Packers DC Search

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

I'll keep resetting poll as we interview more.

Brandon Staley
8%
Bobby Babich
8%
Aden Durde
No votes
Christian Parker
8%
Chris Harris
17%
Zach Orr
8%
Denard Wilson
50%

Total votes: 12

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

So how do we think this hiring process is going?

-100% lafleurs call top to bottom?

-Mostly Lafleurs call but final approval from Gute?

-Mostly lafleurs call but final approbal from Murphy?

-Total 3 way collaboration?

--Collaboration between Lafleur and Gute, with Gute having final say?
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 14:10
Labrev wrote:
26 Jan 2024 14:06
Cut the crap with these greenhorns, Matt. We are not a rebuilding team. Get a guy who has been around the block.
Get an up and comer!
Yeah, I'd hate for Green Bay to be saddled with a young defensive coordinator like 36 year old Mike Macdonald in Baltimore.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/co ... -macdonald

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I don't care if he has coached for one season or twenty. Get the best guy for the job.

Read More. Post Less.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

I honestly don't care as long as were better. I am not qualified to even have an opinion (not saying anyone here isn't) about who the new DC is. Any applicant or person being considered has had success somewhere it seems, and as too why, I am not sure. Of course, I have thoughts and some simple opinions, but thats all they are. In my perfect pipedream fantasy world where all contestants would be happy I would make Belichick the new Packer head coach and run the defense. MLF would control everything offensively as OC and QB whisperer, and Gute and company can keep on building a high end roster. LOL

Yes I have read the entire topic posts and have enjoyed it very much. :aok:

Go Pack Go

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Not suggesting someone is only getting interviewed because they are minority, just saying that im pretty sure we have to interview a certain amount of minority candidates...so its not like we can just have one interview and call it a day.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 14:32
Not suggesting someone is only getting interviewed because they are minority, just saying that im pretty sure we have to interview a certain amount of minority candidates...so its not like we can just have one interview and call it a day.
No, they don't. The Rooney Rule does not apply to position under head coach.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Drj820 wrote:
For coordinator it's one external minority candidate. Head coach requires two.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Madcity_matt wrote:
26 Jan 2024 14:39
Drj820 wrote:
For coordinator it's one external minority candidate. Head coach requires two.
I stand corrected. Thank you. They updated it in 2021 to include coordinators and 2022 with QB coaches.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 14:38
Drj820 wrote:
No, they don't. The Rooney Rule does not apply to position under head coach.
yes they do. its why the fangio to Philly hire wasnt immediately official.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

LombardiTime wrote:
26 Jan 2024 14:30
Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 14:10
Labrev wrote:
Cut the crap with these greenhorns, Matt. We are not a rebuilding team. Get a guy who has been around the block.
Get an up and comer!
Yeah, I'd hate for Green Bay to be saddled with a young defensive coordinator like 36 year old Mike Macdonald in Baltimore.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/co ... -macdonald
I'm not talking about young/old. I'm talking about experience. Guys who have a modicum of experience doing anything remotely like being a coordinator, ideally actually being D-Coord themselves but if not, then run-game coordinator, pass-game coordinator, playcalling.

If none of those, then at least someone who has been doing it for a while and exposed to lots of different coaching minds/schemes.

The example you gave is a guy who was D-Coord at a big college football program before he was hired.

These guys are just position-coaches, and have been for a very short time.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 13:21
Looks initially like Matt sticking with the quadragenarian club.
I think I'am a bit biased and tired of base 4 pass rush and cushion coverage Fangio concepts,

I don't know that he's bad but also don't know that he's good. He was DC for 1 year. The Rams were good for that 1 year but they were trending that way before he got there and stayed good after he left.

DVOA
2018: 16th
2019: 7th
2020 (Staley): 3rd
2021: 3rd

He went on to be a head coach that presided over a horrific defense.

Beyond that I don't think we've seen a Fangio disciple in the top 10 of defenses since 2021 when Raheem Morris had the Rams 3rd but they fell to 18th the next year.

In 2023 the Fangio defenses that I'm aware of were

Miami (Fangio): 19th
Rams (Morris): 22nd
Panthers (Evero): 25th
Chargers (Ansley): 26th
Packers (Barry): 27th
Eagles (Desai): 29th

Don't forget the Vikings were 24th with Donatell because they wanted a Fangio guy and after 1 year decided to move on to Flores and jumped to 11th.

The Fangio defense may have had it's day.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

That Parker dude is only a year older than Preston! I love that they are talking to some young guys. I'm all for giving a guy his chance if you like what he is trying to do. You can't be experienced unless someone has given you an opportunity. I think these kids today need someone they can relate to instead of a father figure. Probably why Bellichick and Carroll are not hired yet.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Going young is fine, Lafleur just needs to know that this team is in a Super Bowl window and there will be no time to “learn on the job”. There are other locations around the league to do that.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 15:33
Going young is fine, Lafleur just needs to know that this team is in a Super Bowl window and there will be no time to “learn on the job”. There are other locations around the league to do that.
Precisely what LaFleur did previously, leaning with the more experienced Barry when we had the Rodgers superbowl window.

In doing so we missed out on a talent coordinator in Evero who proved himself just one year later.

What you're saying is essentially asking us to repeat our mistake.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 15:20
In 2023 the Fangio defenses that I'm aware of were

Miami (Fangio): 19th
Rams (Morris): 22nd
Panthers (Evero): 25th
Chargers (Ansley): 26th
Packers (Barry): 27th
Eagles (Desai): 29th

Don't forget the Vikings were 24th with Donatell because they wanted a Fangio guy and after 1 year decided to move on to Flores and jumped to 11th.

The Fangio defense may have had it's day.

Mistake free offenses are killing the sit back and bring it to me Fangio models, those stats bare that out, thats why I lean towards a more aggressive pass rush and more man coverage, but doesn't everybody :lol: offenses are so well coached, mistake free, long marches are the thing, just don't know what to think a guy like Staley would bring we havn't already seen from Barry, we'll see, this just started, probably drag out till the first round of interviews, hope he's thorough.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Chilli wrote:
26 Jan 2024 15:52
Drj820 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 15:33
Precisely what LaFleur did previously, leaning with the more experienced Barry when we had the Rodgers superbowl window.

In doing so we missed out on a talent coordinator in Evero who proved himself just one year later.

What you're saying is essentially asking us to repeat our mistake.
Not at all.

1) Barry had a proven track record..and it was one that was not impressive. Barry performed exactly as his track record indicated he would!

2) I’m not saying the new hire can’t be young, I’m saying his plan and vision must be crystal clear and ready to execute, because he wont have time for trial and error

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Chilli wrote:
26 Jan 2024 15:52

Barry was not the only experienced candidate then, and there are even more such options now. Just because Barry was an experienced hire that was not up to par means all experienced hires are a bad idea.

Also, Evero was LA's passing game coordinator, not just a position coach.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I want a guy who isn't 35+ years in the saddle. Want a guy who makes a great system that can work with most of what we already have, yet with the intention to mix it up and bring pressure more often. Find a guy that you think will have hunches of when to make certain play calls.

If past form holds, they'll probably find a guy who operates a scheme they really lean toward and knocks the ball out of the part on the interview. Then, they work to get him hired before he leaves the building. That's what I'd keep my ears on the ground to listen for. Maybe by next week at this time?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
I totally disagree with this. A man's ability to inspire and his ability to devise new schemes or disguise old schemes are not reserved to failed head coaches and recycled DC's. If they have been around the block and now are available it means they have been a failure at their latest position. The Packers need someone with fresh ideas. A 60+ year old recycled DC is not going to inspire a young team either.

Barry had been around the block, might as well have kept him if that is the prime requirement.

Interview a lot of candidates, don't write off everyone without DC experience.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff