Jeff Hafley Packers new DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who?

Who?
30%
Fire Gute
No votes
Fire Murphy
No votes
Fire LaCoach
4%
Fire Hafley
No votes
Super Bowl
65%

Total votes: 23

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Madcity_matt wrote:
03 Feb 2024 09:26
Foosball wrote:
02 Feb 2024 17:32
I think one of the reasons MLF went young and unproven as opposed to an established vet coach is he wants to create a coaching tree legacy.

Like Holmgren: Gruden, Reid, Mooch, etc. Also Mike Shanahan left a coaching legacy.

Unfortunately for LaFleur, at least so far, he hasn’t been creating one.

Nathaniel Hackett was fired after one year as a HC and now is kind of looked upon as a joke. The punchline being that when Rodgers retires he’ll be out of a job.

Getty was fired from the Bears as OC.

Hopefully Tim Lester will be successful at Iowa.

Can’t think of anyone else off the top of my head.

MLF is still young and if he wins a SB, it will offer opportunities for his staff to advance in their careers and LaFleur will leave his legacy. Let’s hope that happens.
I don't think of Hafley as either young or inexperienced. Respectfully, I don't think creating a legacy is on his mind at all. You create a legacy by having sustained success. IMO the hire is who gives the GBP the best chance to win.
Holmgren's legacy was forever marred with the freakin effen Super Bowl 32 loss. What a shame.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

NCF wrote:
01 Feb 2024 10:19
lupedafiasco wrote:
01 Feb 2024 09:49
If he turns that around I'm all in. I will say Im not a fan of man coverage or single high. I used to love man but I think NFL offenses and QBs have just gotten too good.
Yes, on the tackling. God God, get that better, please. On man and single high, I agree, but I also disagree with never using it. Have to mix it in. Have to use it situationally. Have to use it if the strengths of your team dictate it or if the weaknesses of the other team dictate it. Just be adaptable.
Yes!
“Be adaptable”
And do not be so damn predictable

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

lake shark wrote:
01 Feb 2024 19:28
If we are going to play man single high would the second safety basically be playing slot CB against spread formations? I feel like the offense would try to iso the weak link and that’d be Savage or Stokes.
Offenses are built on taking advantage of every weak link etc. irregardless of D scheme there are always weak links.

Stokes is a pure cover guy with great speed, never an inside physical guy.

I am not throwing savage out yet. Coaches need to be able To get the most out of their players. He has shown flashes, and we need veteran safeties like we need cheese

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
03 Feb 2024 10:44
Madcity_matt wrote:
Foosball wrote:
I think one of the reasons MLF went young and unproven as opposed to an established vet coach is he wants to create a coaching tree legacy.

Like Holmgren: Gruden, Reid, Mooch, etc. Also Mike Shanahan left a coaching legacy.

Nathaniel Hackett was fired after one year as a HC and now is kind of looked upon as a joke. The punchline being that when Rodgers retires he’ll be out of a job.

MLF is still young and if he wins a SB, it will offer opportunities for his staff to advance in their careers and LaFleur will leave his legacy. Let’s hope that happens.
I don't think of Hafley as either young or inexperienced. Respectfully, I don't think creating a legacy is on his mind at all. You create a legacy by having sustained success. IMO the hire is who gives the GBP the best chance to win.
Holmgren's legacy was forever marred with the freakin effen Super Bowl 32 loss. What a shame.
Mike Holmgrens legacy to the rest of the world is not as marred! Lol
Great reputation! Won lots of games. He helped make #4 a HOF

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Madcity_matt wrote:
Foosball wrote:

? I never mentioned he was inexperienced. Hafley is not established and proven like Mike Zimmer, wink Martindale, or Leslie Frazier (all are older). He has not called plays in the NFL. He is unproven in the NFL. Hopefully he succeeds and if he does more than likely he will get a head coach opportunity. However, if he fails then the Packers wasted years while on the other side of the ball, the offense is ready to roll now.

What is best for the team’s immediate success?
Love is the answer…

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The source reporting that we offered to Orr before Hafley is a national source and one who is widely seen as a very credible one, so I am going to take it as true. I mean, if he was good enough to get the job in Baltimore, coaches much think very highly of him.

It is somewhat disappointing to miss out on our top DC choice again, as likely happened with Leonhard.

That said, I feel like Hafley checks more boxes for what I wanted at DC than Orr did, and that there were many more good choices this time than last so it does not sting nearly as much to have to "settle" for Hafley.

I mean last time the only good choice after Leonhard was Evero. This time we interviewed like three other guys who've been hired as DCs.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Hafley favors Cover 1 and 4 down lineman. If he doesn't think he has the personnel he'll have to smartly adapt.

Do the Packers have a Cover 1 defensive back that can be trusted over the course of the season?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

JKB wrote:
03 Feb 2024 15:54
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
03 Feb 2024 10:44
Madcity_matt wrote:

Mike Holmgrens legacy to the rest of the world is not as marred! Lol
Great reputation! Won lots of games. He helped make #4 a HOF
Holmgren actually knew how to scheme a short yardage goal line offense. He would SPREAD out the OLine. The D had to respond in kind. There was always a hole for the RBs to run for a TD. Worked every time. And I don't know a HC/OC who does that any more.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Foosball wrote:
03 Feb 2024 18:01
Madcity_matt wrote:
Foosball wrote:

? I never mentioned he was inexperienced. Hafley is not established and proven like Mike Zimmer, wink Martindale, or Leslie Frazier (all are older). He has not called plays in the NFL. He is unproven in the NFL. Hopefully he succeeds and if he does more than likely he will get a head coach opportunity. However, if he fails then the Packers wasted years while on the other side of the ball, the offense is ready to roll now.

Barry was experienced/established... Personally I would have been pissed if we went with Zimmer or Frazier.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
03 Feb 2024 18:46
The source reporting that we offered to Orr before Hafley is a national source and one who is widely seen as a very credible one, so I am going to take it as true. I mean, if he was good enough to get the job in Baltimore, coaches much think very highly of him.

It is somewhat disappointing to miss out on our top DC choice again, as likely happened with Leonhard.

That said, I feel like Hafley checks more boxes for what I wanted at DC than Orr did, and that there were many more good choices this time than last so it does not sting nearly as much to have to "settle" for Hafley.

I mean last time the only good choice after Leonhard was Evero. This time we interviewed like three other guys who've been hired as DCs.
The source was not national...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Feb 2024 21:45
Foosball wrote:
03 Feb 2024 18:01
Madcity_matt wrote:

Barry was experienced/established... Personally I would have been pissed if we went with Zimmer or Frazier.
Barry was not proven to be successful. Quite the opposite
Love is the answer…

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
02 Feb 2024 12:14
All in all, he can't be worse than Barry. Can he? Optimistic that at the very least we'll see more attacking style and more turnovers.
Actually he (and any of the other alternatives ) could be worse. Barry was halfway decent at the end of the season and the Boys game although we don't know whether it was because MFL read him the riot act or his own doing.

But I totally agree on attacking and more turnovers. Whether a D allows a score on 3 plays or 12 makes no difference. Forcing a punt makes a difference but then your O often has 80 yards to score. Getting a turnover and giving the O a short field makes a big difference. A Defense can be 32nd in the league in every other stat but if they are 1st in turnovers the team is going to win a lot of games.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

APB wrote:
02 Feb 2024 14:46
Any word since Hafley's hiring regarding the rest of the defensive staff? Is he bringing in any of his own guys?
I’ll answer my own question:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
04 Feb 2024 09:20
APB wrote:
02 Feb 2024 14:46
Any word since Hafley's hiring regarding the rest of the defensive staff? Is he bringing in any of his own guys?
I’ll answer my own question:

Heard you, went looking for this and couldn't find it at Packers.com

Sounds like Montgomery has interviews from several teams, thing is Hafley knows a lot of coaches, and probably wants to also do some coaching interviews, doubt he'll have trouble finding good replacements

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Labrev wrote:
03 Feb 2024 18:46

It seems unlikely that Orr was offered the job. After all, it was on 30th January that the Packers requested to interview him, it was 31st January when Halfley accepted the job, and 1st February when Orr was appointed DC at Baltimore.

When was Orr interviewed? I don't see a window when he could have been. Was he offered the job without an interview? Unlikely. What would be the point? If he couldn't/wouldn't come for an interview because he was going to be offered the Ravens job, then they would know there was no point offering him the Packers job.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

We had no shot in hell at getting Orr. That guy is a Raven through and through. When no one gave him a shot as a player the Ravens did. When he got hurt and no one wanted him as a player they brought him into the organization as an analyst. Then they promoted him every chance they got.

That guy is eternally grateful to that org and that’s the kind of guy you want.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Feb 2024 14:00
We had no shot in hell at getting Orr. That guy is a Raven through and through. When no one gave him a shot as a player the Ravens did. When he got hurt and no one wanted him as a player they brought him into the organization as an analyst. Then they promoted him every chance they got.

Said the same earlier, about any Baltimore staff. If they were offered DC in Baltimore or Seattle, it was a done deal. Maybe if MacDonald said he’s calling plays and then maybe GB would have made sense.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Feb 2024 14:00

Agreed. Nothing short of Harbaugh getting canned and the incoming staff refusing to keep him was going to move Orr from the Ravens.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!