2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

There -is- a such thing as having too many good players at any position.

At some point, you end up losing value from the good players you have because you don't have enough snaps/touches to feed everyone adequately, and you put yourself in a situation where you cannot re-sign someone these guys when they become FAs as they truly hit their stride.

If MHJ is there, you take him, because he's a gamebreaker. Otherwise I'd just pass on all WRs until late Day 3.
Last edited by Labrev on 20 Feb 2024 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
20 Feb 2024 07:12
lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Feb 2024 22:50
Backthepack4ever wrote:
19 Feb 2024 20:52
Anybody look into Jerry rices kid Brendan? He's a dawg. Good size clocked a 23mph speed last year and just makes big plays. I'm sure he goes top 100 but if he slips to day 3 I would give him a look. He's a different body type we don't have. Explosive athlete and of course the bloodlines
What’s the purpose? You have 5 dawgs already. Wicks, Reed, Watson, Doubs, Melton. Plus Dubose and Heath batting in camp plus a deep group of tight ends in Musgrave, Kraft, Sims, and Tyler Davis.

No reason to get a player at a position group already so deep when we have a lot that need help. Even with the plethora of picks we have we have a lot of short term and long term needs to be filled and WR isn’t one of them. It’s not even in the top 10.
No disagreement that we have a nice young group of guys. I think the group is strong but the reason you might do this if you think the prospect is better then your squad.

Like I said in the post it's day 3. IF Rice is the highest valued guy on your board it's a mistake to not take him. If your plugging for needs this late and skipping on the best talent your missing. We don't get guys like Brooks last year if that's the case and Brooks was better then Wyatt

Again day 3 and Rice is there. (prob won't be) and GB had him rated high take the guy. He is taller and thicker then heath and way more explosive it's not even close. With Watsons injury history concerns having a big fast guy isn't a bad option. If you think this guy could possibly be a two in the future (better Doubs) you don't pass bc you have guys battling in camp.

Iron sharpens iron. If he pushes out guys bc he is better so be it. That also give value for potential trades.
I know I think differently on many subjects then most around here, and this is probably such a case, anyway I think BPA applies just as much in later rounds as it does in the early rounds, early your trying to repair weak positions, so positional drafting is a must do approach, and a GM will trade to line up value, later rounds not so much, I could easily see a WR added at some point, early we have to target positions like CB and safety, RB, and lber, key positions that we need to fortify

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Its a year too early to take a WR at all. Same with DT. Just two positions groups that are just too deep for us.

I wouldn't touch QB, WR, or DT in this class. We still need to draft at least 3 OL with the lack of depth and 2 starters that can be improved upon greatly. We need to draft at least 1 RB. We need at least 2 safeties. We need at least 1 CB. We need 1 edge IMO with how old Smith is, Enagbare likely out for most of the year, and not much else. We need at least 2 LBs IMO if we cut Campbell.

No reason to blow picks when we have a lot of other places with depth needed. We are coming off back-to-back seasons where we drafted 3 WRs and brought in some nice off through free agency to fill out the back end.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Feb 2024 09:10
Its a year too early to take a WR at all. Same with DT. Just two positions groups that are just too deep for us.

I wouldn't touch QB, WR, or DT in this class. We still need to draft at least 3 OL with the lack of depth and 2 starters that can be improved upon greatly. We need to draft at least 1 RB. We need at least 2 safeties. We need at least 1 CB. We need 1 edge IMO with how old Smith is, Enagbare likely out for most of the year, and not much else. We need at least 2 LBs IMO if we cut Campbell.

No reason to blow picks when we have a lot of other places with depth needed. We are coming off back-to-back seasons where we drafted 3 WRs and brought in some nice off through free agency to fill out the back end.
I really don't buy day 3 picks as blowing a pick esp if the upside is a future starter. Nobody said take a guy just bc. It's if GB really thinks this dude has the makings of being better then say Doubs as a 2. I don't care if we drafted 20 wrs the last 2 seasons. Those picks were wasted then if this guy has the makings of being better then all those guys. If he's not that's cool. Again I like are group. I'll say the same with DTs. Why do we feel our DT group is so loaded not to take a guy that potentially is better.
Clark we know what we have.
Wyatt has been nothing but a pass rusher and only flashed there at times.
Brooks. Love the dude can he hold up full time in an even front? Do you ask him to move around or change his body some to fit a position??
Slaton is a backup
Wooden. Backup that doesn't need many snaps
Ford. Barf. He might not make the team.

That's a group that if a prospect they feel can push Wyatt and slaton for snaps bc they are as good or better you add them (esp day 3)

Many were against getting an edge in this draft. I was all for adding the right pick at edge. Not just a pick but the one you think is going to be a factor over their time in GB. Justis came out and said this yesterday along with a few others the last week and now ppl are getting on board.

All hypotheticals here or course but I'm not eliminating adding to positions bc we are talented there.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

No to any QB at all, same with WR and DT, the only exception being for an absolute gamebreaker like Marvin Harrison Jr. (we have no shot at him, and no DL that I see is worth taking early).

We can fit a guy in at EDGE with Enagbare's injury, plus the usual injury issues that exist anyway, but it is not much of a need. I can understand it if there is a player who is great value at a high pick, but we can also not pick one at all and probably be fine.

I saw that from Justis about pass-rushers under Hafley but I don't think it is any more of a need with him than it was before. His scheme creates pressures from more than just the edge guys. He dials up lots of stuff from the LBs and IDL.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I have been reading up on some of the CB prospects and one that has stood out to me is Missouri’s Ennis Rakestraw Jr.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/En ... B-Missouri

Dude sounds like the exact type player the Packers are looking for in the new defensive scheme. That, and I love the name “Ennis”. Wouldn’t complain a bit to see his name called with pick 41.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I love Wiggins and Rakestraw.

Don’t think Ennis gunna be there at 41, maybe not even 25.

Small trade up for either might be required.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
21 Feb 2024 07:08

The CB class is going to be really eye-of-the-beholder among the ordering of the top 6-8 guys so he could be gone at 25 or he could be there at 41.

Usually I’d say we won’t know until after the combine and rankings solidify but I’m pretty sure this CB class will be team-specific all the way through and I’ll never have a solid guess.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Feb 2024 07:36
BF004 wrote:
21 Feb 2024 07:08

The CB class is going to be really eye-of-the-beholder among the ordering of the top 6-8 guys so he could be gone at 25 or he could be there at 41.

Usually I’d say we won’t know until after the combine and rankings solidify but I’m pretty sure this CB class will be team-specific all the way through and I’ll never have a solid guess.
Yeah, thats probably true, and pre-combine. Meant I guess more along the lines of what we know now. I think both are studs and just frequently see them mocked higher than 25 too often for us to just stay pat. Assuming one is a guy we just want.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

OK so delayed but I finally went back and caught up on several sources for Senior Bowl coverage. Some thoughts.

Some Day Three RB names I like from the Senior Bowl: Ray Davis and Rasheed Ali

EDGE sleeper to watch: Marshawn Neeland (4th/5th round?) If he bumps himself up to Day Two he’s less of a sleeper.

Interior OL guys I like
Jackson Powers-Johnson, C/G, pick 25ish
Zach Frazier, C, 41/58
Graham Barton, T convert to C/G, 41/58
Christian Hayes, G with possible C ability, 58
Beaux Limmer, C/G, Day Three (4th/5th?)

OTs that might play G for us
Jordan Morgan, 25/41
Christian Jones, round 3/4?

A safety name I’ve added: Jaylin Simpson, Auburn (a little smaller; corner convert)

A CB name I’ve added: Cam Hart, Notre Dame (a little bigger, less twitchy)

A mid level highly athletic edge prospect that could maybe fit as a SLB with blitz/rush skillset for us: Jaylen Harrell, Michigan

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
21 Feb 2024 07:54

Yeah, thats probably true, and pre-combine. Meant I guess more along the lines of what we know now. I think both are studs and just frequently see them mocked higher than 25 too often for us to just stay pat. Assuming one is a guy we just want.
Yeah. I mean I have heard a couple people say Wiggins in the best pure cover guy in the draft, could compete for CB1. I’ve heard a couple guys say Cooper Dejean is the most versatile and aware and could be in the mix for CB1. I’ve heard people say Terrion Arnold has probably passed Kool-Aid depending on team preference, and could be in the mix for CB1. And then after the Senior Bowl, a lot of people are saying now that he has shown he can and likes to press, Quinyon Mitchell is likely to be CB1.

That’s 4 guys I’ve heard people I like as evaluators say might be #1, and that doesn’t include KoolAid, who many people see anywhere from CB2 to CB5 and Rickeshaw, who I think is firmly in the CB4 to CB6 mix.

So how many go in round one? How many in the top 25? How much does our scheme affect our evaluations (track record says “not much at CB”)

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Feb 2024 07:54
corner convert
:aok:

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Muh Ennis

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I have said this for years and stand by it.

You can identify left handed QBs even if the screen is mirrored.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
21 Feb 2024 22:15
Muh Ennis

You're getting me excited for your draft crush.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I have said this for years and stand by it.

You can identify left handed QBs even if the screen is mirrored.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Feb 2024 11:55
BF004 wrote:
21 Feb 2024 22:15
Muh Ennis

You're getting me excited for your draft crush.

First clip remind you of anyone?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Something for you mockers.

A recent historical listing of the type players the Packers typically target in relation to their athletic traits:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
22 Feb 2024 12:41
Spitten image of Estus Hood :rotf:

Tramon Williams, maybe Al Harris, If Rak can press like those to, sign me up :aok:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
23 Feb 2024 08:01
BF004 wrote:
22 Feb 2024 12:41
Spitten image of Estus Hood :rotf:

Tramon Williams, maybe Al Harris, If Rak can press like those to, sign me up :aok:
I'm guessing he was referring to someone a little more current. The referenced play looks pretty familiar: