2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
05 Mar 2024 08:38
I feel like Graham Barton has been our most likely pick for like a month, lol.

Lot about it always made a tons of sense.

His combine measurements tell me he is most likely a guard at the next level.
I really like Amerius Mims till I dug into his history and the reason he only starred for one season, he seems injury prone and he couldn't finish the drills at the combine with another injury, for such a big guy he sure is athletic.

I'd be fine with Barton, has versatility to play inside or out, we like those types of OL, he could walk on and take the RG spot.

I think slot 25 will go OL or CB/DB

plus that OL Lathem said he'd be tickled if the Jets would draft him so he could play with Aaron Rodgers, just that utterance probably had Guty drawing a line through his name as non electable status :rotf:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Mar 2024 07:33
I'm torn on Legette. He is exactly the type of guy I have been looking at for a while--the thicker WR who has the skills to play conventionally AND/OR be a gadget guy. Now, I think Reed is that guy for us even though he's not thicker/bigger, but I do like the profile of Legette.

But because he comes from South Carolina and because of his thickness and athleticism he's been compared to Deebo Samuel a TON and the reviews are that he's just not that guy and to hope for that guy is to get disappointed. So then you're looking at a poor man's Deebo Samuel--someone like Deebo but not as special. And what, really, is that?
I, too, had read the Deebo comparisons but, like you, I just don't see it. They're similar build-wise and come from the same school, sure, but stylistically I don't see many similarities at all. Deebo is a powerful and shifty backfield/slot/gadget type player who makes occasional plays outside. I see Legette as a thick, fleet of foot outside guy who wrecks DBs on contested balls and could make plays in the slot/out of the backfield but will primarily make his hay outside/downfield. Hence the Sterling Sharpe reference. A more current comparison would be AJ Brown, I suppose.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
05 Mar 2024 09:25
BF004 wrote:
05 Mar 2024 08:38
I feel like Graham Barton has been our most likely pick for like a month, lol.

Lot about it always made a tons of sense.

His combine measurements tell me he is most likely a guard at the next level.
I think Bartons best position is probably going to end up being C and then LG. Hes gone 3 straight years at LT and played C as a freshman for a handful of games. Still its a positions hes not refined on at the college level. I dont think that makes him worth a 1st. However in the 2nd I am in on drafting him.

From there you figure out where the biggest dropoff is between Myers or Rhyan. From what I've seen so far I dont know if you can keep Rhyan on the field. Myers is inconsistent in the run game for sure but at least he protects well. Rhyan is inconsistent everywhere but maybe year 3 things click for him.
This is sort of where I am. Which is why I like him at 41 but not 25 which means likely not getting him. He’s both exactly what we need with his G/C versatility, technical play, and toughness. But it’s also a position switch and competition on the interior OL, which isn’t the most “great use of first round value” in my books.

The marriage of maximizing value and just getting what you want/need is always a tricky balance; not to start that debate

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Nailed it
image.png
image.png (50.69 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Wanted to get a day 3 QB and a developmental edge, but didn't get value so wound up doubling up on some nice ST bodies like LBs, S, and RB

OL: Barton can play anywhere on the interior. C is his best bet. The Yale dude is a developmental OT who can play OG if it doesn't work out. Crum is an athletic specimen to develop much like we did Nijman

Secondary: Nubin is your new FS. Bullard is the nickel. Hart is outside CB depth and size. Vaki is a SS prospect to develop and a STer

Cooper is one of my favorite LBers and I added another body later. He's decent, but not my first choice of day 3 LB sleepers. Probably waited a round or two too long.

