Jordan Freaking Love

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

TheSkeptic wrote:
19 Jan 2024 17:11
In the offseason, Jordan Love, Jones, Doubs, Reed, Etling, Wicks and Watson all worked out together. Toure did not. Just saying...
To me it’s quite obvious, just as Rodgers said, Toure doesn’t like to work very hard and coasts.

I think the off-season work might show some of the ethic and desire that comes in handy once camp and the season starts, but I don’t think it has much impact on a season after day 2 of camp.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

musclestang wrote:
19 Jan 2024 18:45
TheSkeptic wrote:
In the offseason, Jordan Love, Jones, Doubs, Reed, Etling, Wicks and Watson all worked out together. Toure did not. Just saying...
To me it’s quite obvious, just as Rodgers said, Toure doesn’t like to work very hard and coasts.

I think the off-season work might show some of the ethic and desire that comes in handy once camp and the season starts, but I don’t think it has much impact on a season after day 2 of camp.
Rodgers said Toure doesn't like to work hard and coasts?

I just find this so hard to believe for a variety of reasons.

A. To link Toure not working out with Love and the gang for a couple days in June/July where they primarily hung out as boys and went bowling and raced go karts as evidence he isn't a hard worker is asinine.

https://www.packers.com/news/california ... s-catchers

B. By all accounts Toure had a great offseason as the coaches raved about his fitness level and muscle add

C. Toure was a 7th round pick. What coasting was there to do?

I am striking this up to "fans don't know what the hell they are talking about and projecting things based on almost no information"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

go pak go wrote:
19 Jan 2024 18:59
musclestang wrote:
19 Jan 2024 18:45
TheSkeptic wrote:

Rodgers said Toure doesn't like to work hard and coasts?

I just find this so hard to believe for a variety of reasons.

A. To link Toure not working out with Love and the gang for a couple days in June/July where they primarily hung out as boys and went bowling and raced go karts as evidence he isn't a hard worker is asinine.

https://www.packers.com/news/california ... s-catchers

B. By all accounts Toure had a great offseason as the coaches raved about his fitness level and muscle add

C. Toure was a 7th round pick. What coasting was there to do?

I am striking this up to "fans don't know what the hell they are talking about and projecting things based on almost no information"
They did have a nickname for him last year which I have forgotten, but yes, basically said he coasts in practice, plays it easy, whatever you want to call it.

And every year they pump guys up. At one point they did the same for Amari Rodgers. Maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about, but I’ve been around a while and read way past the agenda driven headlines and stories and try and meld experience, what I see and what I hear.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Proud member of the "pump the brakes on Toure hype" from day one. He was always just a guy who could put it together and be a nice piece if he took his time and developed and worked at it, but was never ever anything more than that. My upside comp for him was Adam Thielan--a guy who spent a year or two on the PS before emerging as a reliable target who put up starter numbers as the 2nd option in a good offense with good chemistry with his QB, but never was a "threat" or anything to have to account for.

If we didn't upgrade the position, Toure could have carved out a role as an unassuming 3rdoption with some inside/outside versatility. But we did upgrade the position and now we have 5-6 guys better than him. He didn't change/regress. Our WR room did.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

There were a million things that could have been different which would have caused us to win, but I want to highlight one specific thing that I was really hoping would be different with Love (versus Rodgers) but proved to not be, even when it was crunch time and we needed it most.

We need to have a QB who makes plays with his feet. We don't want a QB who does it often, but we have to have a guy who is willing to pick up the first down via running. We had 2 4th quarter drives stall out on instances where Love could have simply run the ball for the first down. That was the difference (well, one of the differences).

Rodgers early on made plenty of plays with his legs. That's where The Belt celebration came from. I figured he stopped making plays with his legs because he did not want to get injured, which is fair enough. Maybe he's older and slower, which is also fair enough. But Love has neither of those things stopping him at this point. MLF has got to train him to pick it up via the run at least sometimes. It's pretty much a mandatory skill come playoff time for any QB not named Tom Brady.

Note that while Love threw behind Aaron Jones on 3rd and short, and then had a wide open lane on the other drive to just pick up an easy 10 yards but chose not to run, Brock Purdy in crunch time chose to pick up 15 yards with his feet which set up their final TD with 1 minute left. I find it hard to believe that Love is a worse runner than Purdy.

This is an element to the game that we just totally leave off the board, that other good teams are not afraid to utilize. Look at all of the other good QBs, doesn't matter if they are known for throwing or running, they all make plays with their legs.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Well, the truth is out. Jordan Love is human and not perfect.

But it would have helped a lot if Tom had not gotten hurt and we had a swing tackle that was not a turnstile

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Sure Love had a bad 4th quarter, but that’s whatever. Jones was not used nearly enough.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

texas wrote:
20 Jan 2024 22:48
There were a million things that could have been different which would have caused us to win, but I want to highlight one specific thing that I was really hoping would be different with Love (versus Rodgers) but proved to not be, even when it was crunch time and we needed it most.

We need to have a QB who makes plays with his feet. We don't want a QB who does it often, but we have to have a guy who is willing to pick up the first down via running. We had 2 4th quarter drives stall out on instances where Love could have simply run the ball for the first down. That was the difference (well, one of the differences).

Rodgers early on made plenty of plays with his legs. That's where The Belt celebration came from. I figured he stopped making plays with his legs because he did not want to get injured, which is fair enough. Maybe he's older and slower, which is also fair enough. But Love has neither of those things stopping him at this point. MLF has got to train him to pick it up via the run at least sometimes. It's pretty much a mandatory skill come playoff time for any QB not named Tom Brady.

Note that while Love threw behind Aaron Jones on 3rd and short, and then had a wide open lane on the other drive to just pick up an easy 10 yards but chose not to run, Brock Purdy in crunch time chose to pick up 15 yards with his feet which set up their final TD with 1 minute left. I find it hard to believe that Love is a worse runner than Purdy.

This is an element to the game that we just totally leave off the board, that other good teams are not afraid to utilize. Look at all of the other good QBs, doesn't matter if they are known for throwing or running, they all make plays with their legs.
Jordan Love is about on the same spectrum as early Rodgers years. He had 50 attempts this year. More than Purdy.

I guess if you want to compare to guys like Allen and Jackson.... Well, sure, but I think those two are different breeds of QB's when talking about rushing abilities.
RIP JustJeff

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Also, I have to say it, and it's not overreacting to a loss (although I certainly would be holding this opinion in had we won).

Love is not the guy yet.

Why?

The rest of the league now has an offseason to figure him out. If he is still playing like this at this point next season, then I will be comfortable saying that he is the 3rd QB in a row for us. But year 2 of being a starter was always the last hurdle he had to clear.

And boy did he fall apart in the 4th quarter today. He still obviously has a level of suck in him that can come out, that Rodgers (for all his own faults) simply did not have (Favre had some suck in him but it was a different kind of suck than Love).

I would feel comfortable giving him the extension though, easily. He easily earned it and was one of the top QBs in the league in the 2nd half of the season. When we began the year, there was a distinct possibility it could have gone a lot worse than it did and he exceeded all expectations.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

texas wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:05
Also, I have to say it, and it's not overreacting to a loss (although I certainly would be holding this opinion in had we won).

Love is not the guy yet.

Why?

The rest of the league now has an offseason to figure him out. If he is still playing like this at this point next season, then I will be comfortable saying that he is the 3rd QB in a row for us. But year 2 of being a starter was always the last hurdle he had to clear.

And boy did he fall apart in the 4th quarter today. He still obviously has a level of suck in him that can come out, that Rodgers (for all his own faults) simply did not have (Favre had some suck in him but it was a different kind of suck than Love).

I would feel comfortable giving him the extension though, easily. He easily earned it and was one of the top QBs in the league in the 2nd half of the season. When we began the year, there was a distinct possibility it could have gone a lot worse than it did and he exceeded all expectations.
I agree about pumping the breaks and see how Love is doing after year 2...but he's been pretty darn good with a young group. Every QB goes through tough stretches, 3 drives at the end of the game is just a reminder he is human

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

TheGreenMan wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:02
texas wrote:
20 Jan 2024 22:48

Jordan Love is about on the same spectrum as early Rodgers years. He had 50 attempts this year. More than Purdy.

I guess if you want to compare to guys like Allen and Jackson.... Well, sure, but I think those two are different breeds of QB's when talking about rushing abilities.
I think it's the mindset more than anything. One thing that really irked me was how Rodgers could have run it in for a TD against TB late in the game in 2020 and instead threw incomplete to Davante, and I saw the same thing from Love today. If it's the 4th quarter of a playoff game and it's 3rd down and you can pick it up with your feet, just do it.

I love that we don't run it in the regular season, but it's a pretty significant weapon for the arsenal and you don't want to go into the playoffs with one hand tied behind your back because you refuse to pick up easy first downs with your legs.

And like I said, every other good QB does it. Purdy is the perfect example. Purdy may have run less that Love in the regular season but guess which QB had more runs in crunch time of our playoff game? And how did that run and lack of runs work out?

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:07
texas wrote:

Love is not the guy yet.

Why?

I agree about pumping the breaks and see how Love is doing after year 2...but he's been pretty darn good with a young group. Every QB goes through tough stretches, 3 drives at the end of the game is just a reminder he is human
Yeah, it's not the 4th quarter of the game that makes me pump the brakes, I would have had this opinion even if we had won the Super Bowl because I have seen it with other QBs.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

texas wrote:

Love is not the guy yet.

Why?

Rodgers' suck was opposite of normal in that he got too conservative at times. Like the 2014 season-opener against Seattle where he refused to throw toward Richard Sherman's side.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Jordan Love better be team friendly this May.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

2 passes that happened to be INTs that everyone is bitching about. Love was good. Love was not clutch.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:13
He will be too 3 if not break the record for pay.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:11
texas wrote:

Love is not the guy yet.

Why?

Rodgers' suck was opposite of normal in that he got too conservative at times. Like the 2014 season-opener against Seattle where he refused to throw toward Richard Sherman's side.
Yeah, I guess it is a matter of definitions, because I don't really consider that to be suck in the same way that I would consider Favre's propensity to get out of control and throw interceptions or Love's tendency at times this year to make boneheaded or terribly inaccurate throws. But overall, Rodgers' achilles heel may wind up being more costly than Love's because yeah, he would go into a shell and completely lose all momentum.

Like if Rodgers were our QB tonight, we're probably down 21-3 at halftime after taking at least 3 coverage sacks to end drives. Love doesn't do that. He instead just chucks the ball into tight coverage on a low-percentage throw on 2nd down or underthrows or overthrows a guy by 5-10 feet. Which suck is worse? Time will tell.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:10
kampmanfan4life wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:07
texas wrote:

Love is not the guy yet.

Why?

Yeah, it's not the 4th quarter of the game that makes me pump the brakes, I would have had this opinion even if we had won the Super Bowl because I have seen it with other QBs.
I thought it was your buddy that told you what to think :lol:

Love played tight as a banjo string all night, so did Purdy, both where late on route reads, when ya see receivers in wide open spaces finally get the ball thrown to them ya know what I just said is true, and that happened plenty with both QB's specially in the first half, when ya see low scoring it's not just because the defenses are good.

Big stage for both of these QB's.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Jan 2024 01:14
go pak go wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:13
He will be too 3 if not break the record for pay.
I think you're right.

We can make a window 2024 - 2026 but then start the slow and gradual decline like the Chiefs are seeing.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:36
2 passes that happened to be INTs that everyone is bitching about. Love was good. Love was not clutch.
Agreed. Thought Love pretty a great game until the 4th quarter.
Yoop wrote: