2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

If the claim is that the prospect has some kind of value that will make them highly coveted, I don't mind it.

If it's a blanket claim of "he's too good of a player to be available later than #!" even if it's based in eval, I have to roll my eyes. The draft is a crapshoot, mistakes are made every year. Being a good player doesn't save you from draft day slides.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Jan 2024 15:27

1 may sneak into round 1, but my cursory look at them aligns with this.
At 41 it would be Almost impossible to argue with Gute pulling the trigger on the top S on his board.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

JKB wrote:
26 Jan 2024 08:29
Pckfn23 wrote:

At 41 it would be Almost impossible to argue with Gute pulling the trigger on the top S on his board.
It seems very possible to argue with it. The top S on the board may be quite underwhelming compared to players at other positions.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

with changes we now see with offensive schemes ( small ball and dink and dunk passing) interior positions are a higher need position, there is a premium on slot corner, ILB and obviously safety, while this is said to be a weaker safety class, there are a few, probably 3 will go top 40, maybe sooner, Dejean, Nubin, and Kinchens at this stage seem like the top 3, I'd like to add a name to this list, he's a bit smaller, but faster, and is a FS/CB tweener, might be a heck of a good slot corner, or safety.

4. Georgia image Javon Bullard*, S/CB, Georgia
Height: 5-11. Weight: 180.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
Projected Round (2024): 1-2.
1/6/24: Bullard notched 56 tackles, two interceptions and five passes broken up in 2023. He played well despite being banged up.

9/2/23: Bullard is a corner/safety hybrid who is similar to Detroit Lions defensive backs C.J. Gardner-Johnson and Brian Branch. In 2022, Bullard recorded 46 tackles, two interceptions, three passes broken up and 3.5 sacks. Bullard is highly instinctive, tough and physical, and has excellent feel and awareness. Bullard has a thinner frame, so it would help him to gain some weight for the NFL.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Labrev wrote:
26 Jan 2024 08:48
JKB wrote:
26 Jan 2024 08:29
Pckfn23 wrote:

It seems very possible to argue with it. The top S on the board may be quite underwhelming compared to players at other positions.
That's always been my 'problem' with BPA. How does choose between apples and oranges? How can Player X be judged to be a better (fill in a position) than Player Y is a (fill in another position)? Of course, within reason.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 09:29
Labrev wrote:
25 Jan 2024 09:20
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 08:53
That is quite a pet peeve of mine as well, haha, especially with how it's said like it's a "duh" thing when it's not.
Or the reverse when it's said a guy is a reach.
That, or people just assume a trade-up is out of the question.

I mean it's not like the Packers have a GM who is 1) well known for being active on draft day(s) and 2) has a large contingent of picks to play with.

When framed as a stand-alone statement, "he won't be there" is just an annoying non-response.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

people act like GM's and his group of scouts spend there days playing cards, every draft board is full top to bottom, layered with each round full of prospects layered top to bottom in value, with many players at near equal value, BPA fits in somewhere, but these players are not numbered 1 through 250.

they don't pass over anyone like we do, thats a luxury they can't afford.

when Rodgers started dropping Ted wanted all the info they had on him so he could over look it all again, so obviously we already had scouting reports on him, just a matter of crossing the T's and dotting the I's

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
26 Jan 2024 09:10
with changes we now see with offensive schemes ( small ball and dink and dunk passing) interior positions are a higher need position, there is a premium on slot corner, ILB and obviously safety, while this is said to be a weaker safety class, there are a few, probably 3 will go top 40, maybe sooner, Dejean, Nubin, and Kinchens at this stage seem like the top 3, I'd like to add a name to this list, he's a bit smaller, but faster, and is a FS/CB tweener, might be a heck of a good slot corner, or safety.

1/6/24: Bullard notched 56 tackles, two interceptions and five passes broken up in 2023. He played well despite being banged up.

