Legal Tampering News and Rumors

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
20 Mar 2024 11:56
Yet if we draft a receiver, and it is clear before his rookie contract expires that he is really good, I want to keep them.

I do not agree with this idea pervading the forum that they are going to be expensive, so let them walk and keep drafting WRs over and over.

Well, so be it, an elite WR is worth their money; part of the value of a draft pick is that you (ideally) get guys to play for many years.

We had Adams for 8 years. His 1k-yard seasons were Years 5, 7, and 8 (he was 3 yards away from 1k in both Years 3 and 6). He also had two more 1k seasons as a Raider, so 9 and 10 were also very productive for him. His rookie-contract years were (comparatively) unimpressive.

You are going to miss out on that kind of play if you refuse to pony up for your homegrown talent, the very prime of their career.
No you definitely keep 1 or 2 on second contracts. But we have 5 quality guys. So it is inevatible you don't keep all of them on a 2nd contract. You determine the true difference makers and draft replace the guys who are replaceable.

Decisions will eventually have to be made. At that time it will be good to have a guy on year 2 of a rookie contract to fill their shoes.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
20 Mar 2024 11:34

GPG, you damn right I got a grudge, all I've ever gotten from you and others is push back for wanting to draft receivers. :thwap:
No. You get push back because you tilt every discussion to one or two pet topic narratives whether the facts or direction of the conversation dictates it or not.

All roads lead back to not drafting a WR for 7 years and Gary being a bad draft pick. It has been this story on 90% of posts since 2017.

Makes me hate Jimmy Graham even more now. If he just caught the damn ball all of this narrative would have been for naught.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Mar 2024 12:24
Yoop wrote:

GPG, you damn right I got a grudge, all I've ever gotten from you and others is push back for wanting to draft receivers. :thwap:
It's not even been a week and you back to this nonsense? You didn't get pushback for waning to draft receivers...
the defense for the 3 stooges amounts to the same thing, :idn:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
20 Mar 2024 13:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

It's not even been a week and you back to this nonsense? You didn't get pushback for waning to draft receivers...
It doesn't. Drafting 3 mid-to-late round WR's is good process as it substantially increases your odds of getting a hit. It doesn't replace the need to keep stoking the fire with better talent. Very few (none that I know of) suggested otherwise. As a fan base, we were in on every big name WR tied to the Packers both in The Draft, via trade market and FA. They are two very distinct and separate arguments and you keep trying to combine them into one.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
20 Mar 2024 13:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

That didn't happen either.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I only defend one of the stooges. :P In fairness, that particular stooge now has more SB rings than Errant Roger. :rotf:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
20 Mar 2024 15:15
I only defend one of the stooges. :P In fairness, that particular stooge now has more SB rings than Errant Roger. :rotf:
Yeah I always had a soft spot in my heart for MVS.
Yoop wrote:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Remember everyone, it's Wide Receiver Fever season. If you find yourself staring wistfully at a photo of Darnell Mooney, or watching film of a 6'5" receiver from Worcester Polytechnic Institute, seek help immediately.

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

About that $20m or so of cap space still available...

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Sign me up for Simmonds. But not at $20M.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Mar 2024 18:38
Sign me up for Simmonds. But not at $20M.
He won’t cost nearly that. Considering it’s this late in FA and he’s a true UFA being cut he should go for less than $10M IMO. I’m willing to bet with his age the hangul is length of a deal at this point.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Well damn, if we had some cap space, I’d have give them a 3rd this year.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Would love Simmons. Really want a player who can play both Free and box/strong safety to add more confusion.

Simmons will be 31 this year. He has probably 2 - 3 years of prime left. Simmons has also earned $63 million in his career.

His goals may be different. Perhaps being on a young and ascending squad paired with a great and young safety is a higher priority for him.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
23 Mar 2024 07:26

Well damn, if we had some cap space, I’d have give them a 3rd this year.
The Chiefs have plenty of cap space available. I would MUCH rather have a highly paid and motivated Sneed on my roster than trade him away for a third and exchange of 7th round picks. I have no idea of the "why" in this deal.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

APB wrote:
23 Mar 2024 09:37
The Chiefs have plenty of cap space available. I would MUCH rather have a highly paid and motivated Sneed on my roster than trade him away for a third and exchange of 7th round picks. I have no idea of the "why" in this deal.
The Chiefs cleared nearly $20 million of cap space by trading Sneed, they didn't have a ton before making the move. With them having talented players like McDuffie, Watson and Williams at cornerback with all of them still on rookie deals it might make sense to not pay Sneed elite money.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
20 Mar 2024 12:31
Labrev wrote:
20 Mar 2024 11:56
Yet if we draft a receiver, and it is clear before his rookie contract expires that he is really good, I want to keep them.

I do not agree with this idea pervading the forum that they are going to be expensive, so let them walk and keep drafting WRs over and over.

Well, so be it, an elite WR is worth their money; part of the value of a draft pick is that you (ideally) get guys to play for many years.

We had Adams for 8 years. His 1k-yard seasons were Years 5, 7, and 8 (he was 3 yards away from 1k in both Years 3 and 6). He also had two more 1k seasons as a Raider, so 9 and 10 were also very productive for him. His rookie-contract years were (comparatively) unimpressive.

You are going to miss out on that kind of play if you refuse to pony up for your homegrown talent, the very prime of their career.
No you definitely keep 1 or 2 on second contracts. But we have 5 quality guys. So it is inevatible you don't keep all of them on a 2nd contract. You determine the true difference makers and draft replace the guys who are replaceable.

Decisions will eventually have to be made. At that time it will be good to have a guy on year 2 of a rookie contract to fill their shoes.
Was listening to the Athletic Football podcast last week and they made some observations about free agency relevant to this discussion.

In short, they looked at the number of multi-year starter-level contracts given out to WRs and OTs this year and realized there were only two of each. (Jeudy wasn’t counted since he was a trade).

Mooney and Ridley were the only two WRs and Jonah Williams and someone else I don’t recall were the only two OTs (I think Tyron Smith was only a one year deal)

The point they were making is that these positions just don’t hit the market. If teams have a good one, they generally keep them. And that scarcity on the market is really driving the price up.

Now that isn’t the only thing driving the markets. They differentiate between the interior OL market where the price tag is skyrocketing but there are lots of hits on the market and the rebounding RB market where there were as always a lot of players available, but the top of the market saw more guys get paid than the past two years.

Just some more food for thought on the issue

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Mar 2024 09:42
Jonah Williams and someone else I don’t recall were the only two OTs (I think Tyron Smith was only a one year deal)
Nijman?

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
25 Mar 2024 10:41
YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Mar 2024 09:42
Jonah Williams and someone else I don’t recall were the only two OTs (I think Tyron Smith was only a one year deal)
Nijman?
I don't think he was given what they were considering a "starter-level" contract, which just saying it here sounds arbitrary, but is based on their review of literally all the NFL contracts and what non-rookie contract starters are paid. I know for WR they were looking at anything above $10M/year and I remember some discussion for OTs about how there are literally two NFL contracts around the $7M/year mark that is this borderline "compete for a starting job but maybe not preferred starter" and that everything else is $5M/year or below or $XXM/year or above (I'm thinking it was 12 million but again, can't recall the exact details)

It was an interesting discussion; I think it was the Friday episode. I'd recommend it. Unfortunately, the Athletic Football Podcast feed combines all of their NFL pods into one stream and I find some more interesting or relevant than others. Like, I think it's Thursdays where they have Dane on for "Prospects to pros" (which I like/love) and Saturdays it's former GM Randy Mueller for a GM's perspective (which I don't care about at all). But Tuesdays and Fridays right now are just Robert Mays and Nate Tice (usually) talking about current football-related things. Obviously, free agency-heavy the past two weeks, but shifting into draft-heavy now. Tice (and Brugler, of course) stay on top of college/draft stuff year round. Mays is mostly NFL-centered and catches up on draft stuff as they go.

I've always been a big fan of Mays' work, despite him being a Bears fan.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Told y'all I liked Mays despite his being a Bears fan:

:lol: