Safety

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Safety

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Kinchens, Nubin, Moore, Bullock, Vaki. Hicks, Bullard, Bishop, Smith, Blade .........
Or some TBD veteran.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 04 Feb 2024 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I think both, if the right one in the draft falls to us. For once, I think that Guty is intentional this year to go hunting for a Safety on the FA or trade market. Probably the most pivotal position that we must improve on the entire team.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Typically when we have gf league wide weaknesses at a position Gutenbumst is very aggressive. Almost overly aggressive to fix it.

I’m expecting a vet FA and 2 rookies to be added this off-season.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Feb 2024 16:11
Typically when we have gf league wide weaknesses at a position Gutenbumst is very aggressive. Almost overly aggressive to fix it.

Yeah. My NON-expert, outsider opinion is that we bring in two Safeties, for sure. Maybe draft one and FA another? But if the talent falls our way, three would be fine. Increase the competition in that group in a big way.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

lupedafiasco wrote:

You keep the bum but I think your warming up :aok:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
04 Feb 2024 16:17
lupedafiasco wrote:

I’ve typed it so many parts my phone autocorrects to Gutenbumst.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Feb 2024 16:19
Backthepack4ever wrote:
04 Feb 2024 16:17
lupedafiasco wrote:

I’ve typed it so many parts my phone autocorrects to Gutenbumst.
:rotf:

I can't share some of the "auto" my phone does

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I think adding a high pick is enough. I like Ford and Owen's, actually. Need that fast and instictive center fielder, though, like Collins.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly aside from Savage, the crew we have now can all be retained at basically vet min. Ford and Owens can stick with us through camp at really no additional cost and battle for their spots with the newcomers, so I don't think whether or not we keep them impacts our acquisitions.

I'd really like to see Nubin high and Tykee Smith in the 3rd/4th range from the draft. Then sign maybe a Jordan Fuller--he's a team captain type who played with the Rams and was under our DC when they were both at Ohio St. That means he knows the schemes and the general philosophy and the coach--plus he's proven to be a capable starter-level guy in the NFL. Nothing special or flashy or expensive, but a really good presence to bring in. I'm fine with some of the other FA suggestions that have been made around the board, as well. But Fuller is my favorite fit right now.

A room with Fuller, Nubin, Tykee Smith, year 2 AJJ, and one of our current safeties (Savage, Ford, or Owens) would go a long way toward solidifying the position and having depth/ST ability there, too.

Of course, if instead we go out and sign a real higher-level kind of player, I wouldn't complain. But I think with the draft capital we have, we can be ballin' on a budget there and still significantly improve.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Tyler Nubin, Minnesota. Second round - 6'2" 210 Strong safety ideal to cover tight ends. Good tackler

Malik Mustapha Wake Forrest - 4th round 5'10" 210 4.35 speed.

Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 59. He wrote: "The 5-10, 205 junior is a 1,300-pound lifter (that includes his bench, squat and clean) and has vertical-jumped 36 1/2 inches this offseason. He also plays really, really fast, having hit 23 MPH on the GPS in a game."
Is athletic enough to play just about any style of coverage and dominate. Mustapha typically lines up in press, where Mustapha has the quick, powerful hands to disrupt receivers at the line of scrimmage.

Backups: Savage and Anthony Johnson JR.

The only question I have is whether Mustapha is a better fit in the slot

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
05 Feb 2024 09:14
Tyler Nubin, Minnesota. Second round - 6'2" 210 Strong safety ideal to cover tight ends. Good tackler

Malik Mustapha Wake Forrest - 4th round 5'10" 210 4.35 speed.

Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 59. He wrote: "The 5-10, 205 junior is a 1,300-pound lifter (that includes his bench, squat and clean) and has vertical-jumped 36 1/2 inches this offseason. He also plays really, really fast, having hit 23 MPH on the GPS in a game."
Is athletic enough to play just about any style of coverage and dominate. Mustapha typically lines up in press, where Mustapha has the quick, powerful hands to disrupt receivers at the line of scrimmage.

Backups: Savage and Anthony Johnson JR.

The only question I have is whether Mustapha is a better fit in the slot
I don't think you bring back Savage to be a backup to two rookies.

But I do like Nubin and I also like Mustapha as a Day 3 - shoot for the moon guy.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Savage isn't going to sign a blockbuster deal, but he is going to make some money on this next contract. He was good early, regressed and our DC was just let go. Physically he has pretty much all the tools you'd want to play the position. Either this team or another team is still going to bet on a young guy with those skills who had a history of playing much better than he's looked recently on an underperforming unit with a newly fired DC.

So he's not going to be brought back to be the back up. not intentionally anyway

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

musclestang wrote:
05 Feb 2024 09:39
Savage isn't going to sign a blockbuster deal, but he is going to make some money on this next contract. He was good early, regressed and our DC was just let go. Physically he has pretty much all the tools you'd want to play the position. Either this team or another team is still going to bet on a young guy with those skills who had a history of playing much better than he's looked recently on an underperforming unit with a newly fired DC.

So he's not going to be brought back to be the back up. not intentionally anyway
It is my impression but maybe I am wrong. Anyway it seems to me that the Packers have a 5 mil cap hit and 5 mil in dead cap if they lose him. So if you have to pay him the same whether you keep him or cut him, why not keep him? Or resign him and move some of that cap hit into the future.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we top about a 12 team list that desperately need improvement at the safety position, obviously that will drive up the cost of market safeties as well as cause a over draft situation in this coming draft.

cause and affect insures this, it's become a dink and dunk league, defenses can no longer Vic Fangio this situation any longer, aggression is the order to combat the up tempo quick strike offenses we are seeing now, defenses can no longer play 2 high safety and expect to cover all the under neath passing or the run, the front 7 has now become the front 8, just my opinions.

with that in mind we could see a draft pick traded for a vet safety, actually I expect that to happen

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
05 Feb 2024 10:14
musclestang wrote:
05 Feb 2024 09:39

It is my impression but maybe I am wrong. Anyway it seems to me that the Packers have a 5 mil cap hit and 5 mil in dead cap if they lose him. So if you have to pay him the same whether you keep him or cut him, why not keep him? Or resign him and move some of that cap hit into the future.
He gets 5.3 mil no matter what is how I understood it, if he plays for us we have to pay him more, so considering that, who knows :idn:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Savage got all his money last year. We paid him all we owe him. We just haven’t counted it on the books yet.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We have to pay Savage at least Vet minimum in 2024. So the very least we could sign him for is a cap hit of $6,371,800 on a 1 year deal. If it is a Multi-year deal, it would be a minimum cap hit of $1,364,200 each year plus veteran minimum, 5 years out. He has all the money from his previous contract, however the cap hits from void years are on the books though 2028 if we kept him that long.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Feb 2024 10:35
We have to pay Savage at least Vet minimum in 2024. So the very least we could sign him for is a cap hit of $6,371,800 on a 1 year deal. If it is a Multi-year deal, it would be a minimum cap hit of $1,364,200 each year plus veteran minimum, 5 years out. He has all the money from his previous contract, however the cap hits form void years are on the books.
This is correct.

Good explanation of how VOID years work.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Savage isn't going to play anywhere for vet minimum, so if thats all we intend to offer he's gone, and thats fine, he doesn't fit on top because he's to slow to react, and he lacks the instincts, and lacks the physicality to play in the box against the run.

thing is half the league still plays a lot of cover 2 or quarters, and he does OK in those schemes, best to just trade a pick for a vet FS, and use owens, in the box, he's a tackling machine, and draft another safety in round 2 or 3

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
05 Feb 2024 10:45
he's to slow to react, and he lacks the instincts, and lacks the physicality to play in the box against the run.
You used to bash me for saying this.