2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Mar 2024 11:05
NCF wrote:
29 Mar 2024 10:32
I have seen enough. Drake Maye is the #1 QB in this draft class. Overthinking it season is going hard this year. Whatever happens I just don't want to see Maye in purple.
I still have Caleb number one but definitely think it’s a two person top tier and the other two are a step back.

But also whichever QB lands in Minnesota has a better chance of whichever QB lands in Chicago or New England because of the coaching and supporting casts on offense.

So I don’t love that
ahh, I think we better get used to the changes taking place in Chicago, while eberflus is still in charge, he's in charge of a new QB's coach and OC and has a GM that is fed up with status quo, they just upgraded the WR position and intend if rumors are true to do so again shortly after taking Williams.

not saying the Bears will amount to north div champs, just that I worry more about the Bears this season then I do the Vikes.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Nah, the Bears were for sure a team on the rise last year and I generally like Shane Waldron as an OC to develop a QB.... but the OL, the organizational consistency, the fact that the weapons are going to be changing (Allen is a one-year rental), the fact that the QB coach is in his first role as a full-time QB coach (was assistant QB coach in Seattle) and the fact that Caleb Williams feels like a guy who needs a year of tough coaching and ego management feels like a mixed bag on the "Chicago finally develops a QB" front.

And I don't fear the Vikings THIS year, but I think they have a better long-term chance to develop their new QB than the other QB-needy teams. Not sure about Washington.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Mar 2024 11:37
Nah, the Bears were for sure a team on the rise last year and I generally like Shane Waldron as an OC to develop a QB.... but the OL, the organizational consistency, the fact that the weapons are going to be changing (Allen is a one-year rental), the fact that the QB coach is in his first role as a full-time QB coach (was assistant QB coach in Seattle) and the fact that Caleb Williams feels like a guy who needs a year of tough coaching and ego management feels like a mixed bag on the "Chicago finally develops a QB" front.

And I don't fear the Vikings THIS year, but I think they have a better long-term chance to develop their new QB than the other QB-needy teams. Not sure about Washington.
I just really think Chicago made a big mistake by not moving on from Eberflus. Unless they have immediate success the outside pressure is going to be finding an offensive HC to pair with Williams. In comes a new system and then we are already pushing 5th-year option discussions and/or contract extension indecision. I just think they are set up to fail against a typical success calendar. The smartest thing they could do is just ride this out with Eberflus, but I just don't think they will at the first taste of adversity.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:

we'll see, imo the biggest reason Chicago hasn't done well developing a QB is do to there run first philosophy, even though they've had some quality receivers, they to quickly abandon the pass and run, they've either had poor receiver talent, or poor pass blocking, or QB's that haul the ball in and run after the first 2 reads are covered as was common with Fields

even back in the Cutler seasons there passing offense was limited, rarely did they ever have more then one quality receiver per season.

while Allen may only be a 1 yr rental, they already have DJ Moore and again Rumer is slot 9 will be used to get the best of either Harrison, Nabors, ODunze, or Thomas, they also just bought RB Swift.

my point is the Bears we see this year wont be the Bears we saw last year, and Yoho while I might not be as well read as you about this stuff ( never was either :) ) I can still pick up on trends, and what I see now with Chicago is change, and it resembles the changes I saw with Detroit several years ago

Also Caleb Williams is as walk on ready as any QB I've seen drafted in the last few years, I don't know where any of this talk that Mayes is the more ready prospect is coming from, imo it's just draft hype.

maybe it's my bias for the Bears over the Vikes :rotf:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
29 Mar 2024 13:26
Also Caleb Williams is as walk on ready as any QB I've seen drafted in the last few years, I don't know where any of this talk that Mayes is the more ready prospect is coming from, imo it's just draft hype.
I think it is just coming from me. The Draft hype has Maye as maybe the 3rd or 4th best QB in this pool and I am beyond baffled by that. As a very opinionated, set in your ways kind of guy, how do you think the city of Chicago and those fans are going to react when they lose a few games and Williams comes to his presser with lip gloss and painted fingernails? They are going to destroy that poor kid. Not fair and I do not wish it upon him personally, but damn right I am going to eat that up only because it's the Bears. I also have to admit that it is probably impacting my analysis of these two slightly, it should and it has to, but I also do think Maye is objectively the higher ceiling QB prospect.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:

Their entire offseason has been super puzzling. It's like they are all-in on going 9-8. It's very disjointed between 2024 and any kind of long-term view of their roster. Based on other conversations being had here, maybe it is smart to do what they can to have some early success this year, but I just do not get the vision.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
29 Mar 2024 13:51
Yoop wrote:
29 Mar 2024 13:26
I think it is just coming from me. The Draft hype has Maye as maybe the 3rd or 4th best QB in this pool and I am beyond baffled by that. As a very opinionated, set in your ways kind of guy, how do you think the city of Chicago and those fans are going to react when they lose a few games and Williams comes to his presser with lip gloss and painted fingernails? They are going to destroy that poor kid. Not fair and I do not wish it upon him personally, but damn right I am going to eat that up only because it's the Bears. I also have to admit that it is probably impacting my analysis of these two slightly, it should and it has to, but I also do think Maye is objectively the higher ceiling QB prospect.
I think some down grading of Williams has to do with size and head strong comments he's made, that pink nails and phone stuff seems mostly a stunt or a act then reality, better be, or your right, the fans in Chicago will eat him alive :rotf:

I'd sit every drafted QB a year, but thats not how this stuff shakes out much any more, still of these top 3 or 4 QB's only Williams imo is walk on ready.

