AJ Dillon Returns to GB

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

if you can sign a vet that is a good locker room guy, that can catch, that knows the playbook, that can pass protect, and only costs a little over a million against the cap...its a no brainer. You do it.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Almost every opinion on sighing someone comes with the standard 'for the right price' caveat. Here, as noted, we get the player in question for the minimum cost, to begin with, and then a discount to that. If anyone suggests that this is not, indeed, a no-brainer signing, please close the thread.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Mar 2024 19:17
Very poor job explaining the why and how from blogger Andy.

AJ is a good guy. I hope his deal is basically guaranteed, because I hope he would be able to at least be somewhere he can make the roster. He wasn’t worth a second round pick, he was certainly not awful ha. He can do a lot of things better than very bottom of the roster backs…like catch and block
I believe that of the many who like to rattle off details about contracts and salary cap, very few actually even understand their own words. The most knowledgeable people in a field are able to explain it in a way that is not confusing to the average person.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Since this the Dillon thread, I figure that's who we're talking about. Sportrac has this explanation next to the chart - "A.J. Dillon signed a 1 year, $2,742,500 contract with the Green Bay Packers, including a $167,500 signing bonus, $2,742,500 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,742,500. In 2024, Dillon will earn a base salary of $2,575,000 and a signing bonus of $167,500, while carrying a cap hit of $1,292,500." Any questions?

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Half Empty wrote:
18 Mar 2024 13:52
Since this the Dillon thread, I figure that's who we're talking about. Sportrac has this explanation next to the chart - "A.J. Dillon signed a 1 year, $2,742,500 contract with the Green Bay Packers, including a $167,500 signing bonus, $2,742,500 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,742,500. In 2024, Dillon will earn a base salary of $2,575,000 and a signing bonus of $167,500, while carrying a cap hit of $1,292,500." Any questions?
There we go. Simple, easy, and to the point. Sick of all these wannabe nerds trying to show everyone how smart they think they are with this needless over analysis. Thank you.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Mar 2024 20:43
I see no upside from Dillon. Not as a RB. Not as a receiver. Not as a STs player. I’d rather draft a rookie get someone with potential than keep someone I know doesn’t have any.
Basically agree with this. AJ is getting low money however, so its fine I guess. But I am with you. At the start of training camp I am hoping there is plenty of RB talent in the mix, hopefully a draft pick or two or someone that has slid threw the cracks. The running game at the end of last year was huge in transforming our offense into something really good. It would be nice not to struggle if JJ gets banged up for a few games.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

MY_TAKE wrote:
18 Mar 2024 18:06
lupedafiasco wrote:
I see no upside from Dillon. Not as a RB. Not as a receiver. Not as a STs player. I’d rather draft a rookie get someone with potential than keep someone I know doesn’t have any.
Basically agree with this. AJ is getting low money however, so its fine I guess. But I am with you. At the start of training camp I am hoping there is plenty of RB talent in the mix, hopefully a draft pick or two or someone that has slid threw the cracks. The running game at the end of last year was huge in transforming our offense into something really good. It would be nice not to struggle if JJ gets banged up for a few games.
I’ve slightly changed my tune. The value of the contract is good. If he basically gives us what we got all these years from Taylor at RB it’s worth it. Dillon is a better runner and as good is pass pro. Probably slightly better receiver too so it’s not awful but I don’t want him being RB2.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Mar 2024 18:51
MY_TAKE wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
I’ve slightly changed my tune. The value of the contract is good. If he basically gives us what we got all these years from Taylor at RB it’s worth it. Dillon is a better runner and as good is pass pro. Probably slightly better receiver too so it’s not awful but I don’t want him being RB2.
AJ Dillon is 100x the football player and rb that Patrick Taylor is.

Taylor lacked brain cells.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Mar 2024 23:04
lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Mar 2024 18:51
MY_TAKE wrote:

AJ Dillon is 100x the football player and rb that Patrick Taylor is.

Taylor lacked brain cells.
Taylor is not going to be the 3rd RB. Wilson or someone drafted will be.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
18 Mar 2024 08:06
Jones/Jacobs are plug and play, Dillon needs carries to find his nitch :lol: lots of RB's are like that, Lacy imo was like that, when McCarthy limited him to 15 carries a game, Lacy declined
Unfortunately Dillon wasn't any good when he received a significant amount of carries last season either. As a side note, Lacy declined when he started to eat him out of the league :)
MY_TAKE wrote:
The running game at the end of last year was huge in transforming our offense into something really good.
Actually, it was mostly Aaron Jones though.