Packers DC Search

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

I'll keep resetting poll as we interview more.

Brandon Staley
8%
Bobby Babich
8%
Aden Durde
No votes
Christian Parker
8%
Chris Harris
17%
Zach Orr
8%
Denard Wilson
50%

Total votes: 12

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I used to have some Packers contacts. I "interned" at the combine in 2005 and was their runner and errand boy all week. I met the whole group. I had previously known Eliot Wolf (not well) and my dad had previously known John Dorsey pretty well.

What I learned from that experience is that--at least in the TT era but seemingly in the BG era as well--is that if you aren't hearing from the decision-maker himself, you are hearing inferences, opinions and informed speculation. You can know a LOT of the underlying facts, but the final decisions and the actual decision-makers themselves, are kept pretty close to the vest and isolated.

I have no doubt that these guys heard from their source that, maybe, it appeared as though Parker was in line or did get the offer. The source may have KNOWN that the Packers want Parker. But that doesn't mean they've offered or that they've finalized that decision. But the source might have heard around the building, like "we're hoping he wants to come here" and connected the dots that Parker was the only one left to decide.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
30 Jan 2024 11:11
BF004 wrote:
30 Jan 2024 10:55
Anyone know how or why Wilson left philly after 2022?

Did he get to interview for their DC job? Seems like he ended up getting a slight demotion there from 2022 to 2023.

However, looking at the Eagles D in '22 and Ravens D in '23, sign me up for either.
well, we need the discerning capabilities of people under 45, older boomies can't figure out what is true and reliable, from just backyard hacks and on line frauds :rotf:
This gave me a chuckle... :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
30 Jan 2024 11:16
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Did he get to interview for their DC job? Seems like he ended up getting a slight demotion there from 2022 to 2023.

However, looking at the Eagles D in '22 and Ravens D in '23, sign me up for either.
well, we need the discerning capabilities of people under 45, older boomies can't figure out what is true and reliable, from just backyard hacks and on line frauds :rotf:
This gave me a chuckle... :lol:
haha, glad to help brighten your day :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Jan 2024 11:15
I used to have some Packers contacts. I "interned" at the combine in 2005 and was their runner and errand boy all week. I met the whole group. I had previously known Eliot Wolf (not well) and my dad had previously known John Dorsey pretty well.

What I learned from that experience is that--at least in the TT era but seemingly in the BG era as well--is that if you aren't hearing from the decision-maker himself, you are hearing inferences, opinions and informed speculation. You can know a LOT of the underlying facts, but the final decisions and the actual decision-makers themselves, are kept pretty close to the vest and isolated.

I have no doubt that these guys heard from their source that, maybe, it appeared as though Parker was in line or did get the offer. The source may have KNOWN that the Packers want Parker. But that doesn't mean they've offered or that they've finalized that decision. But the source might have heard around the building, like "we're hoping he wants to come here" and connected the dots that Parker was the only one left to decide.
the obvious road block for me was timing, that news just seemed so premature, it means Matt only had 2 interviews and one was said to be face talk, that would mean Matt decided after hardly listening to anyone else we heard was on his interview list, knowing Lafleur and passed hires it didn't make any sense. :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
I wouldnt find Mertig. It happens. He got some breadcrumbs and tried to follow a trail and a team source gave him bad information. It happens.

People make mistakes. Hopefully he learns from it. This is the problem with cancel culture. Everyone wants to so badly punish someone into the ground for screwing up. If Nagler is a good mentor and boss he uses this as an opportunity to teach his employees from this incident. Not beat on him when hes down.
Agreed. Mertig's mistake was leaping to "Packers offered Parker a job". That is quite a leap based on his follow up.

Instead Mertig should have posted:
Am hearing Parker is hanging around Green Bay a few days after his interview.
That just implies more is being discussed and the interview is getting deeper. He will learn from next time.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
30 Jan 2024 11:14
BF004 wrote:

Per ESPN reporting:
The Eagles and defensive backs coach/defensive passing game coordinator Dennard Wilson have agreed to part ways, a league source confirmed, after Wilson was passed up for the defensive coordinator position.

Wilson was considered a strong internal candidate for the defensive coordinator post that opened when Jonathan Gannon took the Arizona Cardinals' head-coaching job, but coach Nick Sirianni instead went outside the organization to fill the role, hiring former Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Sean Desai.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/357 ... -part-ways

He apparently had the strong backing of his players. Sirianni went a different direction despite their endorsements, though.
Eagles being in the SB, I’m sure all those DC interviews would have been real late in the process, whatever that might mean.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
30 Jan 2024 11:23
the obvious road block for me was timing, that news just seemed so premature, it means Matt only had 2 interviews and one was said to be face talk, that would mean Matt decided after hardly listening to anyone else we heard was on his interview list, knowing Lafleur and passed hires it didn't make any sense.
I agree entirely; it felt premature. I bet Parker was the clear, known favorite of the first round, but nothing was ever going to be finalized until after the Ravens coaches were available (though waiting for the Super Bowl would have been a lot tougher than this scenario).

I'm sure Milt Hendrickson still has a lot of contacts and intel in the Ravens' building and anyone coming in is already fairly-well vetted. So if there is any interest in those guys (which we now know for sure there is), it was going to get explored thoroughly.

I also sort of expect, if possible (obviously an offer for a well-regarded candidate by another team could force the issue on a deadline), that MLF would prefer a second interview with more details with a final 2 or 3 guys before an offer, but that might not be a realistic expectation in the pace of this

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
I wouldnt find Mertig. It happens. He got some breadcrumbs and tried to follow a trail and a team source gave him bad information. It happens.

People make mistakes. Hopefully he learns from it. This is the problem with cancel culture. Everyone wants to so badly punish someone into the ground for screwing up. If Nagler is a good mentor and boss he uses this as an opportunity to teach his employees from this incident. Not beat on him when hes down.
media guys have no accountability. Cheesehead tv becomes the most credible if they show they dont tolerate lies.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Jan 2024 11:34
lupedafiasco wrote:

media guys have no accountability. Cheesehead tv becomes the most credible if they show they dont tolerate lies.
What he posted was a mistake. It was misleading but he did clearly say hes "being led to believe." Now if thats something that was lost in translation on the internet and twitter idk but I think if we heard this in a face to face conversation not bound by a twitter character count we probably get the full story.

I wouldnt call it a straight up lie.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If we get either Baltimore guy, Geno Stone would be a pretty quality under the radar signing. Hasn’t done much through years, believe an udrfa guy, but basically played the whole year at safety for Baltimore due to injuries and what not. Be an awesome guy to bring in hopefully for cheaper.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Jan 2024 11:40
Drj820 wrote:
30 Jan 2024 11:34
lupedafiasco wrote:

What he posted was a mistake. It was misleading but he did clearly say hes "being led to believe." Now if thats something that was lost in translation on the internet and twitter idk but I think if we heard this in a face to face conversation not bound by a twitter character count we probably get the full story.

I wouldnt call it a straight up lie.
If im Nagler, Im performing a citizens arrest and walking him down to county for processing to be charged with fraud and sabatoge. Total Liability.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
30 Jan 2024 11:47
If we get either Baltimore guy, Geno Stone would be a pretty quality under the radar signing. Hasn’t done much through years, believe an udrfa guy, but basically played the whole year at safety for Baltimore due to injuries and what not. Be an awesome guy to bring in hopefully for cheaper.
Awful tackler. Pass.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lupedafiasco wrote:

I am 100% opposed to cancel culture (being cancelled for saying opinions that some people don't like, or slurs or potty mouth), but I am in favor of greatly tightening the screws when it comes to reporting things as fact which don't happen or didn't happen. We do a horrible job in 2024 of letting people continue to have megaphones when they either make &%$@ up for clout or don't have a firm enough innate grasp on logic and epistemology to understand when to add a minor qualifier to their decisive statements.

That said, in this case he did qualify the statement (" I’m being led to believe ") so he didn't exactly report it as fact. Everyone else took it and ran with it. But I definitely wouldn't fire the guy, although the next time he makes some claim, everyone should be dubious.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Bills just promoted Babich to DC so he's off our list.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I like Zach Orr. I want a former player as DC this time. He's from my neck of the woods too. Good dude from what I have heard although I never met him personally back in the day. Part of the Ravens staff, and was a Ravens player, and if there is any franchise that embodies a culture of defense, it is Baltimore. We are known for QBs but it would be great if we also become known for QBs and Defenses.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Here's some film of prospective DC Dennard Wilson breaking down film when he was with the eagles
He's currently on the Ravens staff

Starts at the 2:15 mark

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/vide ... 022-season
IT. IS. TIME

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Jan 2024 12:18
BF004 wrote:
30 Jan 2024 11:47
Awful tackler. Pass.
So Patrick Queen then...?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So if MacDonald gets a job, guessing Orr or Wilson would be more willing to stay in Baltimore, that might leave us with the sloppy seconds there.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
31 Jan 2024 07:00
So if MacDonald gets a job, guessing Orr or Wilson would be more willing to stay in Baltimore, that might leave us with the sloppy seconds there.
Did Weaver already get another job? Word is he's the favorite to be next in line in Baltimore, not Wilson or Orr. Also if MacDonald gets a job, he'll need a DC and staff, so one of these guys will be a favorite for that role, as well.