Chicago has to change it's offensive philosophy from heavy run, to pass, develop better passing schemes, or it wont matter who is at QB, imo that's what has held that team back for years.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cancelled by the forum elites.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

YoHoChecko wrote:

The one question I have is can K. Oconnell coach up a young or rookie QB? His offenses seem to work well with veteran QBs but last year with Cousins hurt, except for maybe one game, the QB play was kind of a disaster. I know I am hoping he can't :lol: Like I said earlier. The NFC north is going to be interesting.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

MY_TAKE wrote:
30 Mar 2024 06:52
YoHoChecko wrote:

The one question I have is can K. Oconnell coach up a young or rookie QB? His offenses seem to work well with veteran QBs but last year with Cousins hurt, except for maybe one game, the QB play was kind of a disaster. I know I am hoping he can't :lol: Like I said earlier. The NFC north is going to be interesting.
The Vikings quarterbacks were absolutely atrocious behind Cousins. Was honestly shocked how successful Dobbs was until he got figured out.

Hard for me to blame any QB coach for MN's quarterback play after Cousins went down last year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Well good thing they got Sam Darnold now, can consider the position fixed.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

BF004 wrote:
30 Mar 2024 09:32
Yeah this will be the fourth team he's fixed, and he's only 26!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

mnkcarp wrote:
30 Mar 2024 11:34
BF004 wrote:
30 Mar 2024 09:32
Yeah this will be the fourth team he's fixed, and he's only 26!

haaaa, Sam "the fixer" Donald, got a nice ring to it :rotf:

personally I'am hoping the vikes sell the next few years of draft picks to move up to slot 4 and draft McCarthy, there is nothing better for a Packer fan then having divisional opponents going through QB controversy, and no high picks available to shortly right that predicament :aok:

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

go pak go wrote:
30 Mar 2024 08:59
MY_TAKE wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

The Vikings quarterbacks were absolutely atrocious behind Cousins. Was honestly shocked how successful Dobbs was until he got figured out.

Hard for me to blame any QB coach for MN's quarterback play after Cousins went down last year.
Right. My question remains is w ill he put out the best game plan for his young signal caller, or will it be too much and over his head, so to speak. He doesn't have Cousins or Stafford.

Lastly, What little success Dobbs had was just him off script running around freelancing. I just don't see a rookie coming in and running the same kind of offense Cousins did with any success. I would be surprised. Maybe Darnold is their best option? :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

MY_TAKE wrote:
30 Mar 2024 16:36
go pak go wrote:
30 Mar 2024 08:59
MY_TAKE wrote:

Right. My question remains is w ill he put out the best game plan for his young signal caller, or will it be too much and over his head, so to speak. He doesn't have Cousins or Stafford.

Lastly, What little success Dobbs had was just him off script running around freelancing. I just don't see a rookie coming in and running the same kind of offense Cousins did with any success. I would be surprised. Maybe Darnold is their best option? :idn:
I am truly of the mindset to never start a rookie. I think there is too much risk in the rookie learning bad habits and getting his confidence crushed.
I also don't think it's bad to draft a quarterback, have him sit and lose. Use the following year's draft class to build a roster.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

image.png
image.png (48.13 KiB) Viewed 347 times
I was bored on a rainy day. So I put this together. And I really liked trading back TWICE from the first round. (Not that Guty would everrrrrr do that.) And some real surprises along the way in stacking up some picks.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't like Ruke before Round three for us.

He is a raw player. He is a development player and his upside and play strength is along the lines of a player we already have. (reminds me of Wyatt).

Obviously get more interested at the end of day 2 but I don't see the fit in the first two rounds with the Packers. Give me Kris Jenkins at 41 instead.

As for Walker (WR), I thought I liked him for us big time in Rd 3...until I noticed he's a body catcher. Was hopeful he could be a good Watson #2 with his size and speed but I have no time for body catchers. Also noticed he never got any seperation in his highlights. I didn't like that. So I am a pass on him.

Love every other pick from Nubin to Puni.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

A little something different. I'm gonna give 5 - 7 guys who I like in ranges: (no particular order)

1st Pick (25)
1. Laiatu Latu
2. Chop Robinson (I know he doesn't fit Packer molds but I love watching this kid play)
3. Quynion Mitchel
4. Terrion Arnold
5. Cooper DeJean
6. Jackson Powers-Johnson

Early 2nd (41)
1. Tyler Nubin
2. Jordan Morgan
3. Edgerin Cooper
4. Payton Wilson
5. TJ Tampa
6. Zach Frazier
7. Troy Fautanu

Late 2nd (58)
1. Max Melton
2. Junior Colson
3. Cole Bishop
4. Tre Benson
5. Roman Wilson
6. Kris Jenkins
7. Mike Sainristil

90 - 126 Picks (3rd and 4th)
1. Trevin Wallace
2. Roger Rosengarten
3. Renardo Green
4. Dominick Puni
5. Andru Phillips
6. Marshawn Kneeland
7. Marshawn Lloyd (he might be my favorite RB in this class)
Last edited by go pak go on 03 Apr 2024 07:28, edited 2 times in total.
Yoop wrote:

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Mar 2024 11:05
But also whichever QB lands in Minnesota has a better chance of whichever QB lands in Chicago or New England because of the coaching and supporting casts on offense.
It's possible Jared Mayo ends up being a really good coach in New England.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

$17 for the CHTV Draft Guide this year?!?! GTFO.

Read More. Post Less.