Waaaaay too early 2024 GBP Roster

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

It’ll be interesting to see if Winfield Jr. becomes available.

The Bucs have approximately $38m in cap space but they have multiple big name FA players to consider:

Baker Mayfield
Mike Evans
Antoine Winfield Jr
Devon White
Lavonte David

My guess is they lock him up long term but you never know.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Here's my first crack, just off the cuff. Will give it more thought later.

I wanted to have the names more than comply with the 53 man roster. And some positions have tbd draft picks listed too, in areas we would expect Guty to pick someone he values. More to come.

CB
Jaire Alexander
Eric Stokes
Carrington Valentine
Anthony Johnson Jr.
Corey Ballentine
Draft pick tbd
Keishon Nixon

DLine
Colby Wooden DE
Kenny Clark DT
Devonte Wyatt DT
Tedarrell Slaton DT
Karl Brooks DT
Draft pick tbd

ILB
De'Vondre Campbell ILB
Quay Walker ILB
Isaiah McDuffie ILB
draft pick tbd

OLB
Preston Smith OLB
Rashan Gary OLB
Lukas Van Ness OLB
Kingsley Enagbare OLB
Brenton Cox Jr. LB

S
Darnell Savage
Rudy Ford
Anthony Johnson Jr.
FA Safety tbd
Draft pick tbd

QB
Jordan Love
Sean Clifford

RB
Aaron Jones
draft pick tbd

OLine
Josh Myers C
Elgton Jenkins G
Royce Newman G
Sean Rhyan T
Zach Tom T
Rasheed Walker T
David Bakhtiari LT
draft pick tbd

TE
Luke Musgrave TE
Tucker Kraft TE
Ben Sims TE

WR
Christian Watson WR
Jayden Reed WR
Romeo Doubs WR
Draft pick tbd
Dontayvion Wicks WR
Malik Heath WR
Grant DuBose WR

ST
Anders Carlson K
Whalen P
tbd LS
Last edited by Scott4Pack on 02 Feb 2024 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
02 Feb 2024 16:31
It’ll be interesting to see if Winfield Jr. becomes available.

The Bucs have approximately $38m in cap space but they have multiple big name FA players to consider:

Baker Mayfield
Mike Evans
Antoine Winfield Jr
Devon White
Lavonte David

My guess is they lock him up long term but you never know.
Mike Evans one of the few WRs I would love. Get a guy on a short deal while we still need that guy, HOF guys chasing a ring.

Evans and Derrick Henry and a Safety in FA is a perfect offseason, then just all bpa in the draft.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

mnkcarp wrote:
02 Feb 2024 16:18
BF004 wrote:
02 Feb 2024 16:15
In my defense, I always refuse to rewatch anything from heartbreaking losses.
Me too.
Me three!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
02 Feb 2024 17:31
Here's my first crack, just off the cuff. Will give it more thought later.

I wanted to have the names more than comply with the 53 man roster. And some positions have tbd draft picks listed too, in areas we would expect Guty to pick someone he values. More to come.

CB
Jaire Alexander
Eric Stokes
Carrington Valentine
Anthony Johnson Jr.
Corey Ballentine
Draft pick tbd

DLine
Colby Wooden DE
Kenny Clark DT
Devonte Wyatt DT
Tedarrell Slaton DT
Karl Brooks DT
Draft pick tbd

ILB
De'Vondre Campbell ILB
Quay Walker ILB
Isaiah McDuffie ILB
draft pick tbd

OLB
Preston Smith OLB
Rashan Gary OLB
Lukas Van Ness OLB
Kingsley Enagbare OLB
Brenton Cox Jr. LB

S
Darnell Savage
Rudy Ford
Anthony Johnson Jr.
FA Safety tbd
Draft pick tbd

QB
Jordan Love
Sean Clifford

RB
Aaron Jones
draft pick tbd

OLine
Josh Myers C
Elgton Jenkins G
Royce Newman G
Sean Rhyan T
Zach Tom T
Rasheed Walker T
David Bakhtiari LT
draft pick tbd

