Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

go pak go wrote:
19 Jan 2024 19:25
wallyuwl wrote:
19 Jan 2024 17:15
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
19 Jan 2024 12:35
What went wrong is the internet killed print media. And what's the point of the swimsuit issue when there are terabytes (petabytes?) of free, uh, naughty images?

Martha Stewart is hot
Naughty images were online, for free, in the 90s. For a very long time the swimsuit issue's profits supported the rest of the magazine. Then SI put fat women in the issue. Then SI put a dude and Martha Stewart on the cover in recent tears. The men that supported the swimsuit issue, which supported the magazine in general, stopped supporting the swimsuit issue when SI put fat women, chicks with d***s, and senior citizens in it/on the cover instead of Kate Upton and similar.
Yeah. There was Internet but the Internet was pretty aracaic until even the late 2000's. Speed. Photo and video quality, etc. were all pretty bad until 2007 and beyond.

And that coincidentally is also when you started to see the slow decline and mergers/acquisitions of hundreds of published media companies.
I had a friend who had a friend that worked at Vivid Video and gave us free passwords. Streaming quality was pretty good by 2000 with cable internet :)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

musclestang wrote:
19 Jan 2024 20:34
go pak go wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Naughty images were online, for free, in the 90s. For a very long time the swimsuit issue's profits supported the rest of the magazine. Then SI put fat women in the issue. Then SI put a dude and Martha Stewart on the cover in recent tears. The men that supported the swimsuit issue, which supported the magazine in general, stopped supporting the swimsuit issue when SI put fat women, chicks with d***s, and senior citizens in it/on the cover instead of Kate Upton and similar.
Yeah. There was Internet but the Internet was pretty aracaic until even the late 2000's. Speed. Photo and video quality, etc. were all pretty bad until 2007 and beyond.

And that coincidentally is also when you started to see the slow decline and mergers/acquisitions of hundreds of published media companies.
I had a friend who had a friend that worked at Vivid Video and gave us free passwords. Streaming quality was pretty good by 2000 with cable internet :)
Yup. And Youtube wasn't even a thing until late 2005. Didn't become much relevant until late 2006/early 2007.

The Internet back then was basically print articles. The only wayt to get any news was from articles on Packers.com or Packersnews.com or JSOonline.

It's just a completely different world. Twitter. Youtube. Live Streaming. Podcasts....it just changed it all.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

ESPN had some message boards that were pretty crazy for a while. Still remember some of those characters

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

musclestang wrote:
19 Jan 2024 20:34
go pak go wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Almost no one had cable internet in 2000 and streaming was not really a thing. Broadband was not wide spread until 2005. File sharing was the ticket in the early 2000s. In the late 90s dialup was usually your only option and you would be loading pictures in the 10s of seconds.

And to reiterate how silly the OP was, the gripes didn't start happening until 3-4 years ago. Print media has been declining for 2 decades.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Considering I never had internet in my residence until 1999, I never knew I was ahead of the curve in 2000 with cable. All my friends had it too. I probably downloaded 5000 songs that year in Napster lol.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I was in high school on 1998 and 2000. In 1998 about half my friends had cable internet. 70-80% by 2000. My dorm room in 2001, built in the 50s, had high speed internet. Streaming not existing until 2005? :lol:

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

musclestang wrote:
19 Jan 2024 22:29
Considering I never had internet in my residence until 1999, I never knew I was ahead of the curve in 2000 with cable. All my friends had it too. I probably downloaded 5000 songs that year in Napster lol.
I think 1999 was about the time I got cable internet. I remember quite fondly as I got into online gaming for quite a few years. OH yes and of course downloading music. I was all of 29 y/o. Randy Moss was kicking ass with the vikings and the Packers were in the midst of a downturn in success with Holmgren long gone and Favre up to his old antics of throwing picks. :lol: I think thats what was going on anyway :dunno:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Some of you were so lucky. We got dial-up in 1998, then around 2009 we got wireless 3G from Verizon, but that was very unreliable. If I wanted to download something, I had to do it at school/work and put it on a flash drive. I didn't have DSL until 2015-ish.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Got internet in 2001, and it really wasn't a newer area. Was about 13,000 people.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
19 Jan 2024 23:38
Some of you were so lucky. We got dial-up in 1998, then around 2009 we got wireless 3G from Verizon, but that was very unreliable. If I wanted to download something, I had to do it at school/work and put it on a flash drive. I didn't have DSL until 2015-ish.
Broadband cable wasn't even really introduced to the public until the mid-90s. Looks like we have a few look folks who were early adopters. Dial-up ruled the roost well into the 2000s. As I said, streaming didn't really exist at the turn of the century and it was file sharing that was the main portal for sharing media. I worked IT on campus from 2000-2005. Those first few years were crazy and campus just got broadband and virus protection wasn't adopted by the vast majority of users yet.

Back to the OP, it was not the choices of Sports Illustrated from 2020 on that doomed them.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Speaking of News Around The League (although we do need a thread for this year :) )

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Half Empty wrote:
20 Jan 2024 08:01
Speaking of News Around The League (although we do need a thread for this year :) )
Not until February, we won't ;)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Jan 2024 07:47
Back to the OP, it was not the choices of Sports Illustrated from 2020 on that doomed them.
Exactly.

A bohemeth like Sports Illustrated has plenty of finanical and intangible equity to die a slow death. The Internet is truly what killed them just as it killing conventional sports media outlets like ESPN.

The narrative of "woke media" killing SI and ESPN is simply a convenient narrative and that is it. The real root was a disruptive technology that put these business models in the past and irrelevant. Publish media and National sports media just doesn't have the impact it once had. New travels too fast. And low-budget but high quality business models have overtaken the old model.

Why would I wait on "who's hot and who's not" from Sports Illustrated when I can that information 4 weeks earlier? Why would I listen to Dan Patrick talk a little bit about everything when I can instead listen to Andy Herman or Mike Wahle talk specifically what I want in detail?

Why would I go to Mie and Mike in the morning for entertainment on a broad brush of sports when I can watch Aaron Nagler and Corey Bankey be silly over a topic I really care about instead?

It's a new world. The error that the giant media companies are making is they aren't turning the page fast enough. It's ridiculous that I still have to watch a clueless and careless JImmy Johnson, Howie Long and Terry Bradshaw give such little input or insight about a game at halftime. We can get better and we therefore get better and these giant media outlets are too top heavy to adjust.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
20 Jan 2024 08:31
Pckfn23 wrote:
Exactly.

A bohemeth like Sports Illustrated has plenty of finanical and intangible equity to die a slow death. The Internet is truly what killed them just as it killing conventional sports media outlets like ESPN.

The narrative of "woke media" killing SI and ESPN is simply a convenient narrative and that is it. The real root was a disruptive technology that put these business models in the past and irrelevant. Publish media and National sports media just doesn't have the impact it once had. New travels too fast. And low-budget but high quality business models have overtaken the old model.

Why would I wait on "who's hot and who's not" from Sports Illustrated when I can that information 4 weeks earlier? Why would I listen to Dan Patrick talk a little bit about everything when I can instead listen to Andy Herman or Mike Wahle talk specifically what I want in detail?

Why would I go to Mie and Mike in the morning for entertainment on a broad brush of sports when I can watch Aaron Nagler and Corey Bankey be silly over a topic I really care about instead?

It's a new world. The error that the giant media companies are making is they aren't turning the page fast enough. It's ridiculous that I still have to watch a clueless and careless JImmy Johnson, Howie Long and Terry Bradshaw give such little input or insight about a game at halftime. We can get better and we therefore get better and these giant media outlets are too top heavy to adjust.
I would wait for Dan Patrick over blogger Andy. Andy is a clown.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Jan 2024 08:33
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Exactly.

I know. You love to mention that every time the word Andy is written on this forum.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'd guess most of rural America is still dial up or Satellite which is slower then broad band, at least that was my experience, didn't have cable/broadband till 3 years ago after selling my house and renting closer to town, dialup compared to broadband is like a tortious to a hare, the turtle speed dial up was slow but dependable, while cable is fast but more troublesome, my spectrum cable is better now, but I had lots of problems my first year here, love the speed of broadband though, pages load as soon as ya click them.

I remember getting into fights at Julieville ( PG forum) and my dial up was so slow we had to postpone the fight till the next day :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Exactly.

thats SUPER blogger, come on, show the guy some respect :lol: I enjoy Andy Herman, right or wrong the guy is a class act.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Exactly.

not everyone is polarized or have as narrow interest, plenty of people want to know a little about a more varied subject base, thats why people buy newspapers and magazines, imo it's not so much the speed of the news, but rather the depth and girth of it, I much rather enjoy reading a paper, then reading a monitor, but my local paper uses mail delivery service now, mostly because of lack of drivers and escalating cost of delivery, which I expect is another reason for SI closing the doors, delivery fee's have jacked the price of everything up. jmo

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Exactly.

Lol why do you hate the poor guy? Just feels like a lot of vitriol for a rather milquetoast personality
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I agree with [mention]go pak go[/mention] on the broad strokes of the dying media model coming at the expense of the internet, but slowly...

but you cannot describe/explain the consolidation and then death of major media outlets from print to TV to what have you without including private equity's impact. The model where a big private equity firm buys an asset, strips it down, and then keeps it running on fumes is a model with a long track record of creating eroding businesses rather than ones that grow or stand pat.

This isn't woke or left or right. It's outlined very well by two right-wing populists Oren Cass and Sohrab Ahmari... while garnering praise from mainstream liberal outlets and even communist publication Jacobin. When you get agreement along that wide a spectrum, you're just reporting facts. The private equity business model is a death knell, not a savior, when a major company hits a rut and starts looking for an influx of money to move forward.

That's what happened to Sports Illustrated. They leaned on private equity money when they needed an influx and it did to them what it does.