Packers are signing RB Josh Jacobs!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I feel like the idea of a Jacobs/Jones backfield sounds better than it actually would be. They are both 'backs that you need to give 20 totes minimum per game and let them get into a rhythm to get their best. With how good Love and this WR group is, we are not going to do that.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Labrev wrote:
22 Mar 2024 08:43
I feel like the idea of a Jacobs/Jones backfield sounds better than it actually would be. They are both 'backs that you need to give 20 totes minimum per game and let them get into a rhythm to get their best. With how good Love and this WR group is, we are not going to do that.
Don't understand looking for at least 20 carries for Aaron. One, there's the durability issue. More significantly, he's not averaged more than 15 carries per game with the Packers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

there isn't a RB that GOD made who doesn't improve with more touches, obviously there are considerations that are observed, can they handle a heavy work load, or do we have other offensive weapons that are better choices to use at times that limit the RB touches, imho all are true statements.

Jones did well getting 20 touches a game or more, but like most RB's the more touches increase the chance of injury, we now also have plenty of other key contributors on the offensive side of the ball.

Jacobs could go down game one, lost for the season, While Jones could bang out 1500 yrds for the Vikings, improbable, yes, possible, yes too, Guty took a shot at the improbable, lets hope he got it right.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
22 Mar 2024 09:08
there isn't a RB that GOD made who doesn't improve with more touches, obviously there are considerations that are observed, can they handle a heavy work load, or do we have other offensive weapons that are better choices to use at times that limit the RB touches, imho all are true statements.
I don't agree with this. I think some RB's are meant for a lesser workload. Anecdotal evidence might suggest they get stronger with more carries, but I think that is generally more the OL asserting it's will over a tired DL more than the RB actually getting better with more carries. Jones is not a 20 carry back. Never was and never will be. I think that tends to work in GB with our passing game because we usually don't have the patience or effectiveness to run that often. It will be interesting to see how Jacobs is used, but I will actually be pretty shocked if his usage is substantially different from how they used Jones.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
22 Mar 2024 09:49
Yoop wrote:
I don't agree with this. I think some RB's are meant for a lesser workload. Anecdotal evidence might suggest they get stronger with more carries, but I think that is generally more the OL asserting it's will over a tired DL more than the RB actually getting better with more carries. Jones is not a 20 carry back. Never was and never will be. I think that tends to work in GB with our passing game because we usually don't have the patience or effectiveness to run that often. It will be interesting to see how Jacobs is used, but I will actually be pretty shocked if his usage is substantially different from how they used Jones.

see I think the blocking stays the same and the RB picks up (better see's) the blocking strength and weakness as the game rolls out, obviously though it's probably a bit of both.

we are a pass first team thats the biggest reason Jones has worn a leash, the same as it was when Eddie Lacy was here, obviously that also leads to fresher legs when they are given the ball.

Jones is 5'10 and 210 lbs thats not a guy ya need to leash up, Jones should have been given 20 touches a game since his first season, but thats not possible in a platoon RB scheme specially when the #2 is a guy like Dillon who has to have more touches to even get going.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

See, now your second paragraph I agree with. That is why I stated I don't think Jacobs will be used materially different. So I don't really think there is much point in debating the 20 carry thing for the Packers specifically, but I also don't think it matters as much as some suggest for other teams, either. Now in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's, whole different story. But, in today's NFL where the pass is king, I think it is usually anecdotal for RB's to "perform better" with more carries.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
22 Mar 2024 11:34
See, now your second paragraph I agree with. That is why I stated I don't think Jacobs will be used materially different. So I don't really think there is much point in debating the 20 carry thing for the Packers specifically, but I also don't think it matters as much as some suggest for other teams, either. Now in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's, whole different story. But, in today's NFL where the pass is king, I think it is usually anecdotal for RB's to "perform better" with more carries.

I agree that some RB's, Dillon for example, Lacy another get better the more touches ya give them, there slower starters, and there vision (jmo) improves with each carry, possibly there patience improves as they realize walling off the cut back lane takes more time to seal and they sit a second longer for that to happen.

Where Jones or now Jacobs seem born with that patience and vision, just seems like more god given ability, they can walk in cold and do well from there first touch, whatever, some seem to have it and others have to acquire it again with every start :idn:

even so I could see some games with Jacobs getting 18 or 20 touches, and Dillon only 10, hopefully our run to pass ratio stays the same at about 54 to 46 pass, to me these days thats a good balance.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

APB wrote:
22 Mar 2024 06:51
Ok, sure, but $5.7 mil "at some point" is about as "significant" as a popcorn fart in a hurricane in today's cap age.
You're right, I shouldn't have used the phrase significantly higher cap hit. My bad.
Yoop wrote:

Jones did well getting 20 touches a game or more, but like most RB's the more touches increase the chance of injury, we now also have plenty of other key contributors on the offensive side of the ball.

Jacobs could go down game one, lost for the season, While Jones could bang out 1500 yrds for the Vikings, improbable, yes, possible, yes too, Guty took a shot at the improbable, lets hope he got it right.
It's interesting to note that Jones only received 20 or more rushing attempts in 10 regular season games with the Packers. He did very well in those, averaging 5.63 yards per carry.