TE
Luke Musgrave TE
Tucker Kraft TE
Ben Sims TE

WR
Christian Watson WR
Jayden Reed WR
Romeo Doubs WR
Draft pick tbd
Dontayvion Wicks WR
Malik Heath WR
Grant DuBose WR

ST
Anders Carlson K
Whalen P
tbd LS
Would you please put Nixon on the list before my newly installed insertable cardiac monitor goes into random oscillations? Use an asterisk if it makes you feel better. :shock:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

NCF wrote:
02 Feb 2024 10:46
Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Feb 2024 20:56
I'd like to mess around this weekend and predict the next roster.
All the power to you. That is a pretty bold undertaking before FA or The Draft.
Just for fun. Nothing very analytical. You guys can do the analysis. I'm just messing around.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
02 Feb 2024 21:02
NCF wrote:
02 Feb 2024 10:46
Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Feb 2024 20:56
I'd like to mess around this weekend and predict the next roster.
All the power to you. That is a pretty bold undertaking before FA or The Draft.
Just for fun. Nothing very analytical. You guys can do the analysis. I'm just messing around.
I gave you the list, get after it!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

BF004 wrote:
lake shark wrote:
02 Feb 2024 15:14
BF004 wrote:
02 Feb 2024 15:04

Man I would love him.

I credit him probably more than anyone on the Bucs when they beat us in 2020 (after King and Pettine). Talk about a tone setter and a guy you’d want playing in December/January in Lambeau. Absolute dog.
He must’ve been pretty inspiring for his teammates from the sidelines considering he didn’t play
Man, that is embarrassing. That was Jordan Whitehead on that big hit on Jones (not as big a hit as I recall). Don't drink and watch kids. In my defense, I always refuse to rewatch anything from heartbreaking losses.
All good man! I also never rewatch the gutwrencher losses.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
02 Feb 2024 18:42
mnkcarp wrote:
BF004 wrote:
In my defense, I always refuse to rewatch anything from heartbreaking losses.
Me too.
Me three!
I've never been able to rewatch any part of Super Bowl XXXII.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I want to start with our Safety group.

Looking at our new DC Hefley, everybody is looking at the Packers suddenly wanting to go after a great centerfield type of ranger. Yeah, he's going to call more single high looks than Joe Barry ever dreamed of in three years. But we still had a need at Safety before our season ended. The need hasn't changed. But maybe the TYPE of need has changed.

Look at our group now.

Darnell Savage
Rudy Ford
Anthony Johnson Jr.
Jonathan Owens
Zayne Anderson

Of that group, perhaps Savage could fill that role adequately, but more people seem to like him closer to the LOS. I don't. I want a heftier Safety close up. Even so, I think he will stick. The coaching staff have seen his highs and lows. They will believe him to still be an ascending player and a potential leader in this group. That said, I wonder if he gets dangled as trade bait. Our youth movement is in full swing. If we end up in position to get a high grade FA Safety...

The guy that I really like, more than I ever thought I would, is Rudy Ford. He seems to be a coachable overachiever. Even so, he's picked up his game a lot before his recent injury. Ford is also experience on ST, and I bet he's okay to stay with that if it assures his roster spot. I think he's a lock for 2024.

Anthony Johnson Jr has caught attention of some. Will he improve to the point of becoming that ranger on the back end? I need you guys to tell me more about him. But I do think the Packers believe he hasn't yet reached his ceiling and needs more snaps to do that. He will stick.

Jonathan Owens is an up and down guy. He's a good athlete but needs better instincts. I don't know if he sticks in 2024. I actually like him enough. But he will face the fiercest competition that he's ever had. I just don't know that he sticks.

And Zayne Anderson is a guy that I haven't paid attention to. In his limited number of snaps, I don't recall a single play where he had impact. Another developmental guy, for sure. But past performance doesn't give confidence he will be with us again.

Next, we need to discuss a potential FA Safety. Guty dangled the idea that they could use some cap space to obtain a viable starter. I don't know that he identified the Safety position as a spot for that. But PackerNation is salivating at the thought. So am I. I want a captain of our defense who resembles Collins, Butler, or even Robinson. Someone who is sure to nab everything overthrown and to be a sure tackler, with enough speed to chase anything. It seems there are some good options available this year, as you guys have discussed.

I think Guty is almost sure to draft a Safety. There should be some good options there too. I'll leave it to the mock drafts to consider them.

But look at the COMPETITION that Guty has spoken of more than ever this year. And then look at whether there might be TWO new impact players (one FA and one draft pick) on the back end. If that occurs, nothing is a given. Nothing. It won't just be about who plays best, but who plays best as a UNIT.

A bonus thought. I think Hefley's scheme will require every one of our Safeties to be reliable in covering the TEs and RBs. Good coverage skills will feed this scheme. If any of those guys (Owens? Savage?) don't fit the bill, maybe that works against them.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

williewasgreat wrote:
03 Feb 2024 04:18
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
02 Feb 2024 18:42
mnkcarp wrote:

Me too.
Me three!
I've never been able to rewatch any part of Super Bowl XXXII.
I have a hard time remembering that, who was in it?
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Here's a look at all the free agent safeties that, for now, are available.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/safety/all/
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I wonder about taking a flyer on Jeff Okudah.

His one year with Hafley he turned him into a
Top 10 draft pick.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
02 Feb 2024 18:48
Christian Watson WR
Jayden Reed WR
Romeo Doubs WR
Draft pick tbd
Dontayvion Wicks WR
Malik Heath WR
Grant DuBose WR
Here is a look at the WR group.

First, I have a hard time thinking that Guty would not use a 3rd, 4th, or at least a 5th round pick on a WR. It's in his blood. And he's good at it. So, I am starting with the idea that there'll be another rookie in the mix here. If Evans wanted to sign, that'd be exciting. But where to put the guy...

Another condition is that I have a hard time thinking that one of these guys won't have a significant injury before the end of TC. Statistically, I just see that happening. I hope not. But let's pray they all stay healthy.

Now, I think the easiest thing is to say that Reed, Doubs, Watson, and Wicks will get first crack at all the snaps. Heath and DuBose show a lot of promise. But I wouldn't say they have first chance, even if they have outstanding TC.

And let's get this out of the way already. The Pack will NOT draft Marvin Harrison Jr. Period. But, if they do, that'd be the biggest surprise ever in a Packer draft that I can think of.

I see the playbook developing more for all of these guys. Their confidence is very high. They will get their chances with JLove this summer. And the HC will open the playbook more than he ever did in 2023.

I think I saw a stat that said that the #1 WR in the entire NFL of distance of separation was Wicks. Maybe somebody can double check me on that. But I can really see this guy ascending more and more. Maybe he becomes our WR1, if not in 2024, then 2025.

I am hopeful that Watson does everything possible to stay healthy in 2024. He needs it. The Packers need it too. If so, he would be hard to stop.

Last year cemented the idea that Doubs is a big play WR. Just too many examples.

And who would ever consider that Reed won't gain a big part of the playbook too.

Those guys will all stick. Period.

Heath and DuBose will be on the outside looking in. The would-be rookie too. But they have PS eligibility, I think.

Once more, they'll talk about whether the Pack keeps 7 WRs on the roster. There's just too much talent there. I can't imagine any guys getting traded. And I don't see Guty claiming a FA WR either. So, I think our WR group for 2024 is already a known quantity.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
03 Feb 2024 14:00

Top 10 draft pick.
Lots of HCs, DCs, and OCs bring "their guys" when moving to another team. Any chance that Hefley sees Okudah that way? Are there any other guys in the league that played for him in college?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Luke Musgrave
Tucker Kraft
Ben Sims
Josiah Deguara (sort of)
For the TE group, I think the only question is whether the Pack would squeeze one more TE into this group. Deguara is not used much as a TE as he is usually more of a blocker. But if a special athlete as TE pops up, I could imagine them adding the guy or possibly letting go of Sims or Deguara.

Question: Have Kraft and Musgrave learned blocking well enough that Deguara becomes expendable? I'm talking about ability to block and nothing else for this question. I could imagine him being traded for a mid or low level draft pick or part of a package on draft weekend. I'll have to put that into a mock draft soon!

I think that Sims is a guy who has been faithful to do the dirty work or whatever is called out to him. Just a good utility guy. And as TE3, he fits that role really well. Just enough athleticism. Just good enough blocking and route running. Work him on ST too. I think he sticks.

Musgrave and Kraft 100% are back unless one gets hurt. They are about sharing the TE1 role this year. And they'll probably make TE1 and TE2 the same thing.

I don't imagine them drafting a TE unless he's a high ceiling developmental guy.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Feb 2024 14:29
BF004 wrote:
03 Feb 2024 14:00

Top 10 draft pick.
Lots of HCs, DCs, and OCs bring "their guys" when moving to another team. Any chance that Hefley sees Okudah that way? Are there any other guys in the league that played for him in college?
Isiah McDuffie :aok:

Think I had seen he was the only defender to be drafted during his tenure.

Chase Young I’m guessing will be an FA this offseason, sounds like he was a bit in the SF doghouse.

Wouldn’t be a bad add for cheap, needing some snaps still Enegbare is healthy. And who knows, does have that huge ceiling.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Feb 2024 14:35
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Luke Musgrave
Tucker Kraft
Ben Sims
Josiah Deguara (sort of)
For the TE group, I think the only question is whether the Pack would squeeze one more TE into this group. Deguara is not used much as a TE as he is usually more of a blocker. But if a special athlete as TE pops up, I could imagine them adding the guy or possibly letting go of Sims or Deguara.

Question: Have Kraft and Musgrave learned blocking well enough that Deguara becomes expendable? I'm talking about ability to block and nothing else for this question. I could imagine him being traded for a mid or low level draft pick or part of a package on draft weekend. I'll have to put that into a mock draft soon!

I think that Sims is a guy who has been faithful to do the dirty work or whatever is called out to him. Just a good utility guy. And as TE3, he fits that role really well. Just enough athleticism. Just good enough blocking and route running. Work him on ST too. I think he sticks.

Musgrave and Kraft 100% are back unless one gets hurt. They are about sharing the TE1 role this year. And they'll probably make TE1 and TE2 the same thing.

I don't imagine them drafting a TE unless he's a high ceiling developmental guy.
Deguara is an FA so I'd just let him walk. The kids get open and they block, Degaura hasn't shown anything in four years.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Cdragon wrote:
03 Feb 2024 15:49
Deguara is an FA so I'd just let him walk. The kids get open and they block, Degaura hasn't shown anything in four years.
MLF really values the FB role for his offense. And when Deguara was out injured, he elevated Henry Pearson to cover that spot - despite having multiple TEs available. Josiah D played 220 snaps on STs and another 196 on offense. If you sign Deguara to a vet minimum deal, that's $1.125M per season, if you go with Henry Pearson he gets $915K for 2024 and $985K for 2025. So the cash savings are negligible

You can try to keep Pearson on PS, elevate him 3X and then put him on the 53. Pearson could get poached, but that seems unlikely.
Deguara is a better FB and a better STs guy than Pearson and for the small difference in $$ - you give Bisaccia an experienced guy and MLF a player that knows the offense inside out. We'll see what happens in March.
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

I suspect GB will also consider bringing back Tyler Davis if he's recovered from his August ACL injury
He'll be 11 months into his recovery when TC starts and was really starting to show something. Packers had high hopes for his 2023 campaign

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022 ... an-deguara

" TE Tyler Davis has the real possibility being TE1 this year. He's gotten praise from Gutekunst, Bisaccia, and Lafleur multiple times this off season! Excited to see what he can bring to the table this year!"

Musgrave/Kraft/Sims/Davis and maybe Deguara at FB gives you the ST snaps you need while giving MLF plenty to work with on offense
IT. IS. TIME