Packers DC Search

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

I'll keep resetting poll as we interview more.

Brandon Staley
8%
Bobby Babich
8%
Aden Durde
No votes
Christian Parker
8%
Chris Harris
17%
Zach Orr
8%
Denard Wilson
50%

Total votes: 12

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Jan 2024 18:28
Foosball wrote:
24 Jan 2024 18:15
I copied and pasted my post from another thread

My concern is that LaFleur tends to hire his friends or people he knows above talent and performance. That’s been his pattern with players and coaches.

I understand that he wants someone he can work with and who will be a good fit. People can fool you in interviews. However, the NFL is a small fraternity and LaFleur could ask around about a candidate’s personality. Not a hard task.

I really don’t have a lot of confidence in LaFleur hiring a talented DC. But maybe Matt has grown and learned from his mistakes and will surprise me.
I think that's a bit of a false narrative.

I think I have these facts right, but correct me if I'm wrong.

MLF inherited Pettine. Didn't hire a friend.

He didn't previously know or work with Mo Drayton. Nor did he previously work with Biasciatta.

He wanted the defensive scheme that the Rams had. And Staley had just become a HC and took most of their staff with him.

So yes, he knew and had worked with Barry. But Barry was also one of the very few people available who ran the scheme he liked.

Of course, another was Evo, who got an interview and wasn't hired. So maybe you can say the familiarity was the tie-breaker that led MLF to a worse hire. But one incidence doesn't merit the kind of generalized narrative you're expressing as a trend. Of the coordinator hires he's made outside of offense, Barry is the only one of 3 hires, 4 coordinators (including Pettine)
Nor had he previously worked with Hackett or Steno, before his time in Green Bay.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
24 Jan 2024 18:57
Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Jan 2024 18:33
Nobody would come in on Sunday more prepared than Belicheck. That's for sure. And I even think he would consider the "step down" from GM/HC because he just LIVES for football.
Bill may “live for football” but he’s also chasing Don Shula’s record for most HC wins. Becoming MLFs DC doesn’t get him any closer to catching him.
A pointless endeavor, because Matt Lafleur is just going to crush it anyway. 8-)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
24 Jan 2024 23:18
APB wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
Nobody would come in on Sunday more prepared than Belicheck. That's for sure. And I even think he would consider the "step down" from GM/HC because he just LIVES for football.
Bill may “live for football” but he’s also chasing Don Shula’s record for most HC wins. Becoming MLFs DC doesn’t get him any closer to catching him.
A pointless endeavor, because Matt Lafleur is just going to crush it anyway. 8-)
It is very possible. Find a good safety in this year's draft and the Packers are set for 4 SB's in the next 5 years. Then 2 more in the following 5 years. Then Love is 35, trade him for 2 1sts and a 2nd as the Packers should have traded Rodgers, a 1 or 2 year rebuild and do it again.

If it was just Rodgers who had to sit for a few years, you could assume that he was unusual. But now we have 2 in a row who sat and learned and got coaching to fix their weaknesses and then excelled. Even Favre sat his first season. So it seems that this is the formula. Draft a raw QB late in the first round or in the 2nd, with a good arm and athletic ability, coach him up and start him in his 3rd or 4th year. Rinse and repeat. As opposed to throwing him to the wolves as other teams do, and ruin his confidence while he takes a physical beating.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I don’t think that would have worked out well

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Anyone wanna share their top 5? Or top however many?

1. Evero
2. Belicheck
3. Jim Leonhard
4. Johnny Holland
5. Wink Martindale

My do not list
Ron Rivera
Brandon Staley
Joe Whitt Jr.
Jerry Gray

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Evero staying in CAR, most likely.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 11:50
LIS somewhere else. They just passed him up for interim HC a few months ago. And then they pass him up again as their HC. Looking at that team/owner/franchise. I would refuse to stay there.

Might he stay there? Or be their HC? Or HC in Atlanta? Of course.

