Packers DC Search

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

I'll keep resetting poll as we interview more.

Brandon Staley
8%
Bobby Babich
8%
Aden Durde
No votes
Christian Parker
8%
Chris Harris
17%
Zach Orr
8%
Denard Wilson
50%

Total votes: 12

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Bill is gonna sit out a year and wait to pounce on the Cowboys HC gig if McCarthy comes up short again.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Jan 2024 18:48
Now that Atlanta went with a defensive HC, I'd be interested to see if Ryan Nielsen shakes free from that job, also. A lateral move for a young guy who got good results from a fine but not impressive roster this year.
Didn't Nielsen get the Jaguars DC job?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

packman114 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 19:05
YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Jan 2024 18:48
Now that Atlanta went with a defensive HC, I'd be interested to see if Ryan Nielsen shakes free from that job, also. A lateral move for a young guy who got good results from a fine but not impressive roster this year.
Didn't Nielsen get the Jaguars DC job?
Oh I didn’t see that

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
25 Jan 2024 18:49
Bill is gonna sit out a year and wait to pounce on the Cowboys HC gig if McCarthy comes up short again.
Might as well just chill here a year.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Labrev wrote:
You really think Bill is going to want to deal with a meddling owner like Jerry Jones? Seems like a big reason why the operations in New England were so harmonious was because Robert Kraft, for the most part, was smart enough to step back and let Bill be Bill.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

wizard 87
Reactions:

Post by wizard 87 »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 11:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 11:50
Evero staying in CAR, most likely.
LIS somewhere else. They just passed him up for interim HC a few months ago. And then they pass him up again as their HC. Looking at that team/owner/franchise. I would refuse to stay there.

Might he stay there? Or be their HC? Or HC in Atlanta? Of course.

But no reason not to include him in my top 5.
Carolina is blocking him for now from other DC jobs, not a promotion so they don't have to let us talk to him, HC coach jobs yes, DC no.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 19:20
Labrev wrote:
Might as well just chill here a year.
25 mil walk money from Kraft, unless he takes a job, probably why he's not taking any interviews, take a year off and pick a team, he's in high demand, but Bill doesn't come cheap, molla talks, I can't believe what some of these coaches make :thwap:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Blogger Andy’s followers want Leonhard

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 22:24

I am sure they do

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 22:24

Thankfully the mob doesn’t run the Packers.

Nothing against Leonhard, I just don’t think he’s the best candidate for the job.

Not shocking to me the final choice came down to Al Harris vs Jim Leonhard. Seems MLF isn’t the only person in the state of WI hung up on loyalty to a player/coach.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’ve never stopped wanting Leonhard personally.

I would be absolutely thrilled if we got him.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'am flipping back and forth between Wink Martindale and Dominic Capers, they both have great DC names :rotf:

actually I think Wink wants a HC gig, so whomever he brings in may leave with him as soon as a team owner comes calling, not looking forward to a rinse and repeat in a couple season if he's successful, would like to hire a guy that will be around for awhile.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I would be so pumped if our DC got a HC gig in ‘25. Would only mean we had a really great year on D.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
26 Jan 2024 07:45
I'am flipping back and forth between Wink Martindale and Dominic Capers, they both have great DC names :rotf:

actually I think Wink wants a HC gig, so whomever he brings in may leave with him as soon as a team owner comes calling, not looking forward to a rinse and repeat in a couple season if he's successful, would like to hire a guy that will be around for awhile.
The problem with that is success leads to opportunity. The only way you hang onto a coordinator level individual long term is if they’re not overtly successful. We don’t want that, either.

The solution is to hire the best candidate, let him build a competent staff, and if the defense has success and the DC is poached for a HC job then promote one of the on-staff underlings. Rinse, repeat.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Honestly, I think Coordinator positions should always be a 2-4-year revolving-door. After just a few years, your schemes/tendencies get figured out externally and go stale internally, even under good coordinators (and if they're bad, you obviously shouldn't hang onto them).

Get a good coordinator and then work on grooming your assistant coaches to be coordinators themselves, ensure you have quality coaching for a long time while changing things up enough to keep things fresh and unpredictable; SanFran has followed this model to great success.

It is essentially what we do at QB and then wonder why other teams do not get it.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

You want your coaches to be poached and promoted to other teams.

You want to be the team that young aspiring coaches know builds coaching talent and is a great jumping off point. Because it just attracts more young aspiring coaches. Promotion to other teams is a good thing.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

This, plus our loss, plus bucks hiring most overrated coach in history…this is worst week of my life
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

just hoping for a DC that can evolve as offenses evolve, that also takes a GM though that will resupply that cord with players needed for that evolution, imho that takes a coach thats been around for a while, worked in several different schemed systems.

obviously success draws attention, so I agree, if that happens with our defense our DC will probably get poached, as long as a understudy is top notch that should work out fine

what I really hope is Lafleur doesn't just bring in another Fangio clone, which to me Staley is, and guess what, he's here for a interview :thwap:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

So much for that Rob Demovsky report (that Staley isn't in the running). I wouldn't panic just yet because every coaching interview session includes some pretty bad candidates, but given MLF hired Joe Barry last time, it's understandable to be worried haha.

If we hear that like last time he has narrowed it down to a short-list and Staley is still in the running... time to panic.

This does seem to sadly confirm that MLF has not been disillusioned with the "Fangio style" defense he was trying to get from Joe Barry, and makes me a little more inclined to believe the rumor that he was forced into firing Barry more than the one deciding it himself, which I was already more inclined to believe than the official story.

I hope he is similarly forced out of making a bad hire this time.
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
26 Jan 2024 09:51
just hoping for a DC that can evolve as offenses evolve, that also takes a GM though that will resupply that cord with players needed for that evolution, imho that takes a coach thats been around for a while, worked in several different schemed systems.

obviously success draws attention, so I agree, if that happens with our defense our DC will probably get poached, as long as a understudy is top notch that should work out fine

what I really hope is Lafleur doesn't just bring in another Fangio clone, which to me Staley is, and guess what, he's here for a interview :thwap:
All the Shannahan/McVay tree coaches run that scheme. I find it hard to believe Matt goes away from it but I could be wrong. He did apparently want Leonard. I really want a Ravens guy. Inject some of that defensive culture into the building. It doesnt need to be a clone but we need to be more physical and start rallying to the ball. Its been my pet peeve forever watching our defenders go one on one with a ball carrier and the rest of the defense starts to slow down around him just for the tackle to be broken.

Get the $%@# in there and put a hit on the offense. Make them know that if they are going to try an advance the ball or break a tackle theyre going to feel another 5 $%@# bodies on them trying to rip the ball and get them down. $%@#!
Cancelled by the forum elites.