2024 Draft Day 2 Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Boo

Let Gute Cook
37%
#DeJeanNoMatterWhat
11%
Ted hates playmakerz
11%
We making 4 picks today.
42%

Total votes: 19

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Bucks just took the Pacers to overtime. :clap:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Valentine on Jordan Addison, DJ Moore, or Amron St brown should be fun
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

APB wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:15
Most here would have been happy with Cooper at 41 a week ago.

Today, it seems, it’s a catastrophe.

<sigh>
And it's a catastrophe plus two picks, lol.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I haven't followed the draft before the draft for a few years now. Its very relaxing to not care who is on the board. All those high value guys are there for a reason.

I'm mostly thinking need. Like to see an OT and ILB for sure. Now a S, C, and CB. A dynamic player at WR or RB (+returner) would be nice. Core ST day 3 (TE, LB, S)
Last edited by Waldo on 26 Apr 2024 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:15
Most here would have been happy with Cooper at 41 a week ago.

Today, it seems, it’s a catastrophe.

<sigh>
This is still residual round one agnst. We want Cooper at 41 just fine. But we want secondary help. And we're getting sad/frustrated that we might have missed our best two chances to add it.

Cooper is an excellent pick. Be excited. Praise it. Enjoy it. He can be a versatile piece.

Now, I don't think he's a green dot Mike and so I still want that. But Cooper is great. What we have added is fine. What we need is getting jarring. Bullard is still there. If not, DTD and Oladipo are good 3rd round options. I'm not giving up on what we need. But the paths to putting together the defense of our dreams is more narrow now than it was 48 hours ago.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 26 Apr 2024 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I don't know anything about Dejean. But I used to sit back and trust the plan on draft day. If there was a guy I wanted and we sat on our ass and got sniped then my default position was: guess he wasn't as good as I thought. "It's a better strategy not to overpay, and be patient".

Well, I don't believe that anymore because too many times, our drafts sucked ass while the players the fans wanted ended up better than the boring linemen we moved to other positions or whatever. And the good teams who made bold moves ended up getting rewarded for them. I think our mentality is still stuck in early-FA (1990s) mode, when overpaying was common and complete whiffs happened more often than they do now.

I usually watch the draft with my friend who is an Eagles fan, and for as long as I can remember on draft night, he has a guy or guys in mind that he wants, and his GM goes out and gets those guys, and more. Every draft he ends the night drunk and happy, while we pick a boring player (or trade out of R1 completely) and I cope by telling myself "oh this guy is bound to be good, they know more than me". And since I have been watching with my friend, his team has built a SB team, completely tore it down, and then built another SB team. And our team has been a revolving door of mediocre "project" picks, most of which end up being solid starters but nothing more. I don't think anybody thinks Gary is not a good to great player. But that's what I am talking about. Spend a 1st on a raw talent. Take 3-4 years to develop him into... a good starter. Meanwhile the good teams blow up their roster twice over in that period of time and get true game changers.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Waldo wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:18
I haven't followed the draft before the draft for a few years now. Its very relaxing to not care who is on the board. All those high value guys are there for a reason.
Good way to do it. I take the optimistic side and assume they know what they are doing. I wait until training camp to complain when these guys are getting steamrolled.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I'm convinced that Guty has an Ace in the hole. Some Safety that he knows will sign with us after the draft. He just can't pass on all those guys, right?

No slight on Cooper. I'm hopeful he's gonna be great at making big plays. But we'll see what happens next.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I'm chillin. Lots of guys I really liked went right before our pick but none of these picks crush me, just wanted to fast-forward and see who we got. Speaking of, great pick! :mrgreen: :aok:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Scott4Pack wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:21
I'm convinced that Guty has an Ace in the hole. Some Safety that he knows will sign with us after the draft. He just can't pass on all those guys, right?

No slight on Cooper. I'm hopeful he's gonna be great at making big plays. But we'll see what happens next.
Worst case scenario Johnson starting with McKinney sounds a lot better than Johnson starting with Ford.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Big victory tonight for team “Realist”. We’ve gained a valuable soldier. YoHo doesn’t usually fight with us in battle, but it is damn good to have him. Welcome Yoho, Welcome.

That said…
1) I have no problem with drafting this linebacker over the Caucasian.

2) kool aid would have jived well with Jaire. Would have been some real swag back there. I think the org is a little “swagged out” after Jaire showed so much “personality” this year.

3) Cooper prolly a fine pic. Certainly another need.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Great Edge Cooper pick.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'll calm down, but there are very very very few men in the world who can be the highly instinctive, versatile chess piece I wanted in the defensive secondary and we've gone from two options to one. No single pick needs to be any single position. But there's a checklist of things you want from an overall draft class and we're getting close to missing out on one big item on my checklist when we came SO so close to it.

And having a team trade right in front of you to take everyone's favorite fit is always going to be frustrating, Don't act like it's weird to have an emotional disappointment reaction to missing on a draft favorite by one pick on a trade up. That's universally tough to watch as a fan. Don't shame the emotional rawness. This is not the second quarter of an individual game, It's a 4 year contract. It's an emotional time.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I'm just glad we drafted defense and OL. I'll be happy with a sleeper RB or another OL or another LB or an interior defensive lineman.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Where’s muh Edge cooper thread, someone get it going. I’m on phone at a bar.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BF004 wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:38
Where’s muh Edge cooper thread, someone get it going. I’m on phone at a bar.
I can do it :beer2:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Interesting.

Based on the Rich Hill trade chart, the Packers traded a pick worth 146 points for three picks worth 146 points.

Based on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart the Packers traded a pick worth 490 points for three picks worth 489.6 points.

That's what you call balance.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I was pretty sure we'd have to trade up for Dejean, ya snooze, ya loose, Cooper is a good pick, and he could still trade for a DB he likes, this is about where we thought the safeties would start to go.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:31
I'll calm down, but there are very very very few men in the world who can be the highly instinctive, versatile chess piece I wanted in the defensive secondary and we've gone from two options to one. No single pick needs to be any single position. But there's a checklist of things you want from an overall draft class and we're getting close to missing out on one big item on my checklist when we came SO so close to it.

And having a team trade right in front of you to take everyone's favorite fit is always going to be frustrating, Don't act like it's weird to have an emotional disappointment reaction to missing on a draft favorite by one pick on a trade up. That's universally tough to watch as a fan. Don't shame the emotional rawness. This is not the second quarter of an individual game, It's a 4 year contract. It's an emotional time.
You’re just getting a taste of the smug attitude that can run rampant around these parts.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Sinnot taken. Some talk of H-back for us. Like him but not in the 2nd round.