But no reason not to include him in my top 5.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 11:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
LIS somewhere else. They just passed him up for interim HC a few months ago. And then they pass him up again as their HC. Looking at that team/owner/franchise. I would refuse to stay there.

Just repeating what Twitter is suspecting.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 25 Jan 2024 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 11:47

1. Evero
2. Belicheck
3. Jim Leonhard
4. Johnny Holland
5. Wink Martindale

My do not list
Ron Rivera
Brandon Staley
Joe Whitt Jr.
Jerry Gray
havn't made a list as yet, your do not want list seems seems pretty close to the 5 I wouldn't want though, might give Jerry Gray a second thought, ehhh, so much that I don't know about these prospects.

I think whomever we can snatch from the Ravens is my top guy, either of Weaver, or Hewitt seem the type I'am after, I have no issue with blitzes and stunts as long as it succeeds, so whomever can disguise that stuff the best gets my vote, Martindale might be to head strong for Lafleur, and he left the Ravens hoping to get a HC gig, wanted Debos job, didn't get it, might not have any interest knowing that Lafleur wont be leaving soon.

more later, busy. :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Zimmer, Hewitt, Leonhard, Evero, and Patrick Graham, with no real order of preference between them.

I will add Chris Harris since I am skeptical if Evero is truly in play.

There are lots of guys that seem like good DC candidates, though, or have something intriguing about them.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 11:47
Mine are going to be more realistic. I don't see Belichick taking a DC position (nor do I think his old, ghoulish persona would mesh well with MLF and/or the young locker room). Same with Vrabel taking a DC position. Just don't see it.

1) Chris Hewitt
2) Anthony Weaver
3) Ejiro Evero
4) Wink Martindale
5) Patrick Graham
6) Johnny Holland
7) Chris Harris

Three of my top four come from the Ravens tree of defensive coaches. They've been doing defense right for so long now I can't help but think they'd be a hit in GB.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 11:53
Pckfn23 wrote:

My question would be though that he is under contract and theyre blocking him interviewing. Is he able to just freely walk away?

My other thing would be if hes spurned by people passing him over why come here? Last shot around we wanted Leonard, didnt get him and went to Barry next. He was essentially passed over twice by us.

He would be my top choice personally. I think theres some value in getting a good DC in here with HC aspirations. Let him develop our own coaching staff. Look at what the 49ers did going from Saleh to Ryan.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Recall Evero declined interim HC in Denver. Does he really want to be one now?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

1) Chris Hewitt
2) Anthony Weaver
3) Joe Whitt
4) Wink Martindale
5) Patrick Graham
6) Johnny Holland

Kind of my list in no particular order.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I would have said no way that Belichick would take a position as DC, but I also would have said no way Brady leaves NE and they steadily deteriorate to the point of being the 3rd worst team in the league, under Belichick.

Stranger things have happened. But yeah, I still don't see him being a DC.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

texas wrote:
25 Jan 2024 14:29
I would have said no way that Belichick would take a position as DC, but I also would have said no way Brady leaves NE and they steadily deteriorate to the point of being the 3rd worst team in the league, under Belichick.

Stranger things have happened. But yeah, I still don't see him being a DC.
He might not have a choice. DC or retire

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

Besides, I don’t know how any staff could absorb a guy like Belichick as an underling. He’s widely considered among the best to ever do it as HC. Expecting the dynamic to just work with whatever staff he would join is a tough ask.
The shadow of Bill would loom large, for sure. That could work for him, or against him. Depends on the setting. And then, would a team interview him for DC, thinking the whole while that he might leave after a year for a HC job?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I like the idea of a young up and comer, but Mike Zimmer is my #1.

Read More. Post Less.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

How easy is it to pull guys out of current contracts? Is Glenn Schumann or another college defensive mind like that in play?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Now that Atlanta went with a defensive HC, I'd be interested to see if Ryan Nielsen shakes free from that job, also. A lateral move for a young guy who got good results from a fine but not impressive roster this year.