9/2/23: Bullard is a corner/safety hybrid who is similar to Detroit Lions defensive backs C.J. Gardner-Johnson and Brian Branch. In 2022, Bullard recorded 46 tackles, two interceptions, three passes broken up and 3.5 sacks. Bullard is highly instinctive, tough and physical, and has excellent feel and awareness. Bullard has a thinner frame, so it would help him to gain some weight for the NFL.
I'm not a fan. Too small. Ive seen the CGJ comparison and I think its wrong. CGJ tested at the combine at 210. This guy will be lucky to break 5'10 and 190.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I have not been excited about a safety class in a while. I really think a vet is the answer and maybe draft a guy to develop. I want CBs over a safety if we are going d backfield early.

I don't think there is a safety worth a top 40 pick for me at this point

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Just get Evero, bring Chinn over with him. Boom, offseason done till draft.

Just draft 3 more OL, a RB early, and at least one defender at every level.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 12:29
Just get Evero, bring Chinn over with him. Boom, offseason done till draft.

Just draft 3 more OL, a RB early, and at least one defender at every level.
Didn’t Chinn take a step back because he wasn’t an ideal scheme fit with Evero?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Sign me up
Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee

Arguably the best home run hitter in college football this season, Wright produced 10 yards or more on 25.5 percent of his carries — best in the SEC and No. 2 nationally. Additionally, the 5-11, 210-pound bowling ball with wheels rushed for at least 5 yards on more than 47 percent of his attempts.

Wright is a solid gap and zone runner with great short-area quicks and the ability to run away from an entire defense. He supposedly ran a sub-4.3 40-yard dash in high school, so every TV monitor at the combine will have a crowd around it when Wright runs.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Jan 2024 12:06
Yoop wrote:
26 Jan 2024 09:10

I'm not a fan. Too small. Ive seen the CGJ comparison and I think its wrong. CGJ tested at the combine at 210. This guy will be lucky to break 5'10 and 190.
Agreed. 180 pounds? He can't play safety or the slot in today's NFL. He just can't, and if he tries he will be on IR very quickly.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So far the only guy who has my heart fluttering for Rd1 is Cooper DeJean.

I would have felt a lot more confident we could get him had we been at 19. I think being at 25 is a long shot. You can use your Buffalo 3rd to trade up from 19 to get him. But going from 25 to say 15 is just too much of a price tag.

But I really, really like Cooper DeJean. I think he fits what we are looking for perfectly.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I gotta see how Dejean tests. I think you could be looking at a Josh Jackson clone. He’s got good size and instincts but he’s not projected to be an elite athlete by a lot of my go to sites.

I suspect he’s either going to be a S which idk if he’s that great of a tackler to do that or he becomes nickel CB in which o think in the right defense he would excel in but you have to dedicate making him that Swiss Army knife like a bigger Honey Badger.

I think as things stand right now Dejean will be available but the combine can swing his draft stock completely.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Jan 2024 20:31
Sign me up
Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee

Arguably the best home run hitter in college football this season, Wright produced 10 yards or more on 25.5 percent of his carries — best in the SEC and No. 2 nationally. Additionally, the 5-11, 210-pound bowling ball with wheels rushed for at least 5 yards on more than 47 percent of his attempts.

Wright is a solid gap and zone runner with great short-area quicks and the ability to run away from an entire defense. He supposedly ran a sub-4.3 40-yard dash in high school, so every TV monitor at the combine will have a crowd around it when Wright runs.
Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #24. He wrote " The 5-11 Wright is up to 200 pounds but displayed some serious juice this offseason, clocking 23.6 mph in practice. Beyond that, Wright vertical-jumped 44 inches and did a 10-8 broad jump."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

M-F Draft talk.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

This is in response to comments made in this and other threads.

Most here seem convinced Bahktiari is gone next year. I'm not sold.

I don't know the details of his latest procedure but it sounded like his doctors, and Bahk himself, were pretty confident they had resolved the issue. If he shows he is indeed past his issue(s) this off-season and back to form (and is willing to do a simple restructure to his contract), then it's entirely possible he is back in at LT.

In that case, the Packers already have their swing tackle on the roster in Walker. That could change the entire landscape of their draft focus.

Well, maybe not entirely. I'm sure they'd still look to draft another OT project for the future but I question we'd see a day 1/2 pick used unless a quality player was available and just too good to pass up.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there.