Guerendo is such an athlete and is excellent in the passing game; not sure he has the vision to be a lead back, but he can spell Jones without losing the explosive nature of the position and has great size at 221. Ali was really strong in the All Star game practices and is a guy I've liked for a while.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Stay far far away.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ohhh that’s interesting on Fiske. I’m not looking for a penetrating DT given what we’ve got, but he seemed the type that could just be a bpa pick at the right slot. Maybe adjust those thoughts

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

seems every draft I latch onto some riser, a guy for any number of reasons didn't really attract attention till a month after college football ended, this year my guy is Amerius Mims, he's bigger then big, longer then a 747, the guy has over 36 inch arms for goodness sakes, and even though he's only started about 6 or so games for Georgia due to early surgery last year, I expect he'll go top 20, his ceiling is so high, bit raw as a run blocker, but that should be expected with such limited play time, pass pro this kid is like a big brick wall, and he's only 21 yrs old.

not that he's my choice to draft even if he did last, just a kid that caught my attention :aok:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Any of those three additional picks, or even all three maybe, could become a good player.

:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Scott4Pack wrote:
08 Mar 2024 16:31
Any of those three additional picks, or even all three maybe, could become a good player.

Or, they could suck, as could any of the other eight

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Half Empty wrote:
08 Mar 2024 17:04
Scott4Pack wrote:

Said “Half Empty”

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2024 17:20
Half Empty wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

Said “Half Empty”
Jim Mora told me that "best player available" is the correct way to draft. Maybe that's how we ended up with Terrell Buckley.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2024 16:06
Do we not have our own 5th? What was that for?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Mar 2024 23:50
BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2024 16:06
Do we not have our own 5th? What was that for?
Suuuuuuulllllll

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BF004 wrote:
Half Empty wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

Said “Half Empty”
So true, that's why it's my screen name. However, can anything I said be refuted? I've always been one of the "I'd rather be pleasantly surprised" types who was just as happy in the '60s and the one-off teams with Favre and Rodgers but significantly less miserable than most in all the years where the Pack was a clear contender but bombed out. Obviously, a personal choice, either way.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Half Empty wrote:
09 Mar 2024 09:17
BF004 wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

Said “Half Empty”
So true, that's why it's my screen name. However, can anything I said be refuted? I've always been one of the "I'd rather be pleasantly surprised" types who was just as happy in the '60s and the one-off teams with Favre and Rodgers but significantly less miserable than most in all the years where the Pack was a clear contender but bombed out. Obviously, a personal choice, either way.

Yes. Sorry (not sorry) to say, that what you said CAN be refuted. The success level of Guty and the Packers makes a solid case that one or more of those three picks will be contributors. That is not provable. But your statement isn't either. So, it boils down to whether it is reasonable to hope for some level of success from one or more of those guys. And we have guys everywhere from UDFA to 1st round and everything in between that says they'll get a shot and some will have enough talent and determination to get by. Additionally, there might be one who falls through the cracks of the draft process that is a viable high-level guy who didn't draft well because of character issues or injuries or bad coaching. Plenty of reasons.

I'm not trying to be the "Half full" guy to offset your half empty. I'm just looking at the provable trend/performance and going from that.

Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Half Empty wrote:
09 Mar 2024 09:17
BF004 wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

Said “Half Empty”
so then until your pleasantly surprised, everything is a failure, sounds to me like a recipe to remain miserable except for a occasional surprise.

winning it all is as rare as frogs hair, if your definition of pleasant surprise is a Lombardi trophy it explains your negative Nancy disposition :thwap: :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Talk of Minnesota moving to 4 to get a QB.

I think Arizona should trade back from there. I get MHJ is a unique prospect. But if you drop from 4 to the highest bidder, maybe Minnesota, really work it.

Should be able to move back up to like 7-8 just fine and get Rome or Nabers.

Basically get either of those guys and probably and extra first and second worth of draft capital, vs just MHJ. Just smarter business imo for a team that needs a ton.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

My two favorite QBs in this draft (favorite, not best; like literally guys I root for) are Caleb Williams and JJ McCarthy and the rumors that Minnesota is moving up into JJ range and my two favorite guys in the class go to the Bears and Vikings is personally so disappointing to me.