Packers DC Search

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

I'll keep resetting poll as we interview more.

Brandon Staley
8%
Bobby Babich
8%
Aden Durde
No votes
Christian Parker
8%
Chris Harris
17%
Zach Orr
8%
Denard Wilson
50%

Total votes: 12

BF004
Reactions:

Packers DC Search

Post by BF004 »

I’ll try to add a poll once we narrow it down some. About 20 guys I could put up there and would still be a fair chance we don’t pick from that list.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://atozsports.com/green-bay/packer ... joe-barry/
The Green Bay Packers decided to move on from defensive coordinator Joe Barry. Now, Matt LaFleur has to start a new process to choose his third DC since he took over as the Packers head coach in 2019. Check out potential options.

Brandon Staley
, former Los Angeles Chargers head coach
The Packers might want to change schemes, but if LaFleur's desire is an upgrade with continuity, Staley is the obvious answer.

Mike Vrable, former Tennessee Titans head coach
Vrable is still a top HC option after being surprisingly fired. But if he doesn't get a top job, he would make a lot of sense for the Packers. LaFleur worked under Vrable as the Titans offensive coordinator in 2018.

Leslie Frazier, former Minnesota Vikings head coach
Frazier was let go by Sean McDermott in Buffalo, but he is still an intriguing defensive mind. He has had several head coaching interviews, but it's not looking like he will get a top job.

Mike Zimmer, former Minnesota Vikings head coach
Zimmer is a controversial figure around Green Bay, but he's undoubtedly a brilliant defensive mind. In Minnesota, he took the most out of his players consistently.

Ejiro Evero, Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator
The Packers considered Evero in 2021, but went with Barry. It was a mistake. Evero's future in Carolina is uncertain, so it's something to keep an eye on — if he doesn't get a HC job.

Chris Harris, Tennessee Titans pass-game coordinator/cornerbacks coach
According to Albert Breer, this is a name to be aware of. The Packers liked him in 2021, when he was the Washington Commanders' defensive backs coach. Last offsseason, he was hired by Mike Vrable to be the Titans' defensive pass-game coordinator and cornerbacks coach.

Jim Leonhard, Illinois senior football analyst
In 2021, Matt LaFleur offered the job to Leonhard, who decided to stay with the Wisconsin Badgers. Now, he's at a lower job at Illinois, so it's a different circumstance.

Patrick Graham, Las Vegas Raiders defensive coordinator
Graham worked under Mike Pettine in Green Bay as linebackers coach and run game coordinator in 2018. Since then, he's been a DC for the Miami Dolphins, New York Giants, and has been with the Las Vegas Raiders since 2022. They finished the season 8th in defensive DVOA. With a new coaching staff in Las Vegas under Antonio Pierce, Graham might become available.

Anthony Weaver, Baltimore Ravens associate head coach/defensive line coach
Weaver has had head coaching interviews and is valued because of his leadership skills. He is experienced as a position coach and had a one-year stint as a DC for the Houston Texans in 2020 under Bill O'Brien.

Chris Hewitt
, Baltimore Ravens pass-game coordinator/secondary coach
Mike MacDonald is a hot name because of his defensive ingenuity, and Jamaican coach Chris Hewitt has been an important part of the Ravens coaching structure for over a decade.

Al Harris, Dallas Cowboys defensive backs coach
Another former Packers player, Harris coaches an aggressive and ball-hawking secondary under Dan Quinn and Mike McCarthy in Dallas.

Eric Henderson, Los Angeles Rams defensive line coach/run game coordinator
Each year, Henderson has gotten more attention. Obviously, Aaron Donald helps his cause, but the Rams' system stresses the line and he's gotten solid results.

Johnny Holland, San Francisco 49ers linebackers coach
The 49ers' scheme prioritized the front seven, and Holland's solid job to develop linebackers has been imperative. Look at how well former Packers Oren Burks has played in San Francisco. Holland played for the Packers between 1987 and 1993 and started his coaching career in Green Bay in the 1990s.

Aubrey Pleasant, Los Angeles Rams defensive backs coach/passing game coordinator
Pleasant worked one and a half months for the Packers last season as an offensive assistant after being fired mid-season by the Lions. With the Rams, though, he's done a great job with a young personnel.

Phil Snow, Chicago Bears senior defensive analyst
Snow was a college coordinator and followed Matt Rhule to the NFL, working for the Carolina Panthers during three seasons with a decent performance. In 2023, he was hired mid-season by the Bears and helped Matt Eberflus to get the unit back on track.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/13- ... arry-fired

From last month.

Ejiro Evero, defensive coordinator, Carolina Panthers

Jim Leonhard, former defensive coordinator, Wisconsin Badgers

Don “Wink” Martindale, defensive coordinator, New York Giants

Joe Whitt, secondary/defensive passing-game coordinator, Dallas Cowboys

Al Harris, defensive backs coach, Dallas Cowboys

Daniel Bullocks, defensive backs coach, San Francisco 49ers

Kelvin Sheppard, linebackers coach, Detroit Lions

Antonio Pierce, interim head coach, Las Vegas Raiders

Patrick Graham, defensive coordinator, Las Vegas Raiders

Anthony Campanile, linebackers coach, Miami Dolphins

Chris Harris, defensive passing-game coordinator, Titans

Aubrey Pleasant, defensive passing-game coordinator, Rams

Joe Cullen, defensive line coach, Chiefs
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Johnny Holland would be a fun name. Would us hiring him result in SF getting compensatory picks? Or is that just for HC's and GM's?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Zimmer is among my top choices of the realistic options. Lots of super intriguing candidates on there, though. Leonhard still makes a lot of sense.

Some have Dave Aranda on their radar, thinking he may be a better fit as an NFL coach than college coach: great football mind, not a great recruiter.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Mike Zimmer for me

unless Pete Carroll, Vrable, Selah, or Belichik dont end up with jobs.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Labrev wrote:
24 Jan 2024 09:40
Zimmer is among my top choices of the realistic options. Lots of super intriguing candidates on there, though. Leonhard still makes a lot of sense.

Some have Dave Aranda on their radar, thinking he may be a better fit as an NFL coach than college coach: great football mind, not a great recruiter.
Yeah, off the top of my head Zimmer, Leonard, maybe Evero, maybe Staley

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Where did Zimmer learn his defense? Is he a disciple of someone or is he like Fangio and created his own?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

As far as some schematic changes we want to see, like moving from zone to man... I want our EDGE guys to play with their hand in the dirt. Gary, LVN, Smith (yes, I would bring him back) are all guys who look better when they play that way. They are DEs, not OLBs.
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jan 2024 10:19
tends to make me think he may go with a different scheme approach, anti Fangio zones, more attack versus react, to me offenses are just getting to good at mistake free football and thats why old Vic's schemes are in decline.

Bring in a attacking style DC, someone from Baltimore still tops my list.

thanks to you and 23 for bringing that list back up :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jan 2024 10:20
wow, has any DC taken a demotion before, why would Joe do this, he's getting 4 mil. compensation to look for a new job elsewhere, if he stays and this defense improves he gets more egg, if it fails he's gonna get blamed. :idn:

this seems like stick em rumor. click bait

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Oh thank gawd, Staley is only candidate I have heard of who I would not like; everyone else sounds good or at least interesting.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
24 Jan 2024 10:28
BF004 wrote:
wow, has any DC taken a demotion before, why would Joe do this, he's getting 4 mil. compensation to look for a new job elsewhere, if he stays and this defense improves he gets more egg, if it fails he's gonna get blamed. :idn:

Coordinators and HC's take demotions all the time. It happens all the time.

It sounds like Barry really likes GB. It also sounds like the players and organizations really like Joe Barry. So this could be a great move to move him to a positional coach who is focused on teaching rather than scheming.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jan 2024 10:41
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Not within the same organization.

And everyone just gotta chill on their ridiculous immediate conclusions (not you gpg, and not just this topic), but we have no idea if this is true, if it happens, and in what capacity.

To me, it makes zero sense for Barry or the Packers to have him be ILB coach. That doesn't happen, makes the job a little less appealing for any DC candidate, etc. etc.

If it would happen, I would expect it to be like a senior consultant type roll. Who knows, maybe Matt just loves some aspect of what he does, scouting, film review (prior week packers or upcoming opponents), weekly game plan preparation, and he can continue to assist where Matt thinks he'd be very valuable.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Just an FYI, the Jets played the most man coverage in 2023, around 42% of the time. The next highest is 36%, several teams around there. Packers played man around 17% of the time last year.

Yes, we need to play more man, but do realize that we will still be playing mostly zone.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

It sounds like Barry really likes GB. It also sounds like the players and organizations really like Joe Barry. So this could be a great move to move him to a positional coach who is focused on teaching rather than scheming.
I think he can probably even scheme, just goes passive at the wrong times so to speak.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

no they don't, not for the same team they don't, I can't remember any cord taking a demotion and remaining a coach for that same team
Does Barry live in GB in the off season? I liked Aztec NM, I liked ST Charles IL. just because a person likes a locality doesn't mean they want to make that place there home :thwap:

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Not necessarily his choice in staying or not. If he is still under contract the Packers can hold him to it, just reassign duties.