Let The Hirings Begin!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2024 08:28
Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jan 2024 08:10
Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2024 07:32

smart decision financially, if he works as a coach, or possibly simply in any football connected job, his 25 mil. severance with NE become negotiable, I expect with broadcasting thats protected, money rules :lol:
Why do you say that Belichick will lose at least part of his 2024 money if he coaches somewhere else?
because I read it last week, if Bill takes a job for another team, this years guaranteed 21 mil. plus 4 mil. in escallators becomes negotiable, which to me means Belichick wont rush to take a coaching job, unless it is exactly what he wants.
That's an interesting clause in the contract that goes against the norm. Usually if a team fires a coach that is under contract that is considered a breach of contract and the coach gets all remaining money.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 12:13
BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 10:13
Final guesses?

My guesses
Atl - Bill Belichick
Car - Dave Canales
Sea - Dan Quinn
Was - Ben Johnson

1 for 1
Panther's job huh? So what's the over under on his tenure? 12 games?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Youve gotta have some insane level of self confidence to take that Panthers job.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Jan 2024 08:51
Youve gotta have some insane level of self confidence to take that Panthers job.
Eh, go from making ~800k a year and someone dangles about a $40M guaranteed contract in your face. Sign me up.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jan 2024 08:49
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jan 2024 08:10

Why do you say that Belichick will lose at least part of his 2024 money if he coaches somewhere else?
because I read it last week, if Bill takes a job for another team, this years guaranteed 21 mil. plus 4 mil. in escallators becomes negotiable, which to me means Belichick wont rush to take a coaching job, unless it is exactly what he wants.
That's an interesting clause in the contract that goes against the norm. Usually if a team fires a coach that is under contract that is considered a breach of contract and the coach gets all remaining money.
depends on the deal, often ( you should check it out) if a coach is fired with a contract year left, and hires on elsewhere, what he gets from his new team is deducted from that previous contract, thats what I read was written into Belichicks contract, I've also read that prior concerning other coaches, it is a provision to deter coaches from going to a new team and also dragging along assistants.

this stuff matters far less if your HC is walking away with say 5 mil. if he's leaving with 25 mil. obviously it takes on higher relevance

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2024 09:26
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

depends on the deal, often ( you should check it out) if a coach is fired with a contract year left, and hires on elsewhere, what he gets from his new team is deducted from that previous contract, thats what I read was written into Belichicks contract, I've also read that prior concerning other coaches, it is a provision to deter coaches from going to a new team and also dragging along assistants.

this stuff matters far less if your HC is walking away with say 5 mil. if he's leaving with 25 mil. obviously it takes on higher relevance
I was not aware that was the case, a dollar for dollar "exchange," if another team hires the coach when still under contract. Thanks for sharing that.

Now, it doesn't matter for Belichick. He still gets that money regardless. It would just be his new team paying off the Patriots, so to speak.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
29 Jan 2024 08:54
lupedafiasco wrote:
Eh, go from making ~800k a year and someone dangles about a $40M guaranteed contract in your face. Sign me up.
I get that but that type of job can be a career killer. You arent set up for success there and a failure could mean even in the best of circumstances you have to spend another 10 years working your way up to another HC gig.

But I hear you. The money is crazy. I dont know how I would react to that offer but I dont think I would jump at a team that quite literally has nothing going for it. Even this draft they dont pick until 33rd overall and only have 4 picks in the draft as things stand.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jan 2024 09:48
Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2024 09:26
Pckfn23 wrote:

I was not aware that was the case, a dollar for dollar "exchange," if another team hires the coach when still under contract. Thanks for sharing that.

Now, it doesn't matter for Belichick. He still gets that money regardless. It would just be his new team paying off the Patriots, so to speak.
how ever you want to word it is fine by me :lol: , but that is a sticking point for any new team to consider, right? Belichick has been the highest paid coach in the league, he wont take a discount to go elsewhere, we also don't know the wording in that contract, it may not be a $ for $ exchange, personally I think any team is leery now to give Bill the money he wants plus the years it would take for him to build another PO caliber team, at least how the Arthur Blank Falcons situation sounded to me.
Last edited by Yoop on 29 Jan 2024 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Jan 2024 09:53
BF004 wrote:
29 Jan 2024 08:54
lupedafiasco wrote:
I get that but that type of job can be a career killer. You arent set up for success there and a failure could mean even in the best of circumstances you have to spend another 10 years working your way up to another HC gig.

But I hear you. The money is crazy. I dont know how I would react to that offer but I dont think I would jump at a team that quite literally has nothing going for it. Even this draft they dont pick until 33rd overall and only have 4 picks in the draft as things stand.
No one else was hiring the bucs OC as HC. If you get the chance to sign a 5 year guaranteed deal, you secure the bag. Also, i think everybody knows that situation is a loony one. I think you could win 7 games the next 3 years, crazy tepper fire you, and the rest of the league see that as a big success. I think the bar is really low there from the eyes of others.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
30 Jan 2024 11:59
Wow. I wonder what they are paying him.

Seems a little weird. At some point his star is going to fall....

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

That kind of sucks for us. Was hoping a little turnover on the staff would create some issues for them.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The Dan Campbell effect is insane. These players and coaches just want to play for this guy.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Jan 2024 12:17
The Dan Campbell effect is insane. These players and coaches just want to play for this guy.
Hoping the Lions are a Green Package opponent at Lambeau in 2024. This could be shaping up as a cool rivalry that overrides Da Bears and Vikings just losing.😉

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Jan 2024 12:00
BF004 wrote:

Yup. When you get chance at a HC job you should pursue it. If Lions go 9-8 next year he won't be coveted.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Jan 2024 15:02
Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Yup. When you get chance at a HC job you should pursue it. If Lions go 9-8 next year he won't be coveted.
They say hes asking for like 10m+ a year...if the Lions or Goff struggles at all, he may not be able to set his own price. Or even get a job if it goes real south.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Jan 2024 15:59
wallyuwl wrote:
30 Jan 2024 15:02
Drj820 wrote:

They say hes asking for like 10m+ a year...if the Lions or Goff struggles at all, he may not be able to set his own price. Or even get a job if it goes real south.
Meh.

I take his rumored salary demands as fodder to fill empty spaces. I doubt anybody within the interview/negotiation process is sharing that info.

I think it's just as likely he's content with how much he's making in Detroit and just likes where he's at for him professionally and for his family privately.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Huh. Lookie there.

He apparently went from a $10m HC salary demand to sticking with his OC pay and being good with it.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
30 Jan 2024 20:06
sticking with his OC pay and being good with it.
Good for him and his family

I'd guess there's gonna be some kind of quid pro quo on this one,
Goff has 1 season left on his old deal and Lions really want Johnson as OC to give it one more shot in 2024.

Goff's agent will push for an in-season extension, Lions will push for an off season decision at QB. Maybe Goff and Johnson leave after 2024
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I have zero problem with someone saying "I'm happy where I am and I'm going to stick around," and if that's all there is, cool! Great!

But I get a sense that he does want to be a head coach, he overvalued himself; that he thinks he can get this opportunity and possibly a bidding war any time he wants, and that there's little-to-no downside risk of delaying for a year.

And if that's the case, this is a very dumb calculation because his stock is very high and his future prospects depend in large part on the continued success of a mediocre QB and on team success impacted by countless outside factors. It's a huge gamble if that's what he wants.