Packers DC Search

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

I'll keep resetting poll as we interview more.

Brandon Staley
8%
Bobby Babich
8%
Aden Durde
No votes
Christian Parker
8%
Chris Harris
17%
Zach Orr
8%
Denard Wilson
50%

Total votes: 12

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TB4 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 11:23
Brandon Staley is also rumored to be interviewing for the Washington Commanders and La Rams Defensive Coordinator position. So he has interest elsewhere, hopefully he will go to obe if those places
So LaFleur, McDaniels and McVay all are interested in Staley.

Interesting.

Feel like it might come up again about Matt hiring his buddies, but LaFleur and Staley have never worked together. No idea if they are friends or even know each other.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 11:47
Any correlation shown with HC's being fired and going back to coordinator level the next year, level of success/lack thereof?

Just kind of picturing Hackett being fired and the Jets having one of the worst offenses in the league.

We had Dom, but he had bad results in Jacksonville after being released by Carolina. Then before us he HC again in Houston, then after firing he was DC of Miami first and it what a complete disaster. We sure do love giving DC's their third chance, lol.
Raheem Morris and Steve Wilks are recent examples. I would imagine Staley is more equipped to be a lifelong coordinator versus the head guy.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
26 Jan 2024 11:48
Hmmm. Hadn't really considered him but...?

I believe I read that new Pats HC is good friends with steve belichik, likes his work, and is expected to make him Pats DC.

Things can change of course.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 11:53
APB wrote:
26 Jan 2024 11:48
Hmmm. Hadn't really considered him but...?

I believe I read that new Pats HC is good friends with steve belichik, likes his work, and is expected to make him Pats DC.

Things can change of course.
Seems like a mistake. Especially with Mayo a defensive guy. Hire someone from outside. You don’t need that last name on your staff.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I have pushed Hewitt, Weaver and Martindale as coaches from the Ravens defense coaching tree but Orr is another viable candidate worth looking into.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
26 Jan 2024 10:43
BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 10:19
Drj820 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 09:27

This, plus our loss, plus bucks hiring most overrated coach in history…this is worst week of my life
At least we can say when he had the chance, he’s been successful, #1 D in yards and points. Unlike Barry.

took 2 HOF players to do it
1 HOF'er, don't think Ramsey is, But then Brockers and Floyd and then.... I can't help but look at that defense and think we are more talented as a whole.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
26 Jan 2024 11:59
I have pushed Hewitt, Weaver and Martindale as coaches from the Ravens defense coaching tree but Orr is another viable candidate worth looking into.

I said this a little while back. Hes never called any plays but hes towards the backend of my list. In terms of player development theres no denying what hes done with LBs.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

That's the account that parroted Demovsky that MLF is not interested in Staley.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

From that same guy. So not my list, but most thorough compilation I've seen.

image.png
image.png (149.75 KiB) Viewed 550 times

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
26 Jan 2024 13:04

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
26 Jan 2024 13:13
Aden Durde returned to the Dallas Cowboys in 2021 as the team's new defensive line coach after beginning his NFL coaching career in Dallas as a coaching intern from 2014-15.

In his first season at the helm of the defensive line, Durde's unit produced 23.0 sacks and harangued opposing quarterbacks with consistent pressure on 237-of-684 opponent dropbacks - third-most in the league in 2021, per Pro Football Focus. The unit suffered a setback when star defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence broke his foot following Week 1 and missed the next 11 games, forcing the line to shuffle and come up with creative ways to rush the passer. The setback turned into opportunity, as rookie linebacker Micah Parsons took on more of a role at defensive end and flourished as a pass rusher, accumulating a franchise rookie-record 13.0 sacks.

Prior to Dallas, Durde spent three seasons with the Atlanta Falcons under former Falcons head coach and current Cowboys defensive coordinator, Dan Quinn, where he was first a coaching intern (2016), then as a defensive assistant (2018-19) and finally the outside linebackers coach (2020). In 2020 two Falcons linebackers surpassed the century mark in tackles - Foyesade Oluokun (team and career-high 116) and Deion Jones (105 - second) - while Jones' career-high 4.5 sacks also led all team defenders. Additionally, Durde filled in as the team's defensive line coach at Minnesota (10/18/20) when both of the Falcons two defensive line coaches (Jess Simpson and Tosh Lupoi) did not travel for the game due to COVID-19 precautions. In 2019 Durde assisted in overseeing a defensive line unit that was anchored by Grady Jarrett and Tyeler Davison. The Falcons defense held opponents to 103.5 rushing yards over the final eight weeks of the season, which ranked 10th in the NFL. Additionally, the Falcons tallied 21.0 sacks over the final eight games - tied for 10th in the league during that span.

Durde joined the Falcons after serving as the head of football development at NFLUK, where he helped guide the International Player Pathway program. Working with Super Bowl champion and former Falcon Osi Umenyiora, Durde helped four international players, tight end Alex Gray (Atlanta), defensive end Alex Jenkins (New Orleans), defensive end Efe Obada (Carolina), and linebacker Eric Nzeocha (Tampa Bay) transition to practice squads in 2017. Prior to his work with NFLUK, Durde spent training camp with the Falcons as part of the Bill Walsh NFL Diversity Coaching Fellowship in 2016. He also worked as a coaching intern for the NFL's fellowship program with the Cowboys during training camp in 2014 and 2015. Durde also served as the defensive coordinator of the London Warriors for six seasons.

Durde played linebacker in NFL Europe for six years with the Scottish Claymores and Hamburg Sea Devils and was a member of Hamburg's 2007 NFL Europa World Bowl XV Championship team - the final championship in the European league history. He also spent time on the practice squads of the Carolina Panthers and Kansas City Chiefs.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Looks initially like Matt sticking with the quadragenarian club.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 13:21
Add tricenarian to that list.

Here is my photoshop of what he would like like wearing a Packer shirt.
image.png
image.png (636.86 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Christian Parker enters his third season as defensive backs coach with the Denver Broncos in 2023. He was hired by the club on Feb. 8, 2021.

Parker, who has four years of cumulative NFL experience, spent two seasons with Green Bay (2019-20) before arriving in Denver and served as a defensive quality control coach. In addition to his time in the NFL, Parker has six years of collegiate experience, coaching at Texas A&M (2018), Notre Dame (2017), William & Mary (Spring 2017), Norfolk State University (2015-16) and Virginia State University (2013-14).

In his second season with the Broncos in 2022, Parker oversaw a secondary that tallied 11 of the team's 15 interceptions. Four different defensive backs recorded at least one pick, with safety Justin Simmons' career-high six interceptions representing a tie for the most in the NFL.

Denver's secondary played a huge role in the team surrendering fewer than 200 net passing yards eight times and allowing one or fewer passing touchdowns on 10 occasions. In total, the Broncos' defense gave up 19 points or less in 10 games in 2022, marking the third-most such games in the NFL behind San Francisco (13) and Pittsburgh (11).

Under Parker's guidance, Simmons and cornerback Pat Surtain II garnered Associated Press All-Pro honors. Simmons earned second-team accolades for the third time in his career—second with Parker as his position coach—while Surtain, who was named a 2023 Pro Bowl starter, garnered first-team recognition.

The Broncos were the only NFL team to have two defensive backs selected to Associated Press All-Pro teams. Additionally, Simmons is the only defensive back to earn AP All-Pro nods in each of the last two seasons.

Joining the team in Feb. 2021 under Vic Fangio, Parker was part of a coaching staff that helped the defense tally its fewest points per game (18.9) since 2016. The Broncos' defense ranked in the Top 10 in points allowed (18.9—3rd), red zone percentage (50.0—3rd), fourth-down percentage (32.3—4th), total yards per game (326.1—8th) and passing yards per contest (214.8—8th).

Parker coached Simmons to his second Associated Press All-Pro team while Surtain earned NFL Rookie of the Week and AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors (Week 12), along with being selected to the 2021 Pro Football Writers of America All-Rookie Team. In 2021, four members of the Broncos' secondary recorded at least one interception and combined for 12 picks in total.

With the Packers from 2019-20, Parker focused on the defensive secondary (cornerbacks) while assisting in breaking down opponent game film and analyzing their offensive tendencies. He also was responsible for helping develop the playbook, compiling team and player reports, and coordinating the opponent scout team.

The Packers ranked ninth in the NFL in scoring defense the two seasons Parker was with the team (21.3 ppg) while picking off the 12th most passes (28). Quarterbacks had a combined 86.1 passer rating from 2019-20 against the Packers, which was the ninth fewest in the NFL during that span. Cornerback Jaire Alexander was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2020, becoming the youngest Packer to make the league's annual All-Star game in seven years.

As a defensive analyst for Texas A&M in 2018, Parker worked primarily with the secondary and helped the Aggies rank ninth in the nation in third-down defense (30.3%). Prior to joining the Aggies, Parker spent the 2017 season as a defensive analyst at Notre Dame after serving as the cornerbacks coach at William & Mary during the offseason.

Parker worked as defensive backs coach/recruiting coordinator coach at Norfolk State from 2015-16. He started his coaching career as the cornerbacks (2013) and secondary (2014) coach at Virginia State.

A four-year player at the University of Richmond, Parker was a member of Colonial Athletic Association championship teams in 2009 and 2012. He graduated from Richmond with a bachelor's degree in political science.

ASSOCIATED PRESS ALL-PRO PLAYERS COACHED (2): S Justin Simmons (2021, '22), CB Pat Surtain II (2022).

PRO BOWL PLAYERS COACHED (1): CB Pat Surtain II (2022).

COACHING EXPERIENCE

Denver Broncos
Defensive Backs 2021-23

Green Bay Packers
Defensive Quality Control 2019-20

Texas A&M
Defensive Analyst 2018

Notre Dame
Defensive Analyst 2017

William & Mary
Cornerbacks 2017 (offseason)

Norfolk State
Defensive Backs/Recruiting Coordinator 2015-16

Virginia State
Secondary/Recruiting Coordinator 2014
Cornerbacks 2013

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Cut the crap with these greenhorns, Matt. We are not a rebuilding team. Get a guy who has been around the block.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 13:21
experienced, yet not over the hill types, I think I'am a bit biased and tired of base 4 pass rush and cushion coverage Fangio concepts, Staley variation may be more aggressive, I just don't want the passive approach we saw from Barry.

I really lean towards the stuff Martindale and the Baltimore coaches (others) do, get after the QB, and we have a whole stable of QB eaters, time to really turn that up a notch with some creative blitz designs, so whomever that coach may be, I'am all in. :aok:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
26 Jan 2024 14:06
Cut the crap with these greenhorns, Matt. We are not a rebuilding team. Get a guy who has been around the block.
Get an up and comer!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

As long as he doesn't hire any VEGEtarians, IDGAF how old they are- as long as they help us win.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells