2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

The little I have read about DeJean reminds me of Jabril Peppers' pre-draft scouting report. I was never a Jabril Peppers fan and he has had an underwhelming NFL career when accounting for his draft position.

Now somebody tell me why this guy is not Jabril Peppers.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
29 Jan 2024 17:57
This is in response to comments made in this and other threads.

Most here seem convinced Bahktiari is gone next year. I'm not sold.

I don't know the details of his latest procedure but it sounded like his doctors, and Bahk himself, were pretty confident they had resolved the issue. If he shows he is indeed past his issue(s) this off-season and back to form (and is willing to do a simple restructure to his contract), then it's entirely possible he is back in at LT.
His cap hit is $8.5M MORE than the next highest tackle. it would be pretty crazy to keep him at that number and I don't think extension should be on the table.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jan 2024 18:12
APB wrote:

I don't know the details of his latest procedure but it sounded like his doctors, and Bahk himself, were pretty confident they had resolved the issue. If he shows he is indeed past his issue(s) this off-season and back to form (and is willing to do a simple restructure to his contract), then it's entirely possible he is back in at LT.
His cap hit is $8.5M MORE than the next highest tackle. it would be pretty crazy to keep him at that number and I don't think extension should be on the table.
This. Plus, how many times have we heard the latest surgery or cleanup resolved the issue? At least two other times, and those are just what I can remember.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Papa John wrote:
29 Jan 2024 18:05
The little I have read about DeJean reminds me of Jabril Peppers' pre-draft scouting report. I was never a Jabril Peppers fan and he has had an underwhelming NFL career when accounting for his draft position.

This is actually a great comparison.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I mean if Bakhtiari is willing to flush his current contract down the toilet and give us a sweetheart deal, then I'm all for it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Labrev wrote:
29 Jan 2024 19:15
I mean if Bakhtiari is willing to flush his current contract down the toilet and give us a sweetheart deal, then I'm all for it.
He’s a guy who always talks about his money and maximizing his earnings. I highly doubt it.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Jan 2024 18:41
Papa John wrote:

Great guy to have. Super valuable if you play them right. Very tough to get 1st round value out of that skill set.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
29 Jan 2024 20:01
lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Jan 2024 18:41
Papa John wrote:

Great guy to have. Super valuable if you play them right. Very tough to get 1st round value out of that skill set.
Agreed it’s tough to make it work. It’s a guy you can stick at nickel but doesn’t cover as well as a nickel. Or a guy you can play as a LB but doesn’t tackle or stack up the run as well as a LB. Or a S but he doesn’t quite do the previous two things well enough to fit there either.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jan 2024 18:12
APB wrote:

And yet the Packers are still in a manageable spot, cap wise.

I also wouldn’t rule out a 1-2 year extension, assuming his knee checks out. He’s only 32 years old which is still prime for OT.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We also must not forget that Bakh's attitude is stinky and it makes him a cancer to the team.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
30 Jan 2024 06:57
We also must not forget that Bakh's attitude is stinky and it makes him a cancer to the team.
:lol:

Ah yes. I had forgotten he's a cancer and detriment to locker room cohesion. :thwap:

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I don't think Bakh has been anything but a top notch player and teammate his entire career. I think some like to interpret his honest comments a certain way, but I didn't seem to find them to be anything other than a pretty straight forward and honest assessment of the reality this team found itself in.

and even with a knee that was less than 100% he still looked like one of the best OT's in the league with almost no practice. it's a crap situation for the player and the team and it's nobody's fault. If the man can play, i'm happy to have him. I'm not sure he can or we can risk it or should risk it I should say. and I don't think he has any trade value left. Reality is, he's probably just a cut. I don't like it, i bet the team doesn't like it, and I don't think Bakh likes it either.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

You can dump the 23rd highest paid non QB in the league right now. Bak was a great player but we are about to come up on his 3rd season off an injury with no guarantee he can stay on the field. Every one of these surgeries hes had "The doctors finally figured it out." At this point you just need to move on. You have a competent OT duo in Walker and Tom and this is a strong OT class and Bak just cant be trusted.

I loved what Nagler had to say recently. He said Gutenbumst needs to be ruthless this offseason. That means not bringing back underachievers (mistakes made in the past resigning King/Lewis) like all of these safeties and Dillon. That means moving on from bad contracts (mistakes made in the past like pushing money on Dean Lowry/Billy Turder) and getting rid of Campbell and Bak.

Clean up the cap once and for all. Be extremely competitive next year with another large rookie class but come out incredibly strong in 2025 with a healthy cap and keep our developed assets.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

musclestang wrote:
30 Jan 2024 08:55
I don't think Bakh has been anything but a top notch player and teammate his entire career. I think some like to interpret his honest comments a certain way, but I didn't seem to find them to be anything other than a pretty straight forward and honest assessment of the reality this team found itself in.

and even with a knee that was less than 100% he still looked like one of the best OT's in the league with almost no practice. it's a crap situation for the player and the team and it's nobody's fault. If the man can play, i'm happy to have him. I'm not sure he can or we can risk it or should risk it I should say. and I don't think he has any trade value left. Reality is, he's probably just a cut. I don't like it, i bet the team doesn't like it, and I don't think Bakh likes it either.
We just don't know if Bakh can still play a full season. But we should know in a few weeks based upon whether the Packers cut him or not.

I also agree with you that honesty is a rare and valuable thing. I do not believe in censoring Bakh or Alexander or Rasul or anyone else.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Powers-Johnson is my biggest early draft crush for like 40ish

[quote]Biggest takeaway of Tuesday's early practice
The offensive line prospects in this class are really, really good. Oregon State offensive tackle Taliese Fuaga had a dominant performance in the first practice. In fact, it was as good of a first practice as I can recall seeing at the Senior Bowl. Fuaga easily handled the speed and edge-rushing ability of UCLA’s Laiatu Latu and consistently displayed power in one-on-one drills.

He wasn’t alone, though. Oregon center Jackson Powers-Johnson was a bully in the run game, using his 334 pounds to flatten defenders both at the line of scrimmage and in space. Kansas’ Dominick Puni and Florida’s Kingsley Eguakun also impressed, and the biggest takeaway from the first two hours of Senior Bowl practice is that the National roster's offensive line is stacked with talent. -- Miller

Top riser of Tuesday's early practice

I have Michigan receiver Roman Wilson as my top riser of the morning. He was simply unguardable during the first day of practice. His success during the one-on-one session carried over into the 11-on-11 team portion, and he looked great racing past the defense to catch a deep route from Notre Dame quarterback Sam Hartman. Wilson served a limited role in Michigan's run-heavy offense, but he was able to show what’s he’s capable of as a route runner on Tuesday, and showed strong hands as well. Wilson -- who caught 12 touchdown passes this season -- is already a major stock-up candidate; I had him projected for Round 4, but he could enter Day 2 conversations. -- Reid

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Jan 2024 12:14
Biggest takeaway of Tuesday's early practice
The offensive line prospects in this class are really, really good. Oregon State offensive tackle Taliese Fuaga had a dominant performance in the first practice. In fact, it was as good of a first practice as I can recall seeing at the Senior Bowl. Fuaga easily handled the speed and edge-rushing ability of UCLA’s Laiatu Latu and consistently displayed power in one-on-one drills.

He wasn’t alone, though. Oregon center Jackson Powers-Johnson was a bully in the run game, using his 334 pounds to flatten defenders both at the line of scrimmage and in space. Kansas’ Dominick Puni and Florida’s Kingsley Eguakun also impressed, and the biggest takeaway from the first two hours of Senior Bowl practice is that the National roster's offensive line is stacked with talent. -- Miller

I have Michigan receiver Roman Wilson as my top riser of the morning. He was simply unguardable during the first day of practice. His success during the one-on-one session carried over into the 11-on-11 team portion, and he looked great racing past the defense to catch a deep route from Notre Dame quarterback Sam Hartman. Wilson served a limited role in Michigan's run-heavy offense, but he was able to show what’s he’s capable of as a route runner on Tuesday, and showed strong hands as well. Wilson -- who caught 12 touchdown passes this season -- is already a major stock-up candidate; I had him projected for Round 4, but he could enter Day 2 conversations. -- Reid
I want him badly. I’m hoping we can find a partner to trade down with out of the first and go Nubin and Powers-Johnson.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Jan 2024 12:14
Biggest takeaway of Tuesday's early practice

Roman Wilson was a guy I was eying if he indeed was a Day 3 guy. Thought his value was fantastic when I was doing mock drafts. I am not going to spend a day 2 pick on him though.

As for Powers Johnson, he is an intruiging Day 2 guy for me as is Michigan's Center (Day 3 guy)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Jan 2024 12:00
Is that really a big deal? Like, are these walkthroughs? Because that is not out of this world fast for CB and WR in shorts.