Green Bay Packers' News - 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Also, the Gary contract restructure for some cost savings is the exact sort of thing I’ve been ranting about the team not doing this year. If anyone is looking for real world examples of how the team is not yet out of the previous cap woods and are already planting the next forest.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Feb 2024 10:58
APB wrote:
27 Feb 2024 06:52
To all of you insisting Bakh has to go:

Assuming Bakhtiari is back healthy, does retaining him make the team better? Is he an upgrade, talent and performance wise?

I just wanna get some receipts for later next season when fans are complaining about Gute not making a move to make the roster better... :mrgreen:
That’s just not a viable question. The assumption of health makes no sense given the realities. You can never again assume his health. He has a fully busted knee that has appeared to be healthy on multiple occasions before getting worse and requiring maintenance.

We might as well assume Reggie White is still alive or Nick Collins is again in his healthy prime. Bakhtiari does not have two healthy knees.
:beer2:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Feb 2024 10:59
Also, the Gary contract restructure for some cost savings is the exact sort of thing I’ve been ranting about the team not doing this year. If anyone is looking for real world examples of how the team is not yet out of the previous cap woods and are already planting the next forest.
Sorry, but I am going to call you out and say it is not the same thing. There are no void years added, which was the main crux of your argument. It's essentially adding $6.2 million to his signing bonus that is stretched over a 4 year period that everyone expects he will play out. It was guaranteed on March 15th anyway. Instead of paying the full $6.2 million this March and not rolling over any money, we are paying $1.55Million each of the the next 4 seasons.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 27 Feb 2024 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Pushing everything out that can be pushed out would be ill-advised. That said, I've got little problems with moves like this. They are sprinkling a few million over several years to ease this season. The cap will continue to grow. Gary will almost certainly be here through the length of his contract.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pushing out the money isn't the problem. It just adds current flexibility.

The problem arises if we use the added flexibility with more cap expense. Otherwise any unused cap this year from the restructure will simply roll into future years.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If we cut Gary in May, we will be no better or worse off, capwise now and in the future, than we would have been had the restructure not happened.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
APB wrote:

Assuming Bakhtiari is back healthy, does retaining him make the team better? Is he an upgrade, talent and performance wise?

I just wanna get some receipts for later next season when fans are complaining about Gute not making a move to make the roster better... :mrgreen:
That’s just not a viable question. The assumption of health makes no sense given the realities. You can never again assume his health. He has a fully busted knee that has appeared to be healthy on multiple occasions before getting worse and requiring maintenance.

We might as well assume Reggie White is still alive or Nick Collins is again in his healthy prime. Bakhtiari does not have two healthy knees.
We'll know the viability of the question soon enough. I'm certain the Packers already do, or at least have a high confidence understanding of his health prognosis, one way or the other.

My point is all the clamoring for his outright release is seemingly being based (significantly anyway) upon superficial nonsense that doesn't amount to a hill of beans if he is, indeed, back to health. His social media stuff is nonsense. His "rebuilding" statements, aside from being overblown and interpreted out of context, is nonsense. The drunken podcast stuff is nonsense. The cap hit, while significant, is manageable, especially so with the larger than expected cap jump. If he is somehow restructured or - gasp! - extended, it's even more palatable.

So yeah, if David Bakhtiari, the player, is finally recovered from the injury that 95% of affected players eventually recover from, he makes the Packers team better. There is no escaping that for those so willing to both dump Bakh outright while also complaining about Gute not building the best possible roster.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
27 Feb 2024 11:16
Pushing out the money isn't the problem. It just adds current flexibility.

The problem arises if we use the added flexibility with more cap expense. Otherwise any unused cap this year from the restructure will simply roll into future years.
Well yes that’s definitely true. The move only matters if we use the saved space. I made an unwritten assumption which you have found and exposed.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Feb 2024 11:09
YoHoChecko wrote:
Sorry, but I am going to call you out and say it is not the same thing. There are no void years added, which was the main crux of your argument. It's essentially adding $6.2 million to his signing bonus that is stretched over a 4 year period that everyone expects he will play out. It was guaranteed on March 15th anyway. Instead of paying the full $6.2 million this March and not rolling over any money, we are paying $1.55Million each of the the next 4 seasons.
Bakhtiari never added void years, either. It basically makes the end of a contract unreachable because the end year cap numbers grow each time you do this. He JUST signed his deal and we’re already pushing the current money back. We’re making it harder to get a comp pick from him after this deal and probably giving him leverage to force a renegotiation earlier.

The first step is never the one that gets you in trouble. This is just emblematic of our whole approach lately; and that’s the approach that I think doesn’t serve the team’s interest at this stage.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
27 Feb 2024 11:32
YoHoChecko wrote:
APB wrote:

We'll know the viability of the question soon enough. I'm certain the Packers already do, or are at least have a high confidence understanding of his health prognosis, one way or the other.

My point is all the clamoring for his outright release is seemingly being based (significantly anyway) upon superficial nonsense that doesn't amount to a hill of beans if he is, indeed, back to health. His social media stuff is nonsense. His "rebuilding" statements, aside from being overblown and interpreted out of context, is nonsense. The drunken podcast stuff is nonsense. The cap hit, while significant, is manageable, especially so with the larger than expected cap jump. If he is somehow restructured or - gasp! - extended, it's even more palatable.

So yeah, if David Bakhtiari, the player, is finally recovered from the injury that 95% of affected players eventually recover from, he makes the Packers team better. There is no escaping that for those so willing to both dump Bakh outright while also complaining about Gute not building the best possible roster.
And MY point is that even if he goes on to play 17 games next season, it does not change the fact that his health is now a permanently-monitored gamble and maintenance issue—more than the normal players’ injury risk. He is known to be damaged in a way that impacts his availability. That cannot be assumed away

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Feb 2024 11:51
APB wrote:
27 Feb 2024 11:32
YoHoChecko wrote:

We'll know the viability of the question soon enough. I'm certain the Packers already do, or are at least have a high confidence understanding of his health prognosis, one way or the other.

And MY point is that even if he goes on to play 17 games next season, it does not change the fact that his health is now a permanently-monitored gamble and maintenance issue—more than the normal players’ injury risk. He is known to be damaged in a way that impacts his availability. That cannot be assumed away
My first paragraph addresses YOUR specific concern directly. Your's is a health related concern. I get that and even share that concern with you. But we don't know what the Packers FO, the medical staff, or what David Bakhtiari know about the current status of his expected future health, we only his health past. That's significant when making future roster decisions.

Your point also falls decidedly outside of the parameters I expressly described in the second paragraph of the quoted post. Just sayin'...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Feb 2024 11:49
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Feb 2024 11:09
YoHoChecko wrote:
Bakhtiari never added void years, either. It basically makes the end of a contract unreachable because the end year cap numbers grow each time you do this. He JUST signed his deal and we’re already pushing the current money back. We’re making it harder to get a comp pick from him after this deal and probably giving him leverage to force a renegotiation earlier.

The first step is never the one that gets you in trouble. This is just emblematic of our whole approach lately; and that’s the approach that I think doesn’t serve the team’s interest at this stage.
And Bakhtiari's situation is vastly different at this point.

Gary's contract is not unreachable. The restructure adds $1.55 million to his 2027 cap. You claim that this is exactly what you are talking about and emblematic of this situation you still believe we are in, but then claim it's just the first step and in and of itself doesn't get us into trouble. This restructure is a normal every day transaction that clears space for this year, which we needed, without adding much cap hit to his next 4 years. Had they gone the Savage route with this, then I would agree. They didn't.

Now, if they go and restructure everyone that can reasonably restructured, start adding void years to guys we are unlikely to resign, and add high priced free agents, then I will jump on your wagon.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 27 Feb 2024 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Bakhtiari has made roughly 70 million dollars since his knee injury, and has played, what ? 8 games, and people want to give him another 20 mil.

no way

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Feb 2024 13:04
Bakhtiari has made roughly 70 million dollars since his knee injury, and has played, what ? 8 games, and people want to give him another 20 mil.

no way
people also get mad at you when you suggest 70million for 8 plays is offensive and its time for him to go. Its comical.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Feb 2024 14:37
Yoop wrote:
27 Feb 2024 13:04

no way
people also get mad at you when you suggest 70million for 8 plays is offensive and its time for him to go. Its comical.
Sure would be comical, if that ever happened once as you just described it.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
27 Feb 2024 14:04
Very sad, rest in peace. :(

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Oh boy. Standby for the annual [mention]RingoCStarrQB[/mention] rant….

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

the nfl hates their fans and just sees them as addicts ready to be exploited.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Feb 2024 08:53
the nfl hates their fans and just sees them as addicts ready to be exploited.
inflation, it's all Joe Bidens fault :rotf: