Jeff Hafley Packers new DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who?

Who?
30%
Fire Gute
No votes
Fire Murphy
No votes
Fire LaCoach
4%
Fire Hafley
No votes
Super Bowl
65%

Total votes: 23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Show me who said you were wrong.

I don’t believe it.

This was like the most packer thing ever.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 Feb 2024 16:58
go pak go wrote:
01 Feb 2024 16:19
Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Feb 2024 14:34

That was a strength of his in college and didn't seem to be an issue as much his first 2 seasons.
The top one was in his first two seasons.
he got turned around and lost track of the ball, happens to other good players, ffs does any player get a break with some of you :thwap:
Right. But Savage isn't a good player.

He has the talent. But he isn't a good player. He helped contribute to ending two Packers seasons because of him not making play in the playoffs when a play was there to be made.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Papa John wrote:
01 Feb 2024 17:33
Yoop wrote:
01 Feb 2024 16:55
Papa John wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, Savage should have been let go after dropping that INT in the SF game.
how about right after the 60 plus yard pick 6 against dallas, that way he wouldn't have been around for that pick drop against the niners, just saying good players drop easy catches too, how about tae's drop in the ez of a po game? no one id perfect, and Savage is a better player then Brady allowed him to be, last season under Pettine he was one of the best last part of season.

just struggles in cover 1
I am willing to compromise and retain him as a reserve player, but honestly, if an NFL safety struggles that much in Cover 1, why the hell is he a safety? I've always wondered this.

I am becoming more convinced that football IQ, and not measurables, is the primary determining factor in whether an NFL safety will be successful. Doesn't matter how fast or quick twitch the guy is, if he is too slow upstairs, that extra second he will have to take to process information in real time is going to negate any physical advantage that he had.

This applies to Savage IMO, I just think he lacks the football IQ to succeed in this league.
And inconsistent lack of desire.

The Falcons deep throw that Savage should have picked in Atlanta this year Week 2 was RIGHT in from of me. I thought that ball was picked. It was a dumb throw. Savage was in position. I started jumping while the ball was in the air. Everyone saw it.

Except Savage pussy footed it. It was one of the worst plays I have ever seen. He just didn't want the ball. I couldn't believe it. He was over for me right in that moment.

And I loved Savage. I loved the pick. I rooted hard for him. But he just doesn't want it consistently. I saw flashes the 2nd half of the year but the dropped pick was the final swing. I lean towards moving on.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 Feb 2024 16:58
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Feb 2024 14:34

That was a strength of his in college and didn't seem to be an issue as much his first 2 seasons.
The top one was in his first two seasons.
ffs does any player get a break with some of you :thwap:
Let's pretend like I hold players' play accountable like you hold position of round drafted according to "yoop's needs list" accountable.
Yoop wrote:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Papa John wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Papa John wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, Savage should have been let go after dropping that INT in the SF game.
how about right after the 60 plus yard pick 6 against dallas, that way he wouldn't have been around for that pick drop against the niners, just saying good players drop easy catches too, how about tae's drop in the ez of a po game? no one id perfect, and Savage is a better player then Brady allowed him to be, last season under Pettine he was one of the best last part of season.

I am willing to compromise and retain him as a reserve player, but honestly, if an NFL safety struggles that much in Cover 1, why the hell is he a safety? I've always wondered this.

I am becoming more convinced that football IQ, and not measurables, is the primary determining factor in whether an NFL safety will be successful. Doesn't matter how fast or quick twitch the guy is, if he is too slow upstairs, that extra second he will have to take to process information in real time is going to negate any physical advantage that he had.

This applies to Savage IMO, I just think he lacks the football IQ to succeed in this league.
Don't worry .......... be happy. Hafley will fix all of this before the regular season starts. :kaboom:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
01 Feb 2024 19:06
Papa John wrote:
Yoop wrote:

The Falcons deep throw that Savage should have picked in Atlanta this year Week 2 was RIGHT in from of me. I thought that ball was picked. It was a dumb throw. Savage was in position. I started jumping while the ball was in the air. Everyone saw it.

Except Savage pussy footed it. It was one of the worst plays I have ever seen. He just didn't want the ball. I couldn't believe it. He was over for me right in that moment.

And I loved Savage. I loved the pick. I rooted hard for him. But he just doesn't want it consistently. I saw flashes the 2nd half of the year but the dropped pick was the final swing. I lean towards moving on.
In most situations, I don't buy the "whoever wants it more" theory. I think in general, obviously "wanting it more" can help drive motivation which can allow someone to practice and prepare for a greater period of time than they otherwise would, but when it comes to key plays like that, I don't think "wanting it more" is much of a factor. If anything, "wanting it more" can set people up to be overly aggressive in the moment or choke under the pressure.

I think if someone consistently does not make clutch plays during clutch moments, it can be a sufficient reason to move on, but in Savage's case, just the week prior he made a clutch play when the outcome was still in doubt. So I think he is hit or miss like any other normal, non-clutch player. I would probably try to get a replacement because yes, he has missed multiple clutch plays, but moreso because he just isn't that great and can be upgraded.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

If we are going to play man single high would the second safety basically be playing slot CB against spread formations? I feel like the offense would try to iso the weak link and that’d be Savage or Stokes.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lake shark wrote:
01 Feb 2024 19:28
If we are going to play man single high would the second safety basically be playing slot CB against spread formations? I feel like the offense would try to iso the weak link and that’d be Savage or Stokes.
Again, we’re talking about a maximum of like C 40%, not a full time thing.

Hafley also said that keeping two high safeties is important to the QB running game, so he was trending more toward that. It’ll be opponent dependent, hopefully.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Papa John wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Papa John wrote:

well imo most safety's struggle in single high, thats why their in such high demand, thats why we see so much cover 2 or quarters defense, Savage got a 25 ranking this season, out of probably 50 safety's that played enough snaps to be ranked, and will possibly be the highest ranked UFA Safety this off season, why people think he'll sign a vet minimum contract doesn't make sense to me, with Pettine in 2 high safety Savage did well.

that means he wont be a good fit if Haf does use a single high scheme, let him go, but it might be hard to find a better free safety, maybe Ford?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 Feb 2024 19:06
Papa John wrote:
Yoop wrote:

and you think taking plays off or passive play was unique to just Savage this season? imo it was a constant with a few different players, which includes Gary, Clark, Alexander, Smith, I'am sure there are more

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Michael Lombardi: Lafleur got the guy he wanted all along. He just had to do his due diligence, satisfy the Rooney rule, and convince Gute.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

Savage is getting a higher than vet minimum contract from some GM/HC who thinks he can be a better player in a different system. He will have option(s).

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

flapackfan wrote:
01 Feb 2024 20:36
Savage is getting a higher than vet minimum contract from some GM/HC who thinks he can be a better player in a different system. He will have option(s).
I think Savage will get $5M.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

flapackfan wrote:
He's getting $5+ million from us cause we pushed some money out to him. So for the first year he could take minimum and then whatever he thinks he could get after. Might be interested in doing a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option for him. Food for thought.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Trudge wrote:
01 Feb 2024 20:52
flapackfan wrote:
He's getting $5+ million from us cause we pushed some money out to him. So for the first year he could take minimum and then whatever he thinks he could get after. Might be interested in doing a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option for him. Food for thought.
That's a really good point. He's going to cost almost $5.5 on the 2024 cap if he isn't on the roster.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Feb 2024 21:04
Trudge wrote:
flapackfan wrote:
That's a really good point. He's going to cost almost $5.5 on the 2024 cap if he isn't on the roster.
Another bad contract by Gute. He said today he has no problem back loading contracts for big cap hits later. We'll, now Bak and Savage alone will cost like $25 million against the cap and not even be on the team.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Trudge wrote:
flapackfan wrote:
What we owe him has already been paid to him in a prorated signing bonus.

If we sign him to a deal it will be money on top of the cap space we still owe.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I hope we ship Bakh off to the Birmingham stallions
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Check out this high quality SI article.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/pac ... eff-hafley

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

2018 OSU Defense - 53rd, 25.5 points per game
2019 OSU Defense - 4th, 13.7 points per game
2020 OSU Defense - 44th, 25.8 points per game

2019 Boston College Defense - 101st, 32.2 points per game
2020 Boston College Defense - 60th, 28.4 points per game
2021 Boston College Defense - 31st, 22.2 points per game
2022 Boston College Defense - 100th, 30.3 points per game
2023 Boston College Defense - 86th, 28.3 points per game
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."