Great Season! Greater next year!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Jan 2024 15:46
go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 10:22
Dillon converting a 4th and 1.
He didn't need to. Just putting him in the backfield would have made the QB sneak work.
Remember when Ditka would put The Fridge in the backfield on short yardage? Why the hell doesn't Gutey and LaCoach put their heads together and find another Fridge. Maybe Slaton or Wyatt? Duh! :thwap:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
22 Jan 2024 18:36
TheSkeptic wrote:
go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 10:22
Dillon converting a 4th and 1.
He didn't need to. Just putting him in the backfield would have made the QB sneak work.
Remember when Ditka would put The Fridge in the backfield on short yardage? Why the hell doesn't Gutey and LaCoach put their heads together and find another Fridge. Maybe Slaton or Wyatt? Duh! :thwap:
I think nowadays the 1 yard pushes are more about the O-line than the RB, but I always wondered what would happen if you signed some specialty athletic freaks for singular plays, like a sumo wrestler for short yardage or a 7-foot guy to just walk forward a few feet, turn around, and easily catch a ball that the QB lobs really high but really short (obviously would need to be more thought out than this due the DBs just jamming him at the line, but you get the idea).

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Campbell’s skills have eroded every year and he copped an attitude this year, I’d try to trade him or cut him at an appropriate time.
Love is the answer…

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lulu wrote: Remember losing to Carolina? Holy crap, that was embarrassing.
Actually…uh…no, I don’t. :dunno:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

texas wrote:
22 Jan 2024 19:04
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

I think nowadays the 1 yard pushes are more about the O-line than the RB, but I always wondered what would happen if you signed some specialty athletic freaks for singular plays, like a sumo wrestler for short yardage or a 7-foot guy to just walk forward a few feet, turn around, and easily catch a ball that the QB lobs really high but really short (obviously would need to be more thought out than this due the DBs just jamming him at the line, but you get the idea).
Caleb Jones says hi!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lulu wrote:
22 Jan 2024 17:18
Hell of a year. Like many, I was absolutely disgusted with this team mid-way through the year. Nothing was working on offense, defense or special teams. Remember losing to Carolina? Holy crap, that was embarrassing. I'm not sure what happened after that, but it sure started to click.

The one and only thing I wanted out of this season was to definitively know if Love was the guy or not. I would have been mildly ok if he turned out to be the next Zac Wilson. At least we'd know and could move on. We have our guy for the next decade, plus.

Some defensive upgrades in the middle (LB) and secondary (S/CB), 3-4 quality additions to the offensive line (need better back-ups and create competition), draft Aaron Jones' eventual replacement and get a real kicker and we're off to the races. We should have some cap space to make some reasonable moves as well, which we haven't been able to do in some time.

Oh, and a new DC.
Generally I agree. Love is already a super star. Favre said Love can be the Packers' GOAT.

A swing tackle that can play is necessary and his name cannot be Nijman as Nijman is not NFL quality even for a backup. If JRJ can be resigned at a reasonable price, he can back up both guards and center and be servicable at all 3.

We have a real kicker but he is a rookie. We also have a long snapper who definitely needs upgrading. You can't expect a rookie kicker to be great if the snap is consistently bad. There is only so much that the holder can do.

The Packers need to draft a RB in the second day regardless of whether Dillon is resigned.

The largest problem is safety. Draft 2, one with the 1st round pick and another later. And maybe a 3rd as an UDFA.

Cap space depends on whether Bakh. I am not an expert on this but it appears that they save 20 million and have a dead cap of 19 million if they cut him. Considering that his replacement probably is better than he would be after a year of playing only golf, I'd cut him. $20 mill brings in (or keeps)
a very good FA or 2 normal starters.

So Round #1, the best available Safety or a swing OT
Round 2, whatever is not Round #1 plus a ILB or a slot CB or a second safety
Round 3, an ILB and a RB or a slot corner
Rounds 4 or 5 - an Olineman
Unless someone Gute really likes really drops and that can be anywhere in the top 3 rounds.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

salmar80 wrote:
23 Jan 2024 05:45
texas wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Caleb Jones says hi!
Jones is a free agent. He won't return. Plus he is not an athlete and would probably fumble. The ideal would have been Dillon but maybe Wilson or Kraft and let them take the snap as wildcat. It would be funny as hell if whoever would complete a 5 yard pass with YAC to Love and Love scores a TD

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic wrote:
23 Jan 2024 08:01
Jones is a free agent. He won't return. Plus he is not an athlete and would probably fumble. The ideal would have been Dillon but maybe Wilson or Kraft and let them take the snap as wildcat. It would be funny as hell if whoever would complete a 5 yard pass with YAC to Love and Love scores a TD
Jones is an exclusive rights free agent. He will definitely be back. We're trying to develop him into a swing OT, but that is not a reason not to continue to add bodies and upgrade. He was a healthy scratch all season (much like the early developmental years of Nijmen). We don't want to rely on him, but it would be fun if he pops.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

salmar80 wrote:
23 Jan 2024 05:45
texas wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Caleb Jones says hi!
Maybe if we play him at WR

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Caleb Jones is 100% back next year and I can see the team trying to make him their next swing tackle. I think you can get by with him in that role as long as you dont have any season enders at OT.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

APB wrote:
22 Jan 2024 22:27
lulu wrote: Remember losing to Carolina? Holy crap, that was embarrassing.
Actually…uh…no, I don’t. :dunno:
In the figurative sense, I should say. The lowest point of the season, IMO.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Did Jaire post a farewell message? Wouldn't he have to be traded?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Foosball wrote:
22 Jan 2024 19:44
Campbell’s skills have eroded every year and he copped an attitude this year, I’d try to trade him or cut him at an appropriate time.
What about this, was Dre hampered too much by injury all season long? If so, he could legit come back and play very well in 2024. I don't know either way. But I wouldn't write him off just yet.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

packman114 wrote:
23 Jan 2024 19:50
It sure comes off that way. “Thank you God. Thank you Lambeau, for 6 years…”

It could be just him posting but you would think he ends that to looking forward to many more or something like that.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Jan 2024 20:52
packman114 wrote:
23 Jan 2024 19:50
It sure comes off that way. “Thank you God. Thank you Lambeau, for 6 years…”

It could be just him posting but you would think he ends that to looking forward to many more or something like that.
I’m not big on following celebrities on social media but I did read somewhere that the part of the msg you quoted here was only partial context and that his entire msg did not portray the “parting vibe” many are painting it as.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

saw this at Bleacher report, a bastion for factual reporting :rotf:

One could ascertain that the 26-year-old may be preparing to say goodbye to Green Bay for good.

Alexander is playing on a four-year, $84 million extension ($30 million signing bonus) that runs through 2026, per Over the Cap. He is due an $8 million roster bonus if he's on the roster on March 20, per ESPN's Adam Schefter. That appears to be a sticking point as far as whether or not the Packers could look to move on, per Schefter on Dec. 30:

"...[His] $8 million bonus now is expected to become the trigger point that likely will lead the Packers into a decision on whether to they want to keep Alexander or move on from him. Should they keep him, the Packers simply would pick up the option bonus, but Green Bay also could explore a trade."

Alexander, who just finished his sixth NFL season, is a two-time Pro Bowler and a two-time second-team All-Pro player. At his best, he's one of the NFL's most talented and clutch defensive backs. He notably picked off two passes in the 2020 NFC Championship Game, albeit in a loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

On the flip side, it's possible the Packers may move on from a player due tens of millions if he stays aboard. He only played four games in 2021 and seven in 2023 primarily due to injuries. He was also suspended for one game after making himself a captain and participating in the coin flip prior to Green Bay's 33-30 overtime win over the Carolina Panthers on Dec. 24.

Releasing the Louisville product isn't a feasible option, considering that would result in the Packers absorbing $27,456,000 in dead cap money, per Over the Cap. The question is whether they pursue a trade for the star, who could have well played his last game in Green Bay.

At the moment, though, Alexander remains a member of the Packers, who just finished their season after a great playoff run ended in the divisional round to the San Francisco 49ers.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Releasing him would cost and extra $3.5 million against the again in addition to his $27.5 million.

It's Jaire being Jaire. He already deleted the post.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

He probably just feels hes good enough to man up the opponents best receiver week in and week out. Is he right? I think probably so, but he did have a down year so :idn:

But he probably wants to do that, and then being asked to just cover a zone feels belittling to him or boring.

It will probably work out with him coming back, but I dont know why you would pay a man top dollar to cover one zone.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I wouldn’t despise the idea of moving on from Jaire.

Assuming we get like near top 12-15 pick value in return.

Lose a bit of cap this year, but then get to take like $55M off the ‘25+ caps.

Been signed up a lot, been a problem, maybe not locker room, but full team chemistry.

Move would be a bout a push for me if we get like pick 12, or a 22 and a 2nd, or something like that. But would definitely make us worse in 2024. Unless we get like a Sauce Gardner caliber rookie to replace him.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Jan 2024 16:50
I can't put my thoughts together yet. Better for now to say that the 2023 Packers overcame and realized how good then can be. And maybe 2024 will be better. We certainly think so!
The core of this young team believes they are going to be great. Early Favre was the same way (early Rodgers to a degree, but not as strongly).