negligible.

Would be a nice thing to have for the forum to play with. I'd send you a chunk of change to go towards it.
RIP JustJeff

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Starting to feel like a dynamic running back might be our biggest need. This team plays so much differently when Jones is in the game, but it's riches to rags when he goes out. Safety, ILB, CB, depth line probably in that order after that for priority (not necessarily draft order)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Agree.

Hell, I’d add Derrick Henry and still take an RB in the 3rd.

Could definitely need a guy to take over as the guy as early as ‘25.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Madcity_matt wrote:
19 Jan 2024 12:29
Starting to feel like a dynamic running back might be our biggest need. This team plays so much differently when Jones is in the game, but it's riches to rags when he goes out. Safety, ILB, CB, depth line probably in that order after that for priority (not necessarily draft order)
The best thing about this list of needs--dynamic RB, S, ILB, iOL depth--is that it's not premium. Only the CB need involves a premium position. We can fill those needs on Day two, where we have 4 picks. It's a joy.

The worst thing about that list of needs is that we're in a down year for most of them. ILB, S, and RB are all very thin classes this year

I would like to see like a LB, a RB, 3 OL, and 3 secondary players out of this draft. Our holes are now mostly for positions that require depth or future starters rather than immediate starters, and that leaves a lot of room to maneuver. And we have boatloads of picks. It's gonna be a fun draft.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Been playing around with the PFF mock sim. We're picking late enough that I feel fine with drafting S Tyler Nubin in the first. #25 isn't really Round 1 in my mind, it's more like Round 1-2, there for the borderline guys.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
18 Jan 2024 11:21
BF004 wrote:
18 Jan 2024 10:39
BF004 wrote:

Would be a nice thing to have for the forum to play with. I'd send you a chunk of change to go towards it.
Same. I'd chip in to make it happen. Does the subscription also come with full site access?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Jan 2024 14:48
Madcity_matt wrote:
19 Jan 2024 12:29
The best thing about this list of needs--dynamic RB, S, ILB, iOL depth--is that it's not premium. Only the CB need involves a premium position. We can fill those needs on Day two, where we have 4 picks. It's a joy.

The worst thing about that list of needs is that we're in a down year for most of them. ILB, S, and RB are all very thin classes this year

I would like to see like a LB, a RB, 3 OL, and 3 secondary players out of this draft. Our holes are now mostly for positions that require depth or future starters rather than immediate starters, and that leaves a lot of room to maneuver. And we have boatloads of picks. It's gonna be a fun draft.
sounds like day 2 will start a run on RB's at some point, just taking a quick look a couple spots predict that anyway, the consensus had Benson FS, Brooks Texas, as the #1, with the damaged, high mileage Corum of Mi. if healthy combine workout a possible sleeper.

Safety is the position I think will be hard to fix, at least with a soon to be ready starter, not saying to not draft one, I'd just like to buy a vet to use while a drafted one is coached up?

Never checked Campbells contract, seems like we have him another year, if so, could this just be a down season for him do to nagging aches and injuries? if so draft priority could drop a round or 2, whatever, if a good player is sitting there , why pass, never have enough good lbers :lol:

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

BF004 wrote:
19 Jan 2024 14:03
Agree.

I just don't know how much gas Henry has left in the tank for next year, but it's clear we need at least a solid backup to Jones to keep the offense running. I love Dillon as a guy, and I think he works as a change of pace bruiser, but he isn't the type of back who can be a #1 in this offense.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Madcity_matt wrote:
19 Jan 2024 16:27
BF004 wrote:
19 Jan 2024 14:03
Agree.

I just don't know how much gas Henry has left in the tank for next year, but it's clear we need at least a solid backup to Jones to keep the offense running. I love Dillon as a guy, and I think he works as a change of pace bruiser, but he isn't the type of back who can be a #1 in this offense.
He was still balling all year. How could you not want him for December/January football in GB. Our huge knack always that we’re a team built for domes. He would help that.

He doesn’t need to be a 1,000 yard rusher here. But him and Jones combine to 1,800, prolly was a great year. Keep both fresh for January ball.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I'm kinda ambivalent on Henry, not that I doubt he can still play at a high-level, just not sure what his role is. I know what his role is in Madden, but not in this offense as I have been watching it.

I mean, I keep seeing the way we called run plays with Dillon, and I'm like... just let him go north-and-south, why are we making him run these slow-developing plays, waiting for pulling OL in front of him to clear a path, than get a head full of steam and just wear down the defense?

Henry is a better athlete than Dillon but I imagine he's largely the same style of running. The types of run plays we like to call just seem better suited to quicker 'backs. I'll assume if we sign him that we're not stupid and we have that figured out, but tbh I'm more interested in a RB like D'Andre Swift (not really Swift because he'll probably be costly, but more that type of RB).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto