2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
22 Mar 2024 06:54
CWIMM wrote:
22 Mar 2024 02:24
YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Mar 2024 13:12

Yeah that’s wild.

I wonder if he can play football
Alfano was a top ranked recruit back in 2019 (#5 overall by 247Sports, Rivals and USA Today) and ended up with Alabama. He never played a game for the Crimson Tide and entered the transfer portal in November that year with Saban saying he basically quit. He was recruited by Colorado but ended up not appearing in any games for them as well.

It seems he was rostered on two junior college teams since, with the only playing time I was able to find coming with Lackawanna College last year.

While he was definitely a talented player in high school it seems he has some off the field issues, which might result in him not being added to an NFL roster.
That's good info right there... :aok:
good info for anyone thinking of drafting him, thats some bad info if your Alfonzo.

he sounds like a player that would be hard to coach.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Yoop wrote: ↑18 Mar 2024 10:26
when was the last time the Packers used a 1st rounder on a interior OL man, I can't remember them ever doing it, and I sure don't see it happening this draft either.

CWIMM
Aaron Taylor in 1994.

thanks for helping my memory :)

I new it was a long time ago, 30 years, course Barton can also play outside so he isn't inside only, and we like the ability of our OL to be versatile, he seems like a solid draft choice if we do take him.

after taking a closer look he could be BPA at our slot, seen several mocks now with 9 OL off board in round one, bumper crop position in this years draft.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

How many offense linemen can we take?

I think we could do something unprecedented and take 5.

Almost bank of 4 making, keep one of Jones l, Tenuta, Newman.

Should be able to find swing tackle and interior depth from that lot.

Guess I’m expecting at least 3, kind of hoping for 4.

Jenkins and Tom the only guys you know you want there for a while yet.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

image.png
image.png (36.82 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Doesn't note it here, but I gave up a future 2nd too to get that Seattle first.

What do you guys think about turning 25 or 41 into getting a 2025 first? With the draft in Green Bay, that could be a ton of fun.

Also make some sense to spread out this draft capital a little to keep a nice long window open for the indefinite future.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
22 Mar 2024 10:40
image.png

What do you guys think about turning 25 or 41 into getting a 2025 first? With the draft in Green Bay, that could be a ton of fun.

Also make some sense to spread out this draft capital a little to keep a nice long window open for the indefinite future.
Outside of a couple of position groups, it almost sounds like many are underwhelmed at this year's draft class.
Green Bay already has a good roster, especially if we fill maybe two more players in certain spots.
I'm sure Guty wouldnt' mind stocking the shelves for next year, unless he can trade a draft pick for maybe an ILB someplace?
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Would be thrilled with this draft. I am really hoping a big time player like Latu drops to us.

Also really like Haloni as a Day 3 back. He is a lot of fun to watch.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (115.43 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Mar 2024 18:45
BF004 wrote:
image.png

Outside of a couple of position groups, it almost sounds like many are underwhelmed at this year's draft class.
Green Bay already has a good roster, especially if we fill maybe two more players in certain spots.
I'm sure Guty wouldnt' mind stocking the shelves for next year, unless he can trade a draft pick for maybe an ILB someplace?
Completely disagree. This is an incredibly strong draft class IMO. WR has an incredible class. OL is very well stacked at OT and OC. CB has a great group. There’s quite a few QBs. Edge I think it’s very under rated. The position groups that are weak are the ones that just don’t have value. ILB, RB, and S just don’t matter to the league anymore.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Mar 2024 21:50
Scott4Pack wrote:
BF004 wrote:
image.png

Completely disagree. This is an incredibly strong draft class IMO. WR has an incredible class. OL is very well stacked at OT and OC. CB has a great group. There’s quite a few QBs. Edge I think it’s very under rated. The position groups that are weak are the ones that just don’t have value. ILB, RB, and S just don’t matter to the league anymore.
imo all the teams allowing ILB, safety and RB's to hit FA has more to do with teams clearing cap, which is partially your point but also the quest to adjust defensive schemes, which is what we are doing, certain type players fit one scheme better then others.

increased pass rush production forces offensive changes, everyone is using 50% play action now or even more, that adds a necessity for improvement at lber and safety, which imo is what we are seeing with teams making changes at those two positions.

RB has been a highly rotational position for years, could say disposable position, the good ones though still get paid

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
BF004 wrote:
image.png

Yeah I think it's a good draft for premium positions. Our issue is our immediate perceived needs aren't at premium positions.

I like the strategy therefore of buying the cheaper positions and go into the draft with just getting studs. We will have a stud fall to 25. It may be Edge, Tackle, Center (JPJ), Cornerback, WR....just gotta take who falls.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Da Studs from the last draft, we all suspect will blossom, the Athletic does too, here's a article some of you may have seen, however I'am sure some don't subscribe to the Athletic, here's a clip and a link for subscribers

Give me Karl Brooks and Dontayvion Wicks. Brooks flashed on the defensive line as a sixth-round rookie with four passes defensed, four sacks, a forced fumble and two fumble recoveries. There are no departures ahead of him on the depth chart, but expect him to make more of those plays. Wicks is a flat-out playmaker and is one of the four or five guys who could be the Packers’ No. 1 wide receiver on any given day. A lot more people around the league are going to know who he is next season.

https://theathletic.com/5354046/2024/03 ... ron-jones/

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

lupedafiasco wrote:
The position groups that are weak are the ones that just don’t have value. ILB, RB, and S just don’t matter to the league anymore.
Well, the Packers just spent a ton of money on a safety and running back. It seems the league still cares about those positions as well.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Sick

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

One trade up option I crafted that could be a potential for Nabers or more likely Harrison Jr would be to 7 with Tennessee.

Using my trade value calculator, would cost us 25 and 58, and next years 2nd, to get to 7.

25 and next year's first would fall between 4 and 5 using trade value charts. But 4 gunna be super expensive, possible QB spot and Marvin Harrison available there and both very needed by Arizona and 4 and LAC at 5.

Plus our 2025 1st probably not expected to be too high, so I honestly don't think we could get to 5 with that. However after the likely QB spots go, I think the trade values would pretty much immediately regress back to normal after like 6.

Not saying we should should do either, but just likely what it would have to take.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I know one of you guys have this (looking at BF and Pckfn mostly), but does anyone have the historic workout thresholds by position for the Packers?

Like we don't usually take an Olineman who runs less that a 7.5 3-cone (just an example). I used to have it, but lost it.
RIP JustJeff

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

BF004 wrote:
27 Mar 2024 15:16
One trade up option I crafted that could be a potential for Nabers or more likely Harrison Jr would be to 7 with Tennessee.

Using my trade value calculator, would cost us 25 and 58, and next years 2nd, to get to 7.

25 and next year's first would fall between 4 and 5 using trade value charts. But 4 gunna be super expensive, possible QB spot and Marvin Harrison available there and both very needed by Arizona and 4 and LAC at 5.

Plus our 2025 1st probably not expected to be too high, so I honestly don't think we could get to 5 with that. However after the likely QB spots go, I think the trade values would pretty much immediately regress back to normal after like 6.

Not saying we should should do either, but just likely what it would have to take.
I don't think the Packers would be able to move up as much as you suggested by offering those picks. For example, in 2021 the Dolphins traded the 12th overall pick to move up to sixth but still had to include a first rounder in 2022 to make it work.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
27 Mar 2024 16:00
I know one of you guys have this (looking at BF and Pckfn mostly), but does anyone have the historic workout thresholds by position for the Packers?

Like we don't usually take an Olineman who runs less that a 7.5 3-cone (just an example). I used to have it, but lost it.
This is old, but it's a great breakdown and charts the Packers picks within those threshholds to see outliers and how strong the correlations are. I might reach out to Justis and see if he has continued updating this.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/justis-20 ... sholds-638

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
29 Mar 2024 08:53
paco wrote:

This is old, but it's a great breakdown and charts the Packers picks within those threshholds to see outliers and how strong the correlations are. I might reach out to Justis and see if he has continued updating this.

The guys who have continued this work is primarily Jacob Morely and Ross Uglem.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
29 Mar 2024 08:53
paco wrote:

The guys who have continued this work is primarily Jacob Morely and Ross Uglem.

Sorry. Where are my manners. blogger Jacbob and blogger Uglem.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I have seen enough. Drake Maye is the #1 QB in this draft class. Overthinking it season is going hard this year. Whatever happens I just don't want to see Maye in purple.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
29 Mar 2024 10:32
I have seen enough. Drake Maye is the #1 QB in this draft class. Overthinking it season is going hard this year. Whatever happens I just don't want to see Maye in purple.
I still have Caleb number one but definitely think it’s a two person top tier and the other two are a step back.

But also whichever QB lands in Minnesota has a better chance of whichever QB lands in Chicago or New England because of the coaching and supporting casts on offense.

So I don’t love that