2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Gutey is going young and they have limited cap space so Hyde is not coming back (TT should have never let him go). Gutey is setting up this team so it’ll be in its prime in the coming years.

He’ll want to resign Nixon; a great returner and a decent slot corner and maybe bring back Ford for a backup if he is cheap.

I like Owen’s wife but I’m not sure he will be back with the team.

Hopefully Savage is gone. I’ll be pissed if they resign him. He can’t cover TEs or tackle. I’ve watched him blow coverages and miss tackles for 5 years. The D often seemed to do better when he was out hurt.

Starting safety needs to be addressed early in the draft and the another S in the 4th or 5th.

I get the whole RAS stuff, but a great athlete doesn’t always translate into a great football player. Please draft players who are good athletes but also love the game and can tackle and catch the ball. If you can get both even better.
Love is the answer…

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]Foosball[/mention] so basically draft an All-Pro, please?! ;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Jan 2024 19:30
@Foosball so basically draft an All-Pro, please?! ;)
…or two…
Love is the answer…

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Foosball wrote:
22 Jan 2024 19:33
Pckfn23 wrote:
…or two…
Yeah I've always said it's better to draft a good player than a bad player.

Wish GMs would listen to my advice. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 19:38
Foosball wrote:
22 Jan 2024 19:33
Pckfn23 wrote:
…or two…
Yeah I've always said it's better to draft a good player than a bad player.

Wish GMs would listen to my advice. :lol:
I don’t think we’re asking too much are we? But seriously I think Gutey puts a little too much weight on a draft pick’s RAS.
Love is the answer…

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

On this specific case, I’m with [mention]Foosball[/mention] on this one.

Our DBs are athletic marvels with limited football iq (besides Jaire and besides the now-departed Rasul)

I like the “draft athletes” model. But right now, I want to scale back on those metrics in favor of football IQ. For safeties, ILBs, and nickel corners in particular, I’m looking for the instincts and physicality.

But also like foosball, I say all that with the added request that can you please do that without totally sacrificing the athleticism and RAS?? Thanks.

(Two all-pros please)

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I’m seeing some buzz for S Kamren Kinchens out of Miami.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
22 Jan 2024 22:32
I’m seeing some buzz for S Kamren Kinchens out of Miami.

Looked at him a bit yesterday. Could be a target at the end of the 1st. Doesn't sound like safety is overly deep in this draft, but a few names to look out for.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Things I like about Kinchens is he is a playmaker and goes for the ball (maybe a bit too much at times)

He also likes to bring wood when he hits. He is an aggressive player and I think would do well in our defense simply by his attitude. We keep saying we want dawgs...this guy looks like a dawg to me.

Also have heard reports he is your type of safety that can play single high. We haven't had a guy like that in a long time (since Collins). I was hoping Savage could be it due to his speed but just doesn't seem he has the instincts to do it. So yes.

He is in on my short list for sure. Current range I hearing is he could go as high as Pick 20 and likely the first safety off the board.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Anxiously awaiting Daniel Jeremiah's Top 50, not out yet, but he's given us a mock draft.

He has us taking Cody Barton - OL, Duke... over DeJean, McKinstry, and Wiggins.

I'm not sure if that's the best move we can make with what's on the board, but reading the player's draft profile, I also kinda... don't hate it. He sounds like Elgton Jenkins 2.0. I would love one more quality IOL, especially with both C and G ability.

Zerlein:
HEIGHT 6’ 5’’ | WEIGHT 314 lbs

NFL Comparison
Cody Whitehair

Overview
Reviewing Barton’s tape is a pleasurable experience in offensive line evaluation, as his tenacity and know-how are on full display throughout. Though he played at a high level at left tackle, center will likely be his NFL home. Barton is an explosive drive blocker with the body control and leg drive to keep opponents centered and finish the job. His hands are sudden, accurate and strong in both phases, but a lack of length will create occasional challenges on the next level. His fluidity creates an advantage as a second-level climber, and he’s highly capable in the screen game. Barton’s technique, toughness and athleticism are exactly what teams will be looking for from an early starter with Pro Bowl potential.

Strengths
  • Possesses the bend, core strength and technique of an NFL starter.
  • Patient but firm, exploding into the block and running his feet to secure.
  • Fits and finishes blocks with excellent body control and very strong claws.
  • Smooth climber with good adjustments to targets in space.
  • Pass sets are clean with broad base and twitchy hands.
  • Counters rush movements with well-postured mirror and sticky hands.
  • Arches back and unlocks lowers, creating flexion and leverage with pass anchor.
  • Once he’s settled into defenders in run/pass, he’s usually the winner.
Weaknesses
  • Arms are shorter than NFL standard for his position.
  • Occasional struggles getting into position for redirects when beaten.
  • Needs to guard against lunging as a second-level blocker.
  • Corrals escaping defenders with his arms, which could bring flags.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

1 may sneak into round 1, but my cursory look at them aligns with this.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Listened to the PFF Draft Pod's corner rankings today and I like the idea of this UGA guy (Tykee Smith) as a nickel CB in the 3rd or 4th round

Also confirmed my like for TJ Tampa.

Int he first, I think we're out of range for Dejean and Kool-Aid, but those would be my guys.

I'm shying away from dudes that are too skinny/small (because we need better tackling from the secondary than we've gotten and Jaire's shoulder injury has scared me) and guys that are more athletes than football IQ players at this point in their development, even if they have high ceilings (so the other 'Bama guy (Arnold, more athlete than football IQ), the Toledo guy (Quinyon Mitchell, only plays off coverage and hasn't developed the instincts for trail technique), and Wiggins (so so skinny) are lower for me even though they're all high-level prospects.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I like Barton. I don’t love him in the 1st. I don’t view him like a top tier interior player like in past seasons.

As for Kinchens I think he’s the top S off the board unless you consider Dejean a S. I still like Nubin better. I just think Nubin is everything you want from a safety where Kinchens has some Savage in him. He is an athletic marvel but I’m not a fan of his physicality for the position. Nubin will attack in the run game and what he lacks in range he makes up for in IQ.

I want Max Melton badly but I’m worried the team wants to put brothers together. That’s the only explanation to take Amari over Amon Ra.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Jan 2024 18:12
I want Max Melton badly but I’m worried the team wants to put brothers together. That’s the only explanation to take Amari over Amon Ra.
Oh he was another guy I was intrigued by! I didn't realize he was Bo's brother

Nice.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Jan 2024 17:56
Listened to the PFF Draft Pod's corner rankings today and I like the idea of this UGA guy (Tykee Smith) as a nickel CB in the 3rd or 4th round

Also confirmed my like for TJ Tampa.

Int he first, I think we're out of range for Dejean and Kool-Aid, but those would be my guys.

I'm shying away from dudes that are too skinny/small (because we need better tackling from the secondary than we've gotten and Jaire's shoulder injury has scared me) and guys that are more athletes than football IQ players at this point in their development, even if they have high ceilings (so the other 'Bama guy (Arnold, more athlete than football IQ), the Toledo guy (Quinyon Mitchell, only plays off coverage and hasn't developed the instincts for trail technique), and Wiggins (so so skinny) are lower for me even though they're all high-level prospects.
I too really like TJ Tampa. I think he is my favorite CB who will realistically be available to us. I am hopeful he is a 2nd round guy but we will see.

But he's big, brings wood when he hits, has fluid hips, and loves defending the run. That's the type of guy I like. Our defense needs more attitude in the secondary.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 08:53
That is quite a pet peeve of mine as well, haha, especially with how it's said like it's a "duh" thing when it's not.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
25 Jan 2024 09:20
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 08:53
That is quite a pet peeve of mine as well, haha, especially with how it's said like it's a "duh" thing when it's not.
Or the reverse when it's said a guy is a reach.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I rarely spend a lot of time on players I expect to be gone when it's our turn, zero on players I'am sure wont last, and unless we need a QB I never even bother to learn there names, live is short, make the most of it :rotf:

here I'am, it's almost noon, and I still have my PJ's on :rotf:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 09:29
Labrev wrote:
25 Jan 2024 09:20

Or the reverse when it's said a guy is a reach.
For me it’s a contingent pet peeve. First, are they expressing that the consensus opinion currently is that he won’t be there? Then it’s a pet peeve.

Are they stating that in their evaluation, they believe the player will rise and be rated so highly that he won’t be there? Then it’s a valid opinion expression relevant to the conversation and worthy of discussing and refuting (if I disagree)

Which brings me to the final contingency: it only annoys me when I disagree.